Mitsubishi teases RalliArt revival at the 2022 Tokyo Auto Salon.

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 14 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
Here. On one hand, it's a cross-over, but then again, Mitsubishi hasn't even made much resembling a sports car for some time, so I get that they'd want to work with one of their SUVs/cross-overs first. It also seems that the "RalliArt Style" is analogous to other "middle-stage" trims - or as I like to call them, "Charmeleon" trims - like the AMG Line seen in Mercedes-Benz models, or the N Line in Hyundai models.

Last edited:
Even before Mitsubishi was the Japanese dealer you went to when even the Nissan dealer denied your credit application, they were already cynically slapping Ralliart on cars that only sort of looked like cars that were actually good. They can tease it all they want, but it won't make the Eclipse Cross they slap it on any less hopeless.

To be clear, this is the image they teased a week or two ago:

ralliart-concept-car-teaser-img-01-1641921543.jpg

And the crowd went wild. But apparently this is what that was attached to:

ralliart-concept-car-ext-img-03-1641921580.jpg

Jfc.

That's honestly the most interesting news I've heard from them in a while and seeing a Ralliart kit on a SUV isn't that surprising. I'm honestly more surprised that they didn't try doing Ralliart styled SUVs much sooner considering Nissan and Toyota have kinda been doing just that since the late 2000s.

I probably would be okay with it, if this works and generates enough sales numbers for them to justify making a car truly worth attaching the ralliart badge to.

I feel like Mitsubishi is just assuming that nobody will buy a Lancer Ralliart (make it a WRX competitor but not stupid) or a new Evo which is ridiculous. They'll sell every one they make and then some. The people who can actually afford to buy those cars new are my age to 40-ish and know full well what the Ralliart and Evo names mean.

I feel like Mitsubishi is just assuming that nobody will buy a Lancer Ralliart (make it a WRX competitor but not stupid) or a new Evo which is ridiculous. They'll sell every one they make and then some. The people who can actually afford to buy those cars new are my age to 40-ish and know full well what the Ralliart and Evo names mean.
I doubt Mitsubishi would move more than 20k Lancers a year, even if they were really good. This market is begging for the other Mitsubishi though...the one that made Delicas & Pajeros. Mitsubishi needs to bring both names to the US Market - the Delica as a quirky EV van and the Pajero as a Bronco/Wrangler fighter with an actual motorsports backstory.

You're right that they wouldn't sell a lot because it's a niche market vehicle. But it's a halo vehicle that brings people into dealerships. Currently there is absolutely zero reason to ever visit a Mitsubishi dealership. But if they had an Evo sitting there - one last hoorah to the gas engine - next to a Montero, buddy. One of those two is getting sold if they're even as good as the old ones. One halo car and direct competitor to the STi and Type R, and one direct competitor to the 4Runner in particular which currently has no direct competition.

Last edited:
I thought they'd do something with the Outlander. No way will Mitsubishi bring back the Lancer Evolution.

I will gladly eat my words if this ages poorly.

The ASX sells here, like hotcakes or hot chips with chicken salt. A proper Ralliart ASX, that can maybe hang with the soon to drop GR Corolla, would be something special.
Moreso if they moved on the Mitsubishi Vision GT.

Moreso if they moved on the Mitsubishi Vision GT.
Considering that was a widened XR-PHEV and many of the regular XR-PHEV's visual features end up on the Eclipse Cross...

Also at this point Mitsubishi making something that is not a SUV is like asking Isuzu to do the same or to Sega to return to the console business.

Back