MacBook RAM + SSD Upgrade Help Needed

1241Penguin

Diamond Member
Premium
Canada
Canada
Hello GTPlanet!

I currently have a late-2007 white MacBook (normal one) and I'm looking to upgrade the RAM and hard disk to a solid state disk.

Naturally, I'm not too smart with the techy part of computers, so I would like some advice from you smart GTPlaneteers on what I need to do and what I should purchase for the upgrade.

I know that more RAM is better, but my specific laptop (after doing quite some research) can only handle 6 GB of RAM total. I only need 4 GB. I also found out that the RAM type (or whatever it's called) is "DDR2-667MHz PC2-5300, 200 pin, SODIMM". I think I've got this part covered as all laptop "DDR2-667MHz 200 pin" memory modules should work with the MacBook (or do they?). I would like confirmation that this one (clickie) (two of these, 2GB + 2GB = 4GB, since there are two slots in the MacBook) works with my laptop.

With regards to the SSD, one of the reasons I want this is because the normal HDD just seems to be too fragile, for me anyway, as I've managed to go through two in two years due to carelessness. I also want this simply because it's quicker. I know less about SSDs and HDDs than I do about RAM, so I would like suggestions on which ones I can buy (not online, and available in Canada). It's in my understanding that any SSD, with the dimensions of 2.5 inches x 9.5 mm in size should physically fit. I'm mainly concerned about whether my computer can actually support the SSD (something to do with TRIM, and also the SATA thing, but I also have little knowledge about it). Here is the one I'm currently proposing.

Random information I found out about my specific laptop:
- Serial-ATA (SATA) Version 1.0 (1.5 Gigabit) (what is this by the way?)
- Model identifier: 3,1

*I'll add more info as I find more

Here is Apple's full specifications for my laptop (mine is in the middle column):
http://support.apple.com/kb/SP12

PS: New computer/laptop is out of the question!

Feel free to ask any questions about my MacBook! Thanks for helping!

Last edited:
You will see an increase in disk access speeds with an SSD but will be capped at SATA 1 read/write speeds.

From what I gather you will need to have at least Snow Leopard for TRIM support (I am unsure of this because "I am a PC").

The Crucial M4 is a fantastic SSD (I have two of them in my desktop). It has the Marvell controller which is much more reliable than the SandForce.

It's really up to you if you want to spend a good amount of money on an SSD. But, I would advise buying an older model since you won't see the benefits of SATA 2/3.

Research prices between SATA 2/3 SSDs and go with the cheaper one.

Last edited:
Would you mind explaining what SATA is? And is there any way to make the MacBook compatible with a SATA 2 or 3?

Happily, I do have Snow Leopard, so I take it it's possible for TRIM support?

1241Penguin
Would you mind explaining what SATA is? And is there any way to make the MacBook compatible with a SATA 2 or 3?

Happily, I do have Snow Leopard, so I take it it's possible for TRIM support?

SATA is the serial connection between the motherboard and other components. With each iteration of SATA faster transfer speeds were obtained.

SATA connections are hardware dependent so there is no way for you to achieve SATA 2 or 3.

As far as I know Snow Leopard has TRIM support. Hopefully a knowledgable Mac user here can confirm.

SATA is the serial connection between the motherboard and other components. With each iteration of SATA faster transfer speeds were obtained.

SATA connections are hardware dependent so there is no way for you to achieve SATA 2 or 3.

As far as I know Snow Leopard has TRIM support. Hopefully a knowledgable Mac user here can confirm.
Ah, thank you for your help so far! Currently, I'm digging online to find any other MacBook with the same specs that have done the same type of upgrade.

Also, again, just to confirm, would the memory modules here work with my laptop? And would they be of any benefit?

Lastly, I have "Intel ICH8-M AHCI", if that means anything.

1241Penguin
Ah, thank you for your help so far! Currently, I'm digging online to find any other MacBook with the same specs that have done the same type of upgrade.

Also, again, just to confirm, would the memory modules here work with my laptop? And would they be of any benefit?

I cannot view that link (US here). As long as they meet the specs you provided in the first post then they are compatible (according to the listed specs from Apple).

You will see an increase in performance and along with a SSD it should feel like a new laptop.

Only way to get SATA2 is to use an SATA controller PCI card, but I do not think they make them in miniPCIe and then again even if they did apple are not the kind of people to allow you to upgrade anything.

Only way to get SATA2 is to use an SATA controller PCI card, but I do not think they make them in miniPCIe and then again even if they did apple are not the kind of people to allow you to upgrade anything.
I did a bit more looking around, and I'm getting conflicting results: some users claim that a SATA 3 on their late 2007 MacBook work, while some others said that they saw no improvements.

1241Penguin
I did a bit more looking around, and I'm getting conflicting results: some users claim that a SATA 3 on their late 2007 MacBook work, while some others said that they saw no improvements.

Won't work at SATA 3 speeds. No way, no how.

It will work in the sense that there is a SATA connection between the MOBO and the SATA 3 SSD; but, that connection is limited to SATA 1 speeds.

I would suggest a SSD that is a 128GB drive(about the same size as the original drive). I'd also highly, highly, suggest you do good research on SSD's. There has been bad news about SandForce chipsets and I've been through a bad SSD. It's a bad experience, it either works or it does not(as far as I'm aware, no method of data recovery on a dead SSD) or in my case a SSD chipset that slowly died. As far as I can tell the good brands that seem to be reliable based on reviews that I've read is Samsung and Intel. I've not used their SSD's though. Personally I'm waiting a year or two until SSD's get more stable before I buy another one.

Thank you all so far!

So, to conclude then, while a SATA 3 SSD will not be fully utilized by the MacBook to its full potential, it should still be faster than what I currently have.
I would suggest a SSD that is a 128GB drive(about the same size as the original drive). I'd also highly, highly, suggest you do good research on SSD's. There has been bad news about SandForce chipsets and I've been through a bad SSD. It's a bad experience, it either works or it does not(as far as I'm aware, no method of data recovery on a dead SSD) or in my case a SSD chipset that slowly died. As far as I can tell the good brands that seem to be reliable based on reviews that I've read is Samsung and Intel. I've not used their SSD's though. Personally I'm waiting a year or two until SSD's get more stable before I buy another one.
Did a bit of research on the Crucial M4. Didn't find any bad stories about it.

Just a quick update:

Well, just went to the store today only to find out that the stuff I need is sold online only. It even says so on the website. Whoops. :D

Nothing's going to happen until I can find a store that I can actually walk into and sells the stuff I need.

Back