How do I get faster?F1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter wills2084
  • 20 comments
lengthybaton
I don't consider myself to slow when it comes to racing games, but it seems I can't get it with F1 2011. I currently race with a DFGT and no aids on so its as realistic as I can get it. I don't really do many of the races; mainly just the time attacks. It is tough for me to even get bronze in any of the challenges. My best is the Monza challenge with a silver and its only a 1:22.xxx All my friends are in the 1:20's or lower on this challenge. What gives? Am I missing something? I know they are not doing the 11/11 because in time attack you can't tune. Anyone got any tips for getting faster? Is it faster to use the assists? Thanks!

TCS and ABS are always faster in F1 2011. I don't know if you're doing that but you need to minimize "idle times", so always either break or accelerate - I've seen a lot of people letting the car roll into corners instead of really pushing the car around it.

Hmmm I thought coasting through a corner was the best way to maximize grip for turning as accelerating or braking uses up some of the available grip. I hate to turn the aids on. I wish CM made that more of a handicap not an advantage.

Best way is to break into the apex, so that you can immediately accelerate out of the apex again - as long as you can keep the grip level, at least. :)

If you want to get faster, go slower. In all seriousness, braking has as much to do with being fast in racing as top speed and acceleration do.

I have found switching to richer fuel mix for short times helps in speeding up. Although it wont make you a faster driver it will make the car go faster.

A good tip is to concentrate on braking. If you want to get the car pointed better into the corners with good rear stability, I would suggest moving the brake balance backwards to about 52-54%. You lose ultimate power, but it allows you to minimize idle times a bit more and also get your car on the apex in better 'condition' (ie. more stable and better for corner exit).

A good tip is to concentrate on braking. If you want to get the car pointed better into the corners with good rear stability, I would suggest moving the brake balance backwards to about 52-54%. You lose ultimate power, but it allows you to minimize idle times a bit more and also get your car on the apex in better 'condition' (ie. more stable and better for corner exit).

Depends on the track - moving the balance towards the front end is better for some tracks. :)

Locking up your brakes slow you down too. Try to get a feel for the abilities of the car and focus on throttle control.

Just curious mate 👍

Not as much anymore - too much work atm. Not even through the second season in career mode...well...race day in Singapore atm. ;)

I played a lot during the first 4-5 weeks, night shift made it easy. ;)

Also play with the car's set up to in order to improve your times. I use no driver aids except racing line on unfamiliar tracks

My tips:

1. Watch the onboards from the official F1 website and try to copy them. You'd be surprised how relevant they are to this game, the lines used are usually the same.

2. Race without aids and with manual gears - very tough at the start but teaches you the core values of driving a flat out lap. If you can get the hang of this, should you still be obsessed with ultimate speed, switch the aids back on and witness how ridiculously easy it now seems to drive.

3. 11/11 suspension is a well known exploit but another tip is that on all but a couple of tracks you need to be running lots and lots of wing for best lap time. Try always making the rear wing one step higher than the front wing in downforce. You can make them equal too, but never have more front than rear because you cant carry the same speed through the corners without enough rear wing to balance out the front.

My tips:

2. Race without aids and with manual gears - very tough at the start but teaches you the core values of driving a flat out lap. If you can get the hang of this, should you still be obsessed with ultimate speed, switch the aids back on and witness how ridiculously easy it now seems to drive.

I'm just curious: did you memorize the gear for each corner or are you still trying to "listen to your engine"?

My tips:

1. Watch the onboards from the official F1 website and try to copy them. You'd be surprised how relevant they are to this game, the lines used are usually the same.

3. 11/11 suspension is a well known exploit but another tip is that on all but a couple of tracks you need to be running lots and lots of wing for best lap time. Try always making the rear wing one step higher than the front wing in downforce. You can make them equal too, but never have more front than rear because you cant carry the same speed through the corners without enough rear wing to balance out the front.

You need a wheel for Manual gears which i have but dont have a mount for the wheel but i would use it if i had a mount for the wheel...

Mr. S
I'm just curious: did you memorize the gear for each corner or are you still trying to "listen to your engine"?

It's a combination of things, the engine pitch is v important but in the really slow corners the engine always sounds very deep anyway so it isn't so much of an indicator, in which case I'll choose the gear based on how the car feels in the corner - too high a gear and it understeers, too low and theres not enough lateral loading so you know you can take more speed through it than you're doing in that low gear.

I don't memorise the gears as such, it just becomes second nature, like playing an instrument once you get the hang of it - you don't usually have to think in order to do it properly. And like playing an instrument, it's very rhythmic and you pick up on these rhythms which help you lap the circuit consistently - you get used to the sound of the gear shifts in each corner and it seems to just happen automatically. Maybe I'm decent at f1 because I also happen to be a drummer? Who knows!

A certain amount of experimentation is necessary with gears on occasion though, it doesn't come to you instantly. Sometimes you can afford to take a corner in a higher gear to what you thought you could and then you have to get used to that slight alteration in the rhythm of the lap.

If you could upload a video or a link to a video of yourself driving we might be able to tell you which corners your slowing down or maybe give you some tips. Im not great myself but its juat an idea

I find memorising corners by gear number essential to fully learning a track, or more importantly its the key to getting faster!

Anyone out there; you have to turn automatic gears off, it just doesn't work! I should have thought it would increase your braking distances on auto too?

Back