Mitsubishi Galant 2000 Turbo ECI 1980

• Thread starter Aero2000
  • 8 comments
Sweden
Sweden
SMH1989
1.jpg
2.jpg

This is the European version of the Japanese Galant Σ 2000 GSR Turbo, under the less sporty exterior is a more powerful version of the 2 liter turbo engine from the GSR hiding.

Powertrain: 1997 cc , Inline-4 , Turbo , 170 hp / 5500 rpm , 245 Nm / 3500 rpm , 5-speed manula

Dimensions: Length 4470 mm , Width 1680 mm , Height 1370 mm , Weight 1230 kg

Performance: Top speed 205 km/h , 0-100 km/h 8,4 sec

Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant#Fourth_generation

Other suggestions of Mitsubishi
Colt 1500 SS '66 , Colt Galant GTO MR '70 , Sapporo 2000 GSR '79 , Galant Σ 2000GSR Turbo '82 , Lancer EX 1800GSR Turbo '83 , Mirage Cyborg Turbo 4WD '89 , Eclipse GSR-4 (J) '91 , Mirage Asti RX Version-R '00

Last edited:
_wsb_730x546_IMG_2135+1.jpg

Powertrain: 1997 cc , Inline-4 , Turbo , 170 hp / 5500 rpm , 245 Nm / 3500 rpm , 5-speed manula

Dimensions: Length 4470 mm , Width 1680 mm , Height 1370 mm , Weight 1230 kg

Performance: Top speed 205 km/h , 0-100 km/h 8,4 sec

Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant#Fourth_generation

1982-galant-turbo-eci.jpg
Galant_sigma_4g_turbo.jpg
They sold the Galant here in Australia as the Sigma. People that don't like them call them Stigma :DThis looks a lot like the 3rd body shape we got. Never had the option of a Turbo with this one though.
Our choice was 2.0 or 2.6 four with either 5 speed manual or 3 speed auto.

They sold the Galant here in Australia as the Sigma. People that don't like them call them Stigma :DThis looks a lot like the 3rd body shape we got. Never had the option of a Turbo with this one though.
Our choice was 2.0 or 2.6 four with either 5 speed manual or 3 speed auto.
That's interesting, but what's "Stigma" means?

PD should add this Lancer along with the rally version that I suggested a few weeks ago...:)
Hehe I will made a Lancer thread too, but this is a Galant, but yes I understand what's you mean :)

That's interesting, but what's "Stigma" means?

Hehe I will made a Lancer thread too, but this is a Galant, but yes I understand what's you mean :)
The English definition of 'stigma' is: something shameful or disgraceful.

It's clearly not a compliment and follows the reputation the Sigma has here in Australia.
A Sigma is usually accompanied by the sound of a rattling timing chain and followed by a trail of blue oil smoke owing to Mitsubishi's substandard piston rings. It seems to me every Mitsubishi 4-cylinder made between the mid 1970's and mid 1990's trails blue oil smoke.

It's clearly not a compliment and follows the reputation the Sigma has here in Australia.
A Sigma is usually accompanied by the sound of a rattling timing chain and followed by a trail of blue oil smoke owing to Mitsubishi's substandard piston rings. It seems to me every Mitsubishi 4-cylinder made between the mid 1970's and mid 1990's trails blue oil smoke.
:lol: With other words it's not a very popular car down there? By the way, it's not so popular on this site either :P

:lol: With other words it's not a very popular car down there? By the way, it's not so popular on this site either :P
The 2.6 was a bored out version of the 2.0 and had a nasty habit of splitting the bores making the engine suitable as a boat anchor.

This model is a later 1980 one with sirius engine and a timing belt. Piston rings was not a problem in Europe. Maybe an Australian local content problem. The Australians kept using the old Astron engine with timing chain. Problem was the bushings of the balancer shafts wore out causing the timing chain to rattle and then snap. Only problem I know of with Mitsubishi is the early non-watercooled Turbos, heads on the early Diesels especially the Sirius and FWD and 4WD gearboxes (the bearings in them), oil smoke like all Japanese is due to valve seals that harden and starve over time.

The 2.6 was a bored out version of the 2.0 and had a nasty habit of splitting the bores making the engine suitable as a boat anchor.
In Europe we had the 2.6 for a brief time in the Pajero until the V6 came out. Some late German Starions had a 2.6 Turbo intercooler with cat. These were all later Astrons with belt

Last edited by a moderator:
Back