Having Online Problems? I have a solution that worked...

• Thread starter Bearcut
  • 4 comments
That worked for me... at least. However, from what i've been reading, other solutions that have worked for other people did not work for me. However, maybe this will help you out.

Some background info
I am using a Cable Modem through a Linksys WRT54G router directly connected to my PS3.
When I first got the game, I also got the severe pauses and were unable to connect to servers even after the patch. After some tweaking, I was able to connect to servers but not lobbies (Error 293). Then, finally, last night, I got into lobbies. And man, if you have some friends in your lounge, you can have some good times.

A good tip here: If possible, directly connect the PS3 to your modem and reset your internet settings on the PS3 (using the easy option), then try GT5. If the PS3 connected to the modem runs GT5 online perfectly, then you know it's your router. This is how I diagnosed my router. It is a good idea to do this before screwing with a million things. If you do this (or cannot do this), and think it's your router...

So here it goes, step by step what I did

1) Check ethernet cables and router connections, consider changing ports, exc... the basic stuff
2) Upgrade the firmware on your router. If it's a linksys router, you need the model number off the bottom of the router before going to their website. It's also a good idea to go into the setup of your router and write down the settings you have in case they get erased.
3) To upgrade the firmware, you must access the router through a computer. Any computer that is connected to the router can do this (I think). Type in the IP address that your computer is using (You can get this by Run--> Command --> ipconfig and it will tell you your local IP address)
4) Type your local IP address into the address bar of your web browser. You will be prompted for a login/password. If you have never assigned one to your router, the default login for linksys is
Username: (leave this blank)
Password: admin
I'm sure a quick google will tell you how to get into your router if you aren't using linksys
5) Once inside, set a static IP for your PS3. For example, if your local address is 150.1.5.10, set a static IP for your PS3 of 150.1.5.20. Make sure this isn't in the range of your DHCP addresses as you don't want another device stealing your static IP.
6) Once the static IP is set, go to port forwarding and forward the following ports to your PS3's address as well as your local IP address (i'm not sure which one worked so i did both)

UDP: 3658 and 5658 --> these are from the in game manual.

7) Now that that is done, you might want to check if UPNP is enabled on your router, usually under administration. I'm not sure if this made a difference at all since my PS3 doesn't seem to recognize the UPNP on my router (even though it did in the past?)

8) Ok save your settings and now it's time to go to your PS3. Go to the network tab and select Internet Connection Settings. Use custom settings, and manually input the static IP you set for your PS3. It will look like this.

IP Address: 150.1.5.20 (PS3 static IP)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (or whatever it is on your router)
Default Router: 150.1.5.10 (your local IP)
Primary Gateway: 150.1.5.10 (your local IP)
Secondary Gateway: 0.0.0.0

These are the only settings I could ever get to work, I know they seem messed up.

The other settings should be default --> No proxy server, MTU automatic, UPNP enabled.

In terms of MTU, Fatkev on this forum told me that has MTU screwed up his lobbies and once he corrected that it worked. If you set MTU to automatic, make sure that it is also set to automatic on your router. If not, manually input the MTU.

9) Test the connection. If it doesn't sign online, well, double check the settings. Don't worry of UPNP shows up as "Not available" it never worked for me

10) Save the settings and that's it. GT5 should work now.

Enjoy!

Let me provide a slightly more straightforward and more "cover-all" solution to this.

Following all the steps above, get into your router's internal settings. Set up a static IP for your PS3 as well, as stated. Look for the port forwarding section of your router's settings, but keep an eye out for a setting called "DMZ." It means exactly what you think it means - De Militarized Zone. Input the IP you chose for your PS3 there and save the settings. This should cover any current and any future ports that your PS3 would ever need to forward.

Darkblade - reason I didn't mention the DMZ was twofold
1) It has security issues involved with it (although I doubt anyone will hack your PS3 on purpose)
2) It didn't seem to work. It was one of the first things I tried.

I am bumping this since I noticed some people posting above this one that they had online issues.
Hopefully this works for them.

Back