March Madness Tournament 2006: The Road to Indianapolis (Men's Tournament)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 25 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
A season begins, and several different universities nad colleges prep for the biggest tests of their lives. Everyone is undefeated in November or December. Teams win. Teams lose. This accounts to about 320+ Division 1 teams all playing for a moment like this, when the NCAA committee looks at teams who didn't win and automatic bid and gives them their just rewards. Bubble teams learn their fate to see if they can still have an outside chance at a National Chammpionship. Thing is, only 65 can enter the tournament. The ones who did good, but not good enough, still can compete in the NIT. I'll do the NIT in another thread, but this is all about championship aspirations and the teams trying to cash in on the oppurtunity. And with that, we begin the men's championship for 2006 in America's fastest city, Indianapolis, IN. Who will play in the RCA Dome for all the marbles? It's time to begin...

THE ROAD TO INDIANAPOLIS!

MEN'S BRACKETS (Source: CBS)

! = #1 Seed

ATLANTA REGION: Greensboro, NC; Jakconsville, FL; Auburn Hills, MI; and Dallas, TX
Greensboro, NC - Thu/Sat

#1 Duke! vs. #16 Southern
#8 George Washington at #9 North Carolina-Wlimington

-Jacksonville, FL - Thu/Sat
#5 Syracuse vs. #15 Texas A&M
#4 Louisiana State vs. #13 Iona

-Dallas, TX - Fri/Sun
#2 Texas vs. #15 Pennsylvania
#7 California vs. #10 North Carolina State
-
Auburn Hills, MI - Fri/Sun
#3 Iowa vs. #14 Northwestern State
#6 West Virginia vs. #11 Southern Illinois

OAKLAND REGION: Dallas, TX; Auburn Hills, MI; San Diego, CA; and Salt Lake City, UT
--- Dallas, TX Fri/Sun ---
#1 Memphis! vs. #16 Oral Roberts
#8 Arkansas vs. #9 Bucknell

---Auburn Hills, MI Fri/Sun ---
#5 Pittsburgh vs. #12 Kent State
#4 Kansas vs. #13 Bradley

--- San Diego, CA Thu/Sat ---
#2 UCLA vs. #15 Belmont
#7 Marquette vs. #10 Alabama

---Salt Lake City, UT Thu/Sat---
#3 Gonzaga vs. #14 Xavier
#6 Indiana vs. #11 San Diego State

WASHINGTON D.C. REGION: Philadelphia, PA; San Diego, CA; Greensboro, NC; and Dayton, OH
--- Philadelphia, PA Fri/Sun ---
#1 Connecticut! vs. #16 Albany
#8 Kentucky vs. #9 Alabama-Birmingham

--- San Diego, CA Thu/Sat ---
#5 Washington vs. #12 Utah State
#4 Illinois vs. #13 Air Force

--- Greensboro, NC Thu/Sat ---
#2 Tennessee vs. #15 Winthrop
#7 Wichita State vs. #10 Seton Hall

--- Dayton, OH Fri/Sun ---
#3 North Carolina vs. #14 Murray State
#6 Michigan State vs. #11 George Mason

MINNEAPOLIS REGION:
--- Philadelphia, PA

OPENING DAY MATCH:
Monmouth vs. Hampton

#1 Villanova! vs. #16 (Monmouth/Hampton)
#8 Arizona vs. #9 Wisconsin

--- Salt Lake City, UT
#5 Nevada vs. #12 Montana
#4 Boston College vs. #13 Pacific

--- Dayton, OH Fri/Sun
#2 Ohio State vs. #15 Davidson
#7 Georgetown vs. #10 Northern Iowa

--- Jacksonville, FL
#3 Florida vs. #14 South Alabama
#6 Oklahoma vs. #11 Wisconsin-Milwaukee

+
NOT IN:

Cincinatti {Big East Conference}
Hofstra {Colonial Athletic Association}
Missouri State {Missouri Valley Conference}
Creighton {Missouri Valley Conference}
Florida State {Atlantic Coast Conference}
Michigan {Big Ten}
+

Well, the brackets are set. The fun will begin on Thursday. Now, my commentary about these results.

* I bet my buddy "FoolKiller" was probably partying when he heard the good news. That good news? Kentucky will be one of the 65 teams with a chance to win the National Championship. I'll tell you this. The Wildcats are looking at a good UAB team. UAB is perhaps the underdog in this deal. I can say this. If Kentucky struggled a lot as much as Syracause did, then Kentucky will have to stage quite a comeback like Syracuse. If you ask me, Kentucky will likely put behind losses to teams like Kansas, Alabama, Florida, and even Vanderbilt.

* Locally, I felt quite shocked as Houston didn't make the dance despite their good run. They haven't made the NCAA Tourney since 1992, and so the NIT may be their next best bet. Good luck, Cougars. You did good despite once being ranked, beating Arizona and LSU, and that sort of thing.

* The surprising element was Air Force being added. But then, they got a 24-6 record. Underrated as hell. It probably would have been nice to see Old Dominion or Virginia Commonwealth get in.

* The most bids were given by the Big East. The best Big East newcomer is Marquette. At best, I see them as Sweet Sixteen. At worst, 2 and Done. Syracuse needs a big boost if they want to advance their position in the tournament.

* The Bubble Team who had the most wins was Hofstra. And guess what. They didn't make it. The Homestead, NY boys picked up a 24-6 record, but still didn't get in. It's much like how Houston got 20 wins, but taking losses to teams like
Memphis, Virginia Commonwealth, UTEP, and stuff. Washington and UAB got a 24-6 record and made it. Perhaps Hofstra got shafted.

* The Missouri Valley Conference was rumored and talked about as having as many as 6 teams to make the tourney. If you thought about 6, they got 4 bids.

* One of the CBS analysts said that this may be the first Final Four whereas the top seeds in all four regions may be our Final Four for 2006.

* North Carolina-Wilmington did a beautiful job in the CAA. Now, they have a chance to make some noise against [whom some feel are completely overrated,] George Washington.

GTPlanet, I'm done coming up with scores and stuff. So let's speculate up until Thursday's action. I'd want to be able to make this thread the true March Madness thread, so I'd appreciate many of your comments to be in this thread where you can see the scores and talk about how the tournament is shaping up. I will modify my signature when I can. But if I don't modify it, assume that scores are in progress or hasn't been posted yet. Here is the way I will do games:

--- LEGEND ---

"Game A" AAA vs. BBB -or- AAA vs. BBB

<story or result> (winning score-losing score; <team> - Advances to <round>)

Keep in mind, I will spell out teams. So instead of acronyms like UAB or UCSB, I'll refer to them as California-Los Angeles or California-Santa Barbara for these examples. Only #1 seeds will have their names in CAPITAL LETTERS and an exclamation point (!). I will include results in stories by mentioning both teams' respective nicknames. So, here are sample scores to be used in the tournament (DO NOT ASSUME THIS WILL ACTUALLY HAPPEN!):

- Regular Game Sample -
"Title" Kentucky vs. UAB (First Round; Philadelphia, PA)
It's time for March Madness action from the City of Brotherly Love! But if you want to advance in the tournament, you must show no love (show good sportsmanship, of course) to advance in the tournament. The Wildcats of Kentucky are looking to roar its way into the second round... then the Sweet Sixteen... then the Final Four... and perhaps the NCAA Championship game. It isn't a given because they got to face their opposition, and they are no pushovers. Those no-pushovers were UAB. The Alabama-Birmingham Blazers want to burn up Kentucky's chances of getting ANYWHERE past Round One. But as the game went along, Kentucky won a close fight against UAB. Win or go home. So far, Kentucky's looking good. (81-80, 2OT; Kentucky - Advances to Second Round)

- Regular Game Sample with #1 Seed Involved -
"Title" Memphis! vs. Oral Roberts (First Round; Dallas, TX)
Let's kick things off from my home state of Texas, shall we? One travelled kind of far to Texas, and the other not too far. Memphis is just too damn good. They are intimidating at home, but have a big chance to advance very far. That's something Tiger fans can bank on. Memphis will have to jump high enough to pounce on Oral Roberts. Oral Roberts is no doubt the best team in the Mid-Continent Conference. They are so good because they are golden and can soar high in the sky. Hmm... reminds me of eagles. In fact, they are the Golden Eagles. But who was golden in Dallas? Who is good enough to battle their Second Round date? It looks like Memphis won hands down saying, "bring 'em on! We'll battle ANYONE for Sweet Sixteen b*tching rights! Memphis advances without fail. (74-50; MEMPHIS! - Advances to Second Round)

- (Two) Regular Game Upsets in Two Different Situations -
* Florida vs. South Alabama
...as this game played out, Florida had broken hearts as they fell to a hard-charging South Alabama unit. The Jaguars put the Gators' hopes of NCAA Title admiration into distinction. (56-55; South Alabama) *upset!*

* Duke! vs. Southern
...Redick and company fell pretty damn hard, and pretty damn bad to Southern. What's that expression? Oh, yeah... "the bigger they are, the harder they fall." Who says earthquakes don't happen in Greensboro, NC? (66-65, OT; Southern) *#1 Seed Upset!*

Well, begin speculation. Instead of creating seperate posts, I'll put ALL Round action in one post, and continually update posts. So, let's do March Madness!

I love your samples, especially the Kentucky and Duke outcomes. If that happened I would dance for joy and take a week off work so I could drink massively large quantities.

Whiel I was happy to see Kentucky get in I was happy to see that when I argued with my friend (a Louisville fan) that Kentucky would be a 8 or 9 seed, as opposed to a 12 seed, that I was right as well as Louisville only getting a Not Invited Tournament offer. The number of Louisville fans trying to make it sound good by being a #1 seed is cracking me up. "I'm proud of them boys (southern drawl)," is what I kept hearing on the radio this morning. That is a death sentence at Kentucky.

As for Kentucky playing UAB, I give them a 60% chance of winning. It depends on which Kentucky team comes out. This is a Kentucky team that can beat almost anybody but has the ability to lose to almost anybody too.

That said, I am thinking Kentucy goes out in round 2 against UConn. :(

Now I will have one bracket with Kentucky winning. I do every year. But the smart money is not there.

I am thinking either a Nova Duke championship or a UConn Duke championship. I am praying for a Duke embarrasing upset.

No, I will never give up hating Duke, at least not until Coach K is gone.

I'll discuss more serious tournament action as I play with my brackets, get out the pencils. An ink pen is too permanent for this.

GTPlanet, I said that 65 teams will have a shot at championship glory. I didn't lie. One team will advance, the other will be the postseason's first casualty. Love your college basketball? Then let the madness begin!

--- DIVISION 1 PLAY-IN GAME ---

"Whose Tournament is it Anyway?"
Monmouth (Northeast Conference champion)
vs.
Hampton (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference champion)

Dayton, OH

(Winner Plays Villanova Friday in Philadelphia, PA)

Who said that March Madness begins on Thursday? It begins tonight, players! It begins as Monmouth College(?) and Hampton University get their shine on. Nobody wants to be a jive turkey. Nobody wants to be the team who gets their asses handed to early and sent home. Bigtime conference fans will likely see Villanova crush the winner of this game like Connecticut did to Texas Southern WAY early in the season. The winner of this game will be one of the 64 who will make the show and have a chance to win it all. But it's just like Speed Channel show "Pinks," lose the race, lose your ride. The NCAA's version is, "lose the game, lose your chance at glory." And now, let's talk hoops. Amid all the speculation, the analysis, the penciling of dozens of brackets, and all the Pontiac commercials showing off their crappy new vehicles nobody wants to buy or care about... Monmouth wants into the championship. And the Hawks want it bad, because if they lose, they're gone. Monmouth picked up a HUGE win in their championship game whereas Fairleigh Dickinson stumbled in a close game. The FDU crowd saw Monmouth win it all and head into the dance. The football team for Hampton University knows this very well, as their football team went unbeaten in the regular season... all to fall in the 1-AA playoffs. Hampton represents the MEAC conference, one of two or three known Div. 1 conferences with HBCUs (Historically-Black Colleges and Universities), and Hampton is one of them. HBCUs are best known for "Battle of the Band" contests, especially in football. They know how to get down. They just have music to shake your booty with, and certainly Hampton knows about booty because they are Pirates looking to advance and make sweet music against the competition. The game was on ESPN with Steve Lavin and the wonderful Brent Musburger with the call. There wasn't too much to call as Monmouth let it all hang out over Hampton.

So who will advance to the field of 64 by way of winning the Play-In Game? The score:

Monmouth - 71 (will play Villanova on Friday; first NEC team to win an NCAA Tournament game)
Hampton - 49

JohnBM01
GTPlanet, I said that 65 teams will have a shot at championship glory. I didn't lie. One team will advance, the other will be the postseason's first casualty.

So who will advance to the field of 64 by way of winning the Play-In Game?
Oh, you're being nice. The NCAA likes to say all 65 teams are in the tournament. They have even stopped calling it a play-in game, and asked sportscasters to do the same.

I prefer to be more harsh in how I describe it. It is a play-in game and it is a tournament of 64. If you lose the play-in game you missed out on the tournament and the NIT. Just think, if you had lost your conference championship game you might still have a chance to play basketball this year.

I can't wait for Pitt to play tonight, I'm not too worried about beating Kent State, but taking on Kansas next round is going to be a tough task.

My other favorite team, Syracuse is already out :( Gerry Macnamera was hurt, played a bad game, and they paid for it. It really shows how important he is to that team, they're helpless without him.

Max Powers
I can't wait for Pitt to play tonight, I'm not too worried about beating Kent State, but taking on Kansas next round is going to be a tough task.
At least you don't have U-Conn next round. :nervous:

What's up, GTPlanet? It's March Madness just the way you like it. Monmouth is part of the remaining 64. But as we begin First Round scores, remember that this is called "The Big Dance" for a reason. I normally don't believe in violence, especially not in a happy situation like a dance or a prom. But then, this is like being at the prom as 64 men and 64 women are all dancing on the floor. During the time, the ones who don't do well are out of the tournament. You don't win, you don't advance. No questions asked. So...

LET'S DO MARCH MADNESS!

This is some action among all the different regions. It is in the midst of close games, heavyweight fights, and commercials with crappy and ugly Pontiacs (except the Solstice and recently-and-sadly-sacked GTO). One university is going to get smoe serious paper from Pontiac, so that's nothing ugly for the school who has the best performance, game changing performance, or something like that. Anyhow, let's talk about hoops, because that's what you came to see, right players? Then let's do the damn thing!

--- WASHINGTON D.C. REGION, FIRST ROUND ---
#10 Seton Hall vs. #7 Wichita State (Greensboro, NC)
Let's begin as a Big East unit takes on a Missouri Valley team. This was a literal shocker as Wichita State's Shockers gave Seton Hall's Pirates plenty to be worried about. This is the first Shocker tourney win in over 25 years. (86-66, Wichita State)

#15 Winthrop vs. #2 Tennessee (Greensboro, NC - winner meets Wichita State in Second Round)
Two teams are ready for action, both from the southeast. Let's stay in Greensboro, NC as Tennessee meets Winthrop. Winthrop University is a member of the Big South conference. Something you may or may not know is that I usually read about certain schools online. The more popular basketball schools are some of America's Jesuit Colleges and Universities, or some other religious-type university or college (like St. John's or St. Joseph's). Winthrop University can be found in Rock Hill, SC. So you can imagine that Winthrop didn't have to travel very far to get into its next door neighbor, North Carolina. They could have drove to NC or flown to NC. The Eagles need no airport because they can fly their wings high and soar into the air. They'll have to pull off a full team effort against a team that knows full team efforts very well. The University of Tennessee is based on Knoxville, TN. Tennessee is best known for their football team as Tennessee fans fill up the 100,000+ seats of Neyland Stadium where it's tough to play. It's sad that their football team suffered their first losing season in a long while, but the Volunteer basketball team certainly don't know what it's like to lose. Winthrop can change that where it matters most- the NCAA Tournament. The game was 36-34 in favor of Tennessee at the half. No #15 team has ever upset a #2 seed since Hampton upset Iowa State back in 2001. Tennessee was on the verge of being upset, but a clutch [long] point bucket gave Tennessee a small cushion with 0.9 seconds left in the second half. Winthrop had a chance, but lost a heartbreaker. (63-61; Tennessee)

[COLOR="Blue]#11 Wisconsin-Milwaukee vs. #6 Oklahoma
I normally thought Oklahoma was overrated... in football. I thought Oklahoma wasn't all that good in basketball. The big power of college hoops in the Big XII is Kansas. You'd be surprised to know how good Oklahoma is in basketball. This is a compliment I hope the Sooners can appreciate. As a #6 seed, they meet a team I have a lot of respect for, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. While Wisconsin is a great team, they aren't the only talent among the the university of Wisconsin system. Wisconsin-Milwaukee is one of two powers in Milwaukee. Marquette will be in action, but the Wisconsin-Miluwakee Panthers are reluctant to take on SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, ANYTIME. Gotta love that, GTP. Well, if you had Oklahoma winning this game in your brackets... you're probably pulling your hair out because Wisconsin-Milwaukee pulled off a win I (even though I like Wisconsin-Milwaukee) didn't think would happen. (82-74; Wisconsin-Milwaukee) *upset!*[/COLOR]

* #12 Utah State vs, #5 Washington (San Diego, CA)
The Washington Huskies acted like good little doggies in beating Utah State in somewhat of a blowout. (75-61; Washington)

* Air Force vs. Illinois
Still scratching your head over Air Force getting in? Well, worry no more about Air Force because the Fighting Illini made Air Force warm up the planes back to Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs hate to see their Falcons lose. (78-69; Illinois)

--- MINNEAPOLIS REGION, FIRST ROUND ---
"Hit the Ground Running" #13 Pacific vs. #4 Boston College (Salt Lake City, UT)
Now we have a West-Meets-East battle as Pacific meets Atlantic. In fact, the University of the Pacific meets ACC first-timer Boston College. First, UOP. The University of the Pacific is situated in northern California. This Stockton, CA-based university is a beautiful place to attend school and enjoy what Northern California has to offer. They also have some cats who know how to play basketball. Pacific doesn't have a football team anymore, but they are hard-hitting. It's just what you expect Tigers can do on the basketball court. They'll have to prove their worth against some bad, bad boys. Chestnut Hill is a city in Massachusetts. And if you know your college football, what image does Chestnut Hill paint for you? That's right- Boston College. This basketball team doesn't have Doug Flutie, but it does have five starting Eagles ready to make a postseason statement. Eagles and Tigers in Salt Lake City. Let's do this. The game ended 65-65 in regulation, so what do you do? Regulation solved nothing, so bring on Overtime! In Overtime, Pacific knocks down two threes giving Boston College plenty of chest pains. In fact, this Overtime was mostly a three-point clinic. Who wanted it more? Well, since no one wanted it more, Double Overtime was called. Afterwards, Boston College won on a holeshot over Pacific, sending the Tigers back to the University of the Pacific. If I was a student of U. of the P., I would (88-76, 2OT; Boston College)

#14 South Alabama vs. #3 Florida
Let us check into this matchup between two schools in the southeastern United States. Mobile, AL's University of South Alabama takes on the Gainesville, FL's University of Florida. If you can dig that, you WILL dig that these two can play basketball. First, South Alabama. The University of South Alabama (USA)
At one point, people had to investigate the basketball rim after some wicked slams by Florida. Hell, I can remember at my old high school that someone slammed the ball so hard that the glass broke!
31-25, Florida at half. Speaking of breaks, that cracking sound you heard was the sound of South Alabama's hearts breaking as they lost by a quarter and a penny to Florida
(76-50; Florida)

* #12 Montana vs. #5 Nevada (Salt Lake City, UT)
After the Boston College/Pacific match, Salt Lake City must catch its breath after a Double Overtime thriller. No thrills for the Reno, Nevada's Wolfpack (U. of Nevada), because I had them winning over Montana. Unfortunately, the Montana Grizzlies knocked off a great team. (87-79; Montana)

--- OAKLAND REGION, FIRST ROUND ---
* #?? Alabama vs. #?? Marquette (San Diego, CA)
Before this game began, there was a bomb scare in San Diego. So they had to empty the building in order for this game to start later in the day. A suspicious container was found, but all was well as the ATF made things safe. So we are only miles away from the Mexican border and a little further to Tijuana, Mexico. The Tuscaloosa boys are Alabama. I know Alabama is a good team, but I thought they were marginally better in football. It's Roll Tide Roll as Alabama's ready to give the San Diego weathermen some troubles. Often, you won't hear of Crimson Tides crashing all over San Diego's shores, but they are about to happen. No one expects Crimson Tides to impact college sports, but they happen. Marquette was caught at a bad time while migrating south. Marquette hasn't been National Champs since 1977(?) when they used to be the Marquette Warriors. Now, they are Golden Eagles looking for some golden hardware. A nickel was the spread, but Alabama shut down Marquette's stellar season early. This is an NBA-style score for you all. This is a sad break for Marquette. I really wanted them to go far as they've been the best of the Big East newcomers. (90-85; Alabama) *seed upset!*

"Crusin' for Bruin" Belmont vs. UCLA (San Diego, CA)
It was 35-23 for UCLA at the half. UCLA just kept on pounding for this blowout victory. The Bruins will have their dreams crushed as UCLA's Bruins advance. (78-44; California-Los Angeles)

* Xavier vs. Gonzaga (Salt Lake City, UT)
The Xavier Musketeers were ready to disgrace the holy hell out of Gonzaga, but a Bulldog comeback got the job done for Gonzaga. (79-75; Gonzaga)

* San Diego State vs. Indiana (Salt Lake City, UT)
Leave it to the Indiana Hoosiers to put the San Diego State Aztecs to extinction. San Diego State had an upset brewing. (87-83; Indiana)

ATLANTA REGION, FIRST ROUND
* #1 Duke vs, #16 Southern (Greensboro, NC)
The Southern Jaguars kept the game close, but ran out of gas trying to upset Coach K's Blue Devils. (74-50; Duke)

* #13 Iona vs. #4 LSU (Jacksonville, FL)
This is the matter of Iona College and Louisiana State University. First, let's meet Iona College. Iona College is based in New Rochelle, NY. They are the champions of the Metro-Atlantic Athletic Conference, or MAAC for short (please spell it out because saying it sounds like "MAC," which thus makes it hard for me to determine whether it's the Mid-American Conference, or the Metro-Atlantic Athletic Conference). Just a day short of St. Patrick's Day, the Gaels are looking to be lucky as well as good in this matchup. The SEC is undefeated so far, so LSU has to keep things up so that the SEC doesn't take loss #1 early. LSU has a much better women's team, though I mean no disrespect to the men's team. The LSU Tigers need some wins to go some point at or beyond the Sweet Sixteen. Can they do it? They got Iona first. Iona kept it close and even led LSU... but LSU was too much.
(80-64; Louisiana State)

* North Carolina-Wilmington vs. George Washington (Greensboro, NC)
I wanted North Carolina-Wilmington's Seahawks to win because they have had a great year. Unfortunately, George Washington's Colonials denied any upset possibilities. (88-85, OT; George Washington)

* #12 Texas A&M vs. #5 Syracuse (Jacksonville, FL)
Can Syracuse's magic come true again? The Texas A&M Aggies were proud to get into the tournament, giving Orange fans plenty of stomach problems with this huge win. (66-58; Texas A&M)

THURSDAY'S ELIMINATIONS:
---ATLANTA---
Southern
Iona
North Carolina-Wilmington
Syracuse

---MINNEAPOLIS---
Oklahoma
Pacific
South Alabama
Nevada

---OAKLAND---
Marquette
Belmont
Xavier
San Diego State

---WASHINGTON, D.C.---
Seton Hall
Utah State
Winthrop
Air Force

Sorry for the late scores. Coming up next, more First Round action. Teams include Georgetown, West Virginia, Villanova in Pittsburgh, and Kentucky. More score to come!

Wow, Kent State just got smoked, the game was even more of a blowout than the score indicated too. I want to see what they're saying on ESPN now, this morning 2 of the 3 guys (Everyone but Dickie V) was predicting Kent State to win, morons. Aaron Gray had another terrific game, he was sucking up rebounds like nobodys business, and was perfect on free throws. I really hope he doesn't declare for the draft next year, Pitt really needs him back in his senior year. I'm curious to see if he can play that well against Sasha Kahn, Kansas's equally good center.

Now I just have to hope that Bradley can somehow upset Kansas, they're leading right now, but only by 2 points, and it's only 5 minutes into the game so who knows.

P.S. It's probably because I live up north, but I don't understand why everybody hates JJ Redick so much. Is it because he plays for Duke, or is it him?

Zrow
Fun activity: Type in "JJ Redick" into images.google.com and check out the very first picture.

👍
:lol: Well im kinda late posting here but i'll tell u how i filled out my bracket.

Final Four:
Duke, Gonzaga, BC, Ucon

I predicted before that UNC was gonna make the Final four :lol:

Dont know the rest, too lazy :)

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, all scores will be in green. So don't go pinching a brother, alright? Even I'm wearing something green. May be in my sleeping clothes, but have green boxers, so don't pinch me for not wearing green. You dig? Cool.

If this were the regular season, I'd do Friday Appetizers. But this isn't the regular season, so I'm going to work hard to impress all the ones looking at my scores. It's Friday hoops, the way you like it. After today, a total of 33 teams will be eliminated. Sixteen went packing yesterday, and the Play-In game runner-up went home early. Now, 16 others will join while the hopes of many other b-ballin' teams will advance. Who will advance? Who will pack up? We start with the Minneapolis Bracket. The "!" indicates top seeds.

---MINNEAPOLIS REGION, FIRST ROUND---
* Wisconsin vs. Arizona
This is Madison, WI's University of Wisconsin vs. Tuscon, AZ's University of Arizona. One has a great all-around sports program, the other best known for basketball. Upset losses among them include North Dakota State and Houston respectively. As this game went along, the Wisconsin Badgers are usually a great basketball talent. Arizona's Wildcats were better... MUCH better. (94-75; Arizona)

* Monmouth vs. Villanova! (Philadelphia, PA - winner faces Arizona)
Monmouth College and Villanova University are ready to square off. The Northeast Conference will match up against the Big East's Villanova. Monmouth College won their play-in game against Hampton, so they have the chance to go as far as they want to. Hawks can soar into the air very high, but it won't mean much of anything if you can't advance to the championship. Villanova University is actually in Villanova, PA, but it's around the Philadelphia area. It's much like how Northwestern is in the greater Chicago area, but it's in Evanston, IL unlike DePaul and Chicago State. The Villanova Wildcats are led by the handsome and young Jay Wright. Villanova also has Ray Allen coming back out after an eye doctor cleared him to play. They may need him to prevent an upset of the kitties. This game was 27-16; Villanova at the half. It was close, but an reoccuring theme happened- keep it close wasn't enough. This was basically a home game for Villanova. Maybe even a glorified home game. (58-45; VILLANOVA!)

#10 Northern Iowa vs. Georgetown (Dayton, OH)
Northern Iowa University is solid in almost any sport they play. They have a great football team, and they'll take that success to basketball as well. I believe the Athlon Sports' College Basketball Preview had Northern Iowa as a Sweet Sixteen, maybe even Elite Eight or Final Four. Regardless, the Panthers are on the prowl. A bunch of doggies, however, are also ready to pounce. That would be Georgetown University, thank you very much. Let the Hoyas show you how basketball is played. And for the most part, Georgetown did just that as Northern Iowa had a chance to advance to new heights, but failed to capitalize against Georgetown. (54-49; Georgetown)

* Ohio State vs. Davidson (Dayton, OH)
Even though they are from Columbus, Ohio State had somewhat of a home game in Dayton. The Buckeyes are on the rise for both genders. Can Ohio State basketball surpass Ohio State football? The win over the Wildcats of Davidson College is a start. (70-62; Ohio State)

---OAKLAND REGION, FIRST ROUND---
* Oral Roberts vs. Memphis! (Dallas, TX)
It was 51-39 at the half for Memphis as Oral Roberts put them on the ropes. But Memphis had plenty of haymakers as Oral Roberts kissed the canvas, down for the count. And your winner by Technical Knockout, MEMPHIS! (94-78; Memphis!)

"...And The Home of the Braves" #13 Bradley vs. #4 Kansas (Auburn Hills, MI)
The Missouri Valley meets the Big XII in this match. First off, let's meet the school I'm more used to. That would be Kansas University, or the University of Kansas. Regardless, they are the birdies from Lawrence, KS. Their football team surprisingly had a winning season, beating Houston in the 2005 Fort Worth Bowl. Better known for basketball and
Rock... Chalk... Jayhawk... KU!" in Allen Fieldhouse, the Kansas Jayhawks are looking to overrate underrated Bradley. If you follow NCAA news, you know that the use of defamatory or offensive nicknames are going to be banned for tournament play. This includes Bradley University. The Bradley Braves have enough going for them to do well in the postseason. Can Bradley pick up a BIG win in their region? Around 14:29 in the second, #13 Bradley was leading 49-36. Kansas was fighting back. With thirty seconds left, Bradley led about 73-67. Got to love this CBS March Madness deal. Gives you the score to three extra games. The #4 boys are going down in flames as Bradley's looking pretty brave against the Jayhawks. Inside ten seconds left, Bradley's lead was cut to 5 as it was a 75-70 spread. Kansas struggled a lot this season, but highly fortunate to make the dance. Afterwards, Kansas' slick moves weren't enough to keep Kansas in the dance. (77-73; Bradley)

* Kent State vs. Pittsburgh (Auburn Hills, MI)
Before we begin this game, Kent is not short for Kentucky. There's nothing Kentucky about Kent State. There probably isn't a known Kentucky State University or college. There's UK, Western Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, and then Northern Kentucky in the Division 2's Great Lakes Valley Conference along with Kentucky Weslayan. Kent State is in a city called Kent, OH. They are a MAC-level school who competes in most major and minor NCAA sports programs. I usually say the MAC is the most underrated Division 1-A football conference. The MAC is almost nonexistant in basketball, because the most underrated in D1 college hoops is the Missouri Valley Conference. Regardless, the Golden Flashes have a pretty popular alum playing in the NFL (was it Onterrio Gates? Onterrio Smith? I forget his name). How can a Golden Flash go from a good basketball player to a considerably good offensive back? No need introducing Pittsburgh, because they know football AND basketball. Pittsburgh has two very nice facilities. They have Hines Field for their football team (which also hosts Pittsburgh Steeler games) and not to mention their wonderful basketball arena as well. Some of the basketball suites are just behind the close seats. Pittsburgh is playing in the tournament hoping not to be Iowa or Oklahoma. The Panthers have struggled in the regular season, once being unbeaten. That is, until many teams were dropping like flies to a black light. Remember that Saturday in which Duke, Florida, and Pittsburgh all lost to Georgetown, Tennessee, and St. John's respectively? Yeah, THAT upset. Any upset today? Find out along with me. Halftime saw Pittsburgh smashing Kent State 40-27. The boys from O-hi-o are probably ready to go O-bye-o with this Panther pouncing. And they did. Laughing all the way to the bank. (79-64; Pittsburgh)

* Bucknell vs. Arkansas (Dallas, TX)
Patriot League champions Bucknell turned the Arkansas Razorbacks into to freshly-cooked bacon. I'm sure the Bison will feast on cooked Razorback bacon tomorrow morning! Anyone want seconds? (59-55; Bucknell)

---WASHINGTON, D.C. REGION, FIRST ROUND---
* Albany vs. Connecticut! (Philadelphia, PA)
Albany were ready to give Connecticut a bigtime pounding headache, but Connecticut pulled away late. This would have been a hellacious upset, but kicked butt late. Credit Albany for almost ripping the upset. If you had UConn winning this match, your bracket is clean. If you had it in a blowout, you were wrong. Oh, wait... it WAS a blowout! (72-59; Connecticut!)

* Murray State vs. North Carolina
I take back my rant against horse racing in Kentucky. I mean no harm. You got Murray State, and they got North Carolina. Let's begin with the Murray State boys. Murray State University is in Murray, KY. In some sports, they are called the Thoroughbreds, but in most other sports, they are a nickname I can appreciate as a motorsports fan- the Racers. If the Racer tag is true, they are a Porsche 911 RSR... trying to take on the Audi R8 (or maybe Audi R10)- North Carolina. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the University of North Carolina has great football and basketball talent. While their football team has been on the rise in recent years, North Carolina's basketball team is hardly ever on any rise. North Carolina and their hated rivals Duke are among two of the most solid teams in American college basketball. The University of North Carolina can be found in Chapel Hill, NC. The University of North Carolina system has all sorts of schools like North Carolina-Asheville, North Carolina-Charlotte, North Carolina-Greensboro, North Carolina-Wilmington, North Carolina-Pembroke, North Carolina Central, all among others. The Tar Heels are 1/2 of the pride and spirit of basketball in the state of North Carolina. Can the defending champions go for two straight? Their trail to two-straight begins tonight as they are easily favorites to be in the Final Four. But let's see if your bracket is going to get ruffled up a little. With 16 seconds left in the game, UNC lead 67-65 after Murray State were pinning down the Defending National Champions. After two quick free throws, North Carolina edged out the Racers. I guess you could say that the Murray State Racers had the inside line, but North Carolina outpowered Murray State at the line. It wasn't a photo finish, but more of a holeshot. (69-65; North Carolina!)

"Cats Gone Wild" Kencutky at UAB (Winner meets Connecticut on Sunday)
Some love Kentucky, some hate Kentucky. Some think Kentucky was very fortunate to get in, some think Kentucky should have been replaced by a quality team like Savannah State (since Air Force got into this tournament). Regardless, I respect Kentucky and hope they go as far as humanly possible for my good buddy FoolKiller. But they have UAB to worry about. Or will Kentucky have to worry. I don't know as much as I would like about Lexington, KY, but it's the city where you can find UK. That is, the University of Kentucky. Not to be confused with our friends in the United Kingdom. Don't be confused that these are a bunch of Wildcats which are very friendly and caring... until you hit the basketball court in the opposing team's colors. Rumor has it that these Wildcats can become very vicious when fooled around. NOBODY fools around with Kentucky regardless of how their season has come up to this point. If green is a lucky color, UAB has a huge advantage in upsetting Kentucky. If you're going to rip an upset, part of it is good game play. The less than 5%? it's called luck. The last big win UAB ripped was to a team called... Memphis. If they can beat Memphis, imagine what the UAB Blazers are capable of doing to Kentucky. It's a scary thought. They are no mid-major school. They may be from Conference USA, but it doesn't mean they can't potentially be more than 1 and done. Get your brackets out, because we're going to find out who's bracket is clean, and which needs some cleaning up. UAB led by a long range bomb (three) at the half, 33-30. Reason for concern? Well, more of "get better before we have to get out of the tourney." I'm sure that's what a mad-as-hell Tubby Smith had to say to his Kentucky wild kittens. Two words- close fight. Fifty-one seconds left, and Kentucky lead 65-61. CBS swtiched over to this game after I've seen Texas and Bradley. Afterwards, I seen Patrick Sparks at the line with 29.5 seconds left... cashing in two free pointers. Sparks was spark-ling on the free throw line in making sure UAB didn't have a late surge. Then, Kentucky in the double bonus as the game was 68-64, Kentucky. They get one out of two, and just enough to win where it mattered most. In the trenches. You don't need to be a football player to know what "in the trenches" is all about. Cats win, and they meet some doggies from Connecticut as Spring Break will end. They missed only four free throws. Perry got 25 points and 7 assists. While three rebounds short of a double-double, still a great performance. (69-64; Kentucky)

* George Mason vs. Michigan State
The only Georges we've heard have all advanced so far. Georgetown is a winner along with George Washington last night. Will there be three Georges advancing to the Second Round? An underrated "George" school is George Mason. Do you know the big difference between George Mason and the other two Georges? George Mason is not based in Washington, D.C. This Virginia school is based in Fairfax, VA. George Mason is more than fair because the Patriots can play basketball with the best of them. They may be missing their big man because of a low blow by a GM player in the CAA tournament. Michigan State hasn't been National Champions in men's hoops since 2000. I really got into sports around 2002, so this was before my time. I, of course, started with college football. And that's something Michigan State can do well as well. Michigan State is in East Lansing, MI. MSU absolutely HATES Michigan, and probably glad they were in the NIT. Michigan State had a good and bad moment in Hawaii. They had that Triple Overtime game in the Maui Invitational, but then had that upset loss to Hawaii. Michigan State held their ground regardless because Spartans don't quit. Can they avoid getting upset by George Mason? We'll find out soon now, eh? To start, Michigan State put up a quick two with about, uh... five seconds off the clock. Michigan State has some footballers playing hoops. George Mason has... oh wait. They don't have a football team. Committed to hoops. 33-30 for George Mason at the half. As the game progressed, George Mason was HORRIBLE at the free throws, despite the fact that Michigan State was about to get upset real bad. As this game happened, I think George Mason is lucky to win this game, only because the horrid free throw shooting by George Mason and poor shot selection by Michigan State while down. Regardless, Iowa goes down, and now Michigan State. Two potential Sweet 16+ teams from the Big Ten go down in flames. George Mason pulls an upset. Probably a BIG one. It may not be a #16 beating a #1, but this is bad enough.

---ATLANTA REGION, FIRST ROUND---
"Build a Champion Workshop" #10 North Carolina State vs. #7 California
One sports red, the other sports blue. Who's better? North Carolina State has great Tournament memories. They upset my hometown's Phi Slamma Jamma in the 1980s, the Houston Cougars. NC State has great poise and control, something Wolfpack players need to have down the stretch to win games. They will meet the blue and gold of California. I love the color blue to be honest. While North Carolina State is in Raleigh, NC, the University of California is in Berkley, CA. Berkley, CA is around the San Francisco area, so this is a Northern California school. If you watch G4TV, I believe California is the alma mater of X-Play co-host Morgan Webb. California would love to beat teams like their football team did to Stanford back in 1982 in football. Don't let the NC State marching band prevent California from winning because Golden Bears still remain golden regardless of the opposition. Inside of 1 minute left, both teams were deadlocked at 52 as NC State ripped a nice three-pointer from the tenth floor. Afterwards, the Wolfpack upset the Californians. (58-52; North Carolina State)

* Pennsylvania vs. Texas (Dallas, TX - winner meets North Carolina State)
The Big XII's best team in the state of Texas is Texas. They are going to have their HUGE match against Pennsylvania. The University of Texas is getting ready to defend their National Championship in football, but you can bet the Longhorns are looking to start a sports dynasty. They dominate football. They dominate basketball. And in 100 years of Longhorn hoops, they hope to add college basketball to their resum&#233; by starting in Dallas. No Big XII school is based in Dallas, so there's no Big XII advantage. Besides, Baylor is in Waco, Texas A&M is in College Station, and Texas Tech is up in Lubbock. A team that is not even a Texas unit is Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania boys are the champions of the Ivy League as they have the Rose Bowl of college basketball- the Palestra. Pennsylvania didn't eat their Wheaties. But they did have a healthy helping of Quaker oatmeal. Penn's wild oats are ready to heat up Dallas and upset Texas. They are the very first team to get into The Big Dance. Athlon Sports has Texas as the National Champion runners-up. Let's see if Texas can live up to or surpass the prognosticators. Penn led 23-22 at the half. Afterwards, Texas pulled it out. Credit Penn's exceptional play on Texas. But it wasn't enough. (60-52; Texas)

"Carbondale Fiber" Southern Illinois vs. West Virginia
It's Missouri Valley meets Big East yet again. You saw what happened to Northern Iowa, so let's see if Southern Illinois can make things better for the MVC. Carbondale, IL is home to Southern Illinois University. The Southern Illinois Salukis play by the rules, but are rebellious and relentless on the boards. Speaking of boards, they want to keep West Virginia from putting up big points ON the board. West Virginia's big man is Mr. Kevin Pittsnoggle. The young man became a father a month or so ago, and I'm sure winning a championship will give his baby boy plenty of beautiful memories. Can he say "daddy?" Can he say "March Madness?" Can he even say "West Virginia Mountaineers?" Well, let's do a little less baby talk and play some grown-up basketball. The game finished 36-24, WVU at the half. The Mountaineers kept the pressure up, giving Southern Illinois all they can handle and more. Can you say, "winner?" Good baby! West Virginia wins this one, and that's nothing to baby about. (64-46; West Virginia)

"Upset is in the Eyes of the Beholder" Northwestern State vs. Iowa
The winners of the Southland Conference is Shrevport, LA's Northwestern State. They are looking to square off against Iowa. First off is Northwestern State. Northwestern State is a team I've heard of several times in the Southland Conference in football. You got a football-rich conference they are fighting against, the Big Ten and Iowa. Surely, the Northwestern State Demons (no relation to Northwestern University) are ready to give ANY team hell. Iowa is a sensational team, especially in football. Their men's basketball team is surprisingly great as well. After a great Big Ten campaign, the Hawkeyes want a National Championship in the worst way. Neither team is wearing green, but they are on the court of Oakland University. And in Southeastern Michigan, Northwestern State pulled the biggest shock of the day. Iowa = no more. Shocking upset. That's going to mess up your brackets, people! Holy crap! (64-63; Northwestern State)

Now, a sad note today. This is St. Patrick's Day, it was a HIGHLY unlucky day for Ray Meyer as Meyer died today after being a great coach for DePaul University. Ray was 92 years old. (1913-2006)

On behalf of myself and all of GTPlanet, we will miss you. Thanks for the memories. As for you all here, more scores to come. I'll even try to work on my women's scores when I can get in some scores.

GTPlanet, it's been a dull and gloomy Saturday here in Houston with cloudy skies and rain. One can only hope the big teams don't have cloudy chances of making the NCAA Tournament. One team had their dreams of advancing blown away by an F5 Tornado and damaging lightning. In fact, let's begin with one team's hopes crushed, but not without a fight. We start with the Washington, D.C. Region and the Second Round.

Many scores are last minute, so don't expect fancy stories. Also, the women were in action, so check my other thread with updates.

---WASHINGTON, D.C. REGION, SECOND ROUND---
"Wake-Up Call!" #15 Wichita State vs. #2 Tennessee (Greensboro, NC)
Let's begin with Wichita State looking to take on a big dog. No, not the other team's mascot, but the University of Tennessee. Wichita State University is based in Wichita, KS. Their website is { http://www.wichita.edu/ }, and their althetics department is at { http://goshockers.com/ }. As you would imagine, they are known as the Shockers. Wichita State knocked off Seton Hall in their last game. Seton Hall was more of would have, could have, should have. But this is a win Wichita State celebrated... until their opponents shared the same court with WSU. Tennessee is ready for action. When a team wants to advance in the tournament, you'll need to Volunteer your efforts to climb up the ladder. The next rung on the ladder is the Sweet Sixteen. Who will be Two and Out? Let's see. GTPlanet, here is a personaly story. I was at Baybrook Mall in Webster, TX. I went into the Radio Shack store. When I saw the CBS coverage of Wichita State at Tennessee, I noted Tennessee TRAILING Wichita State about 70-something to another 70-something. I was like, oh God... I gotta get home and type up this report for GTPlanet! People, your brackets are screwed if you had Tennessee going to the Sweet Sixteen. Tennessee ends up 2 and Done and Bruce Pearl (TENN head coach) wasn't happy one bit. W. State will look to see who they will face in the Sweet Sixteen against either George Mason or North Carolina. Since this is told to be a Big Dance of upsets, who knows if George Mason could knock off the defending National Champions, North Carolina? (80-73; Wichita State)

* #5 Washington vs. #4 Illinois (San Diego, CA)
'Twas a close shave for Washington. Fortunately, these basketball-playing Huskies shut up the Illinois Fighting Illini. Now Illinois can brace itself for Spring and Summer sports, not to mention seeing if their football team can actually GET somewhere than just be the Syracuse of the Big Ten. Tough season for Illinois. (67-64; Washington)

OAKLAND REGION, SECOND ROUND
* #10 Alabama vs. #2 UCLA (San Diego, CA)
If Alabama shocked UCLA, then this would hurt as bad as Wichita State beating Tennessee. Thankfully, the UCLA Bruins are clean even after being splashed by the Alabama Crimson Tide. UCLA was like, "surf's up!" But what goes up... you know. Alabama went down as UCLA proved to be tide-proof. Only tide they fear is their uniforms getting cleaned with Tide detergent or something. (62-59; California-Los Angeles)

* #6 Indiana vs. #3 Gonzaga (Salt Lake City, UT)
The spread was 10 between Indiana and Gonzaga. Both are favorites for beyond the Two and Out level. Gonzaga made it happen as the Bulldogs nailed the final nail of the coffin for the Indiana Hoosiers' less than stellar season. (90-80; Gonzaga)

ATLANTA REGION - SECOND ROUND
* Texas A&M vs. Louisiana State (Jacksonville, FL)
GTPlanet, we got two football schools going at it in hoops. Texas A&M University. The name alone gives you the sights of cheering maroon-clad fans and the ever popular War Hymn. The Aggies' battle cry is that they want the Final Four, and will defeat their opponents to become National Champions. The Texas A&M University system has a great number of campuses including Prarie View A&M, Tarleton State University, Texas A&M International, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Texas A&M Kingsville, West Texas A&M, Texas A&M-Commerce, Texas A&M-Texarkana, and the Texas A&M Health Science Center. Hardly anyone will call LSU Louisiana State. It's like how not many people will actually call UTEP as Texas-El Paso, or even IUPUI as Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis. But when LSU comes to mind, you think of the ever-popular Bayou Bengals. Surely, the LSU Tigers want to be called one thing come the end of the tournament- champions. LSU won their first game against Iona, now looking to add the Aggies to their hit list. Watching this game at a Sears store, I seen LSU go up 8-1 in the early going. Had it not been for a clutch 3-point bomb, Texas A&M would have upset LSU. Unfortunately, the LSU Tigers were up to snuff against any Aggie, any 6th Man, or anything like that. LSU's going to the Sweet Sixteen to meet the winner of George Washington/Duke. (58-57; Louisiana State)

* George Washington vs. Duke! (Greensboro, NC - winner faces LSU in Sweet Sixteen)
They amassed a big record, but George Washington's rise to fame came to a screeching halt as the Colonials couldn't knock off the Blue Devil juggernauts, Duke. (74-61; Duke!)

GTPlanet, before I get on with other games, let me give you EXACTLY the different picks Athlon Sports made in their college basketball preview. I'm sharing this with you because the ones people think are going to advance didn't stand a chance. This was THEIR Big Dance:

(Source: Athlon Sports' College Basketball Preview)

- 1 and Done -
Air Force*, Alabama A&M, Albany*, Belmont*, Bucknell*, California*, California State-Fullterton, Creighton, Davidson*, Dayton, Fairleigh Dickinson, Florida*, George Washington*, Georgetown*, Iona*, Iowa State, Kansas*, Miami, Montana State, Murray State*, Ohio, Ohio State*, Oklahoma State, Old Dominion, Oral Roberts*, Pennsylvania*, Pittsburgh*, South Carolina State, UNLV, Wisconsin-Milwaukee*, Winthrop*, Wisconsin

- 2 and Done -
Alabama*, Cincinatti, Houston, Illinois*, Indiana*, Iowa*, Louisiana State*, Maryland, Nevada*, North Carolina*, Syracuse*, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt*, Wake Forest, Washington*, West Virginia*

- Sweet Sixteen -
Boston College*, Gonzaga*, Kentucky*, Louisville, Memphis*, North Carolina State*, Northern Iowa*, California-Los Angeles*

- Elite Eight -
Arizona*, Oklahoma*, Connecticut*, Villanova*

- Final Four -
Michigan State*, Stanford*

- National Championship Game -
Texas*, DUKE (National Champion)*

Asterisks (*) indicate teams who actually did advance to the NCAA Tournament.

The point of all of this is that you can analyze a tricky postseason like this one all you want, but when the games are all played, even the sharpest analysis can be dead wrong. Among the names, here's the Before and After as half of the Sweet Sixteen is being decided:

NOT EVEN IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT:
California State-Fullterton, Creighton, Dayton, Fairleigh Dickinson, Iowa State, Miami, Montana State, Ohio, Oklahoma State, Old Dominion, South Carolina State, UNLV, Wisconsin, Cincinatti, Houston, Maryland, Wake Forest, and Louisville

Many of the teams above had bad seasons and didn't live up to many peoples' expectations. Either that, or the committee wasn't to impressed with their performances. They say it's a postseason of upsets, and well... let's see the upsets. First off, Northwestern State shocked Iowa. Another basketball school, Bradley, knocked off Kansas.

In off-topic news in the NCAA, my congratulations to Oklahoma State for winning the NCAA Division 1 National Championship in College Wrestling. I will let you know who won the National Championship in Women's Division 3 basketball in my Road to Boston thread. Until then, we have a host of games as we are building up the Sweet Sixteen. One of the games, Connecticut vs. Kentucky. Who will advance to the Sweet Sixteen and maybe go higher? We can really and safely fill out the Sweet Sixteen this Sunday as the Sunday games will go underway in deciding our Sweet Sixteen. Afterwards, it's the Elite Eight for the winners. Afterwards, it's the elusive Final Four. But Sixteen first... and I'll have those results when I get my results in. Take care!

Spring Break is pretty much over as most frat guys are probably done with partying with girls or whatever the case. There may even be fans who seen the Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring and are coming back to check out hoops scores. Well, I have all you need and then some. The big shock yesterday was Wichita State advancing over Tennessee. I can tell you that another pack of cats may have broken hearts. But first, let's see how the defending NCAA Champions, North Carolina, fared against George Mason university. We begin with the Washington, D.C. Region.

---WASHINGTON, D.C., SECOND ROUND---
* George Mason vs. North Carolina
Let's start with a mid-major against a juggernaut. George Mason University is in Fairfax, VA. They are only one of three different "George" universities in this year's Division 1 tournament. One George fell yesterday, George Washington. Hopefully, they won't see the Patriots follow suit. These are true Patriots, and hope to be true champions.
(65-60; George Mason) *upset!*

* Kentucky vs. Connecticut! (???, ?? - winner faces Washington in Sweet Sixteen)
This is a proverbial cat vs. dog test for Kentucky. Because I love cats, I'll start with the Kentucky. The University of Kentucky is the pride and spirit of Kentucky sports. In fact, the two powers are Kentucky and Louisville, and both share equal effort in as many NCAA sports as possible. Louisville's abscence in the NCAA tournament means that Kentucky must give the state a heartbeat and a voice of Wildcats roaring their way into the Sweet Sixteen. Connecticut has other ideas, however. The University of Connecticut is known more for being a basketball school than most other sports, including football (which is on the rise). If Kentucky has Wildcats, then Connecticut has Huskies. What is your allegiance? Cats or dogs? Let's settle it on the hardwood. Connecticut led 43-31 at half. Kentucky trailed in the First Round at the half and came back to win over UAB. They have a mountain to climb this time around. Anything is possible with Kentucky considering that they trailed by 31 to LSU 12 years ago to eventually win. Both teams are blue-colored, but only one will be singing the blues. Game was REALLY close inside of three minutes. Sadly for UK, Randolph Morris fouled out with 14 points. It's 79-74 Connecticut in the proverbial two-minute warning (sorry to use football terms for basketball). Connecticut led after a Kentucky stickback from a failed three to make it 85-83. Afterwards, Kentucky's done after the Huskies were just too powerful. Sorry, Kentucky and its fans. No Sweet Sixteen this season. There's always next season, of course. So come out fighting next season! I think it also means that R. Morris may enter the draft after a failed attempt this past offseason. Meanwhile, Connecticut will play in a Husky battle against Washington.
(87-83; Connecticut!)

---OAKLAND REGION, SECOND ROUND---
* Bradley vs. Pittsburgh
Missouri Valley vs. Big East. Who would hold together under pressure? Let's find out. I've learned that Bradley University is in Peoria, IL. I also know they are brave. These Braves were brave enough to take on Pittsburgh. Then again, you face teams in tournaments, so it isn't like you can
(72-66; Bradley) *upset!*

* Bucknell vs. Memphis
The Bucknell Bison had no answer to the pounding Memphis offense, characteristic of how dominant Tigers can be. (72-56; Memphis!)

---ATLANTA REGION, SECOND ROUND---
* Northwestern State vs. West Virginia
Northwestern State pulled the trick over Iowa, so could they topple West Virginia? Unfortunately, Northwestern State's Demons couldn't reach the peak of Mount WVU because the Mountaineers ain't having that. You dig? (67-54; West Virginia)

"Stone Cold Austin Texas" North Carolina State vs. Texas (Dallas, TX)
Nothing like the state of Texas. Nothing like the University of Texas. We'll begin with North Carolina State before giving Texas some recognition. These are two schools with a number of great sports programs. North Carolina State seen their big rivals, North Carolina, go down in flames to George Mason. That gives NC State some incentive to give North Carolina a message. They want to advance higher than North Carolina. Can they do it? Calling North Carolina State as "underdogs" is an understatement because the Wolfpack don't know what going under is like. Now on to a virtual home game for Texas. My home state is Texas, America's second largest state and largest among the Lower 48. Texas is in the capital city of Austin. They have stayed watching their next opponent. Maybe they were watching tapes of the 2006 Rose Bowl by seeing Vince Young do his thing. They are more than a football school. They are the defending college baseball champions, so a win here will give Texas a little more incentive in dominating Division 1 sports. The Longhorns hate to be 2 and Done. Could it still happen? NC State will make life Hell for Texas, but can they look The Devil in the eyes and make him blink? Less than 10 seconds into the game, NC State banged in a quick deuce. Texas has shown to be a three-point threat. It's almost hard to top Texas, and North Carolina State had all sorts of problems taking on Texas. Texas coasts into the Sweet Sixteen. (75-54; Texas)

#8 Arizona vs. #1 Villanova!
It's 'Zona and 'Nova. This is a battle of two dedicated basketball schools with limited football ability. Who's going to advance in this one? It's the Wildcats of Villanova, sending the Arizona Wildcats packing. Not a good day for Wildcats... first Kentucky, now Arizona. But it was a GREAT Wildcat day for Villanova.
(82-78; Villanova!)

* Georgetown vs. Ohio State (Dayton, OH - winner faces Florida in Sweet Sixteen)
Oh, hi! Georgetown and Ohio State. You ready? At the half, Ohio State wanted to say "Over-rated!" to the Big East. With Illinois gone, a new power must step up and carry the flag for the Big Ten. Some say Ohio State is the team to do it. But Georgetown led 38-25. Not good for the Buckeyes. But the Big East was too strong as Georgetown has an East Coast date with Florida next. That's right- Hoyas/Gators in the Sweet Sixteen. (70-52; Georgetown)

In addition to these late scores, here are some other scores I have to share with you all, namely from Divisions 2 and 3.

---DIVISION 2 MEN'S FOCUS---

Let's break from Division 1 and look at some of the lower divisions. These are some rapid fire scores for Division 2 teams as of March 14, 2006:

* Southern Indiana vs. SIU-Edwardsville (64-60; Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville)
* Arkansas-Monticello vs. Montevallo (89-86; Montevallo)
* Virginia Union vs. Georgia College and State University (GC&SU) (76-73; Virginia Union)
* Winona State vs. Northern State (96-86; Winona State - North Central Regional Champions)
* Northwest Missouri State vs. Tarleton State (72-71; Tarleton State)

---DIVISION 3 MEN'S FOCUS---
This past Saturday, the Division 3 National Champion was already decided. You see, the big boys in Division 1 start much later, so there is much to love outside of Division 1 for basketball fans. I can tell you that National Champions were crowned over the weekend on Saturday. Here is the National Championship game results for the Division 3 National Championship:

*+x DIVISION 3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME x+*

Wittenberg vs. Virginia Wesleyan

This championship game is between Wittenburg University and Virginia Wesleyan College. Wittenburg University can be found in Springfield, OH. They are home to a pack of Tigers who want nothing more than the National Championship. But to get that second title in their history, they'll need to match up against a small college in a familiar city if you follow Division 1 college basketball (which many of you do), Norfolk, VA. What other familiar school is in Norfolk? Well, not just Norfolk State, but also Old Dominion University. They are part of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (speaking of Old Dominion). Virginia Wesleyan College doesn't want to be in the mix of Division 1 schools because the Marlins are already sure they are small fish in a big ocean. Do Tigers eat fish? Here is some National Geographic in your face, people! Tigers can be happy, purring creatures, but their roar wasn't enough to intimidate Virginia Wesleyan College as they took the hardware home. This win signals the first National Championship in Virginia Wesleyan College's history.

FINAL:
Wittenburg - 56
Virginia Wesleyan - 59 {Men's 2006 Division 3 National Champions}

That's all. More to come from me. Will you watch this thread closely? I knew I can count on you!

JohnBM01
* Kentucky vs. Connecticut! (???, ?? - winner faces Washington in Sweet Sixteen)
This is a proverbial cat vs. dog test for Kentucky. Because I love cats, I'll start with the Kentucky. The University of Kentucky is the pride and spirit of Kentucky sports. In fact, the two powers are Kentucky and Louisville, and both share equal effort in as many NCAA sports as possible. Louisville's abscence in the NCAA tournament means that Kentucky must give the state a heartbeat and a voice of Wildcats roaring their way into the Sweet Sixteen. Connecticut has other ideas, however. The University of Connecticut is known more for being a basketball school than most other sports, including football (which is on the rise). If Kentucky has Wildcats, then Connecticut has Huskies. What is your allegiance? Cats or dogs? Let's settle it on the hardwood. Connecticut led 43-31 at half. Kentucky trailed in the First Round at the half and came back to win over UAB. They have a mountain to climb this time around. Anything is possible with Kentucky considering that they trailed by 31 to LSU 12 years ago to eventually win. Both teams are blue-colored, but only one will be singing the blues. Game was REALLY close inside of three minutes. Sadly for UK, Randolph Morris fouled out with 14 points. It's 79-74 Connecticut in the proverbial two-minute warning (sorry to use football terms for basketball). Connecticut led after a Kentucky stickback from a failed three to make it 85-83. Afterwards, Kentucky's done after the Huskies were just too powerful. Sorry, Kentucky and its fans. No Sweet Sixteen this season. There's always next season, of course. So come out fighting next season! I think it also means that R. Morris may enter the draft after a failed attempt this past offseason. Meanwhile, Connecticut will play in a Husky battle against Washington.
(87-83; Connecticut!)
This was a great game and I give my boys props for a huge effort. If only they could have played like this all season. We probably would have gotten a better seed and might have had a chance at the Elite Eight.

As for Morris going pro; not a chance. He made an agreement with Tubby to play out his eligibility if Tubby let him come back. The only UK player talking about NBA is Rajon rondo. He is a great ball handler, has good feet, is quick on the penetration, and can really hit the boards. Before he goes pro though he needs to work on his three-pointer, jump shot, and free throws. Unless there is a team who is really looking for someone who can only steal the ball and make layups I doubt he will get drafted very high, if at all.

Now that the Sweet Sixteen is set, you are free to preview and make your predictions.

Among the different teams include among others ("!" indicates #1 seeds):

Duke!
Villanova!
Memphis!
Connecticut!
Bradley
Wichita State
George Mason
West Virginia
Georgetown
Texas
Louisiana State
Washington
Gonzaga
California-Los Angeles (UCLA)

I know I forgot two teams. This is basically breezing through. Regardless, many of the matchups will take place this weekend. So here are my questions to you all:

1.) If not in the Sweet Sixteen, which #1 seed is most likely to fall in the Sweet Sixteen or any level higher than the Sweet Sixteen?

2.) Who is most likely to advance to the Sweet Sixteen?

3.) Do you think a mid-major will crash the party and make it to the Final Four, much less the Elite Eight?

4.) How many #1 seeds will advance to the Elite Eight? Final Four?

5.) What team are you most impressed with so far?

Well, the Sweet Sixteen awaits to decide the fate of these 16 teams who fought their way into The Dance. Let's preview the matchups we have coming up.

LSU beat Duke last night.

This pleases me in two ways:

1) DUKE LOST!!! Dick "Duke" Vitale probably cried all the way home. So sad.

2) Duke got beat by a SEC team. What was that? The number one team in the country got beat by a team from the conference commonly accused of being the most overrated? This is important because Louisville fans (even while in the C-USA) used this argument to downplay Kentucky's success.

Now, if South Carolina can beat Louisville in the NIT Tuesday I will be almost happy enough to forget that my team (UK) lost in the second round to UConn.

My highest hope right now is that Florida or LSU win the NCAA and South Carolina wins the NIT. A SEC sweep! When your team is out you have to cheer on your conference.

"Gonna spread my wings (Sweet Sixteen)
"It's my chance to shine (Sweet Sixteen)
"Dis-co-ver-ing (Sweet Sixteen)
"So Much More than My... Sweet Sixteen"

-Hilary Duff, "My Super Sweet Sixteen" theme song

These were the lyrice to MTV show, "My Super Sweet Sixteen." The show was mostly about girls (there were some guys too) who have over-the-top birthday parties. Leading up to the party, there are a number of issues which threatens how successful the deal goes. As the intro goes before an episode, "sometimes Sixteen ain't so sweet." Well, sixteen is very sweet. The Sweet Sixteen means that you are only three games away from a National Title game. Maybe Sixteen ISN'T so sweet at times. Besides, some will have VERY sweet Sweet Sixteen memories while eight others will celebrate their acheivements before their fall. So far, all #1 seeds have advanced. How many will be left after the Sweet Sixteen? Come along... get right on the... fantastic VOYAGE!

NOTE: These are late scores, so I'm combining Thursday scores with some of Friday's. We're going to set the Elite Eight, right? So let's do it, dawgs!

--- ATLANTA REGION: SWEET SIXTEEN/REGIONAL SEMIFINAL ---

* LSU vs. Duke! (Atlanta, GA)
How fitting. There will be a movie coming out called "ATL" (of course, A.T.L., or Atlanta), and we got the Atlanta Region. This game will be played at the Georgia Dome. So you know what this means, NFL fans- Falcons country. I doubt Michael Vick can throw one down (slam dunks, of course) or attack the lane. He'll be proud to know that two teams can do it very well, LSU and Duke. Let's begin with Duke. What can I say? The first letter of this university is "D." I can think of "dominating" as the key term that starts with the same letter as Duke University. Coach K is ready to send out his vicious Blue Devils to potentially shift the balance of power among North Carolina's big two- Duke and UNC. "FoolKiller" wants to see someone take down Duke. Well, Louisiana State MIGHT have a chance. Let's see if the Baton Rouge, LA outfit can get it done. The most famous basketball alum of LSU is Shaq, who plays for the Miami Heat. The LSU Tigers are packing some bigtime heat. LSU is packing heat, so Atlanta (and Duke) must take notice. Their heat is Glen Davis, who's kind of like a baby Shaq with those ripped arms and his intimidating frame. Duke has their own heat with J.J. Redick. Why don't we see who gets the better of the other. It was 31-27 at the half, so if you hate Duke, LSU had an edge at the half. But if you lead at the half, you have to lead in the other half to make it mean anything. This game is likely a street fight all over the ATL. At about 21 seconds left, LSU is at the line, leading 58-54. He hit the front end of the 1+1, missed the second, and LSU snatched the boards as Duke tried to foul as best as they could. Duke had trouble, especially their gamebreaker J.J. Redick. Glen "Big Baby" Davis was clutch in Hot-Lanta as G. Davis cranked up the heat and shot to kill. By the end of this shootout, it's LSU advancing. On a statistical note, Williams led all Duke scorers with 23 points. He picked up a double-double in this one. Then, he's the only one to get a double-double. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. Happy now, "FoolKiller?" Duke becomes the first #1 to fall in the Big Dance. How do they party in Lexington and Chapel Hill? (62-54; Louisiana State) *#1 Seed Upset!!!*

--- OAKLAND REGION: SWEET SIXTEEN/REGIONAL SEMIFINAL ---
* Bradley vs. Memphis!
Bradley University and the U. of Memphis are going to clash. Let's start with the better-known school- Memphis. The University of Memphis has great sports teams. Their football team likely seen their game breaker, DeAngelo Williams likely heading to the NFL to give some team a much-needed boost (probably won't be my hometown Texans). Their basketball team has amassed an incredible record, with their last loss taken by UAB (who has long been out of the Tournament thanks to Kentucky). The Memphis Tigers are one of only two Tigers playing in two places at the same time. Now for the little-known. If all you care about is glamourous schools, then Bradley University should lose this game by 20 points or more in your mind. But, what if I told you that Bradley knocked off Kansas and Pittsburgh? Would you believe me, or think I'm bluffing like hell? Well, let's see. Bradley kicked Kansas out of the dance - UPSET! Bradley tamed Pittsburgh in The Dance - UPSET! Can the Braves score three upsets in a row? This would be a sensational upset. Who would imagine Bradley being an Elite Eight candidate... and perhaps a Final Four contender? That's the magic of March Madness. A football analogy for Bradley is like saying that Bradley is the 2004 Utah Utes of the Big Dance. But let's see which team will score the touchdown to send the other team packing. 35-30 at the half for the Tigers. (??-??; Memphis!)

OTHER GAMES
* West Virginia vs. Texas (winner faces LSU)
(74-71; Texas)

* Gonzaga vs. UCLA
42-29, Gonzaga at half. But then, UCLA shocked the Spokane, WA unit. UCLA's Bruins bruised the Gonzaga Bulldogs, proving Athlon Sports right about Gonzaga being a Sweet Sixteen contender.
(73-71; California-Los Angeles)

FRIDAY ACTION

#11 George Mason vs. #7 Wichita State
Whoever wins this game is going to be one HUGE sleeper. If you follow college football, then you know very little about these two. George Mason is the Fairfax, VA unit fueled by Patriot power. Wichita State is a team to watch because they are Shockers on a mission. Can they sting George Mason? Not at all. Patriots never won a tourney game, but are now Elite Eight contenders. Wichita State knocked off a handful of teams, but not George Mason. (63-58; George Mason)

#4 Boston College vs. Villanova! (Minneapolis, MN)
Villanova is the #1 Seed as Boston College is in action to meet them. One gets the Sweet Sixteen, the other gets a sweet butt-whoopin'. Regulation solves nothing. Bring on overtime! Goaltending was called with about 2 seconds left, but time was extended to three seconds left. Can Boston College pull an LSU over Villanova? No. The goaltending killed Boston College in the end. Better defending would have meant that two #1 seeds don't make the Elite Eight. But thanks to [what I considered] a blunder, Villanova advances while BC became extinct for National Championship hopes. (60-59 OT; Villanova!)

#7 Georgetown vs. #3 Florida (Minneapolis, MN; Winner meets Villanova - Sunday)
Georgetown's Hoyas put up a good fight against Florida, but the Gators chomped away Georgetown's Elite Eight hopes. (57-54; Florida)

#5 Washington vs. #1 Connecticut
Connecticut's trail to the Sweet 16: def. Albany -> def. Kentucky (much to the dismay of "FoolKiller") Washington led 45-40 at the half. Among many of the teams so far, a team that led at the half loses by game's end. Will history repeat itself, or will Connecticut be beaten like Seton Hall did back in the First Round? History DID repeat itself. (98-92, OT; Connecticut!)

On top of that, let me give you some other action.

--- DIVISION 2 CHAMPIONSHIP FOCUS ---
Springfield, Massachusetts. This is a place which is told to be the birthplace of basketball. Well, a champion will be born in Division 2 for the 2005-2006 season.

--- NCAA DIVISION 2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP; ELITE EIGHT ---

* Virginia Union vs. Seattle Pacific (Elite Eight - Springfield, MA)
West meets east here as the CIAA (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association) is ready to face the GNAC (Great Northwesr Athletic Conference). Virginia Union University is a wonderful basketball program from a conference which is told to be the oldest historically-black collegiate conference in America. The VUU Panthers are looking to keep a good thing going. But can they advance to the Division 2 Final Four? They will have to do it against Seattle Pacific. When you think of college sports and the city of Seattle, then nine times out of ten, you are mostly thinking about the University of Washington. But this is a non-football school in the GNAC conference, the Great Northwest Athletic Conference). Division 2 is unique because you can find programs in Alaska, Hawaii, and even Puerto Rico all playing in Division 2 NCAA basketball. Seattle Pacific University was voted as one of America's best colleges. Can they prove U.S. News right, but on the basketball front? I grant you that the Falcons will do everything in their power to win this game and get their voice across. Unfortunately, the Virgina Union Panthers sent Seattle Pacific all the way back to Seattle Pacific University. Virginia Unions makes the Final Four of Div. 2. (68-63; Virginia Union)

I apologize for not updating this thread after each batch of games. So now, the Elite Eight is set:

Memphis!, UCLA, Villanova!, Florida, Texas, George Mason, Connecticut!, and LSU.

Again, show me how Lexington's Duke haters party in Lexington, KY, FoolKiller! Also, show me how you boys and girls in Chapel Hill party over Duke's fall!

JohnBM01
"Gonna spread my wings (Sweet Sixteen)
"It's my chance to shine (Sweet Sixteen)
"Dis-co-ver-ing (Sweet Sixteen)
"So Much More than My... Sweet Sixteen"

-Hilary Duff, "My Super Sweet Sixteen" theme song
Please, tell me you did not just quote Hilary Duff.

Again, show me how Lexington's Duke haters party in Lexington, KY, FoolKiller! Also, show me how you boys and girls in Chapel Hill party over Duke's fall!
I don't have pictures, but I was at the bar at Applebee's drinking a Brutus (2 beers worth) sized (Kentucky) Blue Moon. I tipped my glass to Big Baby and then threw a "Ha HA" in my wife's face who constantly goes around saying that Duke is awesome and Kentucky sucks. I think she does it just to annoy me because she wears Kentucky clothes. The Duke loss also ruined her bracket since she had them winning it all.

Actually, I was just quoting Houston's own Hilary Duff. I hate her about as much as you do, but yeah. Anyhow, on to two shockers from Saturday's action. You people ready? Then get to reading!

Elite Eight is here. At this point, teams may have been knocked out of the First Round. The good (and even lucky) teams advance to the Second Round. After the Second Round, you are part of a club which means you are not very far off from championship contention- the Sweet Sixteen. Despite the name this sector of the tournament is given, it's only sweet for eight teams. And here we are, the Elite Eight. Anyone from George Mason to Connecticut will advance to the Final Four, but ONLY if they can win their games. You want to win in the Elite Eight because it is the Final Fours which give your coach some recognition as well as your team. For example, my hometown power, the University of Houston, has seen over 5 Final Fours, including the would have, could have, should have game between Houston and NC State with "Phi Slamma Jamma." Four teams will make an appearance unlike any other. The games are completely unpredictable, even though it seems completely fair to rank a powerhouse over a mid-major/Cinderella. But what if that mid major or Cinderella shocks the better team? Then it means your bracket is messed up. That's the way it is with names like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, and such are out of the tournament.

"The Tortise and the Hare" #? LSU vs. #2 Texas
Louisiana State knocked off Duke, so can they knock off another power? Texas is projected to be National Championship runners-up. Whose dreams will continue? We got two football powers going at it. The Bayou Bengals of LSU basically shown they can play hoops as well as they can in football. The Tigers have to square off against a team very capable of being a Final Four contender. Being a contender and getting to the Final Four are two different things. Texas has won the National Championship in football against the USC Trojans, the baseball National Championship over the Florida Gators, now the Texas Longhorns want to add Men's Hoops to their trophy collection. This game was a complete fist fight. This is like two heavyweight boxers beating the crap out of each other. At BOTH halves, the halves didn't solve anything. They were deadlocked 26 after 1, then locked 52 after regulation. But then, Texas was stuck in neutral. LSU shocks Texas and ends any dreams of a college sports triple crown. For the Bayou Bengals, they're going to the Final Four. Good job, LSU. And geaux Tigers! (70-60, OT; Louisiana State - *Final Four!*)

* #2 UCLA vs. #1 Memphis!
Carrying the pride of California is UCLA, while the pride of Tennessee is on Memphis' shoulders. Let's see which pride is good enough to potentially match up with LSU in the Final Four. First, Los Angeles. When you think of Los Angeles and college sports, you likely think of USC and their superstar football program (and oh yeah, their Men's Water Polo National Championship). You certainly don't think of the dismal Loyola Marymount University's male hoops team. But you MIGHT think of UCLA. UCLA wants a National Championship. And if they get it, it will be their first championship since they won it all in 1995. If the Beverly Hillbillies struck gold in Southern California, the Bruins can seek gold anywhere they go. While UCLA is mining for gold, some kittens were caught in the way of UCLA's excavation efforts, so UCLA had to stop briefly. UCLA thought they were house cats, but instead of meowing and purring, they heard ferocious roars. Kittens mining for gold? That's right. Forget about balls of yarn, the ball of yarn for Memphis is an NCAA-regulation basketball. They play with a basketball which will give the Tigers the Final Four they've wanted to get to. This low-scoring game seen Memphis' chances of championship aspirations get relegated to maybe this coming October. UCLA advances, Memphis doesn't. It's a sad story either way. (50-45; California-Los Angeles - *Final Four!*) *#1 Seed Upset!*

Before talking about my finer points of Saturday's action, let's do Division 2.

--- NCAA DIVISION 2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME; SPRINGFIELD, MA ---{/B]

Virginia Union {Panthers}
vs.
Winona State {Warriors}

"Shaken and Stirred"

GTPlanet, this is the matter of Virginia Union of the CIAA (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) and the Winona State of the NSIC (Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference. Let it be known that Virginia Union is the defending National Champions as this match gets underway. The CIAA was marketed along the ESPN family of networks as the oldest historically-black college conference in America. With more than 60+ years of existance, the CIAA is proud in seeing Virginia Union advance to the final game. Virginia Union University is one of many historically-black colleges and universities, or HBCU's. The Panthers are a great basketball team who doesn't know what quitting is. The undisputed underdog of this game is Winona State. Winona State University can be found in Winona, Minnesota as part of the NSIC (Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference). The NSIC is not to be confused with CBS show "NCIS." They are underdogs because they never won the National Championship while VUU's won about 3 at this point. They may come from up north, but the Warriors will beat you down on both ends of the court. So who got the better of this exchange? Virginia Union actually disappointed me. They could have played much better, but their stumbling offense led to several Winona State oppurtunities. Winona State wins it all in the city where college hoops was born- Springfield, MA! (73-61; Winona State - *+x DIVISION 2 MEN'S NATIONAL CHAMPIONS x+*)

So the matchup some people wanted was Texas and Duke (or at least, Athlon Sports). Duke's gone, now Texas is gone. Memphis was probably going to be Final Four material, but their breakdown meant that UCLA had the better of this deal. If upsets persist, guess what. George Mason's going to the Final Four. I'm probably on record in saying that just about MANY peoples' brackets have been screwed. If you had to file brackets in time much like many of you do taxes in time, then many of you would not be able to adjust your bracket so you can better favor other teams. LSU and UCLA are regional champions and ready to go to Indianapolis. Which two will join them? The answer is this Sunday.

Let me speak with passion, GTPlanet. The Elite Eight is where you want to be. Where you REALLY want to be is the Final Four. I usuallly like being nice, so let me say that at this point, every team who has this oppurtunity is already a winner. Only four can advance. We may already have our two who will be Final Four contenders as LSU vs. UCLA is 1/2 of the Final Four. Now, we have four other deserving teams looking to fill the final two spots for the Final Four. What two teams will fulfill their needs and win it all to make the Final Four? We shall begin with the Washington D.C. Region as George Mason University meets the University of Connecticut. Then, we have Villanova University from the Philadelphia area playing against Gainesville, FL's University of Florida. GTPlanet, we are only two games away from the Final Four! So let's do hoops!

WASHINGTON D.C. REGION - FINAL
* George Mason vs. Connecticut!
GTPlanet, we have George Mason against Connecticut in the Washington, D.C. Regional. One team is going to have capital punishment against them, in the form of being knocked out of the tournament in the most glittering stat any team or coach wants to have on that good old resum&#233;- the Final Four. George Mason University is the ultimate underdog in all of this. The city of Fairfax, Virginia is more than proud of their GMU basketball team. They are part of a great basketball conference with the likes of North Carolina-Wilmington
among others. They love America, which they show great Patriot pride. Connecticut loves America themselves. One says they are based in Hartford, CT. One says they are from Storrs, CT. Wherever they are from, they are part of a conference who is on the rise in football, but has ALWAYS been a contender in basketball. This not only includes the men, but also the women. Their dog pound is full of ravenous and deadly Huskies primped, pampered, well-fed, and ready to make a Final Four appearance. These doggies prefer college hoops tourneys over prissy dog shows. The game was extremely competitive. Since regulation didn't solve anything, that's why there is Overtime. One team is going to Indianapolis, while the other is going home. In the end, George Mason becomes the second-ever #11 seed to beat a #1 seed. This is the first time since Kentucky did it over LSU back in 1986. So I guess GMU would ask, "what mid-major? What Cinderella?" They may well be the new Gonzaga. But we'll see who they will face? This is their first tournament, and they are going to a Final Four. No matter what happens from here on out, I admire and congratulate their efforts. By the way, play that tape over again:

"If this keeps up, George Mason's going to the Final Four." -"JohnBM01" on Yesterday's Games

And look what happened. (86-84, OT; George Mason) *#1 Seed Upset!*

* Florida vs. Villanova!
Do you hate yourself for creating a bad bracket? Well, your bracket may anger you a bit more with Villanova and Florida going at it. It's been called a tournament of upsets. Around 11 minutes left in the Second Half, Florida led 45-40. Afterwards, more brackets are screwed! So if you haven't already burned up your brackets and thrown them into a dumpster, please do so if you expected Villanova to advance. The Wildcats were eaten up by the Florida Gators. How about those Gainesville Gators? Then too, how about the SEC? (75-62; Florida) *#1 Seed Upset!*

Again, name me one person's bracket who had George Mason going to the Final Four. Name me the person who got this Final Four set up. Name me someone who got EVERY match done from the Play-in game to this point. I will personally give that person a HELL of a lot of kudos. You thought this year was going to be easy to call? (buzzer sound) Wrong! On top of this, look what we have here. I wanted to ask a question on GTPlanet that goes like this:

Is it possible for a team other than the ACC or Big East to win the National Championship?

Sure enough, ACC is out. Big East is out. So who's left? We got the UCLA in the Pac-10, LSU in the SEC, George Mason of the CAA, and Florida also in the SEC. So one of three conferences have a chance to win the National Championship. The SEC has the advantage with two SEC teams. And can you imagine if the National Championship is between two SEC teams? Look what happens- people will say "the ACC and Big East are good... but you forgot ALL ABOUT the SEC! We're not just a football conference anymore!" What if the Pac-10 won? UCLA would see the promised land for the first time in over a decade. What if the CAA wins it all? Then it would show that upsets can still happen even if a team isn't as glamourous as the ACC or Big East. To me, more upsets seem to happen in college basketball than in college football. That is because college basketball is almost unpredictable. You don't have ball control to be as dominant in basketball as it is in basketball. Basketball is a full-time deal. If you aren't active for the minutes you're playing, then you aren't going to win. Simple as that. If George Mason wins the Final Four and the National Championship, I'll tell you that it will make Joe Lunardi's day. He's the one who thought mid-majors like the Missouri Valley will be names to watch. I don't know if he expected George Mason to go as far as they are now.

On top of that, when people said that this year could see all four #1s make the Final Four. There have been no #1's in the tournament since 1980. I was born in 1983 when "Phi Slamma Jamma" was rocking H-Town and the tournament. Now... Duke was out, Memphis got beat, Connecticut got shocked, and Villanova got their butts handed to. The easy picks are out. How do you judge the National Championship now? This may be my first season covering college basketball on GTPlanet, but this is a hellaciously exciting tournament! The action will continue this Saturday. Expect a preview to come.

JohnBM01
Sure enough, ACC is out. Big East is out. So who's left? We got the UCLA in the Pac-10, LSU in the SEC, George Mason of the CAA, and Florida also in the SEC. So one of three conferences have a chance to win the National Championship. The SEC has the advantage with two SEC teams. And can you imagine if the National Championship is between two SEC teams? Look what happens- people will say "the ACC and Big East are good... but you forgot ALL ABOUT the SEC! We're not just a football conference anymore!"
What are you doing, reading my mind? I am hoping for an SEC sweep of both tournaments.

As much as I want to see a LSU versus Florida final, I have to say I have seen this game multiple times this year already. If one of the two SEC teams don't win then I am for George Mason all the way.

After a longish break, I'm going to post my own little preview of this year's tournament. This came off of a bulletin I did on a popular friend-making service. So here goes:

If you follow college basketball, you are looking forward to this coming weekend when Indianapolis sees four of America's best Division 1 men's teams go at it for the title. Who will win?

Louisiana State - Can the Baton Rouge, LA unit win it all? After all, the Tigers knocked off Texas (much to my Longhorn friend Cecilia's dismay), now have the chance to bring a title home to Baton Rouge. They don't have LSU alum Shaq, but they do have Glen "Big Baby" Davis, which I jokingly call "Baby Shaq."

Florida - Can Gainesville, FL's Gators get it done? The Florida Gators kicked Villanova's asses and is the second SEC threat for the title. It could be all-SEC for the championship if LSU and Florida win their games.

California-Los Angeles - Can the Los Angeles, CA boys win it all? The Bruins know what championship glory is all about, having won about 3 or 4 times before, with their most recent in 1995. A championship here would be the first in over a decade.

George Mason - Can the Fairfax, VA outfit shock America? George Mason is the biggest Cinderella in this thing. Some would ask "how the hell did George Mason stay alive?" Well, either George Mason was on point, or the other jive turkeys couldn't contain the Patriots. This is their very first NCAA tournament, and damn it to Hell... they are making GREAT use of it. Is there light at the end of the tunnel for George Mason?

Well, LSU beat Texas, UCLA beat Gonzaga, Florida beat Villanova, and George Mason beat Connecticut. Might I also add that this is the first Final Four without a ..1 seed. It's the first time since 1980. Who'll win it all? CBS will be the network to show off who will win it all as it begins this Saturday. Good luck to all four teams, and may the better teams win.

I actually had a much better preview planned until I foolishly overwritten my RTF file with another copy from my USB Flash Drive. This one will suffice as it's the only legitimate Final Four preview I have. The fun begins Saturday and the championship game is on April 3rd. Who do you like in the Final Four, the remaining two teams, and the eventual National Champion?

This is it, GTPlanet. Several games have been played, and now we are down to four teams- Florida, George Mason, Louisiana State, and California-Los Angeles. There were 65 teams who made it to the tournament, then to 64, then to 32, then to 16, then to 8, and now we got four. It takes a lot of hard work, belief in yourself, and even that small factor of luck. Today may be April Fool's Day, but the winners of tonight's action will be MUCH more than just a silly pun. Two teams are going to be laughing while two others will be crying. Let me remind you- NO #1 seeds in this year's Final Four. No easy picks. You got to be brave and pick some quality teams, even an upset or two. Then again... there is a #1 Seed in this year's Final Four. It's Duke... or at least Coach K's Chevrolet commercials during the games.

Well, I'm not going to April Fool anybody, players. This is just tell it like it is, and hope you like what I got. If you can't dig that, start. FInal Four action coming up. We have to see which two will play on Monday for the Siemens Trophy. We will begin with George Mason and Florida. Then, LSU and UCLA. Remember, if Florida and LSU win, we'll have an all-SEC final game. Let's do Final Four!

(2006 NCAA MEN'S FINAL FOUR - GAME 1 OF 2)

* George Mason {Patriots; CAA; Fairfax, VA}
vs.
* Florida {Gators; SEC; Gainesville, FL}

"12 Tolls for Midnight"

The first game up is George Mason vs. Florida. This is a battle of first-timers and veterans. Somewhere out there, a Grandfather Clock is ticking as people thought George Mason was going to stage a serious campaign for the title. Who wouldn't have imagined that George Mason would go this far? Among the four schools in this year's Final Four, George Mason is the only school you don't know of if you follow football. There is no Tom Brady about George Mason, but the Patriots are looking to be America's team for 2005-2006. To do that, they must topple a hard-charging Florida unit. Florida is purely a football school, but it doesn't mean their men's basketball team has to suffice. A Florida football game is almost always enticing if you follow SEC football. Don't be surprised if the Gators share the same hard court intensity as their gridiron intensity. People are looking for Florida to win this game and give George Mason the beatdown they should have gotten in the First or Second Rounds. Oh, but you see... George Mason is no 1-and-Done or 2-and-Out team. They earned their pay and shown America to never be fans of the big and glamourous schools simply because the CAA is nonexistant in your mind. Now, when I got home after being with my parents on the road, I seen the score as George Mason trailing by at least 15. They got blown out in this game as it was already Daylight Savings Time in Indianapolis. The time was actually Midnight in Indy as George Mason were converted from riches to rags. And in the end, poor defense meant easy rebounds as George Mason failed to make something happen. I think they could have won the game by grabbing at least one board and bang in three-point bombs. It's a sad deal, but this is one hell of a campaign for your first NCAA Tournament, huh? Florida was simply the better team as they are guaranteed a Championship game.

Well, if you want an all-SEC Championship game, part of the matchup is already set. Now all you have to do is hope for LSU to beat UCLA. Did they? Find out after looking at this score:

FINAL SCORE

George Mason - 58
Florida - 73 (Advances to Championship Game)

MY COMMENTS: Florida was simply the better team, but it is absolutely criminal to discount George Mason for what they've done. I actually wanted North Carolina-Wilmington to be perhaps a Sweet Sixteen or higher CAA team. Unfortunately, North Carolina-Wilmington didn't last. George Mason DID last. As for Florida, they are only one game away from sending a message to the ACC and the Big East about the new power of college hoops.

(2006 NCAA MEN'S TOURNAMENT - GAME 2 OF 2)

* Louisiana State {Tigers; SEC; Baton Rouge, LA}
vs.
* California-Los Angeles {Bruins; Pac-10; Los Angeles, CA}

"Brawl of the Wild" (Winner meets Florida for National Title)

This is the SEC vs. the Pac-10 as LSU matches up against UCLA. These are two pure sports programs in all of Division 1 sports. First, let's do LSU. Shaquille O' Neal (despite the fact the Miami Heat lost to the Clevland Cavaliers) is probably hoping his LSU boys can get into the National Championship game. While LSU doesn't have Shaq, they do have who I call "Baby Shaq" - Glen Davis. This baby needs no bottle or Tickle me Elmo dolls because the Tigers can feed off of his offensive prescence. They'll need to be in a collaborative effort to beat UCLA. California is home to schools like Southern California, Sacromento State, Long Beach State, Loyola Marymount, California, California-Santa Barbara, San Diego, San Diesgo State, and the University of the Pacific for starters. They are also home to the glamourous UCLA Bruins. These Bruins outlasted Pac-10 competition such as Arizona and Washington. A win here will make the National Championship game SEC vs. Pac-10. But a loss here will mean that the FoolKillers of America will have a dream match as it will be essentially an SEC Championship game, only this is for ALL THE MARBLES! So who's going to play on Monday for the Siemens Trophy? Read and ye shall receive. I didn't see the game because I took a nap and missed just about 80% of the game. From the highlights I've seen, UCLA was OWNING LSU, and it all paid off even as LSU tried to cut down the double-digit spread. But if you wanted an all-SEC title game, FAH-GET-ABOUD-IT! UCLA has a shot at glory, as do Florida. So there's your title game. You dig, players?

FINAL SCORE:
Louisiana State - 45
California-Los Angeles - 59 (Advances to Championship Game)

MY COMMMENTS: Damn. This is a team which knocked off #1 Duke and #2 Texas. But even with all that credit, you still have to win your games. You bet that LSU will come back fighting for a title starting with the Maui Invitational deal if they are accepted or wish to participate for next year's crown. You can also bet they are going to be head and shoulders against the competition in the SEC including (but not limited to) Arkansas, an improving Georgia, Mississippi State, and even (with all due respect) Kentucky. As for UCLA, this is going to be the Pac-10 vs. the SEC. After a wacky season, we now know what to expect for the 2006 National Championship game.

Congratulations to both winners. The National Championship game I had planned was maybe George Mason vs. LSU. Or how about George Mason vs. UCLA? It's still a great match even if both team's won't be playing for the National Championship. This championship has been tough to call with all the different upsets. Remember all the talk that all #1 seeds could make the Final Four? Count up all #1s in the Final Four. The answer is... ZERO! But, it doesn't mean one team won't EVENTUALLY be #1 at championship's end. The fun began in November of 2005, and it ends this Monday!

Finally, one more game then I can actually turn off the tv and get some homework/studying done! :)

I do love march madness. This one is one of the crazier ones I've seen. UCLA was my only correct prediction in the Final Four. I'll be going for them in the championship game, but they've got a pretty tough opponent tonight.

*+x The 2006 National Championship Gasme x+*

Tomorrow, you PS2 gamers will get your shot at bagging Tourist Trophy and playing it on your PS2. I don't have two-wheelers for you with this post. What I DO have are two teams who want the National Championship and will compete in a proverbial street fight for the title. So... llllllllllllets get ready to RUMBLE!!!!! (thank you, Michael Buffer!)

Florida {Gators; SEC; Gainesville, FL}
vs.
California-Los Angeles {Bruins; Pac-10; Los Angeles, CA}

"Almost There..."

GTPlanet, this is the absolute final game before we look at the 2006-2007 season in November. We are in America's fastest city, Indianapolis, IN. And we have two teams who are coming out of Turn Four at Indy battling in a Photo Finish. A win here is like winning it all at the Indy 500. Rather than drinking milk, the winner gets to drink victory into their digestive systems. The winner may also be the favorites for next season. They will be the team to beat next season. Let's see which ones will win it all for 2005-2006. The Florida Gators could show great life as their football team has shown, making a good number of Bowl Games. The men's hoops team can show that Florida knows basketball too. However, the more glamourous team is UCLA. Can the Bruins lock in Championship #12? We shall see, huh people? The score was 36-25 in favor of Florida at half. The SEC may be ready to celebrate a potential championship in the bag. However, that all depends on what happens after the half. UCLA needs to regroup, and they have about 20 minutes to do so. After the game was over, there was a new conference to beat- the SEC. Care to take a shot, ACC? Big East? Anyone? Florida becomes the first Florida-based team (I believe in history) to win the National Championship in basketball... ever. A football power wins on the hardwood. Florida seemed to do everything right after trailing by 4-2 early on. Cut down the nets! We're done with another classic season of college hoops! Florida wins it all. Who said the Gators are only good at The Swamp? They proved incredible in their basketball efforts on hope of that.

FINAL SCORE:
Florida - 73 (*+x The NCAA's 2006 Division 1 Men's National Champions x+*)
California-Los Angeles - 57

MY COMMENTS: I'd want to believe that Florida really wanted it more than any other team. Believe it or not, I actually wanted to see LSU win the National Championship after knocking off many big teams in the later rounds. But they didn't advance, did they? This bracket was tough to call. Athlon Sports had the National Title game as Texas vs. Duke, and Duke would have been National Champs. Instead, we get #3 Seed Florida winning it all, getting its first National Championship in basketball. If I'm not mistaken, it's also the first basketball National Championship for the state of Florida. The Gators proven to be much more than a football power. I normally knocked universities and colleges (especially those with football teams) by saying that football powerhouses have bad basketball teams. Well, the Gators proved that The Swamp is not only in football, but also in basketball. Florida now makes the SEC the team to beat. I bet you SEC fans have to love this. It shown that as big as the Big East (or for some, the Big Least) was, not any of those 16 teams could compare to the SEC's number of teams. It was all about depth. Florida had it, many others didn't. They outclassed UCLA (which they could probably do in football as well) in this championship game, and now the SEC has bragging rights for next season. Well, live it up, Gainesville! Now hope your baseball team can make it to a championship game, and let's not forget Gator football, a classic Amreican tradition. My congratulations to the Florida Gators of the Southeastern Conference (SEC).

So does this mean that the SEC won't be bad mouthed as much?

It is funny, I had a Louisville fan at work today try and talk about how great Louisville was because they were the only other team to beat UCLA in a championship game (1980). I pointed out that it was a shame Louisville didn't even get a chance this year it was all about attacking Kentucky for losing to Connecticut. It's not as if Louisville's record against Connecticut is stellar in itself. I think they are sore about that NIT bid.

If anyone should be sore it is South Carolina. They showed they were too strong for the NIT.

Ah well, congrats Gators! You won't be so lucky come next January. :sly:

EDIT: I guess I should take my UK stuff off my car now.

Latest Posts

Back