My (unsolicited) advice to Sony/PD

• Thread starter Voodoovaj
  • 27 comments
Canada
London, Ontario
voodoovaj
I'll post this here because, sometimes, Sony listens. I have actually tried to reach out to people at Sony but they don't seem very talkative ;)

Obviously, let's talk credits and cars first. Any economy runs on supply and demand. There is an endless supply of the top tier cars in the game, and an endless supply of game credits. The question is demand. I think that they have decided to go after the extremely impatient with their (in Canadian dollars) $27 for 2,000,000 credits. Based on basic economics, what they should have done is the opposite. What they need to do, if they are going to continue down this route, is make purchasing credits so insanely inexpensive that buying them is the rational route, rather than the irrational route.

If, for instance, I could buy 2,000,000 for $2 (yes, still Canadian), I might consider that. $10 for 50,000,000, oh, well, YES, that seems WAY better in comparison. I'd be STUPID to buy 2mil for $2 when I could buy 50mil for $10!!!....That's how microtransactions are supposed to work, and why it's so profitable. I'm not sure who they allowed to come up with the current economy, but that person made a mistake. Seeing that the minimum wage is $15/hour (here), that is the minimum that my time is worth. Although I can see where the devs are coming from with these car prices, the fact of the matter is that this is not an blockchain/nft system, and there is no shortage of GT7 McLarens/Ferraris/etc. I can't get an ROI from these cars other than using them to get more credits. Literally everyone can have the highest price cars, so there is no rarity. This is simply a convenience/impatience situation.

Now, all this is only of value if there is a real game reason to support it. Stuff like limited events. Say a "Ferrari GTO Cup". On the GTS board, I lobbed the idea of making the single player races have multiplayer counterparts. They kind of did this by adding the "meeting place" but that's not what I meant. I meant that there should be an online, or hybrid human/AI version of the SP races. This would be that PERFECT situation. To get into this online event, you have to have to car. You can either grind for it, or lob a FEW extra dollars at PD. Add that to the dailies. Something.

Yes, I know there is more content coming, but this credit issue is a fatal flaw. It's a dark cloud that hovers over every moment of the game. I cringe every time I have to spend credits. "What, I need to buy RM tires?" "What, the transmission is not adjustable?"...Race A this week, and last week, are great examples of how I did not participate because of the credit issue. I hardly ever use the cart, so why buy it? If credits were more abundant, well, then I would totally blow them on the cart.

They've made the mistake of FORCING the player to spend credits rather than, the correct strategy, of ENCOURAGING players to spend credits.

None of what I am suggesting is difficult to implement. It is literally a few clicks in a script, and it would go a LONG way towards making this one of the better versions in the series.

My two cents....I had to get it out. The old game designer in me couldn't just let it lie without saying something.

If, for instance, I could buy 2,000,000 for $2 (yes, still Canadian), I might consider that. $10 for 50,000,000, oh, well, YES, that seems WAY better in comparison. I'd be STUPID to buy 2mil for $2 when I could buy 50mil for $10!!!
100% right, MTX should be more appealing or should go. Not that situation where we are articifially and constantly pushed to buy them, as if forcing us would work to get us buy insanely expensive MTX. You don't push customer to buy your expensive merch by offering them a very annoying alternative, you just push them to leave and look into what your competitors have to offer.

we need to wait.
No we don't, and it won't matter. The changes required will take PD a decade to accept (if ever), even though they have shown that they could have implemented it now.

Let me ask the question (again) that few if any have asked, what is the point of owning the most expensive cars in the game? If the entirety of the Hagerty collection did not exist in this game, would any aspect of the game be rendered unplayable? Nope.

Is anyone running a Hagerty only server online?

Single player has always been and will always be a novelty item. No matter how good AI is, humans will always consider it to be crap. If you can beat the Ai, then it's stupid, easy crap. If you cannot beat the AI, then it's cheating, difficult crap. There is no happy medium. GTS showed that racing against others is the way of the future for this franchise. In GT7, that focus has been diminished in lieu of car collection.

What SHOULD have been done, which I will say over and over, is multiplayer versions of the single player events, and add events that require those Hagerty cars.

Right now, regardless of how much fun a 400pp-450pp Sunday cap event would be, the public servers are full of GR3 and 700pp+ events. Why? Well, for one reason, the server settings are not as useful as they could be. I can't limit the manufacturers, or the years of the cars. We had more in GT5 than we have now. And, now, we have the "meeting place" which shows that PD COULD have made the single player events into multiplayer IF they had wanted to.

Then, they could have made a classic LeMans event for the 917, 2J, 330, etc. Oh snap, YES, I would want one of those cars to be able to get into that event. If they make something like that a daily event, it would fail, because why would anyone buy those cars for an event that might happen once in a year, or once ever? Many have asked about 1 make cup events, like the Porsche Cup at Spa. Imagine that being multiplayer!! Some people would spend the entirety of their GT7 experience in races like that, because they would be fun and unpredictable.

Those hero cars SHOULD be a sign of your success. In GT7, they are a sign of foolishness, because either A) you've spent good money for no good reason or B) you've wasted precious game credits that could be put to more beneficial use.

I disagree with this take. I don't want MTX to be tempting to me. Let the whales enjoy them. As far as I'm concerned they don't exist.
That's fine, but this isn't a "whales" style of MTX. This isn't a free to play game. And this isn't even a micro transaction. A "micro" transaction is supposed to be less than a dollar, even less than a cent.

On a philosophical level, this is really no different than buying DLC. $10 for a few extra cars...no biggie. But nearly $100 for a car?

That's predatory levels of payment. Ok, sure, it isn't $200 for a space ship (which was done) or $300,000 to "own" some part of the game. I mean, why go half way? Why not allow my to "buy" Trial Mountain for $250,000?

It's bad advice. Whoever game them this advice...it was bad advice.

Oh, and I should add, this is just what GT Sport was supposed to be, or GT Sport was supposed to be this. Either way, this game isn't really new. You can see that the bones of this game goes all the way back to GT5. This has been discussed, I know, but the cars we have now are mild updates to models made over a decade ago. It isn't "new" content. Much of it was made before.

What is actually "new" about GT7? The Porsche 917? And...? A few other cars? The renderer isn't really new. The physics are better, but I doubt that it is new.

Here's some pics from GT5, just to refresh everyone's memory, and maybe make people realize that what's we've paid for on PS4, and now PS5, is (in many ways) the same content we paid for way back in 2010. That they have the nerve to resell, what they have already sold us 3 times, is awful. That they are charging us near $100 for what we already bought, it worse.

Ahrweiler - Winter by Aj Marini, on Flickr

Jaguar copy by Aj Marini, on Flickr

Ahrweiler Gate by Aj Marini, on Flickr

Maybe they could populate our garage with the cars we already own from GTS.

That's fine, but this isn't a "whales" style of MTX. This isn't a free to play game. And this isn't even a micro transaction. A "micro" transaction is supposed to be less than a dollar, even less than a cent.

On a philosophical level, this is really no different than buying DLC. $10 for a few extra cars...no biggie. But nearly $100 for a car?

That's predatory levels of payment. Ok, sure, it isn't $200 for a space ship (which was done) or $300,000 to "own" some part of the game. I mean, why go half way? Why not allow my to "buy" Trial Mountain for $250,000?

It's bad advice. Whoever game them this advice...it was bad advice.
With due respect, we don't know it's bad advice. There are very well paid professionals who come up with these numbers and there are sophisticated tracking methods to prove they're working. Every whale pays for thousands of minnows.

I'll post this here because, sometimes, Sony listens. I have actually tried to reach out to people at Sony but they don't seem very talkative ;)

Obviously, let's talk credits and cars first. Any economy runs on supply and demand. There is an endless supply of the top tier cars in the game, and an endless supply of game credits. The question is demand. I think that they have decided to go after the extremely impatient with their (in Canadian dollars) $27 for 2,000,000 credits. Based on basic economics, what they should have done is the opposite. What they need to do, if they are going to continue down this route, is make purchasing credits so insanely inexpensive that buying them is the rational route, rather than the irrational route.

If, for instance, I could buy 2,000,000 for $2 (yes, still Canadian), I might consider that. $10 for 50,000,000, oh, well, YES, that seems WAY better in comparison. I'd be STUPID to buy 2mil for $2 when I could buy 50mil for $10!!!....That's how microtransactions are supposed to work, and why it's so profitable. I'm not sure who they allowed to come up with the current economy, but that person made a mistake. Seeing that the minimum wage is $15/hour (here), that is the minimum that my time is worth. Although I can see where the devs are coming from with these car prices, the fact of the matter is that this is not an blockchain/nft system, and there is no shortage of GT7 McLarens/Ferraris/etc. I can't get an ROI from these cars other than using them to get more credits. Literally everyone can have the highest price cars, so there is no rarity. This is simply a convenience/impatience situation.

Now, all this is only of value if there is a real game reason to support it. Stuff like limited events. Say a "Ferrari GTO Cup". On the GTS board, I lobbed the idea of making the single player races have multiplayer counterparts. They kind of did this by adding the "meeting place" but that's not what I meant. I meant that there should be an online, or hybrid human/AI version of the SP races. This would be that PERFECT situation. To get into this online event, you have to have to car. You can either grind for it, or lob a FEW extra dollars at PD. Add that to the dailies. Something.

Yes, I know there is more content coming, but this credit issue is a fatal flaw. It's a dark cloud that hovers over every moment of the game. I cringe every time I have to spend credits. "What, I need to buy RM tires?" "What, the transmission is not adjustable?"...Race A this week, and last week, are great examples of how I did not participate because of the credit issue. I hardly ever use the cart, so why buy it? If credits were more abundant, well, then I would totally blow them on the cart.

They've made the mistake of FORCING the player to spend credits rather than, the correct strategy, of ENCOURAGING players to spend credits.

None of what I am suggesting is difficult to implement. It is literally a few clicks in a script, and it would go a LONG way towards making this one of the better versions in the series.

My two cents....I had to get it out. The old game designer in me couldn't just let it lie without saying something.
one thing i really like about need for speed heat was the way the multiplayer races work. You pick any race that you completed in campaign and it puts a 2 min timer up to everyone in the same World/Lobby and they all can join so instead of 3 sport mode races a week that are competitive and fun theres hundreds of competitive racing events all day if not a thousand when the game was Newer

Oh, and I should add, this is just what GT Sport was supposed to be, or GT Sport was supposed to be this. Either way, this game isn't really new. You can see that the bones of this game goes all the way back to GT5. This has been discussed, I know, but the cars we have now are mild updates to models made over a decade ago. It isn't "new" content. Much of it was made before.
Couldn't agree more. So much of the content is just recycled, as you say all the way back from GT5. It's like PD stopped trying to make the best possible driving simulator and just went with being the best possible money generator.

With due respect, we don't know it's bad advice. There are very well paid professionals who come up with these numbers and there are sophisticated tracking methods to prove they're working. Every whale pays for thousands of minnows.
I used to be (some say I still am) one of those "well paid professionals", albeit not at Sony. This is, by any measure, the worst choice that they could have made. It is 100% bad advice. In F2P, whales pay for the game. Here, we have all paid for the game. The mtx is gravy.

Every game brings some "focus" to the table in the form of a new feature or collection of features. GT5 brought online. GT6 brought the new tire models and real time tessellation (to allow damage and more fluid transition of level of detail models). Gt6 was also the origin of GT Sport, because Sport Mode is just a rehash of the GT6 quick race. GTS really brought all those new cars, the penalty system, the DR/SR system, etc.

GT7 has brought us.......? A few new models and high paid access to models from the previous games. Again, this is not a F2P game. This is premium paid content. So, what did we all pay for? As with my OP, if I can toss a small amount of money to cut through the time it takes to earn credits, ok. But, they have taken (A LOT) of my money, and then put desirable content behind a quasi paywall.

You are correct in that they have a lot of data, and I suspect that data is showing a large number of people regressing to GTSport. The lobbies are like ghost towns. From what I have seen, the vast majority of lobbies are either empty or near empty. Multiplayer is the long tail of console games. Without it, your sales drop off a cliff rapidly. If people are not adopting GT7, then PD has a major issue.

This is the first time (because it has been the only time) that I did not upgrade my console to play the latest GT. I'm glad that I stuck by my PS4, because I'd be SUPER upset otherwise. And, if this direction is not walked back, I suspect that this might be the last GT.

"This too shall pass" is always a great statement to keep in mind. This uproar will go away in the near future, but the franchise will also go away at some point. One of these iterations will indeed be the final iteration. This would be a terrible way for this storied franchise to go out. I am hoping that humility triumphs over hubris.

Here's some pics from GT5, just to refresh everyone's memory, and maybe make people realize that what's we've paid for on PS4, and now PS5, is (in many ways) the same content we paid for way back in 2010. That they have the nerve to resell, what they have already sold us 3 times, is awful. That they are charging us near $100 for what we already bought, it worse.
Quoted for truth.

I used to be (some say I still am) one of those "well paid professionals", albeit not at Sony. This is, by any measure, the worst choice that they could have made. It is 100% bad advice. In F2P, whales pay for the game. Here, we have all paid for the game. The mtx is gravy.

Every game brings some "focus" to the table in the form of a new feature or collection of features. GT5 brought online. GT6 brought the new tire models and real time tessellation (to allow damage and more fluid transition of level of detail models). Gt6 was also the origin of GT Sport, because Sport Mode is just a rehash of the GT6 quick race. GTS really brought all those new cars, the penalty system, the DR/SR system, etc.

GT7 has brought us.......? A few new models and high paid access to models from the previous games. Again, this is not a F2P game. This is premium paid content. So, what did we all pay for? As with my OP, if I can toss a small amount of money to cut through the time it takes to earn credits, ok. But, they have taken (A LOT) of my money, and then put desirable content behind a quasi paywall.

You are correct in that they have a lot of data, and I suspect that data is showing a large number of people regressing to GTSport. The lobbies are like ghost towns. From what I have seen, the vast majority of lobbies are either empty or near empty. Multiplayer is the long tail of console games. Without it, your sales drop off a cliff rapidly. If people are not adopting GT7, then PD has a major issue.

This is the first time (because it has been the only time) that I did not upgrade my console to play the latest GT. I'm glad that I stuck by my PS4, because I'd be SUPER upset otherwise. And, if this direction is not walked back, I suspect that this might be the last GT.

"This too shall pass" is always a great statement to keep in mind. This uproar will go away in the near future, but the franchise will also go away at some point. One of these iterations will indeed be the final iteration. This would be a terrible way for this storied franchise to go out. I am hoping that humility triumphs over hubris.
I don't really know how to respond to any of this. We don't have the numbers all we have is the evidence that PD and Sony have priced it the way they have. It sadly doesn't matter to them that this isn't a F2P game. I agree 'this too shall pass' but I expect the franchise has enough gravitas to survive this current outrage. Gamers are fickle like that.

As such, I doubt that this is the worst choice they could have made by every measure.

I'm not sure who they allowed to come up with the current economy, but that person made a mistake. Seeing that the minimum wage is $15/hour (here), that is the minimum that my time is worth. Although I can see where the devs are coming from with these car prices, the fact of the matter is that this is not an blockchain/nft system, and there is no shortage of GT7 McLarens/Ferraris/etc. I can't get an ROI from these cars other than using them to get more credits. Literally everyone can have the highest price cars, so there is no rarity.
This is a frightening thought. Now that you mention it, it almost seems like PD + Sony planned to go this route originally. Everything is set up for a disgusting NFT/Blockchain (style) market. Honesty, the digital vehicle market is the perfect place to introduce this crap. Sony and PD looked at all the discourse about NFTs and decided to pull the plug last minute.

What a way to get people to pay absurd amounts of money on game..here you go there are 10 Alfa Romeo 8C Lungo Berlinettas (in the world....or even in your region). We'll sell one to you for 20mill...if you can beat the whales. IF not then you have to buy an absurd amount of credits from the store ('cause there's no way you're earning them in-game any time soon), to trade it with those whales who jack up the price.

This is a frightening thought. Now that you mention it, it almost seems like PD + Sony planned to go this route originally. Everything is set up for a disgusting NFT/Blockchain (style) market. Honesty, the digital vehicle market is the perfect place to introduce this crap. Sony and PD looked at all the discourse about NFTs and decided to pull the plug last minute.

What a way to get people to pay absurd amounts of money on game..here you go there are 10 Alfa Romeo 8C Lungo Berlinettas (in the world....or even in your region). We'll sell one to you for 20mill...if you can beat the whales. IF not then you have to buy an absurd amount of credits from the store ('cause there's no way you're earning them in-game any time soon), to trade it with those whales who jack up the price.
NFT and Blockchain are not "disgusting" IF there is a viable justification.

So, for instance, GT becomes a platform and it evolves from it's current 3-5 year generations to a 10 year life cycle. With the law of diminishing returns, this is a likely evolution. If I can buy credits, and I have TRUE ownership, then maybe this isn't terrible. It would need to mean that there is also true scarcity. So, there is a limit on the numbers of every single car in the game, and I can sell those cars to other players. NFT and Blockchain work if there is an actual economy behind it. Yes, some will hoard the best cars for profit and ruin the game, but like oil, the market price can be brought down by releasing more. BTW, I am not a proponent of this approach.

They've been going down this rabbit hole for a while, and there is plenty of economic evidence to say that it is, in some form, a good idea. However, this iteration is nothing more than a way to suck more cash out of the players for absolutely nothing.

Like racing cars requiring that you buy racing parts. Even the used car lot is a bit of a scam. If I buy a used McLaren 12C, and then recondition the chassis and engine, it costs me more than buying a new one.

They are trying to use the "boiling frog" approach. For this game, the attraction is the ability to use those cars. Ownership is trivial. They would be better served by including Gran Turismo with an enhanced PSN subscription. Pay an extra $5/month for PSN, and you get GT, and rather than iterations of GT, you just get constant updates.

That Alfa 8C Lungo is completely pointless after all. What would you do with it? In the real world, there is a concours event. In the game, NADA.

Here's something I think you can get behind.

The "meeting place" feature versus the "plus" events. Why did they make this choice? It's like they WANTED to make a multiplayer event among the single player events, but pulled the plug for some reason.

The meeting place is redundant since a player can enter the lobby and experience this.

The "plus" events could have been multiplayer. Set them up just like the dailies (on a timer). It would be SO GOOD. All the correct limits in place in terms of PP, tires, car selection, it could be great!! However, it's single player, so ..meh.. I did it to see what it was, and will probably never do it again.

Anyway, this is all just my tossing words to the wind in the hopes that someone who can do something, does do something.

Last edited:
And there's more.

I couldn't put my finger on it before now. I noticed that none of my friends have set some lap times in the dailies, so I went back to GTS for a moment, and it hit me. GT7 is lonely. I mean, it's PROFOUNDLY lonely.

In GTS, the main page has a little notification to take you to the news feed. The news feed is a little more prominent, whereas it's somewhat buried in GT7. This leads to the feeling that I am on my own. On top of that, this focus on collection is also lonely because it isn't about MY achievements. It's all about PD. They tell me when I can buy something. They give the invites. This collecting is not a product of any kind of progress like it had been in GT6. And, even so, I can't really show off my achievement anyway. The notifications are no longer front and center.

GT7 should be about the player's world. The player, and the player's friends. There should be notifications on who has been doing what on the front page of the game, not buried. I should know what my friends are up to. Are they in the lobbies? Are they in the dailies? Can I get matched up with them?

All these decisions are leading to a very, very lonely experience. In GT7, it's pretty common to see none of my friends online in a lobby, or setting a time in the dailies. I guess when people are playing, they are all focused on getting credits to get cool cars.

Yes, there's imbalances (some surprising ones) and other faults, but I can forgive those because no game is perfect. But GT7 is a lonely game. Instead of building the community more, they are working to tear it down.

It's sad. So much promise. So many good features and implementations but some game killing decisions have been made in the quest to grind money out of every player, even with the recent changes.

Last edited:
I like you voodoo. This thread is legendary
It'd be great if Sony liked me too. I mean, I know that someone at Sony reads these forums and reports back. I'm not that hard to get a hold of. I'd even be happy to be involved even in the "white label" sense (ergo, no credit listed).

Senior player Review :
Bad: After years of development, only add a few cars and old virtual tracks, Totally misfocus on: a) weather system b)virtual raceway c)classic cars d)unreasonable price system
Good: better picture and photo quality
Conclusion: Add more real popular circuits and cars as ACC does (race packages), Too many excellent sim racing games on the market,PD must adapt to player need instead of keeping their heritage.
Last, losing their player and market.
Nurburgring 24H.jpeg

Last edited:
Senior player Review :
Bad: After years of development, only add a few cars and old virtual tracks, Totally misfocus on: a) weather system b)virtual raceway c)classic cars d)unreasonable price system
Good: better picture and photo quality
Conclusion: Add more real popular circuits and cars as ACC does (race packages), Too many excellent sim racing games on the market,PD must adapt to player need instead of keeping their heritage.
Last, losing their player and market.
View attachment 1137929
I disagree to the "add more" because there's already too many cars that I don't use. Too many tracks that won't get played more than a handlful of times. More pure content isn't the answer. People ask for more because they aren't satisfied.

Case in point, they added more. The Ferrari FXXK is "more". The 917 is "more". Yet, they are irrelevant because the game is boring. It's well done boredom, but it's boring none the less. Boring and lonely.

Purposeful content is the answer

I'll expand a bit more in my ideas and give some examples.

- Make all "plus" races into multiplayer events.
- Add at least three "plus" events to all circuits 1 low pp, 1 medium pp, 1 high pp
- split these multiplayer "plus" events into 4 types. Type 1, No tuning, just PP limit. Type 2, full tuning with tire restrictions. Starting position is always random. DONE PERIOD. You're A+, you might start at the back. You're D, you might start on pole.

And I am going to put Type 3 and 4 as a separate thing. Type 3 should be shuffle racing. Shuffle the car (within PP limits) and Shuffle the PP limit/Category (all BoP/no Tuning). Imagine a Sunday Cup race at Le Mans or Suzuka with 450pp cars, all shuffled. It would be glorious and probably one of the most popular events. Type 4 is tuned shuffle. Same deal as type 3, but it shuffles through your garage, so you'd better have the cars ready to go :D.

Even easier, just take the single player events and have them cycle, weekly, on which ones are "plus" multiplayer. Then, there's no additional multiplayer only event. There's just a weekly refresh of multiplayer events at every track.

I'd also add "plus" championships. Same deal. Plus versions of what is already there. So, ya, multiple races with the same people. Same deal, cycle through which championship is "plus" multiplayer on a weekly basis.

Add shuffle championships as well! 2, 3, and 5 shuffled tracks, shuffled category and/or PP levels, shuffled cars for each race, and shuffled starting grid. For both single player and multiplayer.

Add multiplayer "Cup" races to the manufacturers. Cup races alternate between BoP and tuned, and the cars are cycled through weekly. Again, gives players a reason to go buy the cars AND a reason to tune them.

IMAGINE THAT. Imagine if every time you fired up the game, there was a plethora of multiplayer events to choose from, refreshing every week, instead of just 3. Don't like tuning? Race one of the many others. Don't like BoP? Again, try something else. There would be TONS to choose from daily. Worried about numbers? THAT is where a good AI comes in. Have AI fill the gaps so there is always a full field.

GT7 SHOULD have been the next step. Instead, the 25th anniversary version is a throwback to the 90's. Sorry, but racing against AI will ALWAYS be a look to the past. It doesn't matter how good AI is, it's always AI rather than a real person. It's always going to suck if it's too easy, suck if it's too hard, and suck even more if it drives like a human.

After 4 years of GTS, having GT7 show up and say "forget all that online stuff, go grind single player" seems like the worst possible choice. I'd add, implementing my idea gives more reason to go out and get those cars, adding value to their ownership.

And the kicker? None of what I propose requires much new work. All the core features are already in the game, and shuffling is trivial.

Last edited:
Taking advantage of the topic.

It seems to me that it was clear that PD always wanted to leave the GT franchise with its own glow, a game that could exist on its own, without any commercial ties to other environments. I think this was a mistake.

I think PD could have made commercial agreements with DTM, Super GT, SRO, WEC, IndyCar or even other national GT3 championships, like the Italian, Spanish and English league.

And apparently this is true. After all, several games manage to close deals and licenses with automakers and leagues, manage to deploy different cars and circuits, while PD is begging for one or another car or circuit throughout the useful life of its games.

If agreements in this sense were made, it would be possible to facilitate the inclusion of more current cars and championship circuits.

I once read that PD cannot add more than one car from a motorsport league. For example, just one DTM car, just one F1 car.

This is to avoid causing legal constraints with the motorsports leagues. So, currently, with the huge amount of
market competitors games that close commercial deals with these leagues, it only remains for PD to individually negotiate with the automaker the ticket for a car.

The exception is the cars from the Japanese leagues with which PD has a good relationship. But until when? Suddenly iRacing closes an exclusive deal with Super GT and Super Formula, and all that's left for PD is counting stars, VGTs and road cars.

Since PD has special relations with the FIA, it should have struck a strong commercial deal, for example added FIA GT World Cup 2018 (Macau track + car cast) in addition to the FIA WEC cars and circuits.

I believe that, with a good conversation, PD could close a deal with these motorsports brands and leagues. The game "Gran Turismo" would be an instrument to promote the brand.

Assetto Corsa and GT Challenge became very popular with the agreement they made. The principal winner was the game user who can enjoy current cars and season circuits.

Last edited:
Taking advantage of the topic.

It seems to me that it was clear that PD always wanted to leave the GT franchise with its own glow, a game that could exist on its own, without any commercial ties to other environments. I think this was a mistake.

I think PD could have made commercial agreements with DTM, Super GT, SRO, WEC, IndyCar or even other national GT3 championships, like the Italian, Spanish and English league.

And apparently this is true. After all, several games manage to close deals and licenses with automakers and leagues, manage to deploy different cars and circuits, while PD is begging for one or another car or circuit throughout the useful life of its games.

If agreements in this sense were made, it would be possible to facilitate the inclusion of more current cars and championship circuits.

I once read that PD cannot add more than one car from a motorsport league. For example, just one DTM car, just one F1 car.

This is to avoid causing legal constraints with the motorsports leagues. So, currently, with the huge amount of
market competitors games that close commercial deals with these leagues, it only remains for PD to individually negotiate with the automaker the ticket for a car.

The exception is the cars from the Japanese leagues with which PD has a good relationship. But until when? Suddenly iRacing closes an exclusive deal with Super GT and Super Formula, and all that's left for PD is counting stars, VGTs and road cars.

Since PD has special relations with the FIA, it should have struck a strong commercial deal, for example added FIA GT World Cup 2018 (Macau track + car cast) in addition to the FIA WEC cars and circuits.

I believe that, with a good conversation, PD could close a deal with these motorsports brands and leagues. The game "Gran Turismo" would be an instrument to promote the brand.

Assetto Corsa and GT Challenge became very popular with the agreement they made. The principal winner was the game user who can enjoy current cars and season circuits.
The problem is that we will never know the nature of the contracts. Every licensing agreement has it's good points and it's bad points for the people who pay for that license. Will Sony sell more copies of GT is they include more licensed race cars? Probably not. So why spend the money?

GT Sport made race cars desirable, but before that people barely used the racing cars. Race car lobbies were almost impossible to find. League with race cars were also difficult to find. GTS changed that because they hosted so many GR1, 2, 3, and 4 events.

That's another reason why I say dump the licensed Gr3, and GR4 cars and allow racing upgrades like in GT1 and GT2. Allow every car to be upgraded to a "touring car" with a few different class options.

Like, for real, since the beginning there have been levels to the upgrades. Now we have Sports. Club Sports, Semi-racing, and Racing, and extreme...WHY??? Create a reason for these upgrades!! Have "stock" races, have "sports" races for mild tuned cars, "club sports" for highly tuned cars, then 2 "racing" upgrades to replace Gr4 and Gr3, so any car can be converted to gr4 and gr3 spec, then an "extreme" upgrade for full drift parts, body kits, etc. What kills me is that this can be done RIGHT NOW WITH NO ADDITIONAL ART. All they need is a basic list of mandatory parts. So, for instance, GR4 gets all the semi racing parts, wide fenders, 18 Inch wheels with a limited width, and a small wing. GR3 would get slightly wider fenders, full race parts, 18" wheels (wider than the gr4) and a big wing.

Done - no license needed

Like, seriously, has anyone ever changed from full race transmission and suspension back down to the lower level parts? In 25 years?

It infuriates me because this is elementary stuff. Are they just bringing people off the street to plan these features?

Last edited:
I think we should all take a moment to be thankful for how poorly the MTX was implemented, imagine if they employed people who actually knew how to extract money from end users
If they had employed someone with experience, they would have told them how terrible of an idea this was.

I get the thought process. It's very difficult to keep the cash flowing past the initial purchase, so that is why MTX and DLC exist in the first place. The biggest issue is that they've employed it on content that many/most people have bought already. For instance, the F40. It's the same F40 that I bought in GT5, GT6, and GTS...now I am supposed to go buy credits, to buy it again, WHEN the game decides to make it available again.

It's ridiculous. A full priced game is not the place for this. Hell, they should have just said "give us $5 and we'll copy your garage over from GTS"...I bet many people would have gone for that.

Now, if they had a Tourist Trophy add on pack, oh hell YES, I would buy that. Maybe make the music mini-game an add on. Something like that.

I would literally kill someone for the chance to to have control over a live team and get this game back on track. I wish they'd reach out. They won't, ever, I know, but I still wish they would.

Latest Posts

Back