Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,571 comments
That was quick of not-Lego to get a replica out that soon...

1798611932972477036.jpg

Painting and clearcoat is done, along with a couple hanging tabs on the back. This is where the baseplates will go, my math was mathing, I have 1/8" buffer of black all around so there shouldn't be any wood peeking through on the sides. And it'll help make sure I align all the baseplates straight. I'm still gonna put the pieces on each plate, then glue them all down. I guess I could also childproof it by gluing all the exterior tiles :lol:

1.png

Jerome

Last edited:
Painting and clearcoat is done, along with a couple hanging tabs on the back. This is where the baseplates will go, my math was mathing, I have 1/8" buffer of black all around so there shouldn't be any wood peeking through on the sides. And it'll help make sure I align all the baseplates straight. I'm still gonna put the pieces on each plate, then glue them all down. I guess I could also childproof it by gluing all the exterior tiles :lol:

View attachment 1364657

Jerome

Looks good, it’s a shame there isn’t a company who does 3D printed boards in any stud size, rather than you having to rely on smaller ones.

Best of luck. I have slight OCD when it comes to Lego 1x1 plates/tiles being straight so that would probably drive me insane. 😂
Oh I feel that! It's actually not bad at all, they typically fall into place eventually. Sometimes I have to adjust but its pretty minor.

Jerome

Almost half way done. My fingers and back hurt equally, haha.

1.png

I did decide to narrow the 'M' and the 'R' to be more consistent with the other letter width.

Jerome

Last edited:
Okay I surprised even myself. I did about 11,000 pieces in a 24 hours span. I'm sure I'll never beat that :lol: Another hour later and I finished. It's all glued down now and I'll hang it in our upstairs loft tomorrow.

1.png

Jerome

Last edited:
I think I've solved my space problem. I'm going to move all my Lego into the sort of rec room kind of thing in my basement. Now I have tons of space to add more bookshelves. Now I just have to wait until the black Billy bookcases come back in stock at Ikea. The downside is that I don't really go down there too often, so I won't get to see the Lego as much. I guess now I will have more reason to go down there and use the pool table.

Okay I surprised even myself. I did about 11,000 pieces in a 24 hours span. I'm sure I'll never beat that :lol: Another hour later and I finished. It's all glued down now and I'll hang it in our upstairs loft tomorrow.

View attachment 1365174

Jerome
Are you planning to do any more comic covers? Maybe Action Comics #1.

I think I've solved my space problem. I'm going to move all my Lego into the sort of rec room kind of thing in my basement. Now I have tons of space to add more bookshelves. Now I just have to wait until the black Billy bookcases come back in stock at Ikea. The downside is that I don't really go down there too often, so I won't get to see the Lego as much. I guess now I will have more reason to go down there and use the pool table.

Are you planning to do any more comic covers? Maybe Action Comics #1.
I've got the design for AC 1 all done, I'd just need to buy the pieces and wood panel (still have left over black paint and clear coat). The wife actually is surprised it turned out so well ('no offense' she said :lol:). So the wall I put it on is a little bare, so maybe in 2025. Then after that, I need to come up with a 3rd one.

The Detective Comics 27 would be the logical choice, but I haven't done the design for it yet. Some of the covers are brutal. I tried Amazing Spider-Man 300, but failed so hard at the blue circle the first attempt :lol:

My fav comic cover of all time is Amazing Spider-Man 316, but that might be too much Spidey (is that a thing?). I'm currently thinking of other 1st appearance covers that would be worthy in case the Batman one doesn't turn out well. New Mutants 98 (1st Deadpool) and Hulk 340 (classic McFarlane cover) would be epic, but they have too much detail (especially NM98). Maybe Hulk 181 (1st Wolverine), or Incredible Hulk 1 or maybe, Tales Of Suspense 39 (1st Iron Man).

EDIT:

I found a minecraft circle generator online that spit out a circle of made up of squares for me <3 Here's what I have for the ASM 300 cover, its much better than what I had initially. I may tweak the upper left area slightly but I can work with it:

1718506787005.png

Jerome

Last edited:
I'll be getting the Nascar too even though I am not a Nascar fan, I like the colors.

At this point I am glad I didn't collect a whole lot of the 6-wide Speed Champions because they look pretty funky next to the 8-wides. Hoping they take another stab at a classic Porsche 911 of some sort in 8-wide to go with the Countach and F40.

I'll be getting the Nascar too even though I am not a Nascar fan, I like the colors.

At this point I am glad I didn't collect a whole lot of the 6-wide Speed Champions because they look pretty funky next to the 8-wides. Hoping they take another stab at a classic Porsche 911 of some sort in 8-wide to go with the Countach and F40.
For Speed Champions I only really collect the race cars, because I like the liveries. I only get a select few of the road cars.

Sorry to be a 💩 but I'm disappointed by the F40, I mean I think they did the best job they could considering the medium and the scale but the roof height is too low so the windscreen looks too raked, the headlights look unfinished and the NACA ducts on the bonnet are comically oversized and too close together, though I do appreciate the fact that they're brick built.

I was hoping to upgrade my 6-wide but the F40 is such an important car to me that I kind of prefer the almost cartoon look of the 6-wide over the "so close but not quite" 8-wide.

Sorry to be a 💩 but I'm disappointed by the F40, I mean I think they did the best job they could considering the medium and the scale but the roof height is too low so the windscreen looks too raked, the headlights look unfinished and the NACA ducts on the bonnet are comically oversized and too close together, though I do appreciate the fact that they're brick built.

I was hoping to upgrade my 6-wide but the F40 is such an important car to me that I kind of prefer the almost cartoon look of the 6-wide over the "so close but not quite" 8-wide.
Yeah, I noticed some of these things as well after looking at it a bit more, but think overall it's "good enough". It's a tradeoff between accuracy and having as much brick-built as possible or using stickers like the NACA ducts were on the 6-wide.

Yeah, now that I look at it more closely the headlights don't look very good without a lens. After I build it, I might consider doing something custom with that. Maybe take a piece of clear plastic and cut a couple of lenses to stick over the gaping hole.

Its almost as bad as the technic 911 headlights 🤮 Nothing will ever top that as worst design flaw ever.....right?

Jerome

Its almost as bad as the technic 911 headlights 🤮 Nothing will ever top that as worst design flaw ever.....right?

Jerome
The 911 RSR? Funny, between the bad headlights and too high ride height even I passed on that set and I'm a massive 911 fan.

The 911 RSR? Funny, between the bad headlights and too high ride height even I passed on that set and I'm a massive 911 fan.
I didn't buy the set for the 911, rather the Stratos alternate build. One of the best alternate builds I've ever seen.

Jerome

I didn't buy the set for the 911, rather the Stratos alternate build. One of the best alternate builds I've ever seen.

Jerome
Sounds like you're talking about the orange GT3 RS or is there also a Stratos build for the RSR? Related news, I want to build the Stratos from the Lambo Sian set, that looks great, too.

Edit: I built this instead 😂
20210626_091826.jpg

The ride height could be fixed with a mod, which I did. Looks much better now.
Indeed, my brother did that since he does have the set. I agree it looks way better.

Last edited:
Back