Premium
United States
NJ/USA
Blitzbay
Blitzbay
Penske Racing fires Kurt Busch
By Jim Utter - jutter@charlotteobserver.com
Sunday, Dec. 04, 2011

For the second time in his Sprint Cup Series career, an off-track issue has cost Kurt Busch his job.

Busch will not return next season to drive Penske Racing's No. 22 Dodge, multiple sources confirmed to the Observer and ThatsRacin.com on Sunday night.

An official announcement of Busch's departure from the organization is expected from Penske on Monday.

Just over a week ago NASCAR fined Busch $50,000 for the use of an obscene gesture and a profanity-laced tirade directed toward a media member during the Cup series finale race at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

The incident with ESPN reporter Dr. Jerry Punch, which took place in the garage after Busch's car broke its transmission, was caught on video and posted on YouTube.

At the time, Penske Racing officials issued a statement saying they were reviewing the matter internally.

Asked if he could confirm Busch as the driver of the No. 22 team in 2012, Penske spokesman Jonathan Gibson referred to its previous statement and said the organization would have no further comment at this time.

In November 2005, less than one year after winning his first Cup series championship, Busch was fired by Roush Fenway Racing after he was cited for criminal reckless in Avondale, Ariz., in what police described as an alcohol-related incident.

Busch sat out the remaining two races of the 2005 season. He began driving for team owner Roger Penske in the 2006 season.

Since joining Penske, Busch has won 10 races and his highest finish in the series standings was fourth in 2009.

This decision comes very late in the year and puts both Busch and Penske in a difficult position.

There are no quality rides currently available for next season for Busch to pursue, and no drivers with a resume on the track similar to Busch's presumably available for Penske to hire.

Several drivers who competed in the Cup series this season remain without rides, including David Ragan, Brian Vickers and David Reutimann.

Read more: http://www.thatsracin.com/2011/12/04/80040/penske-racing-fires-kurt-busch.html#ixzz1fccxnPPh

Wow. This is quite a surprise, to say the least. Shell/Pennzoil obviously hasn't been happy with Busch as of late, but I'm not at all sure that they will be better off with someone like Hornish or Ragan in the car next year. It will be quite interesting to see where Busch ends up next year, as there's a distinct chance he'll be relegated to a Nationwide job or some marginal Cup Series program.

Very surprising indeed. However nothing is on NASCAR.com about it so I'm not convinced it's 100% true. It's a shame, both Busch brothers are incredibly talented, but have horrible decision making skills.

Too bad Bowyer is at MWR. :P Maybe Darian Grubb + David Reutimann?

Well, with a profile driver like him, there's a chance he could race at RCR if Childress feels it'd be worth it to activate the 33 car after he just essentially shut it down.

Dunno how his brother would feel about that though, what with him racing with his arch rival Kevin Harvick.... but then wait a minute. Rumors were surrounding Gibbs team about Logano about being replaced by Edwards mid-way through the season. There's the possibility that Gibbs could let him go to have a Busch brother team. But then Logano would be in a tough spot, though he really has never performed at a cup level (but he could get there, since he's still young. Lots of possibilities).

Who knows.

As much as we may not like his attitude, he's a driver that gets results and I'd consider adding him to my team if he was available, even if it was short term just to get some results.

Hopefully his attitude improves with this, because this would certainly humble me to be in another situation like this for the second time in my career.

I think it's interesting how both brothers are such good drivers, (Kyle seems to be better, but the younger sibling always seems to adapt better) yet so socially inept. Sounds like a Jerry Springer episode in the making.

*whistles*

Wow, I wouldn't have predicted that - it's so sudden. Would serve him right in a way, but I've never seen a pair like the Busch brothers that are so talented yet so prone to being loose cannons. Also, there's no stand-out replacements as far as I an see. Maybe Penske ought to chase down Justin Allgaier and bring him back at the cup level?

Either way you'd think Kurt (and Kyle, for that matter) would learn some tact eventually.

With the way Kurt has treated his crew this year when the car hasn't been 100%, I'm surprised Roger Penske put up with the bulls**t for so long. Kyle is incredibly lucky Joe Gibbs has the patience of a saint or else he would've joined Kurt in the unemployment line after the infamous Texas incident.

With the way Kurt has treated his crew this year when the car hasn't been 100%, I'm surprised Roger Penske put up with the bulls**t for so long. Kyle is incredibly lucky Joe Gibbs has the patience of a saint or else he would've joined Kurt in the unemployment line after the infamous Texas incident.

Well technically, it would've been a little extreme for Gibbs to fire Kyle for doing something that was involving Kyle's own team and trucks. They can be disappointed that it affected Gibbs rides later that weekend, but that was a result of NASCAR, not Busch (who I'm sure would've thought differently if he knew that he'd get parked).

We'll see how Kurt improves/degenerates with this news.

Last edited:
While him being released isn't a shocker, the timing is.

Hopefully this will give a young driver, like Stenhouse Jr. or Bayne a shot at a full time cup ride.

Good. What's real surprising is that they haven't fired him sooner. So, who's left to hire him? I guess Smokes would be willing to. They have about the same personality.

Good. What's real surprising is that they haven't fired him sooner. So, who's left to hire him? I guess Smokes would be willing to. They have about the same personality.

No. Smoke is much more mature when he decides to dislike or attack something in that he attacks the problem, not the person 'causing the problem (while indirectly attacking that person).

Also, Kurt and Smoke had a history a few years ago where a few races over a few years had the two of them beating and banging each other to pieces until they were finally called into the big red trailer. Now normally things are resolved and people shake hands reluctantly and go on, but Kurt decided to dip way below the belt and started calling Smoke "fat" and made fun of his haircut. Smoke decided to not verbally acknowledge the comments and instead made his retaliation perfectly clear...

with his fists.

ESPN is also "reporting" it: It's rare I want to see someone lose their ride, but in this case, it's nice to see that being an unprofessional crybaby doesn't work.

They're also reporting that he flipped off an ambulance, kicked a puppy, and did a donut in a botanical garden on the way out of work.

I hope it's not Ragan, sure he's a nice guy but I don't see him being successful.

I hope it's not Ragan, sure he's a nice guy but I don't see him being successful.

I don't think any of the cup drivers that have recently lost their ride would be a very good fit. They are all pretty much the same in that if all the stars align they can run up front and maybe contend for a win or two, otherwise they struggle to get a top 15.

That is why I said Bayne or Stenhouse, both have shown they can be competitive in Nationwide and would love to see them in a fully funded cup ride. Allgaier would also be a good fit, but don't think Turner would be as willing to let him out of his contract.

Maybe Kyle could employ Kurt as a Truck Driver :dopey:

Anyhow i'm glad he got sacked (was mutually told to **** off) it was so completley unproffesional what he did too Jerry Punch , his on track rants at the Team and Steve Addington was bad enough .

Maybe Kyle could employ Kurt as a Truck Driver :dopey:

Could pretty much be his only hope at a seat next season.:lol:

Currently sounds like Ragan may be signed to a one year deal. Would give Penske some time to find a high quality driver at least.

I don't think any of the cup drivers that have recently lost their ride would be a very good fit. They are all pretty much the same in that if all the stars align they can run up front and maybe contend for a win or two, otherwise they struggle to get a top 15.

That is why I said Bayne or Stenhouse, both have shown they can be competitive in Nationwide and would love to see them in a fully funded cup ride. Allgaier would also be a good fit, but don't think Turner would be as willing to let him out of his contract.

You're implying that both of them aren't locked up with Roush.

And now, he will race in formula 1. For ferrari.

Are you trying to be a comedian or are you really thinking this?

I know this is a dumb idea but what about Robby Gordon considering he was in a Penske Dodge this year.

Just saw the SPEED Center report aka "Emergency NASCAR Race Hub in a different building" and an informal quote from one of the Penske guys said that Ragan was already their new man. We'll see how accurate that turns out but we won't have to wait long as there's an announcement coming at the end of the week.

Kurt even made a good point in that he's a NASCAR Champion and gets the Champion's provisional so he's most likely going to be in Cup, maybe not in a big team, but he'll be there every week and he'll be racing thanks to the Provisional. While it's sort of a long shot, he could find himself in the #35 or #36 Chevrolets assuming they can afford him. Or a team could find the sponsorship and add a fourth car if they didn't have one already.

Lastly, he could replace Joey Logano in the #20... assuming Gibbs wants to deal with two Busch brothers. But they could also help cool each other off... hopefully.

Dammit. Not a Ragan fan.

As long as this doesn't affect BK in any negative way, I guess I'm ok with it.

MÜLE_9242;6292066
You're implying that both of them aren't locked up with Roush.

They are, but neither are fully sponsored so I'm guessing Roush wouldn't have a problem letting them go if they were offered a cup ride.

Back