How do I use a mic on my setup?

• Thread starter oohhh yeah
  • 13 comments
oohhh8yeah
Hi guys,

I have an onkyo receiver with 5.1 audio. I am setting up headphones right now. I have purchased this
4005834955654040_1.jpg
3.5mm to 1/4 inch to go from my regular headphones to the receiver. To get to that length I have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm female to male extension.
2613280757844040_1.jpg
My regular mic is a bluetooth headset for phones that I use while using my 5.1 sound system. I obviously cannot use the bluetooth headset with a pair of headphones.

I found this on ebay. It says it creates audio out and mic in from a usb port and is for ps3. Does anyone know if it is any good? Quality wise?

Also, is my headphone setup the best right now in terms of sound quality? Since it is going through the receiver it is getting better decoding right? Is there any obvious adjustments that should be made?

Thanks!

Do those USB to 3.5mm really work with the PS3? Even the microphone jack? If so, I'm impressed.

You talking about something like this?

http://www.firefold.com/usb-sound-card-adapter?gclid=CJ_-odTE07wCFaVQOgodn3oATQ

USB-PHONE-ADPT.jpg

Sorry for the big picture.

I used one of those on my PS3 for a while. It worked fine. I eventually upgraded and got a USB Headset/Microphone.
Yeah that.

I'm sure it works,

but how is the quality.....I'm sure it's not that good. What is the other way to hook up a misc with my setup? Because I think my setup is better than a headset setup. I know there is some adapter I have to buy to hook up the mic separate but that is best for quality. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though.

It's been a while since I used it, but I think I wired it differently.

I used the USB adapter for the microphone only. Used the PS3 A/V cables for the headphones. Just got a RCA--1/8" adapter for that.

I can't remember if I tried doing the headphones through the USB device, but I'm sure it would work. Been probably 18 months or so.

Quality wise, I couldn't ask for anymore on GT5.

Could hear my engine/tires and hear voice chat clearly without problems. GT5 was about the only game I played with headphones so I didn't get a chance to try it with anything else, sorry.

It's been a while since I used it, but I think I wired it differently.

I used the USB adapter for the microphone only. Used the PS3 A/V cables for the headphones. Just got a RCA--1/8" adapter for that.

I can't remember if I tried doing the headphones through the USB device, but I'm sure it would work. Been probably 18 months or so.

Quality wise, I couldn't ask for anymore on GT5.

Could hear my engine/tires and hear voice chat clearly without problems. GT5 was about the only game I played with headphones so I didn't get a chance to try it with anything else, sorry.
You decided to use RCA cables for the headphones and not that adapter 3.5mm plug you posted in post 2?

Was it a sound quality reason?

And instead of the adapter you posted,

Would a usb to 3.5mm female adapter work? I'm talking about using a 3.5mm mic
$T2eC16VHJG!FFmqCqgN)BRzZK2MdSw~~60_1.JPG

Wait guys....would I even need that "3D sound" adapter? If you have built in mic headphones like the standard ones you get with samsung S3 S4 and iphone etc. Or does that feature not work and you have to use that usb port to 3.5mm adapter 3D sound?

If you want use your headphones with your headset:

Just config headset speaker output on PS3 system from "headset-"name" to "standard" then sound will get through your TV/Audio setup. Use the ear "clamp" to hang the headset on your T-shirts "top opening*" for example.

*Apologize for lack of better Word

Last edited:
If you want use your headphones with your headset:

Just config headset speaker output on PS3 system from "headset-"name" to "standard" then sound will get through your TV/Audio setup. Use the ear "clamp" to hang the headset on your T-shirts "top opening*" for example.

*Apologize for lack of better Word
No, I mean how do I use regular headphones to hear game music, and then have mic capability? With a regular 3.5mm computer mic. How do I hook it up is the question. The headphones have built in mic for calling, but I don't know if I need to purchase that "3D sound" adapter or the adapter cable to go from ps3 usb to 3.5mm computer mic.

The headphones are hooked up through my 5.1 receiver's 'phones' jack.

Can anyone who knows confirm? :D

Almost any cheap USB sound card can be used a a microphone input. I use a cheap one for the mic input, and hook up the the audio connector to my Denon headphone jack. You use the adapter to the audio and use the long cable to connect to the USB and then to the PS3. Cable example below, disregard the green one, it's old extension cable for an old headset. Then I choose audio-out as system and mic as the usb soundcard in the headset settings.

IMG_20140223_145228.jpg

Almost any cheap USB sound card can be used a a microphone input. I use a cheap one for the mic input, and hook up the the audio connector to my Denon headphone jack. You use the adapter to the audio and use the long cable to connect to the USB and then to the PS3. Cable example below, disregard the green one, it's old extension cable for an old headset. Then I choose audio-out as system and mic as the usb soundcard in the headset settings.

IMG_20140223_145228.jpg
What port/hole is that pink cable connected to on the USB sound card?

So the 3.5mm computer mic will go in the hole next to the pink cable?

I am assuming you use your 5.1/7.1 speakers for game music correct? And you prefer a wired setup over a bluetooth headset that always needs charging?

What port/hole is that pink cable connected to on the USB sound card?

So the 3.5mm computer mic will go in the hole next to the pink cable?

I am assuming you use your 5.1/7.1 speakers for game music correct? And you prefer a wired setup over a bluetooth headset that always needs charging?

Not really, my Ps3 time is mostly in the evenings/nights when I have access to the TV ;)

So I have my PC 350 Sennheiser (modded) stereo headset connected to the Denon 1611eu and the microphone connected to the mic input on the USB soundcard. The downmixing and headphone amp on the Denon is good enough and the audio out of the USB is below par.(The PC 350 is high Ohm headset and need amplification) I never use bluetooth for my audio unless there is no other way/doesn't make any difference. I do most of my gaming on PC and only use the PS3 for GT6. Our PS3 have two/three uses: Mediaplayer/Netflix/bluray and some gaming.

EL_AVR1611BK_E2_fr_000_D.jpg

Sennheiser-PC-350_P_1200.jpg

Hi guys, update, I just bought myself one of those usb 3.5mm adapter thingys, and it just arrived. I got the mic working, but how do you get the game audio to output from the usb adapter? Is it in audio settings? Or is it not possible to get the game audio working through the 3.5mm audio jack on the adapter?

Back