Help with connecting the PS3 online

• Thread starter Tracksmith
  • 16 comments
New Zealand
Christchurch
Hi, I would greatly appreciate some help with connecting my PS3 online.

I have tried several methods but none seem to work.

For instance when I select the "sign up to Playstation icon", text comes up saying " An error occurred during communication with the server. This is a DNS error. (80710102)"

I then tried to manually adjust the internet connection settings under "settings" but that has given me little success.

When selecting which method i would like to use to correct the settings, i choose easy but that came up with "the attempt to obtain an Ip address timed out".

I then choose custom > wired > Auto detect > Auto > do no set > Auto > Auto> Do not use proxy > Enable.

When testing this setting, it said:

Obtaining Ip address
Obtain Ip address: Checking... "the attempt to obtain an Ip address timed out".

I then adjusted the settings to custom > wired > Auto detect > Auto > do no set > Auto > Auto> Do not use proxy > disable.

Obtaining Ip address
Obtain Ip address: succeeded
Internet connection: failed

"The attempt to obtain an Ip address timed out".

It then suggested me to adjust the PPPoE settings but I don't know what that is and where to find it.

Could someone please help?

I have a 40Gb fat Ps3 with a wired connection that is connected to a cable modem.
I then choose custom > wired > Auto detect > Auto > do no set > Auto > Auto> Do not use proxy > Enable.

Obtaining Ip address

I then adjusted the settings to custom > wired > Auto detect > Auto > do no set > Auto > Auto> Do not use proxy > disable.

Obtaining Ip address

It then suggested me to adjust the PPPoE settings but I don't know what that is and where to find it.

I have a 40Gb fat Ps3 with a wired connection that is connected to a cable modem.

Sorry if this is not the suitable thread location.

Happens when your Internet connection is too slow or faulty.
You should do some Internet speed tests to see what kinda connection you currently have.

Try unplugging your PS3 and restarting your modem next time it happens.

EDIT: I notice you're from Christchurch, I spent 5 years of my life there.

Your prob sounds more like a cable problem to me. Like a faulty wire somewhere.

If you do have a good, stable connection, the only thing I can suggest you do is manually configure your connection. There's a lot of info on YouTube.
Look up ps3 internet settings, dmz host, and reserving an ip address for your ps3.

Hey bro :)

Why not test wireless to see if that works? if it does then do a speed test to see your approximate bandwidth.

Do you have a second modem you can try? Have you another Ethernet cable you can try?

See how that goes and let us know how you go :D

Hi, I would greatly appreciate some help with connecting my PS3 online.

I have tried several methods but none seem to work.

For instance when I select the "sign up to Playstation icon", text comes up saying " An error occurred during communication with the server. This is a DNS error. (80710102)"

I then tried to manually adjust the internet connection settings under "settings" but that has given me little success.

When selecting which method i would like to use to correct the settings, i choose easy but that came up with "the attempt to obtain an Ip address timed out".

Obtaining Ip address

Obtaining Ip address

Obtaining Ip address

Obtaining Ip address

Sorry if this is not the suitable thread location.
I need more info from you for me to diagnose and help solve your problem..

a) Is this the very first time that you've tried to connect your PS3+modem to the internet?
If you said YES, that means you have not set up your PS3 correctly and can't log on to the PSN network, don't answer b) or c)

But if you said NO,go to b)

b) If it isn't,did this setup work fine before and your pS3 had no problems connecting to the internet?
IF you said YES, follow on to c)

c) Have you made any changes to the setup lately?
Example; like changed connection settings in the PS3?

You really should have it running into a router and not just your modem. That way you can adjust your router settings accordingly. I really don't think your modem is ment to handle one thing unless its a router. A computer yes but im not sure how the PS3 will react to it. I could be wrong.

You really should have it running into a router and not just your modem. That way you can adjust your router settings accordingly. I really don't think your modem is ment to handle one thing unless its a router. A computer yes but im not sure how the PS3 will react to it. I could be wrong.

The PS3 should not have a prob connecting with the modem.

Thnakyou everybody for the help! It is greatly appreciated. :)

Try unplugging your PS3 and restarting your modem next time it happens.

EDIT: I notice you're from Christchurch, I spent 5 years of my life there.

I've done that several times but that doesn't seem to do anything. (Seen Christchurch recently, it's a mess. :indiff:)

Your prob sounds more like a cable problem to me. Like a faulty wire somewhere.

If you do have a good, stable connection, the only thing I can suggest you do is manually configure your connection. There's a lot of info on YouTube.
Look up ps3 internet settings, dmz host, and reserving an ip address for your ps3.

The cable was brought brand new. I'll try your suggestions.

Hey bro

Why not test wireless to see if that works? if it does then do a speed test to see your approximate bandwidth.

Do you have a second modem you can try? Have you another Ethernet cable you can try?

See how that goes and let us know how you go
I can't test a wireless connection since i don't have a wireless modem. (Might I have to get one you think?)
I've tried the modem that is connected to my TV with another cable but that is giving me the same problems.

I need more info from you for me to diagnose and help solve your problem..

a) Is this the very first time that you've tried to connect your PS3+modem to the internet?
If you said YES, that means you have not set up your PS3 correctly and can't log on to the PSN network, don't answer b) or c)

But if you said NO,go to b)

b) If it isn't,did this setup work fine before and your pS3 had no problems connecting to the internet?
IF you said YES, follow on to c)

c) Have you made any changes to the setup lately?
Example; like changed connection settings in the PS3?

a)No, I've tried countless times with different methods.
b)No, I've never been able to connect to the internet with my ps3. The internet works with my Mac though.
c)Yes, I've been adjusting the settings. Should it be on default settings? How can I reset the settings without losing any of my updates, photos and game saves?

The PS3 should not have a prob connecting with the modem.

I believe it should be fine connecting straight to the modem although i can try using a router.

Thankyou everybody!!!.

What modem are you running?

And sounds silly but... is your Internet setting switched to "enabled" on your ps3?

Shouldn't need a wireless one but it would help with diagnostics.

What kind of broadband do you have? When one of my high school buddies bought his PS3 and we tried to set it up, we had a bunch of hassle fighting to get it to work with his Verizon 3G internet. You mentioned a cable modem, but I'm not sure if you meant cable broadband or you were talking about how you connect your PS3 to the modem.

a)No, I've tried countless times with different methods.
b)No, I've never been able to connect to the internet with my ps3. The internet works with my Mac though.
c)Yes, I've been adjusting the settings. Should it be on default settings? How can I reset the settings without losing any of my updates, photos and game saves?

Seems like your PS3 is not correctly set up.
If you want,I can help you set it up but I need to know what ISP(Internet Service Provider) you're with.

Seems like your PS3 is not correctly set up.
If you want,I can help you set it up but I need to know what ISP(Internet Service Provider) you're with.

👍 This ^^^

With the PPoE error, it makes me wonder if your ISP requires a username and password to logon to the modem and then consequently the internet. This was how Ameritech DSL was configured when I did tech support for them and it was a pain in the poop shooter. Macs are generally a breeze to setup compared to PC's when it comes to PPoE.

Back