Lola B12/80 Mazda IMSA Weathertech USC Prototype Mazda Motorsports #55 Jonathan Boramito 2016

• Thread starter JR98
  • 6 comments
United Kingdom
The UK
JASON_ROCKS1998
JR98 GAMING
From 2013, Mazda Racing fielded diesel-engined machines. Initially they raced a production inspired Mazda 6 in GrandAm and then a prototype in the United SportsCar Championship during 2014 and 2015 seasons. Sharing many of its major components with the production Skyactiv-D production engine, it proved very potent but ultimately unable to match the petrol engines of the rivals in top end performance. Be it reluctantly, this prompted Mazda to switch to a more conventional petrol engine for the 2016 season.

Developed together with longtime partner AER, the new engine is dubbed the MZ-2.0T and was based on the MZR-R used previously for he Mazda-engined prototypes. As the name suggests, it is a two-litre, turbocharged unit. The dry-sump four-cylinder is equipped with direct fuel-injection just like many of Mazda's production petrol engines. Fitted with the mandatory restrictor, it is rated at 570 bhp, which is a startling 285 bhp per litre. The MZ-2.0T is mated to an XTrac sourced, paddle-operated six-speed sequential gearbox.

The new drivetrain is installed in the back of the Multimatic-sourced LMP2-specification chassis. Originally a Lola design, the conventional Coupe features a carbon-fibre composite monocoque with double wishbones and push-rod actuated springs and dampers on all four corners. The chassis used are virtually identical to the ones used for the diesel engined machines, and the petrol Prototype was already tested alongside the diesel cars from the middle of the 2015 season.

The petrol-powered Mazda Prototypes made their public debut during the 'Roar before the 24' test early in January of 2016, where the cars were immediately competitive. The competition debut of the two cars will follow later in the month at the season opening Daytona 24 Hours.

Technical specifications
  • Body: Closed Cockpit Prototype Racing Car
  • Length: 2634 mm
  • Width: 1990 mm
  • Height: N/A
  • Weight: 900KG
  • Wheelbase: 2890 mm
  • Engine: Mazda "MZ-2.0T" 2.0 Straight 4
  • Aspiration: Turbocharged
  • Power: 570HP
  • Torque: N/A
  • Drive: Mid Engine Rear Wheel Drive
  • Transmission/Gearbox: 6 Speed Manual Sequential
Mazda-Prototype.jpg

Mazda-Prototype.jpg

Mazda-Prototype.jpg

MazdaRace2.jpg
wec-spa-2012-29-gulf-racing-middle-east-lola-b12-80-nissan-frederic-fatien-keiko-ihara-jea.jpg

Last edited:
It is, but with a proper title
Well...

Just looking at the entry list, the car is listed this season as Mazda Motorsports, rather than the 2015 entry of Speedsource - so I'm not sure it's accurate to have Speedsource in the title.

I'm also not sure that "LMP2" is appropriate either. That's not a category in the SCC - though I recall that there is an LMP2 berth at Le Mans available for the winners.

I have removed the "AER" part of the title, because you hyphenated it with the model name and since the engine is badged as a Mazda I figured I wouldn't edit it for format and leave it wonky for facts. Since I haven't done any research on the car though, I'll leave the rest to your discretion.

Well...

Just looking at the entry list, the car is listed this season as Mazda Motorsports, rather than the 2015 entry of Speedsource - so I'm not sure it's accurate to have Speedsource in the title.

I'm also not sure that "LMP2" is appropriate either. That's not a category in the SCC - though I recall that there is an LMP2 berth at Le Mans available for the winners.

I have removed the "AER" part of the title, because you hyphenated it with the model name and since the engine is badged as a Mazda I figured I wouldn't edit it for format and leave it wonky for facts. Since I haven't done any research on the car though, I'll leave the rest to your discretion.
Thanks, I've changed LMP2 to Prototype (as according to Wikipedia that is what class this car is in in the SCC) and changed team name to Mazda Motorsports.

There is no IMSA SCC.

It's IMSA Weathertech United Sportscar Championship.
Edited title to IMSA Weathertech USC. Not enough characters to include United Sportscar Championship in full.

Back