H-Pattern Shifter - TH8 RS vs resistance modded G27

• Thread starter itrdc5
  • 4 comments

itrdc5

Premium
Australia
Melbourne
Note: These are based on my own subjective impressions. Your view may well be different.

I replaced my G27 shifter with a TH8 RS. As you all probably know the G27 shifter feels plasticky and offers very little resistance. The TH8 RS is better, much more solid but in H-pattern form, far from perfect. Its shaft and throw are a little too long and the resistance is on the light side. Sure, you can tighten the ball screw for stiffer resistance but this resistance feels like you are pushing against very thick liquid. All it does is effectively slow down your shift. The shift knob looks good but is very light and toy like.

However, the TH8 RS turns out to be quite moddable. I replaced it with a shorter shaft and also replaced the shift knob. I also reduced the throw with a shorter throw shift plate. Made 2 versions of this; one gated and one with the gates pretty much removed. Thrustmaster even provides software that allows you to configure the gear detection zones. After doing all these, I must say, I am very pleased with the TH8 RS in manual mode.

However, I came across this G27 (also G25) mod on a Japanese website. It was so intriguing I just had to try it. After contacting the modder, I found out that you had to send the G27 shifter to him to be modded. There is also a mod for the G25 which you can buy as a kit. Anyway, I ended up sending the G27 to him to be modded. It was his first time dealing with someone from overseas. After about 3 weeks, the G27 shifter came back, so it was time to test it against my recently modded TH8 RS. How did it stack up?

The modded G27 feels much better than the original. In terms of resistance, it is about the same as how I have my TH8 RS. There is a bit of weird sloshy noise when you shift but the shifts are short and precise and feel very natural, with some resemblance to the shifters that I like in real cars; Mazda MX5 and Honda S2000, also my own Integra Type R (with a short shift kit, the original's throw is a bit long). There is an initial resistance and then it shifts into gear. Resistance is not high but much better than original. For me, it provides more confidence in manic sims like Richard Burns Rally. In circuit based sims, it probably doesn't matter as much as you have more time to shift.

Since I can only use one H-pattern shifter, well, I chose the modded G27 over the modded TH8 RS. However, since the TH8 RS is such a flexible beast, I will still be using it, as a handbrake. I've customised a temporary plate (will probably get a nice one made) and fitted it with a spring. The spring is actually from the G27 shifter. It was one of the parts removed as a result of the modification which was returned with the shifter.

If you are interested in TH8RS short throw plate, I have 3 left. PM me if you are interested. AUD $30 shipped anywhere, $27 to Australia.

Link to G25/G27 modder's page Google translate is your friend but if you need more information, you can PM me. Payment is an issue because the modder does not have Paypal and his bank account does not accept foreign currency transfer. Against my own better judgment I sent him Japanese Yen in the mail. He actually sent the shifter back to me before he received the money. Good thing he received the money a couple of days later. I'm truly honoured by his trust. If you live in Japan, this mod is a must have for any G27/G25 owner. Elsewhere, it's still worth consideration.

Last edited:
from itrdc5, himself. hah.

I thought about sanding down the gates on my itrdc5 short shift plate, but wondered how it would feel...

Yeah I don't know buddy, I have a g27 and gotta say after the mods I've done to the TH8 I can't even think about the G27 shifter modded or not. :)

I've sanded the short shift plate.

Where can i buy some of these shift plates?
Yep, me. Yeah, I'd be terrible at marketing. I'll go tell you the 'other' product is better but you should buy mine :D

I thought about sanding down the gates on my itrdc5 short shift plate, but wondered how it would feel...
Do you mean sanding so it's not sharp or sanding it down so that there are no gates? I'm actually using the 'no gates' one in the video right now and I do not miss the gates at all. Hmm, I did blow up the gearbox in that Subaru the other day by shifting into 1st instead of 3rd but hey, more fun that way :D. If you want to see how it feels, just use the shifter without any plates. If you think it feels good, then go ahead and file and if you miss the gates, you can always get a new plate from me. Damn, my marketing skills... ;)

Back