Fuel Feed: Electronic Injection
Displacement: 2616 cc / 159.64 in³
Compression: 10.0:1
Power: 522.0 kw / 700 bhp @ 9000 rpm
Specific Output: 267.58 bhp per litre bhp/weight 843.37 bhp per tonne
Torque 608 nm / 448.4 ft lbs @ 6500 rpm
Body / Frame Aluminum Honeycomb Monocoque
Driven Wheels: RWD
Steering: Rack & Pinion f suspension Double Wishbones w/Inboard Spring-Damper Units r suspension Double Wishbones w/Inboard Spring-Damper Units
Curb Weight 830 kg / 1830 lbs
Wheelbase 2667 mm / 105.0 in length 4800 mm / 189.0 in width 1981 mm / 78.0 in height 1016 mm / 40.0 in
Transmission: March 5-Speed Manual
Read more at http://www.supercars.net/cars/5473.html#Wom83sO8LITwG8sX.99

1992-mazda-gtp-78-del-mar.jpg

After continued success in the IMSA GTU and IMSA GTO races with sports cars, Mazda entered the GTP prototype category with the RX7-92P. It was the ultimate version of an RX-7 intended to take overall victories against the factory Nissans and Toyotas. Unfortunately, the project was shelved in 1993 after only one season of development with very limited results.
84ad313683dba98215a0ba1202a76c6d.jpg

RX7-92P was an entirely new car that shared little from the 787B which won Le Mans and subsequently banned rotary engines in Europe. With an open door to IMSA GTP, Mazda USA, known as Mazda Motorsports, focused on the championship and began work in May of 1991 with a relatively small budget.
WM_Watkins_Glen-1992-06-28-078.jpg

In an attempt to market the car and increase the Series 3 RX-7's appeal, the new prototype was named after the road car and stylist/aerodynamicist Randy Wittine included several cues from the road car in the body. Little was able to translate to the race car which had distinctive cut-outs behind the front wheels.

Mazda-RX-792P_6.jpg

Ex Group-44 designer Lee Dykstra drew up the chassis for the car which was an aluminum honeycomb monocoque with inboard suspension. A steel subframe supported the R26B rotary engine that sent over 600 bhp to the rear wheels.

Two cars were built for Mazda Motorsports using chassis from Crawford Composites and assistance from Fabcar. Price Cobb and Pete Halsmer raced the car with little success in the 1992 season against the Eagle Toyotas and factory Nissans. Many mechanical problems hindered the team as did a small budget. The best result was a second place achieved Watkins Glen.

As the last Mazda prototype that didn't either blow up or doesn't actually exist, I really think this deserves its own place in GT6.

Last edited:
I should also add that both the #7, #77 and #78 are the same design except for lights (I think) and that this is for the car in general, although if the mods require I can change it to the #77 only.

...I like it, for some odd reasons.

Famine might find an issue or two with the thread title, though...

That is the championship that it was in...
Yes. I know. Now look at the guidelines and tell me what comes after "Make".
Also I am curious as to where it looks like an RX-7...
In an attempt to market the car and increase the Series 3 RX-7's appeal, the new prototype was named after the road car and stylist/aerodynamicist Randy Wittine included several cues from the road car in the body.
Edit: No, it's not the door number either...

Last edited:
There's already a thread for this car here https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/mazda-rx-792p-1992.300535/

I should also add that both the #7, #77 and #78 are the same design except for lights (I think) and that this is for the car in general, although if the mods require I can change it to the #77 only.
You could try and change this thread to suggest only 1 of the car but first you would need to set things up with CORRUPTEDDISC as his thread seems to suggest all the RX-792P's.

Specific racing model: [[Make] [Model] OR [[Chassis] [Engine]] [Series/Level if applicable] [Team] [Number/Drivers if applicable] [Year]
So...
Mazda RX-792P IMSA GT Championship Mazda Motorsports #77 1992? Is that fine? (sorry never suggested a race car before)

Specific racing model: [[Make] [Model] OR [[Chassis] [Engine]] [Series/Level if applicable] [Team] [Number/Drivers if applicable] [Year]
So...
Mazda RX-792P IMSA GT Championship Mazda Motorsports #77 1992? Is that fine? (sorry never suggested a race car before)

Its irrelevant really, since I already suggested it around a year ago.

Are you sure the search feature works... I literally searched "792" and got one result, not related.

Hi Thomas - Rather than use the search function, which I find very hit and miss, try using the alphabetic search - click once on the red title banner to start at Z and twice to start at A then just select the approximate page and scroll through.

...In my experience, as limited as it is, search function works, you just gotta prod it a little more.

After "searching" once, you gotta "search again", via another button on top left hand side of the list, just below "search results for xx" line. Otherwise you'll never find anything.

I am now suggesting a specific model... the #77. As far as I can guess I got it right the third time based on the guidelines, so that is the new title. (will remove the #78 picture).

I am now suggesting a specific model... the #77. As far as I can guess I got it right the third time based on the guidelines, so that is the new title. (will remove the #78 picture).

I already suggested the #77 car, and I don't plan on changing it since it was my original choice.

So, I think this thread should be locked or changed to the number #78.

Here's some pictures:
IMSA_RX_792P_WIP3_by_The_IC.jpg
1992-mazda-gtp-78-elkhart-lake.jpg

It's just my opinion.

Back