Learning how to drift?

• Thread starter GazMac
  • 6 comments
Ireland
Ireland
ii-iboomer-ii
Hello, can anyone give me some advice on drifting, I usually drift in a RX7, WRX STI, a BMW or a skyline, although, everythime I have to go into a corner slow and drift round slowly, most of the time the car plows out into a wall or spins round, any help on this?

Hi. Sounds like your carrying to much speed if you are ploughing barriers. Stick to rwd. Just try exit a corner fast and controlling the oversteer first. Then once youve mastered a sideways exit slowly start putting the power down abit sooner. You will eventually enter the corners sideways too ;-) hope thats helped

Thanks, yea all the cars I use for drift are 500BHP and over, although for a sec there my GT5 wasn't loading, I near had a s**t attack haha

That's way too much power (Considering the tires you drift). Get a 240SX or a AE86, throw some Comfort Hard tires on it and build it to 350 to 400hp. That'll be good to learn on. Also use an easy track to drift on. I suggest Suzuka so you can get used to weight transfer, speed, angle and just common knowledge of staying in a drift.

That's way too much power (Considering the tires you drift). Get a 240SX or a AE86, throw some Comfort Hard tires on it and build it to 350 to 400hp. That'll be good to learn on. Also use an easy track to drift on. I suggest Suzuka so you can get used to weight transfer, speed, angle and just common knowledge of staying in a drift.

Good basic advice, but some points were off :P
Firstly, an 86 can't have 350-400 HP :P
Secondly, use the S section on High Speed ring, lots better.
Third, also get a decent differential setup. :)

Just practice, back to basics man. And leave the 4WD's at home :P

I agree with what both Caramel and Gonales have said. If you actually want to learn the art of drifting and car control, start off small. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...for learning, the best cars to use are either an Nissan S-Chassis, or Mazda FC RX7, IMHO. Head on over to the drift tunes depot , and look for TwinTurboCH's setups for either of those cars.

When I was first learning, I made the mistake of starting out in 500-700 HP monsters. I got the hang of drifting, but I didn't really understand what I was actually doing. The power became a crutch for me. After getting frustrated with my lack of progression, I forced myself to spend quality seat time in lower powered cars, TTCH's in particular. By doing this, I gained a lot of insight into the actual physics of drifting, and learned proper weight transfer and throttle control techniques....also, driving these cars is when tuning really started to click for me. Looking back, I wish I would have gone with the lower HP cars right from the start.

Hello, can anyone give me some advice on drifting, I usually drift in a RX7, WRX STI, a BMW or a skyline, although, everythime I have to go into a corner slow and drift round slowly, most of the time the car plows out into a wall or spins round, any help on this?

Heres a way that might make it easier for you. Try doing some circle work and then see if you can control how much the car spins around. Then try doing some slides on the straights, by turning and hitting the throttle then get off it. If you can do that then try doing the same thing but this time see if u can slide it and swing the car back to the other side(fishy style or munji). Then if you can do that try some hand brake entrys by turning in and hit the hand brake the car will slide and feather the throttle, if you feel the car is gonna slide out then stop using the throttle. Drifitng is heaps of fun! Theres heaps of ways to drift and everyone does it their own way. One more thing car wise use a s13 with an exhaust system, coilovers n hard compound comfort tyres. I hope this helps or i have just confused the hell out of you lol.

Back