New Toyota Granvia

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 27 comments
Australia
Australia
SpacedustDaddy
Love it. Wife still wants the Renault Trafic Formula Edition though.

https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-granvia-2019-review-121045/

https://www.caradvice.com.au/798279/2020-toyota-granvia-vx-review/

Toyota_Granvia_1.jpg

191003_toyota_granvia_05.jpg

toyota-graniva-51545.jpg

otuvwuzhs2qsfujakqoq.jpg

I've posted some pictures of it in this thread. :lol:

The front-mounted engine design is very revolutionary compared to the cab-over-engine design of the outgoing model that it replaces.

I'm glad it's not an "import" per se. That it's officially available at Toyota dealerships. Sure to be some sweet body kits for it.

I'm sure the van is tough as nails, given that it's a Toyota. ;)

In some markets though, it conflicts with the petrol-powered Alphard. :D

I'm sure the van is tough as nails, given that it's a Toyota. ;)

In some markets though, it conflicts with the petrol-powered Alphard. :D
Don't know why the Alphard wasn't sold here. The Tarago was old.

Don't know why the Alphard wasn't sold here. The Tarago was old.
Probably because of its size? We could never know. :lol:

That said, I think the design of the Tarago reminds me of the current Fortuner because of the sleek and squinty headlamp and tail light design which were executed flawlessly and gave out a look that I somehow like.

But aside from its older models, the minivan was never offered with a turbocharged oil burner which became a bummer for some lol.

The 4-cylinder Odyssey still sells here. I had an '05 EX-L back in the states. Surprised many on the freeway with that V6. I think that would have sold well here with that amount of power. Still, a diesel is more in step with how people use vehicles for long travel. With the Granvia ranging from $65kAUD-$75kAUD, might give the Mercedes V-Class($75k-$90k) a run for its money.

And not to mention that owning the new van would be more hassle-free, too, in the long run compared to the V-class. ;)

I'm guessing there would be some children in the mix as well, so that would help out.

It doesn't look any worse than the average plane really, it won't be comfortable if you're tall or have long legs but for most people it'll probably be fine

I'm struggling to see the appeal for the average consumer. How does one actually use something like this in day-to-day life? It's not exactly chauffeur material (given apparent lack of a divider). And even with a divider, I'm not sure why one needs 4 seats (oriented like that) for a personal chauffeur vehicle. I'd think two rear seats would suffice (think S-class).

This looks more like an executive mass-transit type of vehicle. Picking up people on a business trip from their private jet, and ferrying them to their conference room or hotel suite. It might be nice in a corporate fleet, or as part of a government transport (kinda like how we misuse Suburbans for that in the states, especially in movies). But for personal use, where's the angle? I'm missing it completely.

I'm struggling to see the appeal for the average consumer. How does one actually use something like this in day-to-day life? It's not exactly chauffeur material (given apparent lack of a divider). And even with a divider, I'm not sure why one needs 4 seats (oriented like that) for a personal chauffeur vehicle. I'd think two rear seats would suffice (think S-class).

This looks more like an executive mass-transit type of vehicle. Picking up people on a business trip from their private jet, and ferrying them to their conference room or hotel suite. It might be nice in a corporate fleet, or as part of a government transport (kinda like how we misuse Suburbans for that in the states, especially in movies). But for personal use, where's the angle? I'm missing it completely.

When you want to go on a road trip with your buddies. And your buddies all happen to serve on the same executive board as you.

Kidding aside, I think your skepticism is valid. What's more interesting is that these, presumably, do sell, meaning that there is *some* personal use case for them...and I really want to know what it is.

I can definitely see it as as a business vehicle. However, vans here, in Australia, sell well for personal use. If I go by what I see on the road. One of the most popular imports, is the Elgrand(just as an example, 2005 model below):

nissan_elgrand_a1214888418b1853611_orig.jpg

DSCN5170__60658.1548738501.1280.1280.JPG

The Mercedes Vito(now V-Class):
mercedes-benz-v-class-2019-13-jgwv.jpg

mercedes-benz-v-class-2019-14-ijas.jpg

Hyundai i-max
y0SFEvLKTHuJEDKDn5T3

New LDV is popular
gallery_11.jpg

G10-People-Mover-Banner.jpg

The Toyotas have been more about commercial use. They're smart to bring a personal(more than personnel)luxury model in this segment, as the HiAce is a go to model for businesses. Like mentioned above, that price point and Toyota reliability(not to mention how long Toyota have been top sellers in Australia), I think people will buy it more for personal use.

I think the downside in the USA is, when I had my Odyssey, people want to call me up, only when it's time for them to move.:lol:

It doesn't look any worse than the average plane really, it won't be comfortable if you're tall or have long legs but for most people it'll probably be fine
Dude probably thought this was a full sized van. :lol:

I bet there's still more leg space inside that compared to an average minivan.

I strongly wonder why the Toyota Alphard is common in some Asian countries, like Japan or Singapore, more so compared to SUVs being sold there.

Dude probably thought this was a full sized van. :lol:

I bet there's still more leg space inside that compared to an average minivan.

I strongly wonder why the Toyota Alphard is common in some Asian countries, like Japan or Singapore, more so compared to SUVs being sold there.

If the mission is to carry multiple humans, a van is a far better tool than an SUV. Climbing into an SUV third row sucks and I don't really understand why 3-row SUVs even exist other than to be not-minivans.

If the mission is to carry multiple humans, a van is a far better tool than an SUV. Climbing into an SUV third row sucks and I don't really understand why 3-row SUVs even exist other than to be not-minivans.

I really didn't want to turn this into a vans vs. SUV thread. I get vans, I get SUVs. They're great. Especially when they have a pass through for getting into the 3rd row (which both can offer). I don't understand where this van fits in aside from commercial applications.

I was only responding to what he's trying to point out earlier. Of course, a van is definitely more ideal when it comes to passenger space. The only reason why a lot of SUVs these days are popular is because many people think they look good and rugged as well. But aside from that, I'm not sure.

I really didn't want to turn this into a vans vs. SUV thread. I get vans, I get SUVs. They're great. Especially when they have a pass through for getting into the 3rd row (which both can offer). I don't understand where this van fits in aside from commercial applications.
In other countries, they use this van in commercial applications too while the Alphard basically acts more like the upscale van. Problem is, the latter only has a petrol engine while this Hiace Granvia has a diesel powerplant so I suppose it's more practical in developing countries where the price of petrol is higher than diesel.

Oh don't get me wrong, I understand owning a van for personal use. I own one. I get it. I don't get this one.
The HiAce is mainly for commercial use. There is a market (here) for larger than minivan personal use. This Granvia finally joins the list of vehicles I posted above.

The HiAce is mainly for commercial use. There is a market (here) for larger than minivan personal use. This Granvia finally joins the list of vehicles I posted above.
And it's more similar to the Alphard, except that it's slightly larger and has a turbodiesel engine from the Hilux. :D

Oh don't get me wrong, I understand owning a van for personal use. I own one. I get it. I don't get this one.
That's because this is based on a Commercial van so your getting a Van with Fixed seats, personal vans like an Odyssey for example can fold to the floor and have 3 to a row, completely different type of thing here, this is like an Airport shuttle bus.

Back