• 20 comments

Tyre King

Sleep! Who needs Sleep?
Premium
United Kingdom
Carlisle,Cumbria,England!
Ballstothewall1
Hi Guys,

I have been pondering for a while about what kind of race series I would like to introduce to the long race series forum.
There have been many ideas, and many ideas thrown away!
And this is the format I am playing with at the moment, and I would like some constructive critique on the idea.

I would like to start a "WRS" style endurance series.
(That is if there is interest, and this is the right place to run a series like that)

• It would be a dip-in/dip-out series where you could race if you have the time, or not if you don't.
  • You would not have to register, nor is experience a requirement.
  • A different car and track combination would be used each week (or fortnight), with set parameters for the car.
  • A weight penalty system could be employed, based on previous results, and ran on-top of the set parameters for the car.
  • A leaderboard would be set up that would reflect all results in the series.
  • Possibly, if the participation was high enough, a set of divisions (with the divisions set by performance in a qualifier race)
  • The race distances would be determined by TIME not lap-count in true endurance style, as I have had some very positive feedback from the current Le Sarthe race in the Historic series.
As I said, I am looking for some constructive opinions on whether this is a valid idea or not, race length, cars to be used (even though the choices are only limited to the 750+ cars in a full garage).

Also I have to say that if this takes off, I WILL need a partner to help administer the series, and help out with setting races up or doing the results/leaderboard. So if you would like to help out, shoot me a PM or post in this thread.

I suppose that’s it, really. I realise it’s just a bare-bones idea, but with help and suggestions it will soon be fleshed out.

Neil

Wow!! Great idea Neil! 👍

I like the current WRS series but became more interested in racing more than just a hot lap. That's why I joined the GTPLMS and, of course, the Historic C-Class Championship series. I really like the idea of an endurance-style WRS.

I would consider doing away with the weight penalty system as this type of series could attract dozens of entrants, all of whom may drop in and out each week, which could make all weight penalties difficult to determine and administer. I would consider keeping car specifications exactly the same for all participants.

The WRS takes care of skill-level differences by running 3 divisions. New participants are placed into a division based upon a one-time initial qualifying run. Qualifying for all entrants is run at the same track with the same car and specs. After that, you need not qualify ever again. Division 2 & 3 drivers can advance by turning in consistent superior final times relative to their division peers. Rarely are drivers demoted down to a lower division, but it does happen. So, there is the incentive - knock off the top dog in your division until you reach #1 in div 1.

Looking forward to this Neil and would be willing to help in a more consultative, idea generating, car testing way as I'm technically challenged regarding posting leader boards and race results, etc. (I should probably learn all this stuff).

My 2 cents :)

ERacer

Thanks Phil! 👍

Took what you said about the weight pens, and changed one letter in the post.
Would to could!

I thought you would like the idea, I ran in the WRS week-in, week-out from week 2 (GT4) for well over a year. So the basics of how it works aren't a problem. The main reason I didn't propose a divisional layout, was that participation is lower on this forum.
But, if the numbers look good, that will be the way to go!

Neil

Hey Neil,

The idea looks very interesting indeed. Actually I don't think that the weigh penalty would be too much of a problem to administer, since we can always set a parameter for the people who have not raced in last so many races. It will help keep a balanced field since drivers like me (awful, pathetic:crazy::yuck:) would still have a chance of beating the top guys, and not get disgruntled or disheartened. Moreover, as the series progresses, a driver can reduce his handicap by scoring higher positions somewhat consistently. This will sort of make up for having lack of divisions with each driver having a representative penalty for a score.

I would also be more than happy to help you administer the series. I am sort of a newcomer, but have a reasonable feel of how things go here and in WRS. Although, I feel that the divisions in WRS are redundant in most of the weeks, since the guy in 3rd div is always compared to, and most of the time, loses to, a guy in the 1st div.

The idea that you could race week-in/week-out is good in itself. Don't have to register is a bonus, not necessarily required.
Let's see how the turn out seems to be for this series, but it definitely seems interesting to me

If the numbers prohibit using the weight pen system, and divisions are needed/wanted then, as a divisional qualifying race will be needed, I suppose that would sort of count as registering your interest. So, that part of it is up in the air a little at the moment.
But I am gratified by the number of views already, and the suggestions so far.

Keep it up guys, I would like this to be a series where you guys call some of the shots in it's conception , and then it will be big enough and raced enough to endure longer than most of the series here.

Also, I am probably going to have a race suggestions thread so that you guys can shout up for a combo you fancy trying.

I know it's going to end up similar to the main WRS (but with longer races), and may be seen as copying that format. But if it works, and is popular, then it's open to being aped or developed further to take into account the tastes of different people.

Neil

I know it's going to end up similar to the main WRS (but with longer races), and may be seen as copying that format. But if it works, and is popular, then it's open to being aped or developed further to take into account the tastes of different people.

Neil

Nothing wrong with modeling a new series after a proven successful one 👍

The duration for each race could be tricky since potential entrants may not be used to endurance racing; needs to be long enough to allow for some pitting strategy but not too long so as to turn people away. A poll might help but I'd say somewhere around the 30 min mark might be reasonable. Some tracks may merit longer duration, such as la Sarthe ;)

Making up my track & car combo wish list now, Neil!

ERacer

hi neil (and others),

great way to add to the gtp traffic in times of gt5 awaitment! (is that an english word?) :)

what i miss in your setup is a thought on how long the endu races would take. 10 laps? 1 hour's worth of lapping? gt4 endurance style races? i for one would like to participate, but only if the lapping would take something like 20 minutes. if a mistake is made while racing, starting again and again would otherwise take up too much time - for me anyways.

i'll add to your combo shout list if the idea becomes more definitive. i could take up some admin churns as well if needed.

good luck!

hi neil (and others),

great way to add to the gtp traffic in times of gt5 awaitment! (is that an english word?) :)

what i miss in your setup is a thought on how long the endu races would take. 10 laps? 1 hour's worth of lapping? gt4 endurance style races? i for one would like to participate, but only if the lapping would take something like 20 minutes. if a mistake is made while racing, starting again and again would otherwise take up too much time - for me anyways.

i'll add to your combo shout list if the idea becomes more definitive. i could take up some admin churns as well if needed.

good luck!

You haven't missed the point in the setup! What you have missed is the whole point of my asking for your suggestions!

I started off having an idea, then that idea got better. I then realised that what this needed was interaction!

It's not a question of how long 'I' want you to race, it's a question of how long 'YOU' feel comfortable racing?
I want this to be your series, your choices, your suggestions! I want this to be the start of the greatest, longest running Endurance Race Series in the history of the GTP.

All I am going to do is to organise, administrate, and moderate the series. YOU will decide what it becomes!

Neil

Walks into room .. signs entry papers .. leaves room 👍

Now i'll go and have a look at the WRS thread {never even noticed it before this post} to see what goes on there and then maybe then i'll be able to make a some sort of reasonable contribution to your idea Neil .. whatever .. i'll compete .

I think one of the many reasons the WRS is thriving so well is the great pairing of car to track. Most weeks it's simply amazing. Many times I've been pleasantly surprised by certain WRS car & track combos which, at first glance, appeared to be horribly mismatched and unexciting, but later turned out to be incredibly fun and addictive!

The proposed endurance weekly series has without a doubt the same potential. Audience participation is what's needed folks. What's your favorite combo?

How do you feel about a classic Shelby at Trial Mountain, Renault rally car at Costa di Amalfi, an uber Audi TT at the Ring, taking the Vette out to Seattle to blow off some steam?

Imagine - everyone in the same car tuned the same - no excuses.

ERacer

You haven't missed the point in the setup! What you have missed is the whole point of my asking for your suggestions!
ok, i just thought you had ideas of your own on that subject.

i'd say 10-20 minute races would do best, but maybe that is not really considered 'endurance'.

i agree with eracer that it all comes down to the combos picked.

steven

Agree with the limited timed race format .. 30 minutes minimum imo {though anywhere bewtween 45-60 is what i'd prefer }120 minutes maximum = fortnight series instead of weekly {10-20 is too short}

Agree with a weight penalty system ... {if i was winning every week , i'd certainly want to give others the chance = level the playing field for the interest of the 'sport'}

Agree with different car/track per race ... perhaps announcing a whole list of cars/tracks and then having a 'vote-off' for those participating .. to decide what combination will be used .. ?
Del prefers racing ... 'racing cars' than road cars {preferably 300hp+} though some road cars are well worth putting to the test . eg : Mazda RX7 Type A . BMW M3 . Nissan 350Z . TVR T350C ....

Arcade mode is truely addictive for 'on-line' racing {and i much prefer it} but maybe there should be a race or two that is run in GT mode .. where specific tuning for the entrant will make an for : an interesting mix for the series ?

I was thinking about 25-45 minute races for the most part, with longer races on tracks like Le Sarthe and the 'Ring so that the lap count is higher and pit-stop strategies can be played with.

Arcade mode is the way to go for the most part, BUT, I am also thinking about some GT-mode races already!

I think the weight pen system is absolutely workable, as long as most participants race nearly every week. That way it is easier to keep track of. But the idea of having divisions is VERY appealing too.
That way some of the races can be handicap races, where D1 gets less power than D2, and D2 less than D3. (An idea shamelessly culled from the WRS)

As to posting a list of combo's in advance, I don't think anyone (even myself) can appreciate the unbelievable amount of work that would take. I am proposing to be working three or four combo's ahead, with the help of maybe a couple of others testing them out ahead of time.
Also the suggestions thread will generate a huge number of combos that can then be voted upon.
This way, WE can keep the series alive by continually creating new ideas.

I have spoken to MisterWeary (Colby) one of the WRS mods, and he says that it sounds good, and here is the best place he can think of for this kind of racing to be done. But I still think a quick word with Jordan may be in order, as the main WRS is an official GTP series (Don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes, or creating any animosity do we?).
A rubber stamp from the boss would be nice.👍

Neil

Good... and since this championship is going to be very long, we can make some changes along the way also, like adding/removing divs etc. I can't wait to have it started already!!

It think a time of 30min would be ideal. Allowing racers to have multiple trials while at the same time, requiring at least one or two pit stops to play around with the strategy...

Personally, I like the idea of a weight/Hp handicap system for each division rather than handicapping each driver. A divisional handicap would be much easier to administer and would certainly provide a level playing field within each division, and also between each division.

In addition to making this a fun series, it should also make us (especially myself) better racers.

My incentive to participate comes from the chance to drive a great combo and also to improve my skills, such as they are, against my divisional opponents and hopefully eventually reach the podium within my division, with the ultimate prize of some day being placed at the top of the podium in D1.

ERacer

OK!

We now have the go ahead to run this here, from MisterWeary (WRS Mod), Famine (Super-Mod) and Duke (Administrator)

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it! :cheers:

I now think that a lot of Enduro drivers will be happy bunnies, sometime in the nearish future.

Now all we have to do is have some more opinions, ideas and suggestions.

Oh, and I'll be PMing some of you soon, with the prospect of taking up offers of help. 👍

Neil

sounds cool neil!

you can count me in too for helping out on leaderboards, testing combos in advance (especially in gt mode - my natural habitat) and joining most of the races.

here are some first suggestions from me (but you might wanna open a suggestions box like we have in wrs):

- gt mode / le mans 1 but preferably 2 / bmw mclaren racer or merc clk-gtr or sauber

- gt mode / el capitan / a japanese lm racer

I finish my University year in 3 weeks, after that I'm sure I'll have some time to give this a spin, if the OLR scene will have me back that is?

Keep up the good work Neil 👍

A few to chew ......

Track: Circuit de la Sarthe I
Make: Italy > Pagani
Model: Pagani Zonda LM Race Car '01

Track: Seattle Circuit (Reverse)
Make: American > Chevrolet
Model: Corvette Stingray L46 350 '69

Track: Nurburgring Nordschleife
Make: Germany > Mercedes
Model: Mercedes CLK Touring Car ‘00

Track: Grand Valley Speedway
Make: Germany > BMW
Model: BMW M3 GTR Race Car ’01

Track: El-Capitan
Make: American > Ford
Model: Mustang SVT Cobra-R '00

Track: New York
Make: American > Ford
Model: Ford GT40 Race Car ‘69

Track: Deep Forest (Reverse)
Make: British > Lotus
Model: Lotus Motor Sport Elise ‘99

Track: Suzuka
Make: Japan > Nissan
Model: Nissan Motul Pitwork Z (JGTC) '04

ERacer

I finish my University year in 3 weeks, after that I'm sure I'll have some time to give this a spin, if the OLR scene will have me back that is?

Keep up the good work Neil 👍

Always welcome at my place Brad! 👍

Neil

Track: Circuit de la Sarthe I : Pagani Zonda LM Race Car '01 👍

Track: Seattle Circuit : Shelby Cobra or Saleen S7

Track: Nurburgring Nordschleifel : Mercedes CLK Touring Car ‘00 👍

Track: Grand Valley Speedway : BMW M3 GTR Race Car ’01 👍

Track: El-Capitan : Mustang SVT Cobra-R '00 👍

Track: New York {reverse} : Ford GT40 Race Car ‘69 👍

Track: Deep Forest : Mazda RX7 Type A {my type A is faster than the LM in GT mode :)}

Track: Suzuka : Nissan Motul Pitwork Z (JGTC) '04 👍

Track: Midfield Honda Castrol Mugen NSX JGTC

Track: Trial Mountain : Cusco Subaru Advan Impreza or TVR T350C

Track: Tsukuba {wet or dry} : Suzuki GSX-R/4

Track: Fuji 2005 GT : Nissan 390 GT1 Road Car or Toyota 7 Race Car

Track: Infineon Sports Course : Amuse S2000 GT1 or Mazda RX7 LM Race Car

Track: Apricot Reverse : Toyota Woodone Toms Supra

Track: Autumn Ring : Nissan Xanavi Nismo GTR

Back