Iranian students demonstrate against... Iran?

• Thread starter niky
  • 25 comments

niky

Karma Chameleon
Staff Emeritus
Philippines
Philippines
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g2YgY2ppO_diSEl3NN0g85tl4oRwD8S5B3181

Rare Protest Targets Iranian President

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI – 8 hours ago

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — About 100 students staged a rare protest Monday against Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, calling him a "dictator" as he gave a speech at Tehran University marking the beginning of the academic year.

While the demonstrators and hard-line students loyal to Ahmadinejad scuffled in the auditorium, the president ignored chants of "Death to the dictator" and gave his speech on the merits of science and the pitfalls of Western-style democracy, witnesses said.

The hard-line students chanted "Thank you, president" as police looked on from outside the university's gates without intervening. The protesters dispersed after Ahmadinejad left the campus.

Students were once the main power base of Iran's reform movement but have faced intense pressure in recent years from Ahmadinejad's hard-line government, making anti-government protests rare.

The president faced a similar outburst during a speech last December when students at Amir Kabir Technical University called him a dictator and burned his picture.

Organizers hoped to avoid a similar disturbance Monday with tightened security measures. They checked the identity papers of everyone entering the campus and allowed only selected students into the hall for the speech, but the protesters were somehow able to gain entrance.

Iran's reform movement peaked in the late 1990s after reformist Mohammad Khatami was elected president and his supporters swept parliament. But their efforts to ease social and political restrictions were stymied by hard-liners who control the judiciary, security forces and powerful unelected bodies in the government.

Reformists, who also favor better relations with the United States, were further demoralized and divided after Ahmadinejad won the presidency in 2005 elections.

In recent months, dissenters have witnessed an increasing crackdown, with hundreds detained on accusations of threatening the Iranian system. Numerous pro-reform newspapers have been shut down and those that remain have muted their criticism.

At universities, pro-government student groups have gained strength and reformist students have been marginalized, left to hold only low-level meetings and occasional demonstrations, usually to demand better school facilities or the release of detained colleagues.

Some dissenters blame the crackdown on the regime's fear of a U.S. effort to undermine it as tensions over Iran's nuclear program intensify. Others say the intent is simply to contain discontent fueled by a faltering economy.

Ahmadinejad's popularity at home has fallen since he was elected, with critics saying he has failed to fix the economy and has hurt Iran's image internationally.

Elected on a populist agenda, Ahmadinejad has not kept campaign promises to share oil revenues with every family, eradicate poverty and reduce unemployment. Instead, housing prices in Tehran have tripled, and prices for fruit, vegetables or other commodities have more than doubled over the past year. Inflation worsened after a 25 percent hike in fuel prices in May.

Last December, Ahmadinejad's allies were humiliated in municipal elections, with some reformists gaining seats. He was dealt another blow when a rival, former President Hashemi Rafsanjani, was chosen as chairman of the Assembly of Experts, a powerful clerical body, over a close Ahmadinejad ally.

Conservatives who once supported the president have increasingly joined in the criticism, saying that he needs to pay more attention to domestic issues and that his inflammatory rhetoric has needlessly stoked tensions with the West.

Pretty gutsy of them... dangerous game they're playing, and it's possible they're relying on the fact that Ahmadinejad doesn't want to appear as a dictator in front of the press and won't take any action against them (at least, not in public).

It may not be that long, I hope, before the Iranian problem actually takes care of itself.

See what happens when we don't do anything to help unite a country against us? Iranians aren't stupid animals.

See what happens when we don't do anything to help unite a country against us? Iranians aren't stupid animals.

Sorry Omnis. That's a radically oversimplified statement.

Yes, the majority of Iranian civilians don't like the current government situation. But the SAME was true in Iraq. The difference is the Iranians understand that their country's freedom is more important then a tribal/religious war. Look at Afghanistan, we went in there, got rid of the Taliban controlled government and the people got behind it. We thought we could do the same in Iraq. We were wrong.

Granted, you have a partial point but it's far to generalized.

You think this is going to actually have some effect? 100 students risking their lives just to speak out against their ruler? They'll be lucky if they're not dead within a year. And it's not like we couldn't round up many Iraqis who hated Hussein either.

What's your point here?

Sorry Omnis. That's a radically oversimplified statement.

That was kind of the point. lol.

You think this is going to actually have some effect? 100 students risking their lives just to speak out against their ruler? They'll be lucky if they're not dead within a year. And it's not like we couldn't round up many Iraqis who hated Hussein either.

What's your point here?

No, I don't. But, at least it's a step in the right direction.

I was just making a cheap aside, though. Don't take it too hard.

The thing is... it's there. And unlike Hussein, Ahmadinejad isn't a "dictator-for-life", and he does care about his popularity.

In other words, the people of Iran have much more freedom than the people of Afghanistan and Iraq did, and they're exercising that freedom. It's costing some of them (the detentions, the shut-downs), but as long as the anti-Ahmadinejad movement can keep up the noise, they can sway more people to their side.

I've been hearing stories that some of the electorate is unhappy about the broken campaign promises. It's a sure bet the president's chosen successor (or himself, if he decides to have another go at it) won't find such an easy victory.

Internal rot. That used to be America's favorite weapon of choice against its enemies (the USSR). Here, we don't even have to try that hard.

I vote for this being a pretty big step forward. It goes to show that the people of Iran are happy to act when they feel that something is going wrong, and furthermore, feel as though that they CAN do something. I mean sure, there are limitations to "democracy" in Iran, and I'm certain that we won't see a radical change any time soon... But should moderates prevail in this increasingly hostile environment, that can only be good news for the powers of the West.

I call this a victory for democracy...

I also think it's a pretty big deal, because it's big news. News media have pretty big effect on politics, and I'd classify this as a huge slap in the face of the Iranian Dictato... President.

I also think it's a pretty big deal, because it's big news. News media have pretty big effect on politics, and I'd classify this as a huge slap in the face of the Iranian Dictato... President.

there is hardly any media in iran and these demonstrations are nothing new...

there is hardly any media in iran and these demonstrations are nothing new...
I have no idea of the news media situation in Iran, but I was referring to this making news internationally.

so what effect is this supposed to have on politics? in iran, i fear that there will hardly be any effect since the people you see demonstrating are already against the regime and those who live out in the country won't get the news.

internationally, politicians are already over strained by the iranian president. he and the situation in iran is so unpredictable that nobody really knows what to do and these demonstrations won't really help that situation.

all that ahmadineschad has to do is threaten israel again and everybody will be jumping on the bandwagon again calling for sanctions. sanctions that will only hit the population and give ahmadineschad something to blame the economical situation on and strengthen his position against the west in the iranian population.

so what effect is this supposed to have on politics? in iran, i fear that there will hardly be any effect since the people you see demonstrating are already against the regime and those who live out in the country won't get the news.

internationally, politicians are already over strained by the iranian president. he and the situation in iran is so unpredictable that nobody really knows what to do and these demonstrations won't really help that situation.

all that ahmadineschad has to do is threaten israel again and everybody will be jumping on the bandwagon again calling for sanctions. sanctions that will only hit the population and give ahmadineschad something to blame the economical situation on and strengthen his position against the west in the iranian population.
I think we have a different perception on what the "big deal" is. You seem to be expecting a war, or revolution or something, where I'm suggesting that this(making the world news) will be humiliating enough for the administration, and it will dent their support internationally.

I think he's an idiot, but I don't know if I'd class him as a dictator, he was elected by the people and rumour is come their next election he'll be on his scooter.

I think he's an idiot, but I don't know if I'd class him as a dictator, he was elected by the people and rumour is come their next election he'll be on his scooter.
While there is nothing wrong with questioning me on that post, don't take my little joke too seriously. His administration does show some of the characteristics of dictatorship or totalitarian government, so I just joked about it.

I think we have a different perception on what the "big deal" is. You seem to be expecting a war, or revolution or something, where I'm suggesting that this(making the world news) will be humiliating enough for the administration, and it will dent their support internationally.

what kind of support does iran have internationally?!

what kind of support does iran have internationally?!
Wrong wording, sorry. I have no idea where the "support" came from.

I should have said that it will hurt the reputation of the President...... internationally.

Wrong wording, sorry. I have no idea where the "support" came from.

I should have said that it will hurt the reputation of the President...... internationally.
his reputation for being absolutely ridiculous?

do you think someone like putin, who himself treats his opposition, journalists and demonstrators like ****, will now suddenly think he must do something for those poor iranians?

his reputation for being absolutely ridiculous?
No, it doesn't have anything to do with how ridiculous he is. To the people who did not know about the previous protests(most people), this news showed that strong opposion exist inside Iran. To the people who are familiar with the situation, it enforced their perception that the President does not have as strong of support of the Iranians as many might think.
do you think someone like putin, who himself treats his opposition, journalists and demonstrators like ****, will now suddenly think he must do something for those poor iranians?
No. And you said these protests are nothing new? I doubt that it will affect the view by someone like Putin, who's job is to know these things, and are more informed than rest of the population.

Let me spell this out. When I say the "news" having effect, I mean to the public, at least at first. But public opinion tend to affect politicians. The tide of opinion builds up pressure, and while it will not trigger something immdiately, it has good chance of shaping up the outcome.

allright, i see what you're getting at. ;)
I wasn't sure if I was ever going to get through to you. Not because you are being difficult or anything like that, but because of my limited ability to put things into words right now. My mind's been foggy last week or two, I don't know what's going on.

Also, right after posting my message this morning, I realized that it was my choice of words, "big deal" that was probably responsible for the misunderstanding. To some people, losing five bucks can be a big deal, but to others, "big deal" maybe something more critical than that. Sorry for the confusion. :D

Back