Is F1 2011 realistic?F1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter diablo6vt
  • 12 comments
Seems like a strange question, but some things have been bugging me:

• Game laptimes don't compare well to real race laptimes... I sometimes find myself running faster laps than Vettel/Button etc do in real life. I run with no driving aids. And I honestly don't mean to make this statement in a proud way.
  • When I try to study how the F1 drivers take their laps in real life, I notice they take the same corners with quite different gears than I do. I'm sure its also gotta do with their gear ratio/car setup, but com'on, that different?

I'm sure there are many more examples, just can't remember at the moment... But all this makes me wonder how much of a "simulator" F1 2011 is, and and this second guessing isn't good for my gaming experience :scared:

So yeah, comments on the realism on F1 2011?

Seems like a strange question, but some things have been bugging me:

• Game laptimes don't compare well to real race laptimes... I sometimes find myself running faster laps than Vettel/Button etc do in real life. I run with no driving aids. And I honestly don't mean to make this statement in a proud way.

As well they shouldn't. Many people tend to get caught up in mirroring real life lap times around any individual track when what they should be worrying about is trying to inch more out of the car than any racing driver ever could without severely harming themselves, or worse off killing themselves. As far as realism goes, unless you're running a professional simulator where almost every real life variable is accounted for, you just shouldn't worry about that.

• When I try to study how the F1 drivers take their laps in real life, I notice they take the same corners with quite different gears than I do. I'm sure its also gotta do with their gear ratio/car setup, but com'on, that different?

Again, so many variables in real life that dictate these scenarios that aren't going to be replicated faithfully in a general public/consumer simulator.

I'm sure there are many more examples, just can't remember at the moment... But all this makes me wonder how much of a "simulator" F1 2011 is, and and this second guessing isn't good for my gaming experience :scared:

So yeah, comments on the realism on F1 2011?

There's nothing wrong with being curious, mate. The one thing you should keep in mind is that as far as video games are concerned, you should absolutely be getting 1-3, or even 5 second faster laps than Vettel, Button, or Webber simply because you don't have to succumb to the same limitations as they do; if you push hard in to a corner and crash you essentially learn from it, and should you decide to, restart the event. Can't do that in real life.

As far as it being realistic goes, yeah it's good, it could be better but it's entirely relative to most of what F1 actually is.

I'd say it's as realistic as a game that most people simply want to enjoy after sitting down in front of the TV can get. 95% of people don't want to read up on aerodynamics, brake mechanics, gear ratios etc. so it's well balanced, I think. :)

As well they shouldn't. Many people tend to get caught up in mirroring real life lap times around any individual track when what they should be worrying about is trying to inch more out of the car than any racing driver ever could without severely harming themselves, or worse off killing themselves. As far as realism goes, unless you're running a professional simulator where almost every real life variable is accounted for, you just shouldn't worry about that.

Although the laptimes possible in the game at Singapore are just a tad ridiculous. Beyond the benefits of simply being able to push past the lack of danger.

I think its clear with GT5 that you can make the game realistically re-create real laptimes while still allowing the lack of danger and the "perfect" conditions to give slightly faster laptimes.

Certainly F1 2011 is not very realistic at all in a lot of aspects, though its reasonably close enough to provide a decent game.
F1 2011 is not a "simulator" though no game is. GT5 is not really a simulator either. A simulator aims only to perfectly re-create an experience. GT5 and F1 2011 aim to provide a fun game as well as trying to be realistic, this always means there are some compromises to provide features not found in a simulator.

I have had the pleasure of playing 2 different racing games on motion rigs.

First one was rFactor, on the Lienz stage you get with the game, I know it well. I just couldnt get it right, being thrown around the cockpit of the car makes it very different.

Open wheel wise, I tried iRacing on a motion rig at a gameshow, Indy car round Brands, again a combo I know well from playing iRacing. I could barely string 2 laps together and it wore me out, fighting G force, bumps etc, its such a different experiance and makes everything feel a lot harder. I certainly did not wanna go off track, that was so bumpy it almost hurt!

Its very different and is one of the many variables the guys above have mentioned.

The realistic nature of the game and lap time comparisons between reality and the game are mutually exclusive. Any racing game can have a 100% accurate physics engine and still have lap times that differ from reality. This is due to the fact that the track on the game is a simulation of the actual circuit. At this point, no video game on the planet can boast that a track is 100% accurate.

When it comes down to it, most of us will never know how realistic the game replicates the inputs of the gamer/driver and the reaction of the simulated Formula 1 racecar. However, this is the first F1 game I've played that seems to simulate the low(er) speed grip that these cars have. Most games before (F1:CE as a prime example) were all about point and shoot. Because of this, you are rewarded with realistic driving lines.

Its a game, some people get so wrapped up in these games that they actually begin to beleive that the lap time they get in game is the lap time they would gwet in real life.

I think we all know that thats not the case. So if a few lap times are incorrct big deal, the game is an official F1 game, its a great game to get a feel of the racing andf to drive the tracks and stuff, but really thats as far as it goes. Thats not a dig at CM for the game, the game is great and does what it says on the tin, but it is a dig at all these people who actually have been brain washed by GT into thinking that they skills they have on a computer game are proof of their skills in real life cars!!

its laughable. Enjoy the games and enjoy beating the computer and stuff but to think CM can give you a full on sim so you can say that you lap Monza faster than Vettle so therefore you could be champion of F1 is a demented joke.

Actually I'm of the opinion, at least for GT5, that PD tries its best to recreate the real-life driving experience. That's why PD painstakingly models each car's physical details, weight distributions, handling, etc. And that's what took them 5 years to develop. Granted it still falls short of reality for many reasons already mentioned here (e.g. lack of danger, lack of g-forces, track modelling differences, etc), but I'd say it does make an attempt.

And if we're saying here that, in order to cater to a wider audience, CM isn't even trying to be a sim in the way that GT5 is, that's certainly disappointing for me. Sure, I love fighting CM's AI, and I must admit that I find the F1 game a lot more intense than GT5... but I'd actually much prefer knowing that real F1 cars will handle the same as the game, for example when I intentionally provoke oversteers, catch spins, etc in game. In fact, I'd be happy to pay for a game that does that for me, just because I know there's no way I'll ever get to drive a real F1 car. Too much to ask? :)

is any F1 game realisitic?

In GT5P, I'd tap the brakes with abs off and there would be tons of smoke like as if I locked them up.

The tracks are build up from pictures and data, rather than being scanned, they won't be 100% accurate, same with the cars and the surface and the grip level. Generally the game has the "edge" taken off to allow the average joe to play it, a real simulator would be less forgiving and many corners would have to be taken with more care, at a lower speed.

Which is why you see faster laptimes, not to mention you're sitting on your ass infront of a screen and not being thrown around and beatup inside an F1 car at high g-forces.

CM themselves have admitted that f12011 is not intended to be a simulator but if thats not enough to convince you just think about you doing as good as great drivers such as Hamilton... that should answer your question. And Im not saying that you don't have talent or whatsoever... but we are talking about professionals, about people that devoted their lives to racing, people that have more time in race cars than regular people in school. Let me put it this way: if you ever drove any car on a track, you know all these console games (including GT5, which is the best in my opinion) are like a simulation of a simulator. Nevertheless they're awesome and they do awake on us the basics of fast driving such as breaking points, driving lines, etc.. GT5 will awake on us concepts such as oversteer and understeer better then F12011 but I like both games. F12011 is for f1 fanatics. GT5 is fun playing online on the right room.

Back