Lancia Stratos is bugged

• Thread starter Fury
  • 32 comments
Short wheelbase + rear heavy + soft suspension = difficult to manage weight transfer and tendency to have sudden snap oversteer. Although GT's overdone weight transfer physics might have made it worse than real life, so in some ways it is "bugged" as you say :P I've driven mods of it in Assetto and while it's quite twitchy, it doesn't try to kill you in every corner.

It's a well known trait of the car though, similar to old 911s and MR2s. But the Stratos isn't as well known or mass produced so people just aren't aware of its difficult to handle status. They just see it as a WRC legend and think it handles like a dream. Those who have enough skills to extract its potential can use its instability as agility, which makes it unbeatable on tarmac rallies back in the day.

Definitely one of the hardest cars to drive in the GT series for sure. Along with old Porsches/RUFs, Mangusta and Ford 32 Roadster.

Not bugged at all, you just need to tune it a bit to get the best out if it. I'm no expert but I've got one that works pretty well. Probably should tweak it a bit since it sacrifices some handling for power, the balance isn't quite right yet - but certainly not "undrivable". :)

Last edited:
Bought two today and it's undrivable.

WTF
Well it's actually a really nice drive, and you should maybe adapt your driving to the car.

It's for example my son favorite car around Tokyo , and he just play GT not much just for pleasure of driving.

Just remember it's a 70's rally car that was a killer , and as the famous driver Sandro Munari said about it: 'If you find driving this car difficult, then your skills just aren't good enough!'

Give it more time to handle it and you will love it

Last edited:
It's hardly undrivable. It's pretty quick actually in certain places.

18d67b395a946-screenshotUrl.jpg

This past week's daily races had a Stratos event in the snow. It's a fantastic car. Balance and careful input seems key to drive it. I'm fast in the snow anyway but I've literally never driven this car in this game before this week.

I would offer that there are some wickedly fast cars in this game that in order to get any benefit from you need to unlearn what you know about the average and apply different driving styles to maximize.

Then it would appear it's a perfect simulation and not at all bugged.
Not quite perfect - the weight transfer is a bit overdone in GT7, though with even the little bit of talent I have, it's still driveable. That said, wait until he gets a load of the Porsche 930.

I can imagine the complaints about the undriveability of a Gran Turismo version of the Ford Anglia considering the real version is nigh undriveable at its extremely-low limits.

Then it would appear it's a perfect simulation and not at all bugged.
Let me just say that as much as I agree with this, and as much as Stratos deserves to drive poorly...oh boy, the previous physics model.

The NSX Type R was actually undrivable. Thank god they fixed that, I couldn't stand PD doing my precious dirty.

Last edited:
There are 3 cars in the game that are undrivable for me at ~700PP (for Le Mans) and the Stratos is one of 'em. The others are the Mangusta and the swapped Beetle. The problem is the same for all three cars - they're just not turning but going straight in every damn corner. I tried different suspension settings, different aero settings and I even tried putting ballast to the front of the cars but nothing seems to work¯\(ツ)

There are 3 cars in the game that are undrivable for me at ~700PP (for Le Mans) and the Stratos is one of 'em. The others are the Mangusta and the swapped Beetle. The problem is the same for all three cars - they're just not turning but going straight in every damn corner. I tried different suspension settings, different aero settings and I even tried putting ballast to the front of the cars but nothing seems to work¯\(ツ)
I've never driven it in anything but snow but if you keep the throttle on in corner lightly it will completely change the way it feels. I gained 2 seconds in my QT at LL (1:03.1) just by powering through corners.

Last edited:
Don’t forget the Miura. I’ve been trying (and failing) to find how in the hell you’re supposed to turn that thing for weeks now.
I have for some reason no problems with the Miuara(after some tuning and comitting severe heresy with adding a rear wing...) and like it a lot and I also like the Mangusta, although I admit that it is hard to handle in stock version, but I add the 1972 Alpine A110 to the mix of almost-undriveable cars...

Short wheelbase + rear heavy + soft suspension = difficult to manage weight transfer and tendency to have sudden snap oversteer. Although GT's overdone weight transfer physics might have made it worse than real life, so in some ways it is "bugged" as you say :P I've driven mods of it in Assetto and while it's quite twitchy, it doesn't try to kill you in every corner.

It's a well known trait of the car though, similar to old 911s and MR2s. But the Stratos isn't as well known or mass produced so people just aren't aware of its difficult to handle status. They just see it as a WRC legend and think it handles like a dream. Those who have enough skills to extract its potential can use its instability as agility, which makes it unbeatable on tarmac rallies back in the day.

Definitely one of the hardest cars to drive in the GT series for sure. Along with old Porsches/RUFs, Mangusta and Ford 32 Roadster.
Ford Roadster? Do you mean maxed out?
I ran it with mostly minor upgrades, always thought that car was surprisingly pleasant to drive for how old it was.

Bought two today and it's undrivable.

WTF
So this morning , i drive the stratos fully stock not even changing tyre. I went doing the sunday classic easy race. . Really fun easy drive for me i just really love it
I have for some reason no problems with the Miuara(after some tuning and comitting severe heresy with adding a rear wing...) and like it a lot and I also like the Mangusta, although I admit that it is hard to handle in stock version, but I add the 1972 Alpine A110 to the mix of almost-undriveable cars...
Took this one fully stock , i admit this one is really tricky , and i have to be patient weight transfer are done before bracking or accelerate.
So using the stratos stock is for me not a problem , for a110 '72 a bit of suspension setitng should help a lot but need to buy the part.
Thank you for this post give me a nice funny drive this morning.
Will now have to test stratos at Le Mans 😉

Last edited:
Ford Roadster? Do you mean maxed out?
I ran it with mostly minor upgrades, always thought that car was surprisingly pleasant to drive for how old it was.
No, even stock it was a handful. It's one of the few cars that came with CH tyres stock and it's more powerful than other cars from its era. Plus the old wallowy suspension doesn't help. Admittedly I drove it at the Nordschleife (probably the least suitable track for it) and this was before the last major physics change which toned down the weight transfer and oversteer a lot. If it's better now I definitely need to revisit it.

Fully tuned, it's a death trap. No questions there :lol:

Last edited:
Since I am playing Art Of Rally at the moment, I can tell you, that it is the same there with the Stratos...

While in theory this was one of the fastest rally car of it's time and it's class it is almost undrivable for me in this game as well...while I won rallies or at least stages in that game with all other available rally cars(didn't do any races with vans...) I cannot score anything countable with the Stratos(at leat not on normal difficulty level or above...)

No, even stock it was a handful. It's one of the few cars that came with CH tyres stock and it's more powerful than other cars from its era. Plus the old wallowy suspension doesn't help. Admittedly I drove it at the Nordschleife (probably the least suitable track for it) and this was before the last major physics change which toned down the weight transfer and oversteer a lot. If it's better now I definitely need to revisit it.

Fully tuned, it's a death trap. No questions there :lol:
I did the Master License at GV with it and threw it around Goodwood for a menu book, was super fun 👍
Give it a try again, definitely worth it. Found it to be one of the much better handling cars when I drove it.

Since I am playing Art Of Rally at the moment, I can tell you, that it is the same there with the Stratos...

While in theory this was one of the fastest rally car of it's time and it's class it is almost undrivable for me in this game as well...while I won rallies or at least stages in that game with all other available rally cars(didn't do any races with vans...) I cannot score anything countable with the Stratos(at leat not on normal difficulty level or above...)
Mr.P has an excellent tune for it.

It's different, not difficult. It's the only car I could win 1998 Sega Rally with. Over there I developed a technique of briefly releasing the accelerator to induce snap oversteer going into the turns. It wasn't as effective on pavement but it rules all three other tracks. On pavement it would just chirp the rear tires.

This is one of those cars that is best thrown into corners while simultaneously lining up the next bend and thinking about the one after that. Takes me about three laps of the Ring to get into the groove then it's all smiles after that :)

I would be thrilled if we could give it an engine swap from the Ferrari 458 GT4 race car! :D

Reading through this thread makes me think it can't be any worst the Genesis VGT 🤣. I know in the older GTs the Stratos was always a little bit high strung and finicky to me

Latest Posts

Back