Hey. If you are getting bored. Try this!

• Thread starter Monkdapunk
  • 7 comments

Monkdapunk

(Banned)
Canada
Canada
Hi there. I recently changed a few things and added more immersion and challenge to the game. What I did was modify my TV stand/racing thing so the TV can slide left and right and forward. Now I use the cockpit view where the wheel is offset with my wheelbase like 2mm from my 43" TV. It takes a lap to get used to it but its awesome. I also disabled all on screen hud and "muzak". The game looks so much better with no hud and the sounds the cars produce are better than the guy with the Casio keyboard... It's beautiful.

Now you may be thinking to yourself "how do I know info about my car?" Well I just use the gauges that are in the car. I really just keep an eye on my fuel because you can hear rpms and often the tach doesn't represent your engine anymore. As for tires you have an idea of what you can get out of them and can feel when you need new ones. I use Sim Dashboard on my phone only for laps remaing and time remaining in a timed event. Racing with no radar is also no big deal as many of you probably did when it was bugged for Spa a while ago. I mean if it starts raining halfway through a lap your radar isn't going to help much.

I find this just adds so much more to the game by not doing much more but involving more of your brain. It just feels better and kind of reminds me of when I tried pc sim racing. I had this kind of magic moment where it was getting dark and I couldn't see my gauges well anymore and then wouldn't you know the soft orange glow came on instrument panel... huh.....

I agree that this way of experiencing the game is way better than with HUD.

Shame the fuel meters don't function on all cars. And when the HUD is off, you don't get the almost empty fuel message, and you can't choose new tires in the pits, so you need to turn on the HUD before pitting.

Already doing it. But it sure would help if I could see the fuel map changes and gears.

Add an option to toggle the UI already damn it

I agree that this way of experiencing the game is way better than with HUD.

Shame the fuel meters don't function on all cars. And when the HUD is off, you don't get the almost empty fuel message, and you can't choose new tires in the pits, so you need to turn on the HUD before pitting.
I haven't used one yet where the fuel guage didn't function. If I did I would swap a widget on the Sim dashboard app to show the fuel consumption.

I forgot to mention you have to either hit pause before you get to the pit and turn hud back on or have it memorized because it still lets you pick you just can't see where the cursor is going. I learned the hard way. Ha.

Already doing it. But it sure would help if I could see the fuel map changes and gears.

Add an option to toggle the UI already damn it
I'm not sure if they have fuel map/tcs functions widget for the sim dashboard app but probably. I know they have widgets for gears for sure. It's free for 2 widgets and you have to pay for more elaborate ones so I just have 2. I set my fuel map and pause to change hud back to off. I find really I only set it and might change it at the end of a race but probably forget anyway 🤷 I just wanted to make it more challenging and have to think a bit more to keep myself entertained.

Hi there. I recently changed a few things and added more immersion and challenge to the game. What I did was modify my TV stand/racing thing so the TV can slide left and right and forward. Now I use the cockpit view where the wheel is offset with my wheelbase like 2mm from my 43" TV. It takes a lap to get used to it but its awesome. I also disabled all on screen hud and "muzak". The game looks so much better with no hud and the sounds the cars produce are better than the guy with the Casio keyboard... It's beautiful.

Now you may be thinking to yourself "how do I know info about my car?" Well I just use the gauges that are in the car. I really just keep an eye on my fuel because you can hear rpms and often the tach doesn't represent your engine anymore. As for tires you have an idea of what you can get out of them and can feel when you need new ones. I use Sim Dashboard on my phone only for laps remaing and time remaining in a timed event. Racing with no radar is also no big deal as many of you probably did when it was bugged for Spa a while ago. I mean if it starts raining halfway through a lap your radar isn't going to help much.

I find this just adds so much more to the game by not doing much more but involving more of your brain. It just feels better and kind of reminds me of when I tried pc sim racing. I had this kind of magic moment where it was getting dark and I couldn't see my gauges well anymore and then wouldn't you know the soft orange glow came on instrument panel... huh.....
I tried the offset setting last night and straight away it just felt different driving, my lines weren't allover the place, felt so natural , even though I never driven a real car :), only downside is I can only do it with RHD cars as restricted by how far I can move my rig or tv.

ps5 or 4? On ps5 it should be readable

I'm on PS5 with a 65" TV and I agree with @HarVee that some of the gauges simply aren't that readable. I was hoping they would fix this after GT Sport but some are just too dim / dark. .....some older dash clusters are like this.

To the OP.... I always play in cockpit view but without the HUD, it's simply too big of a nuisance for me. Sure, it looks great and is more immersive but that all goes out the window when you can't adjust fuel mixture, select tires going into the pit, loose the use of the radar, can't see the gauges in some cars, have no other indicators as to what lap you're on, etc., etc. Tire wear is also an issue as it can be really difficult to know just by "feel" when the tires are ready to go. .....and when they do, there is hardly any control.

Also, there is no other communication with pit crew, etc. that you can rely on for weather, tire choice, lap time and so on.

For me, the radar provides a level of situational awareness you just can't get from a lot of cars in cockpit view where you are unable to see the mirrors that well. The view change on controller is too clumsy IMO and disorienting.

Until they allow people to customize their own HUDs to include / exclude the info they want on the screen, I just have to put up with it. I could.see turning off the RPM / speed in some cars (that I could see the dash), definitely turning off the track map, cars I pass, lap history, etc.

As for being bored, if they would simply change the in-game economy / payouts so they made more sense and were based on a more linear scale depending on distance, difficulty, etc., that would make running a variety of tracks more fun vs just the money-makers. .....especially Custom which doesn't pay out much at all. I'd be creating all kinds of my own races if that were the case.

Back