• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 13 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
This is a thread to discuss the impact the Sendai Earthquake has had or will have on racing. A lot of racing goes on in Japan, so I figured to open this thread to discuss racing in Japan from the impact of the earthquake and tsunami damage.

These are just random posts to get things going.

* I've read on a site called visordown.com that the MotoGP Japanese Grand Prix at Motegi will be postponed as there has been some reported track damage at Motegi. This will be the second-straight year that this race has been postponed or canceled. Last year, the race wasn't run because of the Iceland volcano and the travel havoc thereof. If you're talking Motegi, you also have to consider IndyCar's annual visit to Motegi. I am probably sure the potential damage will also impact racing the Motegi oval. Though that date is further away than the MotoGP race, it may still be something to consider.

* From another GTP thread, Ebisu has had some great damage. I saw and read about the damage from this Wrecked Magazine article. Scary.

* The only track I can immediately think of that may be the most threatened is Sugo in Miyagi Prefecture. I read (via Google Translate) that Sugo is indeed closed as inspection is still being done to see just how much damage has been sustained from the quake.

* The D1GP season was set to start in Odaiba for March 26, but I'm sure that will likely be either cancelled or (at least) delayed.

* The Super GT series' 2011 schedule starts at Okayama on the weekend of April 2nd. I just read from the Super GT's website that the official test session at Okayama has been cancelled in light of the earthquake. I read that the race will still go as planned for the planned date.

* I wonder about any Japan-based racing teams and if they can be able to run any full seasons in domestic (as in Japan) or international championships.

This thread is all about the motorsports impact this earthquake has or will have on racing in Japan. So feel free to contribute. It's a proper motorsports-focused post regarding the impact of the earthquake in Japan.

Honda's MotoGP team has admitted that this will affect parts supply later in the season.
Before anyone asks, it won't affect Indycar engine supply, as those Hondas are in fact re-badged Ilmor engines.

Takuma Sato will run with a special "Pray for Japan" livery at the upcomin Indycar test at Barber Motorsports Park.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kamui Koabyashi does the Australian Grand Prix with a black armband, or if Sauber run with black nosecones the way Ferrari did at Monza in 2001.

Okay. According to Speedhunters' Facebook fan page, all events at Tsukuba have been postponed until about April 5th. The D1GP round at Odaiba has been postponed (not canceled). I asked Bob Varsha on his Facebook fan page about the likelihood the Japanese GP will be run. He noted that Suzuka is very manageable, so I don't think the F1 Japanese Grand Prix will be canceled.

I'm not sure whether I'm worried more about races in Japan or racing teams/drivers in Japan. Japanese teams and drivers/riders will likely race with heavy hearts and lots of pride for any and all racing action this year.

Last edited:
Let me ask you all... do you think there is added pressure on Japanese drivers/riders and teams (especially in international and non-Japanese series) to win races and titles for their native people? You know, national pride?

I don't necessarily think there is too much of national pride on the line, but it would at least be some refreshing stories to hear of Japanese drivers/riders doing well this year in racing, perhaps giving Japanese race fans (as well as Japanese sports fans) something to cheer about in the wake of the quake. Think of folks like "Nitro Nori" Haga, Kamui Kobayashi, Takuma Sato, and folks like that.

But what do you think?

Let me ask you all... do you think there is added pressure on Japanese drivers/riders and teams (especially in international and non-Japanese series) to win races and titles for their native people? You know, national pride?

I don't necessarily think there is too much of national pride on the line, but it would at least be some refreshing stories to hear of Japanese drivers/riders doing well this year in racing, perhaps giving Japanese race fans (as well as Japanese sports fans) something to cheer about in the wake of the quake. Think of folks like "Nitro Nori" Haga, Kamui Kobayashi, Takuma Sato, and folks like that.

But what do you think?

i don't think so. they will have some extra motivation to do well but i don't necessarily think there is any added pressure to win

So...apparently, the earthquake destroyed the garages and in those garages were a couple cars, one of which was the infamous Team Orange Impreza WRX:

P1000832.JPG

tumblr_li0hlljND31qcmqt3o1_500.jpg

EDIT: Neither of the cars received major damage, luckily. Heck the Team Orange car seems like it's just missing some body pieces.

Looks like at least part of Ebisu had to undergo major renovations and repairs. I've not scene or heard the extent of damage to Tsukuba, save that it was hit hard, as well. I believe those were the only heavily hit circuits. Suzuka I think got a little shaking, but nothing to stop racing there.

I'm pretty sure there's been at least one time attack at Tsukuba since then...

And numerous other events and track days. 👍

Ebisu is in a much better state that it was, lots of snow drifting going on there at the minute. Pretty sure the ex-Kumakubo impreza is back up and running now too.

Isn't this old?

I'm pretty sure there's been at least one time attack at Tsukuba since then...

I know it's old. I just never heard that the Team Orange WRX had been at Ebisu when the earthquake hit, and haven't heard the status of the tracks that go damaged.

It sounds like Tsukuba has been back up and running for a while now and as Tommi mentioned, Ebisu is doing much better at events are again being held there. So...awesome sauce.

Also, I'm glad the cars that were damaged are back up and running, but again, from the articles I read, it sounded like the garage that surrounded them kept the vehicles relatively intact, which is surprising, but a good thing.

Back