Homemade F1 steering wheel and cockpit

• Thread starter PahaMaku
  • 22 comments
Finland
Finland
Hello!

I am a Finnish guy that likes to drive F1 games. so i decided to build my own F1 cockpit and steering wheel.

here is some pictures and video of the cockpit.
wheel41.jpg

finished7.jpg

finished10.jpg

You can see the build pictures by visiting:http://photobucket.com/PahaMakuWheel

There is couple of videos in my youtube channel, but i try to get better camera to take better quality videos soon.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PahaMaku

Last edited:
That's one hell of a F1 rig 👍

What kind of base are you using for the F1 rim? G25/27 or something?

Wow. You gonna get buried in it?

It would be one hell of a way to go. lol
Certainly different. Although I dunno if they would like it in the auditorium if the smelly corps sticks out. lol

Well done mate, I would love to see some more pictures and maybe videos of it here. Keep up the great work!

This is just so amazing to me how much work went into just making the wheel alone! The picture of the insides open with all the wiring going everywhere was priceless. I was like, whoa how would anyone know what to do with that mess! But it just looks so professional, in fact, a little too professional... i think someones done this before, maybe in a race shop? If you have never worked in some sort of racing developement i'd be shocked! You know, now that I know exactly the kind of detail that goes into this type of craft, I have a new appreciation for what Fanatec and Thrustmaster have to overcome to make this not only affordable for us, but profitable and reliable! Look at this mans dedication to craft, his commitment to detail, and all we have to do to get the same thing is swipe our credit card for a CSW or T500 F1 rim. Kinda feels like cheating doesn't it? Oh well, i'm sure it was fun for him to build this anyways even if he could just go out and buy one, its probably more gratifying to make it yourself, even if it does work out to be a whole lot more expensive (which this poster definately looks like he spent more than what it would cost to buy one)
Can i just ask one thing, why not get a projector (or two or three for wraparound) and get a huge immersive picture rather than a small HDTV? After all that work, it just seems to be the only weak point... thats the only negative, other than that, great work!

Last edited:
This is just so amazing to me how much work went into just making the wheel alone! The picture of the insides open with all the wiring going everywhere was priceless. I was like, whoa how would anyone know what to do with that mess! But it just looks so professional, in fact, a little too professional... i think someones done this before, maybe in a race shop? If you have never worked in some sort of racing developement i'd be shocked! You know, now that I know exactly the kind of detail that goes into this type of craft, I have a new appreciation for what Fanatec and Thrustmaster have to overcome to make this not only affordable for us, but profitable and reliable! Look at this mans dedication to craft, his commitment to detail, and all we have to do to get the same thing is swipe our credit card for a CSW or T500 F1 rim. Kinda feels like cheating doesn't it? Oh well, i'm sure it was fun for him to build this anyways even if he could just go out and buy one, its probably more gratifying to make it yourself, even if it does work out to be a whole lot more expensive (which this poster definately looks like he spent more than what it would cost to buy one)
Can i just ask one thing, why not get a projector (or two or three for wraparound) and get a huge immersive picture rather than a small HDTV? After all that work, it just seems to be the only weak point... thats the only negative, other than that, great work!

Thanks!

I dont have any experience of racing developement, i just like to build things.
This wheel and cockpit was build without any plans, just planned it as i build it. :cool:

I work as a carpenter and some of the materials were almost free to me.
You are right about that it would have been cheaper to buy steering wheel rather than build one.But all the work and curses on working with this was priceless to me!

And if you look my latest youtube video you can see that i have HD projector and 104" screen.

regards,

PahaMaku

I really like the honda badge too. Nice touch. i ordered one for my elite after i saw yours. not quite the same thing i know but i plan on putting it on whatever formula rim comes out for it

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...nt=wheel38.jpg
Can you post were you got your White and red emblems, decals for the centre rotaries from?
Just added 3 rotaries to my f1 wheel, But I cant find any emblems, decals on the web anywere?
Also were did you get the Red and white dials knoobs from?
And Thats very nice wheel, well done
regards,
Josh

Hello!

I made those myself with photoshop. then printed with laser printer.

here is the label sheet that i used: LINK

dial knobs are black, but i also printed small labels to those.

Hello!

I made those myself with photoshop. then printed with laser printer.

here is the label sheet that i used: LINK

dial knobs are black, but i also printed small labels to those.
Thanks for the link :)You havnt got a photoshopTemplate saved file you could send me have you :)

Back