Is there a "what car should I buy" megathread/sticky?

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 1 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
Because I think it'd make a lot of sense to have one for such a car-oriented forum. If there already exists such a thread, would it be possible for the mods to merge this post into it? I'd appreciate that, but I digress.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a car sometime in the next few years, as I currently drive my parents' 2008 Honda Odyssey - not that I'm ashamed of it. But I want a car in my own name, and I was specifically thinking of a "traditional" hybrid to save on fuel, versus a PHEV like the Toyota Prius Prime. I don't want a PHEV because the apartment complex I was looking at seems real nice, but there'd be nowhere to plug in a PHEV, let alone a full-on EV, despite all the Teslas I've been seeing around here. I also want it to be $30k or less, though I know I might have to wait for the car market to take a nosedive. (Hopefully that'll be sooner than later.) As for drivetrain, my preference would be towards AWD, though FWD will also suffice, as I unfortunately can't get a RWD car.

Personally, I was thinking of the Hyundai Elantra Hybrid, specifically the basic Blue trim. I liked test-driving a Hyundai Ioniq Blue, as well, but I read on Consumer Reports that the brakes are really bad on them. Other models and manufacturers aren't exactly out of the question for me, either, as I do hear the Toyota Corolla Hybrid is also good. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I'd love for the MPGs to hover around 50, if possible; at least 40 would be good.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back