looking for ways/info for tuning cars (any class)

United States
new york
Hotspac5150
Been playing FH4 since I saw "Reji" play the game on youtube.... I was blown away and the reason that I got a Xbox One (used..Thank you GameStop).

looking ways to tune my cars (any class or size/type of vehicle)...

drifting using automatic transmissions..

More speed, tighter braking, aerodynamics, tire pressure, wet, dry,medium,hard,soft tyres.

Anything would be appreciated.

the best controller settings?

Thank you for your time...

Drifting with Automatic is a bit tricky to pull off, due to the game constantly changing gears when you're pegging the revs, causing you to bog down on power. Manual isn't really that hard to master.

As for tuning, use what you feel comfortable. I am not a high class tuner like DJS, but try not to go overboard on power. Instead, try to level everything so it can be as smooth and easy to drive.

I myself would work backwards: Start with the Tires and Handling putting on at least Sport parts. Then, put on whatever performance parts you like to max out on the class you're on. For example, if your car is at a low A class after Tires and Handling, mix up the engine parts until you are just at the top.

Transmission is a different story. Since most of my cars are AWD Swapped for Winter and Offroad races, stretch out the first gear a bit so you can have a faster launch.

I agree with GTvsF -- start with tires. Upgrading tires will often move you into a new class. Then work to maximize handling and power within that class. I use the ForzaTune 6 app on my iPhone for things like camber angles and spring rates. The app does not work perfectly with FH4, but its a good starting place.

OR you can just search and upload tunes. The one problem with the uploaded tunes though is that you cannot go in and tinker with them and learn from them. I do miss the tuning community that we had on the GT side where you could look at a couple of different tunes and take the parts that worked best for you.

Meant to mention that you can search for my tunes with gamer tag Fe2O3yx99. My more recent tunes are generally of a just enough to make a difference variety.

Last edited:
Building/tuning is often just a lot of work. E.g. I recently tuned the Ford Roadster to get #1 on the rivals leaderboard for Fortune's Descent B class. I had to try every single type of tyre to establish that rally tyres would work best for that track with that car at that PI. Stock tyres were only a tenth or two slower. Race tyres and sport tyres were more like a second slower.

For upgrades, if you really want to optimise it, you have to go through them all and note down the change in PI and the change in power and weight, so you can combine the best value upgrades that will hit the target PI while giving the best power and lowest weight combination. For some tracks, though, you might get a faster time with more power and more weight, for other tracks it might be faster to have less power and less weight. When it comes to trying to shave a tenth off rivals times, finding a different combination of upgrades that can add 1 or 2hp of power or save 1 or 2lb of weight can take that time off. For things like brakes, gearbox etc, you have to ask if the PI cost will be worth it, e.g. for cross country I often don't upgrade the brakes, because braking distance just isn't very important, and extra weight can help you to smash through obstacles. A gearbox upgrade can be more or less free for some cars, but very expensive for others.

Johnson gives away a lot of good information in this video:

It's not all perfect, but it gives you an idea of some settings that many people might otherwise not try, e.g. the 1/65 ARB settings that all top tuners are aware of (but they don't work for every car, it's just a way to get the most out of the physics and PI for many cars by upgrading the rear tyre width, which is cheap, then using the ARBs to transfer the grip to the front, as front tyre width upgrades cost PI).

Back