[In-Ear Headphones] Sony MDR-EX35LP Review

• Thread starter Robin
  • 20 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
These are Sony’s brand new mid range offering, the MDR-EX35LP. The prices for these at the moment varies wildly but they are around 15-20 pounds, some places they can even be had for less. In the US these can also go by the code MDR-EX36V which includes an in line remote.

sonyexmd2.jpg

Just picked these up in Chrome Blue (look a lot darker in real life than the picture above) and I was very impressed.

Pros

Sound Quality
The sound quality is simply excellent, as with some of early Japanese reviews I have seen the 5/5 score is justified. Sony have clearly taken technology from their higher up past models and filtered it down to the new more affordable stuff and its hard to believe these cost what they do.

It has excellent bass which I was so looking for mainly using it on my 4G 20GB iPod which was notorious for having like no bass at all! But the area it seems to really excel is the more vocal / instrumental side of things with very clear definition on quieter more melody based songs. Classical music lovers would be very happy with these.

Some of the lyrics on songs I couldn’t previously make out I was easily able to hear which these headphones. I also could now hear a real difference between lower bitrate music and higher quality stuff. You really do notice how dreadful 128kb encoded music is on these! (some of this music was from 7 years ago!).

Aesthetics
They have a simple lozenge design which come in different chrome / polished metallic finishes (although its not actually metal). Under light they clearly stand out and look very tasteful. Others may prefer more extravagant stuff but these keep it simple.

Accessories / Extras
Comes with the usual S/M/L earpieces but now they are made from a new ‘special’ hybrid silicone material which is meant to make them even more comfortable. They did feel extremely smooth and flexible but I didn’t really notice any massive improvement in comfort over previous stuff. But they do the job and fit well after you experiment with the different sizes.

The cord is Y configuration which I prefer after using J for ages, it has an adjustable tab to widen or shorten it and also a nice little rubber cable tidy which you can clip to the wires. The jack is of course gold plated.

Cons

The Jack
The jack is right angled which for me was the biggest letdown, I don’t even see why they still exist, it’s a small niggle but for iPods it can lead to a greater strain on the jack and socket as the cord is pulling sideways not directly upwards, one of my other headphones eventually broke because of this. You also end up swiveling the jack side to side more which can wear down the contacts.

Outside Noise
For those wanting a total audio seal these do a good job but they don’t totally block outside noise. For me this was a pro because I want to be able to hear people call me or traffic when out and don’t want to suffer any ear pressure popping effect but if you want total silence then it’s a con. It would still do very well on an airline but im yet to try that out.

Warranty
There’s only a 2 month warranty which is kinda lame because nearly all other headphone manufacturers give 12 months. This is the norm with Sony as there warranty periods on everything seem to be shorter.

Some other issues are the buds need to be cleaned every time you take them out and the rustling of the cord is amplified in the phones but these are all standard disadvantages of using in ear so not really cons, especially for its price point.

Summary
Does what it’s meant to do best which is to provide quality sound rather than giving you frilly extras! On the sound quality alone I really have to give them 10/10.

Official Tech Specs
Black, blue, gold, pink, red and white colors available
9mm driver unit
Frequency response : 6 – 23,000Hz
Sensitivity : 100 dB/mW
Cord length : approx. 1.2m
Weight : approx. 3g (without cord)
Supplied acc. : 3 types of ear buds (S/M/L), Cord adjuster

Robin :)

Pic of the colours!

20080818121918_0001-237x500.jpg

Last edited:
Lozenge design
:lol:
I might consider getting these if my current $7 pair breaks.. and I can get that much money.. I lost the rubber earpiece for mine so it doesn't really fit now :ouch: But they still work fine so I'm keeping them for now.

The review seems quite good. 👍 But there is one big problem about this:
Sony MDR-EX35LP: 20.00 GBP = 122.291 MYR
Which is quite a lot for an earphone but I don't aspect anything less. But then again, my (fixed up) Griffin Tunebuds wasn't exactly cheap either:
275,000.00 IDR = 100.636 MYR
I could probably find cheaper and better earphones for cheaper...... (like the Razer pro|tone that was only RM100)

I guess that the price for what you paid for. 👍 Also I think I really disagree with your statement on the jack. I really love to have that right angled jack earphones cause it makes it easier to roll up the around my iPod and put it in my pocket. The Tunebud was a straight jack and just after 2 months of purchasing the wire near the jack was bent and had to be cut. :ouch: (but then again, maybe the jack design was heavily flawed) I can agree on the part you said the buds cant cancel out the outside noise as much, but mine cant 100% cancel out the outside noise either. :dopey: A good sound cancelling earphones (Shure, Sennheiser, etc.) will cause a lot of money though...... :indiff:

Last edited:
The right angle jack won't bother me as usually use the case's cord wrap to see problems with the annoying tangles that happen with earphones.

I will think about buying these as my 11 month old skullcandy's just got shot(dead) in the left earbud recently.

Last edited:
Great review, Robin. 👍

I have one question though. If you turn the volume up while wearing them, will other people around you be able to hear your music clearly? I find this problem a real pain... especially on public transport. I prefer to keep my loud Silverchair songs to myself.

Although I dislike right-angled headphone jacks, this one will come in advantage for me. The headphone insert point for the Touch is positioned at the bottom, and... well, it just doesn't work when you want to put it in your pocket.

Great review, Robin. 👍

I have one question though. If you turn the volume up while wearing them, will other people around you be able to hear your music clearly? I find this problem a real pain... especially on public transport. I prefer to keep my loud Silverchair songs to myself.

Although I dislike right-angled headphone jacks, this one will come in advantage for me. The headphone insert point for the Touch is positioned at the bottom, and... well, it just doesn't work when you want to put it in your pocket.

When I asked other people around me if they could hear them they said not really, as in its barely noticeable and this was indoors when it was quiet so I doubt anyone would hear them out and about.

They dont have any bass holes or anything so very little sound escapes other than what hasnt totally been sealed by the ear buds, the better the fit the less will escape im guessing, all in all I would say they are quite reasonable at sound insolation.. something like 4/5.

Another thing I did was take them off and still had the music playing and I couldnt hear them at all because without your ear canal to add bass its practically inaudible.

jacoja08

Good to see im not the only one! :sly:

As for the right hand jack some of you have stated that you like the layout because it allows you to easily wrap the headphones round the player, see I dont do that, I coil them round my hand and dump them in a separate pouch. I just find right angle puts strain on the jack and socket pulling 'off centre' from the player which means that if you snag the cord it will get yanked out sideways rather than just slipping straight up... I can see though if you want to wrap it round right angle is easier.

If anyone needs any more info feel free to ask 👍

Robin

Thanks Rob. I read your reply this morning, and thought it sounded very good. I shopped around today but couldn't find those exact earphones, so I bought a set of similar Sennheiser CX300's instead (which the people at the JB store also highly recommended). Just need to open the child-proof packaging now. 👍

http://www.digitalhome.com.au/iPod_...nnheiser/CX300B_In_Ear_Headphones,_Black/1654

Edit: Wow, they pack a real punch. I thought the bass was going to blow my brains out when I used them at first. Very clear, and great sound quality. :)
And you're right about the noise it produces outside. You can hardly hear the music when they are not attached to your ears, so that's an epic win.

Last edited:
I see the color options are coming in the US.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8964864&type=product&id=1218008398563

I'm so gonna get these since they look decently better than most other products.

I also noticed how they have changed the product number to MDREX36V probably because of the addition of the inline volume control... I guess thats an extra bonus! But the actual headphones are identical the the EX35's. Nice to see that the colour options are also headed stateside.

These are really new and have only just been released in Japan and Asia so it will probably be a couple of weeks before they are available everywhere in the US.... they are also coming to the EU/UK soon.

I bought a set of similar Sennheiser CX300's instead (which the people at the JB store also highly recommended).

Good choice 👍, slightly more pricey but like the Sony's well worth the dosh... makes you think how much better could a lot higher priced headphones could possibly be?!... I guess at some point the quality differences will be negilible.

Robin

do those ones hurt the inside of your ears? that's the main reason I don't wear those kind is because after about 20 minutes the inside of my ear starts to hurt and i need to get them out.

do those ones hurt the inside of your ears? that's the main reason I don't wear those kind is because after about 20 minutes the inside of my ear starts to hurt and i need to get them out.

They only hurt if they don't fit well which I why you have to try the different sized ear buds they give you till you find the ones which fit the best. They will never be as comfortable as normal on ear headphones but even after hours of use my ears didnt feel overly uncomfortable... they may have been slightly stiff but not sore.

Also you left and right ear can differ slightly so maybe one size bud is right for one but not for the other. If you do get pain from using them though then I would just stick to on ear.

Robin

Thanks Rob. I read your reply this morning, and thought it sounded very good. I shopped around today but couldn't find those exact earphones, so I bought a set of similar Sennheiser CX300's instead (which the people at the JB store also highly recommended). Just need to open the child-proof packaging now. 👍
Awww.... wish I had the money to afford one of those. Its almost triple the price of the current earphones that I used, just like the Shure earphones that I thought was cheap........ :guilty: Although, if I ever had the money I would totally by one of these... 👍

IE6_m.jpg

Well, like what Robin said, maybe you need to adjust the earpiece before putting it into your ear. Another thing is maybe your not used to using it, I really hated using that thing at first, but after awhile I got used to using it and now its not really a problem. But the bad thing of using in-earphones is that they may damage your ears in the long run...... :ill:

makes you think how much better could a lot higher priced headphones could possibly be?!...
Exactly what I was thinking. Unless you buy a set of Giant headphones, I can't imagine earphones improving a great deal. There were a pair at the store which cost over AUD$110, which had the 'volume control' feature. But is it really needed?

I guess the only minor drawback about these noise-reducing earphones is the, err... internal noise. When you eat food, that's all you can hear. When you walk the dog, the sound of your footsteps interfere with the music. You can probably hear your own heartbeat during real quite songs.

My last question is the sony earbuds J shaped(one earbud longer than the other)?

No this one is Y shaped.

jacoja08
I guess the only minor drawback about these noise-reducing earphones is the, err... internal noise. When you eat food, that's all you can hear. When you walk the dog, the sound of your footsteps interfere with the music. You can probably hear your own heartbeat during real quite songs.

lol, Its True!

Robin

Last edited:
May be worth picking up a set seeing how cheap they are.

How do they compare to the Sony MDR-EX71's of the past? I had a pair before my Senn CX-300B's (RIP) and they had boomy, muddy bass and the highs were extremely lacking.

I only ever use Sony Earphone's...with the exception of my Logitech Wireless Earphones.
I have been using preactiaclly the same Sony earphones for over 2 years now I have found them to be great, the audio quality is pretty good...never given me any trouble. The Logitech's are a different story, they are really something else, Everytime I put them on I get reminded of how amazing high end Earphone audio quality is! I don't use them as much as I should, but yeah always a blast to race GT with them on.:D
I would recommend Sony to anyone looking to get a solid performance/audio quality for a great price.
Although if you take your sound very seriously and still want Earphones then go Logitech for the Ultimate in Audio.👍
Rusty*

Back