Help Inkscape

United States
Colorado
When I put text on path sometime the letters start to overlap. How do you increase the space between letters? Also after downloading logo I want to put it on a curve but when I select both items and go to put on path nothing happens. What do I need to do to get that to work right.

garystevens64

I'm assuming the logo you downloaded is in image form, rather than having the text properties. I don't think you can warp an object around another.

Aligning the text with an object:
Screenshot_16.png

Increasing space between letters:

Screenshot_16.png

Last edited:
O
I'm assuming the logo you downloaded is in image form, rather than having the text properties. I don't think you can warp an object around another.

Aligning the text with an object:
View attachment 1366219

Increasing space between letters:

View attachment 1366224
Ok. After I've downloaded a logo (Goodyear) and open it up in Inkscape I then want to add a curve. I select both the curve & the text (Goodyear) a then select put on path but nothing happens. But if type Goodyear out myself & do the same steps it will put the text on the curve. What am i not doing right to get that logo that I've downloaded on a curve?

garystevens64

Did you even read what I posted?
Yes I did read what you posted. I'm just trying to tell you what is going on when I try to put a text logo on a curve. The logo Goodyear is what Im trying to put on a curve but when I go to put on path nothing happens. But if I type the Goodyear myself and do the same things it works. So why won't my downloaded logo work.

garystevens64

And I'm trying to tell you that warping the object without text properties won't work.
I'm new to Inkscape so please bare with me if you will. So how do you put the Goodyear Logo on a curve. If I manually type out Goodyear myself and then create a curve. Select both the text (Goodyear) and the curve it works. So why can't I put the Goodyear Logo on a curve?

garystevens64

I'm new to Inkscape so please bare with me if you will. So how do you put the Goodyear Logo on a curve. If I manually type out Goodyear myself and then create a curve. Select both the text (Goodyear) and the curve it works. So why can't I put the Goodyear Logo on a curve?

garystevens64
I've never used Inkscape before but I think what @TumeK5 is trying to tell you is that an image doesn't have the same properties as text and Inkscape can't bend the properties of an image. It's a limitation of the program.

GOODYEAR typed out like this is all singular letters and each letter can be highlighted individually, so you're bending 8 seperate items that are in text format, which is a format that can be bent.

kisspng-goodyear-tire-and-rubber-company-logo-bridgestone-5ae06a00049111.9257250815246566400187.jpg

This on the other hand is in PNG format (edit: had to change the image to jpeg or it didn't show up) and just one big slab that Inkscape can't deal with.

Text ≠ PNG (or similar).

Am I close @TumeK5?

I found this that may help (or not). https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/103080/inkscape-bend-a-vector-along-a-circular-arc

Last edited:
I've never used Inkscape before but I think what @TumeK5 is trying to tell you is that an image doesn't have the same properties as text and Inkscape can't bend the properties of an image. It's a limitation of the program.

Am I close @TumeK5?
You're not only close, but spot on.
I had a feeling there was a way to do this, but I didn't know for sure. (and had I known, I would've mentioned it from the beginning) :indiff:

This is what Gary is looking for:
  • Copy the logo (object, not an image. If the logo is an image, it has to be turned into vector path first (bitmap tracing) ).
  • Select the drawing tool, and the set the shape of the path to be the copied object
  • Draw the shape you want the logo to follow (in this case, an arc)

Last edited:
I had a feeling there was a way to do this, but I didn't know for sure. (and had I known, I would've mentioned it from the beginning) :indiff:

This is what Gary is looking for:
  • Copy the logo (object, not an image. If the logo is an image, it has to be turned into vector path first (bitmap tracing) ).
  • Select the drawing tool, and the set the shape of the path to be the copied object
  • Draw the shape you want the logo to follow (in this case, an arc)
👍 We got there in the end is the main thing :)

👍 We got there in the end is the main thing :)
Ok, I think. I'm really trying to learn how to use Inkscape correctly & its going kinda slow. I'm really sorry if I post something that might not make any sence to you but I'm trying to learn how to do this stuff. Not to make any excuses but I have a learning disability along with being dyslexic and having ADHD. Anyway thanks for all of you help. So if I'm reading this wright what I need to do is after downloading a logo (Goodyear's Logo) that's not a SVG file, that I need to change the format. Or am I still way off. I've attached a copy of a file which kinda shows you what going on. I've bought a couple of Inkscape books to look at & help me learn how to use this software. Hopefully this will help. Just as long as I can ask question without pissing someone off.

garystevens64

Attachments

• Goodyear Tire Logo Sample.svg
    19.4 KB · Views: 4
Just as long as I can ask question without pissing someone off.
Ahem.
So if I'm reading this wright what I need to do is after downloading a logo (Goodyear's Logo) that's not a SVG file, that I need to change the format. Or am I still way off. I've attached a copy of a file which kinda shows you what going on.
I had a look at the file, and you've already turned the Goodyear logo into path. All you have to do now is to just simply draw the path that the logo would follow. And you must group everything in the logo together for it to work.

Ok, I think. I'm really trying to learn how to use Inkscape correctly & its going kinda slow. I'm really sorry if I post something that might not make any sence to you but I'm trying to learn how to do this stuff. Not to make any excuses but I have a learning disability along with being dyslexic and having ADHD. Anyway thanks for all of you help. So if I'm reading this wright what I need to do is after downloading a logo (Goodyear's Logo) that's not a SVG file, that I need to change the format. Or am I still way off. I've attached a copy of a file which kinda shows you what going on. I've bought a couple of Inkscape books to look at & help me learn how to use this software. Hopefully this will help. Just as long as I can ask question without pissing someone off.

garystevens64
No worries, all good 👍. I'm fairly computer illiterate myself, being an old dude who didn't start off with a computer until I was already past my use by date (retired).

I'm not familair with Inkscape at all so @TumeK5's advice, or maybe someone from the GT livery making thread would be far better for information than me.

Perhaps just ask here if someone can bend it to thew arc you require for you if you can't get to grips with it. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt7-svg-request-thread.404713/

Sometimes after I've uploaded a logo I notice that part of the letters are cut off. So I go back into the print setting and Make sure that every letter is in the print section. I then reupload the logo & still the letters are cut off. I've attached a file that showe's what I'm talking about.

garystevens64

Attachments

• Google Chrome Logo - 99.svg
    12.3 KB · Views: 2
Back