I'm not a sensible one and still want to learn

• Thread starter KAlex122
  • 2 comments
Austria
Austria
KAlex122
Hi,

I'm a half-decent driver - not on GTPlanet alien level by far but i gold about 2/3 of the online Time Trials with relatively little effort on controller with automatic transmission. Call it a higher B-rated driver if i would still play online.

In the past i tried tuning myself once or twice but with little success.

I'm now reading all the tips i found here from you guys that i bookmarked in the past 2 years and watch a lot of YouTube videos on that matter. The theory should be there soon.

My problem is, that when i drive i feel relatively little of what i change. I'm kind of an unsensible driver. I drive AT, as i stated and i drive mostly with the audio muted so i can hear our youngling (no, I won't get used to driving with one single in-ear-plug).

Some questions on that matter:
  • Will the lack of audio be a problem for feeling the tuning changes (tire squeal)?
  • Will AT give me less feedback when tuning? Not sure about that. But for the moment, at least as long as I'm driving without audio, i won't change to MT.
  • I have controller sensitivity on 10 but the trigger effects on low (and in the PS settings also low) as i find high to strong. Will that again hinder me feeling what's going on?
  • What kind of car is best to learn tuning? I'm a bit more into roadcars, than racecars. I imagine a FR cars with about 550-580 PP (with no better tires than SH to not dampen the effects of understeer/oversteer) with no other aids than ABS (on strong?) could be a good start?
  • As my laptimes are not super consistent and little changes of the tuning setup must not cause big time-saving effects, i guess i could as well take the Nordschleife as a test ground. I'm not very consistent at Tsukuba, which would give fast results so I'll try Spa as a test course as im pretty consistent there (not Eau Rogue). Other hints what could be a good test course in sight of consistency? What do you guys use?

Thank you for any kind of feedback or guidance!

This is a very decent introduction to all aspects of tuning. I'm no tuning expert and I don't know if GT7 is great at realistically representing tuning changes, but it should give you a good grounding in the principles (you may already have it though given the research you've already done).

Re your questions:
  • In Project Cars 2 and ACC I turn down most sounds and turn up tyre sounds to get that feedback - not sure if GT7 offers that option, but if it does, use it.
  • AT vs MT shouldn't matter, because you tune the car to your driving style (which incidentally is why I would advise against buying any setup). So if the car understeers with AT through certain corners, apply one change at a time to see if you could tune that out.
  • Can't help with controller as I use a wheel.
  • It might be better to use a smaller, slower road car to start with, because you are more likely to drive 10 consecutive, consistent laps in that, given you a good idea of the base setup and where the issues you want to resolve lie, and it is more likely to be 'soft' and in need of tuning. Something like a Mazda MX5 maybe?
  • I would recommend a shorter track like Tsukuba, or Kyoto Miyabi. You'll get to the same problem corners more quickly and would be more likely to identify the issue you want to tune out. Should be okay if you use a slower car per previous bullet.

Thanks! I thought of the Mazda MX-5 as well but with more power so more balance problems arise. If the cars are too slow everything feels the same, i feel.

Back