Mazda 3 MPS - very quick car?

SkylineObsession

Expert daydreamer
Premium
New Zealand
New Zealand
SkylineObsession
Mangosaurus
A friend of mine recently bragged onto me about having driven the Mazda 3 MPS - and said it was the fastest car he's ever driven. Which is saying something as he's recently driven all of the following;

His R32 Skyline GTS-t
FPV F6 Typhoon
Mazda 6 MPS
Mazda RX-8
Lancer EVO VI
And plenty more which i may not know about, possibly including an R33 GT-R (or he may just have been a passenger in that).

He works for the City Council and gets to drive all sorts of cars. Lucky bugger. :(

Has anyone here driven it? I've heard it spins the front wheels in second and/or third gear. :scared:

It has 270 lb-ft of torque, which is a bit much to channel through the front wheels. I've heard it's quick if you can get the tires to hook up--0-60 time is less than 6 seconds. I might test-drive one (and maybe buy it) in the near future.

Well the car has an LSD and is limited to around 230hp in 1st gear to limit wheelspin and torque steer. Either way, its been said to be one of the faster fwd drive cars out there. Heck It's a tad faster in a straight line than the RX8. Damn.. I didn't know the 'Speed 3 was quicker down the 1/4mile than the WRX.
Motor trend has a comparo betwen the 'Speed3 and the WRX in the newest issue. I'm a big fan of this car, If I had the money and wanted an FF car the 'Speed 3 would be my choice. Sadly they're only bringing 500 here to Canada, 250 red and 250 white and all the reds have been called for.
Haha, that CD article was good for a few chuckles.
CD
"This car also comes with Super LSD, which we were dismayed to learn is perfectly legal"
CD
"The Mazdaspeed 3 is only a bit less tricky to launch than a space shuttle
:lol:

Well the car is easily one of the fastest FWD cars in the 0-60 race, as the only thing that can beat that is the Chevrolet Impala SS at 5.3 seconds... Then there is of course the "geist" of the Caliber SRT-4 on the horizon, 300 BHP, and the knowlege of kick-ass development from those that brought us the origional Neon SRT-4.

Both the Mazdaspeed 3 and the 335i quickly have made it into my "Top 5 New Cars" list, but the introduction of the R32 next spring and the return of the Camaro will probably both bump those two off quite quick as well...

I'm drooling here... damn Ford! They cancelled their plans to bring in a limited run of Focus STs!!!

I hope they don't bail out on bringing in the Mz3 MPS... it's kinda a sparse performance landscape where all you have to choose from is the base WRX (235 hp only) and the Mitsubishi EVO (dealership sold without warranty... how bad is it at Mitsu again?)

Remember that Top Gear episode where Jeremy drives the VXR around and says it has too much power. This has even more power then that!

Last issue MOTOR magazine did a hot hatch comparison, I think this came 3rd after the Golf GTi and Focus XR5.

To me it (like an Astra VXR, GTi, Megane 225 etc) is pointless. That much power in a FWD is stupid.

Why produce a "sports car" and then make it FWD? All one will do is smoke the fronts and have limited handling ability. Rather save up and get a 130i or R32 👎

As noted before in other threads, clever engineering can remove the handicap posed by FWD setups with big power. General Motors did so when they designed the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, complete with a 303 BHP 5.3L V8. Although I'm certainly not going to give enough credit too all that went into the car, it was basically a game of playing with the front drivelines, and making the front wheels wider than those in the back. Somehow Pontiac managed to generate rather "average" handeling in the car, not a whole lot of torque steer, not too much of a tendancy to understeer, although it still happens.

...In a little pocket-rocket such as this, power turns into fun. Sure, it will torque steer like a monster, but even Mazda baked-in some clever engineering as well. As long as the wheels are straight, the computers will do its part to sort things out and keep the car on the right path. It is a pretty advanced car by comparison to the Astra VXR, or atleast that has been my understanding of the car, and thus I would expect a more "civilized" drive despite the fact it has more power.

There were rumors going about for a while, however, that said the Mazdaspeed 3 was going to recieve AWD at some point to compete with the WRX and Evolution. Although it is questionable that it will happen, as even rumors flew around the Caliber SRT-4 (300 BHP) having AWD as well... But, we will see...

Believe it or not, more than a million Mazda 3s have been built over the last three years. The small family hatchback has been a competent performer, despite lacking the sparkle of some of its rivals.

Things are changing with Mazda's new hot hatch, the 3 MPS. We sent Stuart Milne to Germany to put this 'bahnstormer through its paces ahead of its February launch.

No range of hatchbacks is complete without one offering blistering pace. Ford has the Focus ST; Volkswagen has the Golf GTi and R32, while Seat has the Leon FR.

To create the power today's practical petrolheads demand, it needs to look good, go fast and steer well. And a huge turbocharger is essential too.

With that in mind, I edged out on to the sunny Munich roads to see how it performed.

The first thing you notice is the MPS is a seriously quick car. Mazda state an official 0-62mph time of 6.1 seconds, but insiders admit it will blast to the UK standard 60mph in less than six seconds.

That's an identical time to the Lotus Elise.

Mazda 3 MPSNo speed limits

On the fabled speed limit-free autobahns, we were able to put the claimed top speed of 155mph to the test, with the MPS feeling stable and composed; if a little noisy.

The 3 MPS uses the same 2.3-litre, turbocharged engine as the 6 MPS, which means it packs a muscular 256bhp and a huge 280lb/ft of pulling power.

That's 31bhp and 44lb/ft more than the Focus ST; and it shows, with instant response to a prod of the accelerator regardless of which gear you're in.

At more sedate speeds, it's clear Mazda boffins have worked hard to make the 6's 260bhp usable through the front wheels.

Sadly it falls just short of our favourite fast hatch, the Focus ST with over light steering and a propensity to follow grooves and dips in the road under hard acceleration and braking.

The power can still catch the car sleeping if you pull away with the wheels pointing off-centre, leaving the electronic brain to pick up the pieces making the car wag like a bucking bronco.

The ride is good, considering the stiffened suspension and low profile tyres; although the road noise can get intrusive over uncared for surfaces.

At more sensible speeds, little of this emerges as a real issue. The hatch feels planted when powering through corners, with only a whiff of understeer. The lack of the-wheels-are-turned-but-I'm-still-going-straight sensation is thanks to some advanced chassis systems, which Mazda have worked hard on to maximise drivability.

Mazda 3 MPSGrip

As well as the de-rigeur traction control and dynamic stability control systems, the Mazda 3 MPS also packs sophisticated torque management systems to get the power down.

These systems vary the amount of grunt from the turbo to avoid too much power going through the front wheels at once, particularly in the first three gears. It can detect the angle of the steering wheels; if they're not straight, you won't get 100 per cent power.

A newly-developed limited slip differential helps to channel engine power to the wheel with most grip, while unequal length drive shafts help to control the MPS' wayward habits under full acceleration.

Mazda say it will cover around 29 miles per gallon, but drive it at pace and this figure drops. The real world consumption is likely to be governed by how much you can resist the adrenaline shot of vicious acceleration.

Parking up to get the shots of the car you can see here, I had the chance to survey the bodywork. It lacks the hardcore road-racer edge of the Focus ST, adopting a discreet, and vaguely menacing stance.

Like the Mazda 6 MPS we drove recently, the Three puts subtle looks at the top of its agenda.

It gets bespoke bumpers, side skirts and a rear spoiler, which as well as looking great, helps to improve aerodynamics and engine and brake cooling. Three under-floor panels have been adopted to help the MPS to slice is way through the air.

A set of pretty 18 inch multispoke alloys hang off the stiffened suspension, while its huge brakes do an excellent job of reigning in its huge performance.

Aficionados of modifying will revel in the huge baked bean-shaped exhaust, which has been tuned to deliver a racy sound. It looked slightly out of place on an otherwise restrained car to us.

Mazda 3 MPSFully loaded

But as us Brits like our hot hatches served with extra spice, Mazda will offer a £500 styling pack, which includes a larger spoiler and lowered suspension. Around 70 per cent of models are expected to be ordered with the pack.

The dashboard looks a lot like any other Three, save for some sporty pedals and chrome paraphernalia. Far better are the supportive seats, which have the MPS logo embroidered into the backs.

Our test car came with keyless entry, electric windows all round, electric mirrors, bright xenon headlamps, climate control, automatic lights and windscreen wipers and seatbelt warning buzzers.

Safety-wise, the MPS is equipped with driver, passenger, front side and front and rear curtain airbags and a host of driver-aiding acronyms such as ABS.

Brits love the combination of performance and practicality which hot hatches bring. The Three can swallow 290 litres worth of gear, rising to 1,465 litres with the seats folded. There was plenty of space around the cabin too, and a couple of obiligatory cup holders.

So, do we recommend the Mazda 3 MPS?

It’s one of the highest performing front wheel drivers in the world - and it's easy to drive fast. The prices are still to be announced, but it will fall between £19-20,000, and with more power than the £24,000 Golf R32, it's pretty good value.

The biggest problem the Mazda 3 MPS has is the Focus ST, which gets you 90 per cent of the MPS' ability for less money.

But if you want something different and discreet, the Mazda 3 MPS is well worth a look.

Could anyone tell my why it is MPS? MazdaSPeed would be MSP. Also pretty interesting in that article...

Calls to Mazda yielded tips: Pop the clutch at 2900 rpm, upshift at 6000 — redline is 6700 — and flat-shift through second and third (which means don’t lift at all — the mechanical equivalent of dropping a Steinway on the clutch and half-shafts and violating our test procedure).

“Don’t worry,” the engineers said, “it won’t break.”

It didn’t — even after painting the pavement Bridgestone black with more than 30 hole shots.

Flat shifting sixty times without a problem.

Could anyone tell my why it is MPS? MazdaSPeed would be MSP. Also pretty interesting in that article...

Thats pretty badass, I should pop by the local Mazda dealership and see if they have any.

Is this a better performer than the 'Speed6?

I guess they can co-exist considering the 6 is a mid-size (large family car) and the 3 is compact (small family car). Oh well, Its just another Evo competior, execpt better looking. :D

Could anyone tell my why it is MPS? MazdaSPeed would be MSP.

No offical explanation that I know of has ever been given by Mazda other than in America it is refered to as Mazdaspeed 3 or Mazdaspeed 6 (Interestingly there was a Mazda Protoge MPS a few years back...), while in Europe and the rest of the world it is the Mazda 3 MPS and Mazda 6 MPS. No reason, just different names for the same car that still carry the same weight. My guess is that in name-concious US, Mazda decided that Mazdaspeed sounded a bit "cooler."

Jesus, missed that. thirty 0-60 launches would be 60 flat-shifts... can I put one of those clutches in my Protege? Our stock sucks like crap... a Stage II NA build or even just 7 psi of boost and it starts crying "Mama!". :ouch:

RE: that much power in a front-driver?

Hell, who needs that much power in anything? Fighting a snarling, squirming b*tch like that at 10/10ths, whether it's FWD or RWD, is fun. Definitely no Evo competitor, but at the price, it'll make life very interesting for the Caliber, WRX (non-STi), Civic Si and Golf GTi.

Well the car apparently tears the GTI and Si a new one when it comes to high-performance driving, and I'm sure that the only thing comming down the pipe to really "kill it" would be the SRT-4. But dollar for dollar, there aren't many cars that can match the Mazdaspeed 3. Given that MSRP sticks it right around $23K, it pretty much undercuts most reasonably equipped GTIs, and sits in the same range of the Si.

...BTW: Now that the GTI comes with Launch Control in all US-Bound 2007s equipped with the DSG transmission, I'm begining to wonder what the 0-60 time would be cut down to...?

Well the car apparently tears the GTI and Si a new one when it comes to high-performance driving, and I'm sure that the only thing comming down the pipe to really "kill it" would be the SRT-4. But dollar for dollar, there aren't many cars that can match the Mazdaspeed 3. Given that MSRP sticks it right around $23K, it pretty much undercuts most reasonably equipped GTIs, and sits in the same range of the Si.

...BTW: Now that the GTI comes with Launch Control in all US-Bound 2007s equipped with the DSG transmission, I'm begining to wonder what the 0-60 time would be cut down to...?

Enough to be as fast as a 230hp hot hatch, untull you reach higher speeds ie breakin the law.

Back