Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Legendary Cars from Gran Turismo 2 Coming to Auction at Monterey Car Week

If you’re heading to Monterey Car Week later this summer, and have deep pockets, you’ll have the opportunity to bring all your Gran Turismo 2 fantasies to life with an extraordinary collection of cars from the short-lived Vector brand coming up for auction through RM Sotheby’s...

This would be an epic addition to GT7. Exceptional cars!
Kazunori Yamauchi attends Monterey Car Week, for the judging at Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance...

... and the rights to Vector are a little less complex these days. Even the ownership of that one W8 that Gerald Wiegert owned, MegaTech seized, and Lamborghini took in lieu of payment appears settled.

Imagine if he bought the W8 and sparked a return 🤯

I actual have met the purple vector and have a picture with it... I also have a rear end pic somewhere with a shot of the license plate... it used to live in oregon owned by a car dealer Ron Tonkin one of the greatest thrills in my lifetime was learning on that car as a teen

side note I have been asking for these cars to be added for YEARS...

Attachments

• 431062_377542648940595_1296289111_n.jpg
    431062_377542648940595_1296289111_n.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Someone please put a Venturi up for auction soon. Need some more GT7 DLC speculation on these forums as we don't get enough on the Internet. 😁

Last edited:
In fact quite a lot of the car was shared with the Diablo, including the chassis underneath

I've always seen this as the conventional wisdom for what Megatech did but I wonder how close the two actually are; not the least of which being because the engine is facing the opposite direction in the M12 as it is in the Diablo and is a substantially larger car as a result.

1721812752759.png

1721813266892.png

1721813795365.png

1721813941381.png

They certainly have the exact same suspension pieces (mounted differently) but the chassis doesn't look particularly similar beyond both being a tube frame design (which admittedly is completely different from the Elise-esque chassis that the W8 and WX-3 had).

the engine is facing the opposite direction in the M12 as it is in the Diablo
That is, as far as I'm aware, the only significant change - although I've no idea why it was implemented, as the entire engine/gearbox assembly was identical and it would require a different rear subframe.

The chassis is supposedly just a slightly lengthened version of the Diablo (there's an additional 50mm in the wheelbase; the majority of the length difference is the front overhang), and given that MegaTech apparently did virtually everything on the cheap other than hiring Peter Stevens to redraw the WX-3 to the legally required minimum differences after Wiegert sued to keep his designs (and cars) and won - which included sharing significant parts and the interior, removing all trace of the Vector aerospace lunacy - it's never really been a thing that's made me question it. I've also never been under either car, though it looks like the jacking points are identical (not that this is conclusive).

It was quite the bodge, and it won't even beat inflation if it sells for its lower estimate - even less so if you consider that's just the purchase price.

Id almost forgotten about these, the Vector was a favourite.
I'd say it was cars like this that drew me in. Right from the original incarnation it introduced rare cars and cars that were unknown to me at the time. So yes, the UK had Japanese cars way back from the 70s and beyond. Family run abouts and the odd 240Z, but I was unaware of Skylines, Stageas, Midgets and Autozam and the like. Throw in exotics like in the article, plus original tracks and I'd say that was what GT was all about.
I still enjoy the game but it feels that its not as "broad" as it once was.

Latest Posts

Back