Nvidia GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 Discussion

United States
Azle, TX
supermanfromazle
SanjiHimura
Over the last weekend, Nvidia from a ranch in Austin, TX, announced the next generation of GPUs that is running on the new Pascal architecture, the GTX 1080 and the GTX 1070. Both are offering speeds that are relatively faster than two GTX 980s running in SLI, and offers better performance per watt than the current graphics king, the GTX Titan X.

Let's get into specs, shall we?

Note: since this is more about the GTX 1080, I will offer more details about that card.

First the GTX 1080.

- The 1080 offers 8GB of GDDR5X RAM at 1.73Ghz at boost.
- It will perform at 9 TFLOPS, and is multi-projection, VR, NVIDIA Ansel, SLI, G-Sync, GameStream ready.
- It is DirectX 12 supported.
- It offers a maximum display resolution of 7680x4320 @ 60Hz.
- It offers HDMI 2.0b, DP 1.4 and DL-DVI connections
- It will support multi monitors.
- It consumes 180W with a 8pin connection. (500W supply is recommended)

The GTX 1070 offers 6.5 TFLOPS of performance, and 8GB of GDDR5 RAM.

Pricing:

The 1080 will set you back $599 USD for a regular edition and $699 for a Founders Edition. The 1070 will set you back $379 USD for a regular edition and $449 for a Founders Edition. It will appear that Nvidia is doing a staggered release on the cards, so the Founders Edition will release first.

Release Dates:

The 1080 will release in the US on May 27th, and the 1070 will release on June 10th.

Probably trading in my 970 for a 1070 later this year. Will wait for they are generally well available and prices come down a bit.

What I find most staggering about the new card is in this graph:

nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-performance-and-efficiency.png

It's crazy how technology is improving so fast. In a few years the GTX 1080 will also be obsolete. Looking at games these days I have no idea how they can look any better (besides obvious higher resolutions and VR).

I'm totally buying one of these new cards. I'm just not sure which one or when... But I'll do as much overtime I can until I do buy one, maybe I'll end up building a whole other PC. Maybe I'll make a HTPC out of my current one. Hmm.

@LeGeNd-1 those graphs mean nothing without context - what is 'performance', why isn't the GTX 960 the reference point, etc. So misleading!

I was actually surprised and excited when I read about the performance of the GTX 1080 and the (potential) performance of the GTX 1070. Unfortunately, the didn't reveal too much about the GTX 1070 other than that's "on par with the performance on the Titan X", which could eventually mean that we'll be able to hit (close to) 60fps @ 4k? And all of that for 379$? Holy 🤬

That kinda leaves me with a dilemma though. I'm contenplating whether I should go for a single 1080 or two 1070's. My case and PSU certainly would be able to handle the extra heat and with my planned upgrade to a 6700k and the switch to a M.2 NVMe drive I should (hopefully) be good in the PCIe lanes department as well.

But I'm definitely stoked about nVidia actually not just giving us the 10 - 20% performance increase and flexing their muscles a little bit!

This is good news, I wonder a little about the cooling but they seem to be a really good bang for the buck.

Don't! They've shown a demo running a GTX 1080 at a wopping 2.1GHz on the core and an effective 11GHz on the memory and they card ran under 100% load at 67°C on the reference cooler.

It is for this moment that I thank God for Cutting Edge Gamer. Lease a 980 now, get a 1080 when available.

Well this sure makes me feel good about my $700 980Ti purchase last summer...
In all seriousness though I hope to see some actual user benchmarks rather than comparing "theoretical" gains.

There is already some benchmark and at the same frequency the 980 ti was faster, however drivers aren't optimize yet. I'll try to find the article back.

1669309360.gif

In all seriousness though I hope to see some actual user benchmarks rather than comparing "theoretical" gains.

That certainly does stink but you had to expect it.
I mean, it happens with everything from computers to cars, it's just the price we pay for being at the top... There's always a fall. :( That said, just remember this event next time, it's part of what keeps me from jumping out of the window when I think about what I've spent on PCs in the past.

It's also the reason I'm far more interested in the 1070 and what AMD has to offer.
Fact is, I probably will not be gaming in 4k for at least another year (if not more). So at this point I'd be very happy with a GPU that could run any game I play at full max settings without dropping off 60fps (no more, no less). Locked in with vsync and frame rate cap on... :drool:

Btw, I'm currently running with an AMD gpu that only holds 35-50 fps on high settings in most games (environment makes all the difference and games like Planetside 2 are easy on me but The Division's outdoor fog kills my fps, indoors it's a different story lol).

That certainly does stink but you had to expect it.
I mean, it happens with everything from computers to cars, it's just the price we pay for being at the top... There's always a fall. :( That said, just remember this event next time, it's part of what keeps me from jumping out of the window when I think about what I've spent on PCs in the past.

It's also the reason I'm far more interested in the 1070 and what AMD has to offer.
Fact is, I probably will not be gaming in 4k for at least another year (if not more). So at this point I'd be very happy with a GPU that could run any game I play at full max settings without dropping off 60fps (no more, no less). Locked in with vsync and frame rate cap on... :drool:

Btw, I'm currently running with an AMD gpu that only holds 35-50 fps on high settings in most games (environment makes all the difference and games like Planetside 2 are easy on me but The Division's outdoor fog kills my fps, indoors it's a different story lol).

Yes I knew it was coming :lol:

But I don't plan on doing 4K gaming for a while (or at least until monitors come down in price), so for triple screen 1080p gaming and VR the 980Ti should still last me a good long while.

Yes I knew it was coming :lol:

But I don't plan on doing 4K gaming for a while (or at least until monitors come down in price), so for triple screen 1080p gaming and VR the 980Ti should still last me a good long while.

Agreed and at least you will do some VR on top of it all... I'm too old and have too many experiences with "VR" through the ages to believe this sort of VR will be any different. I play games like I drink, not every day but when I do I go all out! :lol: jk.
But to some extent that's true, raiding in wow for 4 hours straight over the years, playing the division for hours on end, or even my recent binge of FO4 with crazy sittings like 6 hours in a day just aren't possible with something like a VR headset.

Fact is, I like my games on my monitor/TV... If I wanted to see my TV 3 inches from my face I'd just sit closer.

I'm in a similar boat - regular 980, though.

Good thing is, I don't have the cash to upgrade from 1080p, anyway, so the 980 might just last me until I finish university (at which point I'll reward myself with an entirely new rig :D).

I was thinking that the 1070 might be a nice upgrade from my GTX 780.

I am still maxing out everything on this card at 1080p. So I see no point in doing so. Then again, I could go 1440p and max out everything with a 1070...

I've been looking at monitors today, I think the Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144Hz with Nvidia G-Sync) is probably the one... But I'll need a new card for that. Also a friend is buying most of my current PC off me for £350 which is going on a new build - 6700K, 16GB of DDR4 and the same level motherboard I have now (an Asus Z170M-Plus, replacing my Z97M-Plus), making a nice home for a new Pascal card. It'll probably be a couple of months, though, not least because the 1070 is going to be hard to actually get my hands on near release.

Review embargo is lifted tomorrow (Anandtech of course)!! Wallet is ready. Going to grab a 1080 along with a Gigabyte X99P SLI when AIBs versions are released.

I'm not interested in the slightest. My R9 390 so far is capable of maxing out or just turning down a few things so not exactly max settings on every recent game I have played at 1080P and is definitely capable of 60FPS in those titles. I will probably wait at least until Vega. Not becasue I am a AMD fanboy but I need to upgrade my cpu before my gpu and by the time I do that Vega should be out/coming out soon and even then I will might just keep my R9 390 to get my money's worth out of it.

My R9 390 so far is capable of maxing out or just turning down a few things so not exactly max settings on every recent game I have played at 1080P and is definitely capable of 60FPS in those titles.

I think pretty much all gaming cards can do 1080p at 60Hz just fine now, my GTX 960 can make GTA V look really good for a 2GB card... But when it comes to higher resolutions or higher refresh rates they'll start to struggle. These new 10-series cards are almost directly responding to the high requirements of VR headsets, so if you're not planning on upgrading your monitor you can safely ignore them.

neema_t is going to enjoy that 6700k :D

I will probably go for one of the models. Not decided yet. My 970 is still running strong, but the 3.5gb struggles on some games running on ultra as it's maxing out the Memory (Rise of the TR as exemple).

I also still play on a 120Hz 1080p Screen. Desktop triple screen (27" for game, surround 24")

I plan to upgrade to one of that 32:9 screens. But I will wait till it ticks off all the right boxes:
>120Hz, min 1440p, min 32", IPS/VA with fast refresh rate (on the panel, not interpolation gimmickery), not 1000€

Probably still a long wait for me than :lol: . But I can use the faster cards, and if it's only for the Adobe suite....

It's crazy how technology is improving so fast. In a few years the GTX 1080 will also be obsolete.

It maybe a few years before it's gone but it will only take minutes before it's already outdated.

From what I have seen in TITAN X benchmarks on youtube

If 1070 is going to provide TITAN X performance or slightly faster in some titles (inc newer DX12) then full eye candy 1080p 60Hz with max AA etc will not be an issue for just about all games. It will however not manage 120 + FPS with all titles for those with 120Hz monitors.

1080 seems to be in the same situation with 4K in that some titles it still wont manage max eyecandy and 60Hz so people will still do SLI that perhaps want to achieve above the single card limits and some will likely consider dual 1070 over a 1080. Then you also have the 3x 1070 vs dual 1080 factor.

They have not said much about the 1070 performance yet and I have a feeling it could be the choice some will prefer but time will tell.

I really hope that Polaris is faster than 1070 as it would be good for AMD but if so then what to buy, mmmmmm. Patience is needed and to see if what the other big name brands bring in overclocked editions.

Having seen the specs of the 1070 and performance of the 1080 I'm suddenly feeling very motivated to save up for the latter - seeing as how I want to run a 1440p 144Hz monitor with it, it sounds like the 1080 is just about good enough for that with high settings. As an aside: having seen the price of some monitors, what they're asking for a Vive suddenly seems very reasonable!

Yeah monitor prices are insane on some specs.

My 3D monitor was the most expensive at 500bucks. But seeing some for well over a 1000.... no....

In games I dont care for full sRBG, colour correctness,.... a TN panel for gaming is just fine by me....

Back