Help! GT5 Won't Start Up!

• Thread starter Ryou
  • 46 comments
United States
United States
After updating to GT5 2.0 Spec, I have been getting an error notifying,

Insufficient free space on Hard Disk Drive (HDD). At least 32MB required. Pleas exit the game and clear some space.

I, honestly, don't know how to fix this. I have 2000+MB space free, yet the game doesn't notice. Anyone know of possible solutions?

I got the same error right after installing the 2.0 update. I tried deleting the game save like other people mentioned and reinstalling, but it doesn't work. I'll try doing it again and see if it works with different updates.

ditto... seems like this is an old problem and so far my searches have found the solution is to insert your shifter in your (you know where) and forget about your previously saved game...

The most coherent explanation I've read so far suggests that the save game data and the game data are not the same version so they are no longer compatible. And since you can't go back to the previous version of the game you are pretty much screwed.

That hasn't stopped me from trying re-installs though. I'll let you know if I have any success after 4-5 hours.

I think you can indirectly get an older version. When you clean your install data and download the updates, it won't download the latest right away, it will download one by one. So you could abort the installation whenever it gets to the version you want. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that should work.

I found that I was able to enter the game with the very first version. I tried downloading newer versions, but didn't download 2.0 and it still gave me an error, even though the error message had a different number than the one I got earlier. I'll try downloading 2.0 but not do the 8gb install and see what happens. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

well this happened to me a couple of months agao, i have not been able to play sense and i m not starting over. This problem has always existed. and for some it gets repaired and for others. well we are still waiting

Spec 2 crashed on me a few times. first time on an online lobby, then whenever i started it up. Because my ps3 came grinding to a halt on each occasion, I had no choice but to pull the plug.:ouch: The second time I did that it corrupted the hard drive:nervous:, but thankfully it was restored. Since re-installing the patch it worked, but i don't know how long it will work for.

its weird really, when you read everyone complaint, its the same problem with different problems. if that makes sense. but basically, the insufficient error is not repaired with the latest patches. Keep this alive

call them anyway, we need as many people as possible to do that. i have called 5 times.

Did they say anything?

This time I uninstalled the game data, and with no updates the game would start, although there was an infinite load on the career, but I was able to do a race on arcade. I then went to options and cleared the cache, did the install, and used the file restore, which returned me a message that one file was restored. I'm trying to install 2.0 once again. I'm hoping one of these steps I took will solve the issue. I'll post later with the results.

we just went through all the steps. restoring, uninstall , install. save data delete and install. on and on. they stated that for an action by Sony, more people had to calling about the problem, before they would notice AGAIN

Spec 2.0 did froze in OPEN INTERNET LOBBY every time I refresh or change search settings.. only way to go out is to restart the game...... and I had connection error online 5 times while I was host.. very disturbing.... :(

Sad to say I'm also one of the guys who received the "Disk Space Bug" after the Spec 2.0 update. I have never experience this issue before (during the post-1.07 version)

My PS3 still has 250GB left in the HDD so I know its definitely not the HDD issue.

Here's what I noticed.

With PSN Signed In
The game is able to boot up all the way to the point I see the Gran Turismo 5 logo. From there on, the "Disk Space Error" message prompts and there's no way to proceed further. Only way is to exit the game.

With PSN Signed Out
Things got a little better but not by much. I managed to boot up, passed the Gran Turismo 5 logo and into the main menu BUT from thereon, the screen will loop by itself between the main menu for like 0.5 - 1 second, then back to the Gran Turismo 5 logo. This keeps on looping.

Methods tried so far

Method 1
  1. Backup personal save data to external HDD
  2. Delete personal save data from internal HDD
  3. Load up Gran Turismo 5, able to boot properly and race.
  4. Re-copy personal save data from external HDD to internal HDD
  5. Load up Gran Turismo 5
Result: Problem persists

Method 2
  1. Backup personal save data to external HDD
  2. Delete personal save data from internal HDD
  3. Delete Game Data from internal HDD
  4. Load up Gran Turismo 5 as Version 1.00
  5. Prompted to install Spec 2.0
  6. Downloaded a total of 10 files (3 hours spent downloading and installing)
  7. Load up Gran Turismo 5 with fresh save data
  8. No problem with fresh save data
  9. Exit Game
  10. Copy personal save data from external HDD to internal HDD
  11. Load up Gran Turismo 5 with personal save data
Result: Problem persists

From the looks of it, I think there's no way to have GT5 to recognize my personal save data properly. Hopefully PD will release a patch soon to solve this issue. The idea of having to restart my career mode, losing tons of cars and 60 Gold Licenses is just :nervous:

Last things I tried didn't work, but there's one more thing I wanna try. I have an old save file, so I'll try to load that and see what happens.

I'll follow seizure's method and try to log out from psn to see what happens.

EDIT: When I tried my save file from around May I got a message saying the data was corrupt, so it just didn't accept that. Then I tried quitting the game, logging out of psn, then restarting the game. I got the same situation as seizure did. Restarted again without loggin in, and on the main screen I tried logging in, but then I got the error insufficient hard disk error again.

So I'm very much inclined to say that the save files are fine. The problem lies entirely within either the update code or some network code from PD's part.

Last edited:
wow man that was good detail. there should be a way, even if Sony has to guide us through hacking the save file or something. im not sure, im not a hacker. but could we take the save file and transfer usb to the computer. open it up and delete the area where its corrupted. or change the numbers or something. And no, i have no idea what im talking about lol. But i think you know what i mean.

Just curious, do you guys have a fat or a slim?

I think if there was a way for us to downgrade the version, that would at least allow us to use offline stuff until they sort it out.

And by the way, I have a slim.

If I have time, I'll try using my brother's ps3 tomorrow to see if I still get the same problem.

well i have a fat. and yes you can downgrade it while its patching. when it reaches the patch you want, then just stop the transfer,but wait until it starts the next one.

I have both slim and phat PS3s but slim being the "primary". I guess I will just concentrate on my F1 2011 Career Mode for now till the next patch comes out. :guilty:

well i have a fat. and yes you can downgrade it while its patching. when it reaches the patch you want, then just stop the transfer,but wait until it starts the next one.

I did that, but when I went to check the version number it showed 1.13 (you can check on game data). I think when you download an update, after it's downloaded it installs itself, but I believe when you stop the download, the install is never done. At least that's what I think happens.

I did that, but when I went to check the version number it showed 1.13 (you can check on game data). I think when you download an update, after it's downloaded it installs itself, but I believe when you stop the download, the install is never done. At least that's what I think happens.

you have to wait for it to stop on the next download, im not explaining this very good i know, sorry. Im not sure what number matches the patch. example, loading number 6 fo 10 could be version 1.9 patch. then when it starts to load number 7 you stop it.

you have to wait for it to stop on the next download, im not explaining this very good i know, sorry. Im not sure what number matches the patch. example, loading number 6 fo 10 could be version 1.9 patch. then when it starts to load number 7 you stop it.

Here you go:

1) 608 MB = 1.05
2) 301 MB = 1.06
3) 47 MB = 1.07
4) 1763 KB = 1.08
5) 48 MB = 1.09
6) 380 MB = 1.10
7) 62 MB = 1.11
8) 13 MB = 1.12
9) 1149 KB = 1.13
10) 1192 MB = 2.00

Hope that helps

Oh, ok, for some reason I thought the latest version was 1.7. In that case I already did it and got the same error message, but with a different number (the one I'm getting now is 0x00000001[426]).

GSD
Here you go:

1) 608 MB = 1.05
2) 301 MB = 1.06
3) 47 MB = 1.07
4) 1763 KB = 1.08
5) 48 MB = 1.09
6) 380 MB = 1.10
7) 62 MB = 1.11
8) 13 MB = 1.12
9) 1149 KB = 1.13
10) 1192 MB = 2.00

Hope that helps

thanks man, you rock

thanks man, you rock

I had the same problem and I could only fix it because I had a backup copy of my savefile on a usb-stick. The savefile on my ps3 was damaged because I played on 1.06 and I recevied the disk space error after the 1.10 update (1.10 was the latest version at that time). I deleted the savefile on my ps3 and used the one I had on my usb stick and it worked with 1.10.

Latest Posts

Back