Help with Rift VR pc build please

Canada
Canada
HeyZeus666
Background:

GTS was supposed come out in nov, at the same time PSVR was expected to launch, which I thought would be the the holy grail of sim racing. But that didn't (and probably) won't happen. Even if I would be willing to wait till that all got sorted out, I realized that the bang for the buck factor just isn't there. I'm from Canada and by the time you add up the costs; PSPro $500, PSVR $700, 4ktv $1000+ = $2200+
It becomes pretty obvious that for the same money I can make the jump into a PC $1300+ and a Rift $850 =$2150+.

My Research:

I know what the min specs are for the Rift but I plan on going a little over that because I can. I don't want to have to build my computer as I don't have time. Since Black Friday is coming up quick I was hoping to get some opinions/advice on which system I should go for. So far I have narrowed it down to 3 systems;

1. http://www.ncix.com/detail/pc-part-picker-bundle-september-23-135529.htm
I would need to add Win10 and the Build service which adds another $180 to the price.

2. http://www.megacomputer.ca/index.php/main/html/systems_3.html#tabs1-progaming
Not sure which chip to get i56500k or i76600k

3. http://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/computers-and-tablets/desktops/gaming-and-performance/cyberpowerpc-gamer-supreme-slc8280inc-desktop-with-intel®-i7-6700k,-2tb-hdd,-120gb-ssd,-16gb-ram-and-geforce-gtx1070/p/108062004
I can get this locally...

I scored a deal on an Oculus Rift on Ebay today so now I need a PC. Which one should I get? Should I forget these, and be looking for something completely different?

Last edited:
All three are perfectly capable of doing VR decently as far as I'm aware. Computer 3 is the closest to my personal Build It If I Get The Money specs, so I'm a bit biased towards it.

There wasn't anything else here at all, nosiree...

My advice, dont get a pre-build, get the part and build it yourself or pick the part and have a shop build them. The 3rd one is way overpriced for what it has (yes I realize it's cad). Also Windows 10 shouldnt cost you more than 100 usd.

Here's an idea of what you could get for the same price with part picked by yourself :

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/C8TPgL

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($284.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($104.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($804.97 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($23.95 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($117.75 @ shopRBC)
Total: $1866.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-21 09:12 EST-0500

Wow that seems to be an amazing build! I didn't think it would be possible to get to a gtx1080 and stay around $1850. I am sold, :cheers:

Could you give me some recommendations on what sound card to add in order to be able to run SimVibe which requires
  • Second PCI or PCIE 5.1 Capable Sound Card (Turtle Beach is NOT compatible)
  • Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10
  • Bass Transducer(s)
  • Audio Amplifier
  • Ability To Connect Audio Amplifier To Sound Card
  • Ability to Configure Windows Sound Settings

I have watched a few vids on how to build a pc and Im pretty sure I could handle that by myself. The part I am worried about is setting everything up afterwards, i.e. how to install all the os and drivers etc. and get it running the way it supposed to. I have no frame of reference and I don't feel like going to googleschool to learn how to diagnose and resolve unforseen issues. How likely is that to happen?

• Bass Transducer(s)
  • Audio Amplifier
I've done a bit of looking around for bass shakers for my theater room. If you want to go inexpensive, bass shakers like this, powered by something like this (wired in parallel) should do the trick. As I know nothing about SimVibe, double check to make sure that everything plays nice with each other.
Ability To Connect Audio Amplifier To Sound Card
For the bass shaker amp, that's the easy part - connect the audio car output to the amp input with a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Can't help for sound card as I am pretty clueless about them sorry. As for building it yourself if you feel confident you should do it, it's not harder than a Duplo honestly (lego for young kids). Just watch a guide online follow it make sure you've plug everything in correctly and voila.

As for your build, with the money left you can grab a better motherboard (not that this one is bad but you might want more usb 3 port or other sort of port that are only found on pricer mb). Or pick a case of your liking (I've pick a cheap one that I know is good but you might want something more to your taste).

I had a read through the setup guide for SimVibe and it turns out you need a four channel amp to run chassis mode properly;

"Chassis (Multi-Dimensional)

The multi-dimensional chassis feature has been optimized for operation at all four corners of the simulator and provides for realistic vibration origination and resonation.

An optimal configuration will require a 5.1 sound card, four bass transducers and a four channel audio amplifier. It is however possible to utilize a 2-channel configuration (left / right) as SimVibe Chassis will honor the windows sound configuration settings.

SimVibe Extensions (Localized Feedback)

SimVibe Extensions allow for localized transducer placement. This mode of operation is not multi- dimensional but may be suitable for some simulator designs or as an addition to SimVibe chassis.

Placement options include:

 Seat
 Pedals  Shifter

An optimal configuration for this mode will require a 5.1 sound card, three bass transducers and a three channel amplifier. It is however possible to utilize only 1 channel such as seat and simply place a single bass transducer beneath the seat.

For performance reasons and to enable future enhancements, each SimVibe mode requires its own 5.1 sound card in addition to your PC’s primary sound card."

@TB could you recommend a four channel amp please.
Or is it possible to run 2 of the two channel amps, one for left and one for the right channel?
Would that still provide quadraphonic sound vs stereo sound?

As for your build, with the money left you can grab a better motherboard (not that this one is bad but you might want more usb 3 port or other sort of port that are only found on pricer mb). Or pick a case of your liking (I've pick a cheap one that I know is good but you might want something more to your taste).

Wouldn't I just be able to use a USB splitter like the one I use on PS3 to gain a bunch more slots?

I wouldn't bother spending more money on a case unless you think there would be issues with heat. If not then I'd rather spend the $ on internal components.

Back