How do create a livery of old rusty cars?

• Thread starter daibon
  • 23 comments
United States
United States
OK I messed up the title of this topic. How do I create liveries of old rusty cars. I love liveries of old cars.

I see people upload very old rusty cars. the recent beetle that was released has quite a few liveries people have uploaded. Like the one for the Old Herbie liveries.

But not sure what kind of decals I would need to create these liveries... or how these folks apply that that makes these liveries so awesome..

Anyone willing to teach me would be appreciated...so I can pretty much start making all these cars old and rusted! PLEASE!

Anyone?

:)

+1.

I don't like when it's 100% rust, but making various parts and panels appear to have some degree of rust would be nice to learn. I had a few rust decals but they look bad. :crazy:

:)

tFHfh8F.jpg

I forgot to mention. Those are not my liveries..But it us my Scapes photo. I just like those liveries so much. I'd like to create something like those.

Check out this video. It doesn't appear to be too hard as long as you download enough of the appropriate decals and take your time. Of course I say that as someone who hasn't tried it yet. Want to though.

Check out this video. It doesn't appear to be too hard as long as you download enough of the appropriate decals and take your time. Of course I say that as someone who hasn't tried it yet. Want to though.

WOW! That is awesome.. and very helpful. It is real hard work... very detailed hand placement...of these decals.. and look at his collections of decals he/she has eh! WOW! impressive

Now, I need to go search for those decals. and start slowly.. this is going to take a while... i.e if I want to go down this path at all. Now I have second thoughts. Ha Ha! :)

Wouldn’t say it looks rusty, more like the old paint shows through in a way. If you know what I mean?

Rally B-Toyota - Dirty Rally car Livery - Uploaded.

I did a non Rusty, non old decals but Dirty ...Very dirty Rally car.

I am really enjoying dirtying and rusting all my good liveries! I wish I could damage to the cars as well. I'll take a baseball bat to it. :P

Gx4bqO5.jpg

Nice work @daibon ! Try to fill the brown spots of rust with decals like the 1st pic below in different shades of brown.
Step3-1b.jpg

You can also use matte decals like below tom create worn paint, were some parts are still a bit glossy
images

Apart from that : be patient and dont expect to be finished within an hour :P

rThank you realJaysee. Appreciate your input.. and yes.. I tend to do it a tad too fast! :)

BTW how can I get those decals? I tried cropping the first one there and but i can;t make it into a 15kb decal. I even tried taking a small portion of the first blot ....even that is complex for vector format that it takes more than 15kb.

Last edited:
these are brushes from photoshop, I showed these to give you an idea, dont think it's possible to make decals this good for GTS.
But search for rust, dirt tags, anything that looks like it is ok.

On your Mini (which I absolutely love btw), under the "24" on the door, put about 10 - 15 decals like this, in 4 different shades of brown/orange, and you got a nice rusty texture.

these are brushes from photoshop, I showed these to give you an idea, dont think it's possible to make decals this good for GTS.
But search for rust, dirt tags, anything that looks like it is ok.

On your Mini (which I absolutely love btw), under the "24" on the door, put about 10 - 15 decals like this, in 4 different shades of brown/orange, and you got a nice rusty texture.

Yeah the brown under the 24 is just mono color of brown. Yeah, my rust is not good. I now have better decals and more of em than when I did that. I could improve on it..

OK.. My V2

I reached the limit of decals (300) I could use for the body. If I need to improve anymore I have to replace the decals rather than add. That would be a real pain.

I have rusted all the Chrome parts to like 98% Added more bleeding rust near the fuel tank knob and few other areas.

Whereever there was just plain brown Rust, I added lots more sprinkly rust layers of different color...but reached the 300 decal limit.

I've also added a little bit of the smokey soot and grime ...

I'll upload this V2 this weekend.

6QaVuCi.jpg

KKWAgHv.jpg

qpFhlHp.jpg

IS it better? Worse? Any more suggestions? :)

Back