Mercedes-Benz 500 SLC Rally Car 1980

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 13 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

StarLight Garage presents a very rare rally car (almost unknown), the Mercedes-Benz 500 SLC Rally Car from 1980.
The winner of the 1980 Bandama Rally, Ivory Coast with Bjorn Waldegard behind the wheel.

687atj.jpg

The Mercedes-Benz Rally adventure is actually a very short one.

Mercedes-Benz campaigned the 500 SLCs for two seasons of international rallying, a team of SLCs cut quite a swathe through the dirt and gravel of far flung nations during the 1979 and 1980 seasons. The Safari Rally of Kenya, the Acropolis Rally etc. – the brawny SLCs ran them all and finished a creditable fourth in the 1980 World Rally Championship.

Famous pilots as Bjorn Waldegard, Hanu Mikkola and Andrew Cowan gave Mercedes in the years it still several victories and podium places in WRC rallies and other events.

The car has a 5L V8 aluminum engine with almost 300 hp and is fully adapted for the rally circuit. Apart from an automatic / semi-manual gearbox with 4 gears, the car also include features like a hydraulic handbrake, Reiger dampers, BBS monobloc rims and a FIA certified roll cage.

Mercedes-Benz usually painted their bonnets in a matt black, which was thought to reduce possible driver irritation through sun reflection. Otherwise the cars were just plain silver. Or more accurately silver or white, but with silver plus black bonnets being the more official colours.

The eventually best trick of Mercedes came when they wanted to compete for the WRC titles in 1981. They wanted a star line up and signed the reigning World Champion Walter Röhrl and Ari Vatanen for a full program - amazing team, really.

Then with days to go before the first event of the season, when in a phone call Röhrl informed the Mercedes Stuttgart bosses that in rallying wins are not always guaranteed, Mercedes pulled the plug and - while Ari could return to his old, private team - the reigning WRC Champion Röhrl was stranded without a drive as a result.

And that was the end of the Mercedes-Benz 500 SLC in the Rally World.

Specifications
Year: 1979-1980
Engine: 5 Liter V8/16 Valves
Displacement: 4973 cc
Drive: Rear-wheel drive
Power: 300 hp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 430 Nm @ 4000 rpm
Length: 4750 mm
Width: 1790 mm
Height: 1330 mm
Weight: 1395 kg

qno6c3.jpg

2gsfls1.jpg

2m798a1.jpg

THE OTHER MERCEDES ARE HERE

Last edited:
Yeah, it can be like a tribute to Björn Waldegård who died last Friday after a short time of (?) disease . Rest in peace

Anything that includes both 'Mercedes-Benz' and 'rally' in the title is sure to pique my curiosity.

It's a instant upvote from me as it's a mercedes rallycar.

To remember the loss of a great driver... RIP Mr. Waldegaard... :(

Thanks guys, for all your comments.
And cbarbosa thanks for the movie, an appreciated addition to the thread.
👍

I love the absurdity of this machine. I really can't imagine current Mercedes cars going on a rally, even A-class, but this, this is brilliant in so many level. Proves Germans DO have a great sense of humor.

Back