Matzo BTS Cockpit: Refuge "Below The Stairs"

• Thread starter goixoye
  • 9 comments
The Matzo BTS (Below the Stairs) Cockpit:

When we finished the basement in our house I realized there was an unused and inaccessible space beneath the stairs. Can't see it in this picture.

From the garage side.

My 80's era Saab seat (bought it at a junkyard for $30). My video game library. and a few toys. The Lambo Jota just because I like it. The #17 Shell-Helix Falcon...my favorite ride in TOCA 2 (can't wait for TOCA 3).

Fan for the summer (top of picture), PS2, DFP, TV, and some surround sound stuff too. I originally had the DFP mounted on a keyboard tray slide but it was unstable. You can also see my Shell-Helix cap. I've got cable, ethernet connection and a phone line (but no phone...not yet anyway...this is my refuge from all that.

Pedals permanently mounted to plywood which is mounted to an oak corbel (from a house I helped build at the Greenbrier in WV). The block of wood keeps my feet where they need to be.

Now that's cool! Gotta throw in there, if not already, a nice receiver and some 5.1 surround sound speakers for that added realism! :D

SimRaceDriver
Now that's cool! Gotta throw in there, if not already, a nice receiver and some 5.1 surround sound speakers for that added realism! :D
Thanks, I do have the 5.1 surround sound, no receiver, it's a cheaper system...I think maybe made for computer but it does have the RCA jacks. If you look in the picture that shows the PS2 & TV ( I didn't realize how dark it was) you can sorta see the speaker on top of the TV. My steering wheel mount is securely mounted to the countertop section that the TV sits on...the vibration from the highest end race cars about jiggles the center speaker right off the TV. My wife walked by the other day, I was racing the Formula car in Tokyo down the straight and she thought the DFP was beating me to death. Also the picture with my video game "library" shows one of the rear speakers. The sound is awesome. I've got the speakers hooked directly into the PS2 so when I watch the TV the sound is so washed out. Makes me wonder how I survived before I got the speakers. Despite it being a "budget" system (bought it on ebay) it still sounds great inside that little space.

goixoye
Pedals permanently mounted to plywood which is mounted to an oak corbel (from a house I helped build at the Greenbrier in WV). The block of wood keeps my feet where they need to be.

OUCH! I just noticed this picture! I hope you race wearing shoes! If not, I'd suggest one of these in order to save the heels of your feet! (Besides, 'it' is cool to have anyway! :D)

SimRaceDriver
OUCH! I just noticed this picture! I hope you race wearing shoes! If not, I'd suggest one of these in order to save the heels of your feet! (Besides, 'it' is cool to have anyway! :D)
No pain. I drive barefoot in the summer and in socks in the winter. I haven't gotten an splinters yet. The wood is actually getting worn smooth by use...I hadn't noticed this until I pulled it out of the cokpit for the picture. Some pretty cool toys on that link...to bad not for PS2 and GT4 tho.

it does lock ;) 👍

but in a sense it doesn't matter...it's in an out of the way place...only accessible from the garage so noone much bothers me...it's just too inconvenient to come all the way down the stairs and into the garage (where it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter).

A couple of times I've thought about mounting a small air conditioner in the door. But I can't find one small enough and then there's the problem about the condensation....but I guess that would just run to the floor drain in the garage.

Latest Posts

Back