I’m heading to PC sim racing in a not too distant future!

• Thread starter Strittan
  • 28 comments

Strittan

Premium
Sweden
Sweden
Strittan
Hi!

With the Gran Turismo series officially dead and buried, I’m finally heading to PC to scratch my racing itch. Probably won’t happen until fall, as I have a lot of other expenses right now, and we’re heading towards summer in northern Sweden anyway, but I figure it’s never too early to research the pros and cons of the various sims out there.

I actually have a brief history with sims such as iRacing, Live for Speed and rFactor, but that was over 10 years ago, when I still lived at my parent’s house, and I don’t even remember what the cheap Logitech wheel I had at the time was called.

A sim I’m interested in is RaceRoom Racing Experience, simply because I’m very much into historic racing, and the carious car packs of RaceRoom seems to cover that pretty good, but how does it compare simulation-wise?
Also, iRacing looks very interesting as well of course, and it’s probably the most realistic/immersive experience there is, right?

Other than that I’m open to suggestions. For reference, I’m a huge fan of 60’s - 90’s motorsport.

Cheers!

ACC has awesome AI with adjustability. I normally run at 95 AI there and it's a fun and tough race, I find it even tougher with the same AI car.

Jerome

ACC has awesome AI with adjustability. I normally run at 95 AI there and it's a fun and tough race, I find it even tougher with the same AI car.

Jerome
Yeah, I’m hearing a lot of good things about ACC, but it’s GT3 cars only, right? I’m looking for a bit more variety than that. I’ve actually thought about getting it on PS5 though, but I suspect it doesn’t play very good with a controller?

It is GT4 and GT3 cars only. What it lacks in number of cars it makes up for in other ways like the number of tracks, realism, very unique car handling, AI, graphics. Plus it has Donnington Park <3

Jerome

Last edited:
I know @Scaff among many others is a big advocate for AMS2. I played the 1st one and it had really good physics and vehicle variety. AMS2 has an even wider variety of cars and circuits.

I would have said Forza Motorsport 7 but apparently you can't buy that any more.

GT Legends is a good game if you don't mind going a bit older with software. Has a ton of historic touring and grand touring cars ran in the FIA Historic Racing Championship.

ss_31087e1c6e113bd277559d7ec8766ceb28f70f8e.1920x1080.jpg

Vanilla Assetto Corsa is also very good, plus with you can make custom races and championships using Content Manager. Then there's the insane amount of mods available.

Hi!

With the Gran Turismo series officially dead and buried, I’m finally heading to PC to scratch my racing itch. Probably won’t happen until fall, as I have a lot of other expenses right now, and we’re heading towards summer in northern Sweden anyway, but I figure it’s never too early to research the pros and cons of the various sims out there.

I actually have a brief history with sims such as iRacing, Live for Speed and rFactor, but that was over 10 years ago, when I still lived at my parent’s house, and I don’t even remember what the cheap Logitech wheel I had at the time was called.

A sim I’m interested in is RaceRoom Racing Experience, simply because I’m very much into historic racing, and the carious car packs of RaceRoom seems to cover that pretty good, but how does it compare simulation-wise?
Also, iRacing looks very interesting as well of course, and it’s probably the most realistic/immersive experience there is, right?

Other than that I’m open to suggestions. For reference, I’m a huge fan of 60’s - 90’s motorsport.

Cheers!
RaceRoom in my view is well worth a go, it's free to try, so it's risk free in that regard. The audio on it is first class and it's got a strong on-line community that, while it isn't as rounded as iRacing, doesn't require a monthly subscription. The AI for single player is great, use the adaptive setting and run a short 3 lap race and the next time you run that combo they will be starting to match you, the more you run a combo the better they match to you. Main downside is that the way you buy cars and tracks can be a pain,. but follow the guide linked above and you will be good. The FFB also go ta full overhaul recently and is now really solid.

AMS2 I have nothing but praise for, it's basically the title Project Cars 3 should have been, with the FFB and physics issues pretty much all ironed out, and has the advantage that being from a South American dev it's got a load of tracks that you will most likely never have heard of, many of which are excellent.

You then have Assetto Corsa, which can be a massive timesink when it comes to modded content, but despite the massively variable quality of the mods, a lot of truly amazing stuff can be found. With AC on PC you can also get Gran Turismo tracks, so you can try some of the classics, but with physics that work, AI that isn't totally braindead, and zero grind. Older race series for AC tracks from Fat Alfie and the GT & Touring Car Legends mods by Bazza, for example, are all right up that street.

For older series and cars, then RaceRoom, AMS2, and AC are you best bet (and GT Legends with the update mod pack is worth a look as well).

I bought this deal just to get AMS2 and ACC, (and I suppose Drift), I've got the other titles already. So as someone who tried, (2nd time with a steering wheel and failed miserably-sold it), I headed to the track on AMS2 with a touring car at Interlargos with my trusty Xbox controller in hand really really hoping that it would be Ok, perhaps I just need to tweak it loads like PC2 etc. Well to my great surprise with stock settings it felt pretty great tbh. So great that 20 odd laps flew by before I realised I really had to get off and get the family some tea.

This is the real PC3, so excited for my next go. 😀

Last edited:
I bought this deal just to get AMS2 and ACC, (and I suppose Drift), I've got the other titles already. So as someone who tried, (2nd time with a steering wheel and failed miserably-sold it), I headed to the track on AMS2 with a touring car at Interlargos with my trusty Xbox controller in hand really really hoping that it would be Ok, perhaps I just need to tweak it loads like PC2 etc. Well to my great surprise with stock settings it felt pretty great tbh. So great that 20 odd laps flew by before I realised I really had to get off and get the family some tea.

This is the real PC3, so excited for my next go. 😀
Yep AMS2 is excellent, Reiza have done wonders with the Madness engine.

we have a dedicated thread for it as well, so feel free to have an explore, as you can also add Mod cars to it.

Hi!

Cheers!
There are an amazing amount of quality vintage mods for AC, tracks and cars. You cant beat vintage.
RaceRoom in my view is well worth a go, it's free to try, so it's risk free in that regard. The audio on it is first class and it's got a strong on-line community that, while it isn't as rounded as iRacing, doesn't require a monthly subscription. The AI for single player is great, use the adaptive setting and run a short 3 lap race and the next time you run that combo they will be starting to match you, the more you run a combo the better they match to you. Main downside is that the way you buy cars and tracks can be a pain,. but follow the guide linked above and you will be good. The FFB also go ta full overhaul recently and is now really solid.

AMS2 I have nothing but praise for, it's basically the title Project Cars 3 should have been, with the FFB and physics issues pretty much all ironed out, and has the advantage that being from a South American dev it's got a load of tracks that you will most likely never have heard of, many of which are excellent.

You then have Assetto Corsa, which can be a massive timesink when it comes to modded content, but despite the massively variable quality of the mods, a lot of truly amazing stuff can be found. With AC on PC you can also get Gran Turismo tracks, so you can try some of the classics, but with physics that work, AI that isn't totally braindead, and zero grind. Older race series for AC tracks from Fat Alfie and the GT & Touring Car Legends mods by Bazza, for example, are all right up that street.

For older series and cars, then RaceRoom, AMS2, and AC are you best bet (and GT Legends with the update mod pack is worth a look as well).

Have you seen this GT mod in the works? Turns AC into GT, second hand dealership, car wash, engine wear and tear included .

Bonus material. This video gives me the GT magic GT no longer gives me. Maybe GT looks too realistic which takes a bit of tgs fun out of it?

Last edited:
There are an amazing amount of quality vintage mods for AC, tracks and cars. You cant beat vintage.

Have you seen this GT mod in the works? Turns AC into GT, second hand dealership, car wash, engine wear and tear included .

Bonus material. This video gives me the GT magic GT no longer gives me. Maybe GT looks too realistic which takes a bit of tgs fun out of it?

Yep, saw that a while back and looking forward to it.

**** it, I can’t wait ‘til fall, man! Gaming PC, three 27” monitors, Thrustmaster TS-XW Racer, TH8A shifter and a Sim-Lab GT1 Evo rig is on its way.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I’ll probably go with RaceRoom first, as I’ve been dying to drive the DTM ‘92 cars since they were released basically.

**** it, I can’t wait ‘til fall, man! Gaming PC, three 27” monitors, Thrustmaster TS-XW Racer, TH8A shifter and a Sim-Lab GT1 Evo rig is on its way.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I’ll probably go with RaceRoom first, as I’ve been dying to drive the DTM ‘92 cars since they were released basically.

What spec is your PC ?

What spec is your PC ?
-ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti AMP White LHR

-INTEL Core i7-12700F Alder Lake

-Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR4 16GB 3200 MHz

-WD BLACK SN750 SE M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB

-ASUS TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4

-Windows 11 Home

Nothing crazy, but it’ll have to do for now. :)

Edit: The monitors are ASUS TUF VG27AQ1A along with the ASUS Bezel Free Kit

Last edited:
-ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti AMP White LHR

-INTEL Core i7-12700F Alder Lake

-Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR4 16GB 3200 MHz

-WD BLACK SN750 SE M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB

-ASUS TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4

-Windows 11 Home

Nothing crazy, but it’ll have to do for now. :)

Edit: The monitors are ASUS TUF VG27AQ1A along with the ASUS Bezel Free Kit

More than good enough for racing games :)

More than good enough for racing games :)
Yeah, I hope so.

Quick question. What frame rate do sim racers usually go for/prefer? It varies I’m sure, but are there any guidelines if you’re like me and don’t want to turn the graphics down too much?

Last edited:
My monitor is only 60hz so that's what I lock it at. Depending on what resolution your monitors are you could probably run everything at Max @ 60hz, job done.

I’m enjoying myself…

EECDC24E-84A3-483F-A98B-648491174D5E.jpeg

… but I would not recommend the SimLab integrated triple monitor stand. I’ve been through a lot of cursing and sweat trying to get the monitors lined up and they’re still not perfect. It will have to do for now until I get a better stand, though.

Absolutely loving RaceRoom so far!

Do you have a link for this? All I can find is a GTL mod for AC.

Thanks.

Edit: Is this it?

Last edited:
I’ll probably go with RaceRoom first,
I joined you today. Can't believe how much nicer and more fun the physics and FFB is compared to GT7.

Anyway, gold in everything and A+ in both GTS and GT7 - not sure I'll be touching it again after all the mess with lobbies, physics, FFB clipping, economy... They don't seem to prioritize the things I value. I was patient, positively minded and tried...

I would not recommend the SimLab integrated triple monitor stand. I’ve been through a lot of cursing and sweat trying to get the monitors lined up and they’re still not perfect. It will have to do for now until I get a better stand, though.

Absolutely loving RaceRoom so far!
I had the same issue with my Obutto stand. I found that the only way to get my three monitors to line up perfectly without a hassle was to use a table/desk. So I built one and painted it black. :)

Back