HDTV for gaming

I am looking to get a new HDTV for gaming this year, Christmas time I guess

Two factors I guess are important size, and quality, performance. Is it true that the bigger the HDTV more easy to find faults in gfx, artifacts like aliasing ? It depends on the view distance but bigger does not mean better. Quality, Performance does it really matter especially input lag ? I came to know that Sony HDTV are best for gaming.

http://www.cnet.com/news/best-low-lag-hdtvs-for-serious-gamers/

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

http://www.displaylag.com/best-hdtvs-gaming-2014-introduction/

http://www.displaylag.com/the-best-hdtvs-for-gaming-in-2013-part-2/

I would like to know what everyone else is using ? Those who had gone through this or like me looking to get a new one. Right now I have 40inch Sony LCD does the job for me. Does getting new HDTV really matter. LED will obviously give nice color and input lag, does it really matter ?

Enough with the Sony wank.

First, sorry if I came across too crossed but Sony TVs are awful for gaming, yes you get the option of putting "game" mode but it reduces image quality significantly, this was tested back when I purchased the current Samsung TV I'm using for gaming/computing purposes. Testing the KDL series I noticed a significant colour wash out and blurring, something that didn't had the same impact with the LG and Samsung counterparts.

Second, this might not be the right section for it, since this section might already have some answers to this very same question.

Third, get an LG, best picture quality at affordable prices has been that, couldn't get the LG I wanted because I was a bit short but surely that is best picture quality among them, next to it is the Samsung LED series that also don't sacrifice too much of it's picture quality in favour of input lag, it having better input lag without loosing too much picture quality.

Now, input lag is important but it stops being relevant by when they are lower than 40ms, and picture quality is just as important, if not more given that next gen offer more detailed, rich coloured environments.

I read that LG, Samsung have deeper black and good viewing angles compared to Sony. Panasonic is also good. Color wise all are good. I am not too sensitive to fps drops so I guess input lag should be less significant. But since I will use it primarily for gaming. It make sense that input lag is not too high. Monitor are great for gaming performance I guess but too small for my taste. Anyone uses a monitor ?

I read that LG, Samsung have deeper black and good viewing angles compared to Sony. Panasonic is also good. Color wise all are good. I am not too sensitive to fps drops so I guess input lag should be less significant. But since I will use it primarily for gaming. It make sense that input lag is not too high. Monitor are great for gaming performance I guess but too small for my taste. Anyone uses a monitor ?
I use an benq 23" full hd led montior on my rig and I nearly touch it with my nose :lol:
picture is better than on my 60"samsung full hd led tv to be honest 👍
monitor = gaming
tv= movies
:cheers:

I've had 5 or 6 LCD and led TVs of different makes and models and I have one Panasonic plasma. The panny plasma has been by far the best for gaming of all the TVs I've owned. The panny I have is I think 4 years old now. If I were going to buy a new tv it would with out a doubt be their newest model of plasma as big as I could afford.

I use mine for about 90% PC and console gaming 10% movies. It's leaps and bounds better than any other TV I have ever owned.

I also have 3 asus 27 inch monitors setup on a racing rig and it looks a lot better than those also and I've never noticed any input lag at all with it.

As both are running 1080p, the smaller screen will look better as the pixels are physically smaller, but that is also determined by how close you are to the screen.

Personally, I have a 50" plasma, a 22" LCD and a 163" projector that I've played games on and all have been perfectly acceptable. My only suggestion would be to get the largest screen you can. You'll never complain about a larger screen but you will kick yourself for going smaller.

I've had 5 or 6 LCD and led TVs of different makes and models and I have one Panasonic plasma. The panny plasma has been by far the best for gaming of all the TVs I've owned. The panny I have is I think 4 years old now. If I were going to buy a new tv it would with out a doubt be their newest model of plasma as big as I could afford.

I use mine for about 90% PC and console gaming 10% movies. It's leaps and bounds better than any other TV I have ever owned.

I also have 3 asus 27 inch monitors setup on a racing rig and it looks a lot better than those also and I've never noticed any input lag at all with it.

Isn't plasma dying ? I think LED is the standard these days so for me it will be good upgrade from basic LCD.You play on desk ? I am not sure I will setup a PC.

TB
As both are running 1080p, the smaller screen will look better as the pixels are physically smaller, but that is also determined by how close you are to the screen.

Personally, I have a 50" plasma, a 22" LCD and a 163" projector that I've played games on and all have been perfectly acceptable. My only suggestion would be to get the largest screen you can. You'll never complain about a larger screen but you will kick yourself for going smaller.

But bigger screen you can see more aliasing ? More easy to see faults in gfx. My room is not big but I will wall mount it if needed to get more distance.

I use an benq 23" full hd led montior on my rig and I nearly touch it with my nose :lol:
monitor = gaming
tv= movies
:cheers:

Wow really ? :confused: I am used to big, not 60inch but 40 on my current LCD.

Last edited:
But bigger screen you can see more aliasing ? More easy to see faults in gfx. My room is not big but I will wall mount it if needed to get more distance.
As I said, it's all relative to your distance from the screen. My 22" is on my desk in the office so it's less than 2 feet away. The 50" plasma is about 10 feet away and "feels" smaller than the 22" due to the distance. The 163" projector is about 12 feet away. All are running 1080p but due to the size, the projector isn't nearly as sharp as the others but when you're fully immersed like that, it really doesn't matter. At least not to me. :D

Wow really ? :confused: I am used to big, not 60inch but 40 on my current LCD.
60" 's are quite "cheap" here , especially the samsungs .
about the size , sure , bigger is better , but i can't imagine to sit half a meter away from an huge screen as I'm doin on my 23" .
everthing depends on your distance , I guess 👍

edit because tree'd : same oppinion as TB's above :cheers:

Isn't plasma dying ? I think LED is the standard these days so for me it will be good upgrade from basic LCD.You play on desk ? I am not sure I will setup a PC.

Plasma is dying off and it's a shame. Led still isn't as nice as plasma. Panasonic plasmas are still the best tv offered and they are making their last ones now. I really don't know why they are dying off. Maybe it's the energy consumption. I don't know. As far as picture quality goes you can't beat a Panasonic plasma. Super sharp, no ghosting, the deepest blacks, low input latency etc.

Don't count out plasma until you've researched them. I know for some reason people are scared off of plasma but they are absolutely great for gaming.

Edit
After mentioning the plasmas I started wanting a new one and was looking up prices. It looks like they are sold out everywhere. I can't find one anywhere to buy. I might have to look for refurbished ones.

Last edited:
Plasma sales are very low. Pioneer tried it, Panasonic took on the tech but are said to be losing money as well.

I think a number of factors in the early days like image burn in, high cost, high power consumption gave them a bad name and most manufactures went LCD because of sales and cost. Also I remember they took a while for 1920x1080 sets back then, and most were HD ready resolution. Ever since its been an uphill struggle and Samsung really kicked LCD into gear around 2008 with very cheap LCD panels hurting even Sony LCD. Much of the problems have been fixed but I think you need companies to really push, not just one or two and try to inform the public. LCD are so common place now though but are really bad for motion. I have both a Pany Plasma and Sony LCD

A good HDTV for gaming probably doesn't exist. it's a what is good enough. We need variable refresh to match your pc or game console framerate and pixel switching to kill off bad motion.

off topic but I remember all the talk in 2007/8 was don't buy LCD/Plasma, OLED is coming very soon. Seven years later still waiting :lol:

Last edited:
Plasma is dying off and it's a shame. Led still isn't as nice as plasma. Panasonic plasmas are still the best tv offered and they are making their last ones now. I really don't know why they are dying off. Maybe it's the energy consumption. I don't know. As far as picture quality goes you can't beat a Panasonic plasma. Super sharp, no ghosting, the deepest blacks, low input latency etc.

Don't count out plasma until you've researched them. I know for some reason people are scared off of plasma but they are absolutely great for gaming.

Edit
After mentioning the plasmas I started wanting a new one and was looking up prices. It looks like they are sold out everywhere. I can't find one anywhere to buy. I might have to look for refurbished ones.

IGN has it on their list. I did know about Panasonic plasma but yeah since it is plasma and nobody is supporting it including Panasonic who have stopped making it now. I bluntly ignored it. After looking around it is the best on it class and great value.http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/09/the-best-hdtvs-for-gaming

I really don't know why they are dying off. Maybe it's the energy consumption. I don't know.

Edit

4K.... Apparently that's what was the final nail in the coffin. The costs involved with developing, and the fact that it would only be possible on massive screens.

I have 5 plasmas and am still contemplating buying the biggest and best current model before it is no longer possible. They are still around in Australia. I'm all the more worried now that oled is struggling to get enough bites, with companies already scaling back and cancelling plans around the tech.

@gtracedriver1 The Panasonic ST60 series offers the best deals in tv history. Unless you are looking at the Samsung 8500, there's no other display to consider in my opinion. For gaming, the difference between playing something like Jetpack Joyride on a plasma and an lcd is night and day. On an lcd it's a blurry mess. Get one while you still can.

Don't go by how they compare in store either. The deceptive factors that enter the equation were likely big contributors to the lesser tech gaining market share.

From what I understand of how HDTVs work, input lag matters more when you're sending the TV an analog signal at a non-native resolution (like 480i), because of the time taken to process and convert the image. If you have older consoles with games that demand precise timing (like I do), it can be a painful experience. On newer consoles with digital connections, it won't be so bad.

Back