Is it useless to buy a wheel if I like the chase cam most?

Third person view/chase cam, whatever....would it be pointless to buy it if I like the outside view best?

A wheel is about control and smoothness, I would say no matter what camera you use, it will improve your times.

----

I'm sure there must be a thread with that answer in it somewhere.

It's not useless at all...
First - the experience is much more intense & real
Second - you will have more fun & control
Third - On GT3/GT4 my brother used to use the chase-cam as well when using a controller, even though I always tried to tell him to use the bumper.
But when I purchase a wheel (DFP) he switched to the bumper view almost immediately and said that it is a lot more fun & real !!! :sly:

I am just so accustomed to the analog controller.....I did the hardest GT4 missions with a controller and I fear I'd be wasting money on a product that I do not need.

I am just so accustomed to the analog controller.....I did the hardest GT4 missions with a controller and I fear I'd be wasting money on a product that I do not need.

Trust me... a wheel is a GOOD investment... WWWAAAYYYY more control over every aspect of the car... steering, throttle and braking... It just takes a couple of weeks to get accustomed to it... and then youre demolishing your 6axis times :) I used a controller since GT1 and didnt get a wheel until GT5P and when I finally did I wondered why I hadnt done this WAAAYYYY earlier... :) Just some advice and my experience for you ....

Third person view/chase cam, whatever... would it be pointless to buy it if I like the outside view best?
hi :) imo if you like chase-cam best, stick to the controller. i have a wheel (df-ex), but if i'm feeling like having a chilled out play rather that the 'im in my race seat with my wheel' intense kind of session, i use the controller and i'm more likely to use chase-cam

to me, it's two different mindsets

if you really fancy getting a wheel at some point, i'd suggest you try to get yourself into cockpit or bumper-cam with your controller. then when you're comfortable about where you are, make the switch to a wheel

I use a Chase Cam in most games as I only bought G25 recently. Now when playing GT or Ferrari Challenge on PS3, I make it a point I use the in-car view. Only for the experience.

But From what I can say.. The only game that I can actually use the wheel in Chase Cam is GT5P (for now). Coz the Cam is locked behind the car. As in, when you turn in, you don't see the sides of the car. Now this makes a H U G E difference.. In Ferrari Challenge, I HAVE to use the bumper cam or the in-car view. But I find myself much quicker in GT5P with Chase Cam, I can read the braking and turn-in points and almost hit the Apex perfectly in every corner with a Chase-Cam and a Wheel in GT5P. Sorry to say no other game though..

I have a G25 wheel and enjoy the additional realisim that it provides. With the controller, you feel like you are playing a video game .... with the wheel, you feel like you are driving the car (regardless of the view you use). It adds a whole other dimension of immursion and is just simply more fun :)

I like to use the cockpit view when I'm just racing for fun or when racing offline. When I'm online in an intermediate event, I use the cockpit view. When I'm in an expert event and racing "for real", I use the chase cam view because it gives me the ability to see more clearly what's around me and how close I am to other cars. To me, the wheel enhances the experience no matter what view I use. Sometimes I shoot video of my race and will switch views once or twice a lap just to add variety and interest to the video when it's edited.

An important aspect of wheel use however is proper positioning. I owned wheels for years and never used them because I could not easily mount them to furniture that gave me a realistic driving position. I finally broke down and bought a "seat/chassis" system (7 years ago) that allows proper positioning .... it made all the difference in the world. Many people have built home-built suitable set ups at very little cost.

Everything everyone here has said about the available finese that you have with the wheel is totally true. You have better control in all areas after you train your brain to adapt. Regardless of that, the main reason I love the wheel is simply for the intense realsim and immursion :dopey:

I used to use a controller and chase game, long long ago ;) Once I got a wheel, I could never get used to using it in chase cam, it jsut felt so unnatural to me to be using chase cam with a wheel. So I swapped to bumper/cockpit (depending on what the game allowed) immediately. Also, it took a while for my lap times to reach the same level as they were with a controller. I can't say if I'd be faster with a controller now though, because I haven't used one for so long there's no point doing a comparison, but I know I'm competitive using the wheel, which is good enough for me.

After I got used to using a wheel I got way more into sims rather than arcade games. I'd always loved cars, but after using a wheel my attention shifted to sims more.

I find the chase-cam view very unnatural with a wheel. It may seem weird to you at first when you shift from pad/chase to wheel/cockpit(or bumper), but you will gradually adjust to it. Much, MUCH more immersive with wheel... 👍

Do you guys use wheel stands? The problem for me is, my room is super small and my bed takes up a lot of space, so I play from the bed. Would a wheel be at least somewhat comfortable on my lap or on a piece of wood on my lap?

You could try a Logitech wheel with the lap attachment thingy, but it might get difficult to drive in those conditions.

I've seen some people race with a wheel on their lap, but I can't, especially a force feedback wheel. I need something solid to attach the wheel to (like a computer desk), but other people may differ.

When I actually first got a wheel, I used a little coffee table, it was barely even knee height, I had to mount the wheel as close to the edge and put the pedals off to one side because my legs didn't fit under the table :P So I could only use my right foot for the pedals. The table was so light I had to put weights on it to stop it jumping (but it still wiggled around like you wouldn't believe). It was a pretty dodgy set up, but it was still fun :)

Would a wheel be at least somewhat comfortable on my lap or on a piece of wood on my lap?

No.

You need something firm to anchor it to. I haven't used one, but I would imagine a wheelstand is the answer to your dilemma.

Buying a wheel is the best thing you can do for yourself no matter what view you use. I have had my DFGT for a grand total of 1.5 days. The first couple of hours was extremely frustrating, but once you get used to the level of control you have at your finger tips, you can do things at speed that simply aren't possible with a 6 axis.

I don't think you will regret it.

Trust me... a wheel is a GOOD investment... WWWAAAYYYY more control over every aspect of the car... steering, throttle and braking... It just takes a couple of weeks to get accustomed to it... and then youre demolishing your 6axis times :) I used a controller since GT1 and didnt get a wheel until GT5P and when I finally did I wondered why I hadnt done this WAAAYYYY earlier... :) Just some advice and my experience for you ....

truf....

Do you guys use wheel stands? The problem for me is, my room is super small and my bed takes up a lot of space, so I play from the bed. Would a wheel be at least somewhat comfortable on my lap or on a piece of wood on my lap?

I bought the wheelstand pro, and the thing made my gaming life incomparably easier. My set-up could take up to ten minutes (with a plank & some boxes) and it felt like playing Jenga. Plus ten minutes to tug it away...

Now, it takes about one minute to set up : take it from the wall, open & fix, plug-in, play. There is just no other solution when space is a problem. My DFGT came to life the day I had this.

Back