In practice mode what makes my timer turn red?

EggAndSpoon
Hi I have searched for this and found nothing. Any reference I have found to red is referring to red bull. Sorry if this has been asked and answered before.

This may happen in other modes too, but I am only aware of it in practice mode.

After I make a few mistakes the timer at the top of the screen turns red. If I continue to complete a lap, my time does not show in the list (even if it was the fastest).

I can't work out what makes it go red. I have driven on the grass for quite a way a few times and it doesn't go red. Other times it seems to go red if I put one wheel on the grass or hit a barrier.

It is very frustrating. I can't drive aggressively for fear of it going red and wasting my time if I make a simple mistake. (A mistake I would ordinarily be able to recover from and still go on to beat my best time)

Is there a definitive reason for it going red? i.e. a certain amount of time spent off the track or the severity of a crash? It seems random to me.

So basically it is an alert that you would have been disqualified if you were playing by the rules. Sweet, I was wondering the same thing.

Cutting corners is the most common reason for the time being thrown out. By thrown out I mean it not counting as a time. Next is hitting wall harder then just a tap. Its sorta a anti-cheat for those people that cut corners with cars, or never brake and ride the wall though the corner.

Last edited:
OP: your mention of "i make a few mistakes" and then wondering about the timer being red should be self explanatory really. GT is a racing and driving sim, so if you step outside the boundaries then there is going to be penalties.
Yes you can look at it as an "anti-cheat" function but its more keeping to the sim side of things.. read up on general racing rules. You'll find that if you tap another car you won't get pinged by the timer unless you're already past the other car's B pillar.

Real life racing you'll get a drive thru or a stop and go penalty in the pits for that.. simple rule, don't drive as aggressively to the extent of needing to leave the track

It means the current lap been voided. It happens when you do unacceptable & unfair actions, like cutting corners or wall-riding. It can also void future laps as well, depending on how many times you do unacceptable & unfair actions.

unacceptable & unfair actions.

unnacceptable... and unfair...

just what is unnacceptable and unfair when you're racing against a time you set yourself that no one else can compete against?

i can see the conversation now.

"HA! take that, Self. i got top time now!"
"wtf ever, Self, you cheated."
"did not."
"did, too."

OP: your mention of "i make a few mistakes" and then wondering about the timer being red should be self explanatory really.

Well I know. I stated in my original post that I new it was this, but I couldn't quite work out what specifically triggered it because I have driven on grass for ages and nothing, then just a wheel on the grass seems to make it go red. There didn't seem to be any logic behind it.

The answer by REDMARIEN seems to make most sense. Thanks.

So basically it is an alert that you would have been disqualified if you were playing by the rules. Sweet, I was wondering the same thing.

It basically saying that you went off the road and maybe cut a corner a little, and the lap won't be counted as a true clean lap...... I still count them though. I like running the burg and for me it's almost impossible to run a clean lap and not run off the road.....💡

It basically means you left the track in such a way that you were deemed to have gained an advantage. Cutting the chicanes at Monza will give you it, spearing off into the gravel at Degner, not so much >__>
It can also void your next lap if you do it towards the end of a lap.

unnacceptable... and unfair...

just what is unnacceptable and unfair when you're racing against a time you set yourself that no one else can compete against?

i can see the conversation now.

"HA! take that, Self. i got top time now!"
"wtf ever, Self, you cheated."
"did not."
"did, too."

Well, this is PRACTICE mode, practice is there so you can learn and improve, having the rules in place ensures that people do not improve by ways that are deemed inappropiate.

This is a driving game and everyone will tell you practice makes perfect, or you might be tuning your car or driving a different car and be comparing times.

Also, these penalties are in place to help you become a better driver, you crash, you get penalty - then learn how not to crash - become a better driver...

It is highly unlikey that the very first lap you set will be your fastest, so by doing continuous laps you get to see your different lap times and can judge whether improvements are being made or not.

Also, there's a data logger for you to analyse aswell..

👍

Back