Opinions on the Nissan 350z

  • Thread starter Thread starter kensei
  • 79 comments
  • 4,794 views
Messages
1,481
Messages
Tetradic
So I test drove one a few weeks ago. I've been test driving cars for 2 years now in the search for my new car. I fell in love with it, unlike any other car I've test driven besides the WRX. My wife even liked it. I've read consumer reports and various sites and magazines about the 350z. What I am looking for is real world feedback. Anyone here own one?

My one and only drawback is since it is an FR car how it behaves in the snow. I did grow up driving FR cars in the snow, learned to drive that way. With the right tires it shouldn't be THAT bad...or is it?
 
If you want a 4WD 350Z, there is no such thing. But how about a 4WD G35? Yeah. The Infiniti G35x (4WD) has the same 4WD system as the famous Skyline GTR.

I think the 350Z is very nice indeed. My cousin has one, it looks and feels great.
 
Well I cant tell you much about snow seeing as I live in arizona, one problem you might run into is that it may be a little low. Other than that I see no problems. The Z itself is an awesome car, from what I've seen driving it is no problem (other than a bad case of leadfoot) the seats are comfortable, not very much trunk room but then again its a sports car not a SUV. The early models had some issues with tire wear but thats covered and repaired for free. It looks and sounds awesome and I highly suggest it. 👍
 
rollazn
If you want a 4WD 350Z, there is no such thing. But how about a 4WD G35? Yeah. The Infiniti G35x (4WD) has the same 4WD system as the famous Skyline GTR.

The AWD is only available on the 4-door G35, not the G35 Coupe.
 
My cousin owns one. Got it used for about 30 grand only 3500 miles and all the options were on the car i think. He likes it and he is one of them damn street racers so I really dont get time to talk to him plus he is probably at college parties. BTW this is not the one with the GX470.
 
rollazn
If you want a 4WD 350Z, there is no such thing. But how about a 4WD G35? Yeah. The Infiniti G35x (4WD) has the same 4WD system as the famous Skyline GTR.

I think the 350Z is very nice indeed. My cousin has one, it looks and feels great.

See. My love of the skyline is what got me looking at Nissan in the first place. I have yet to drive the g35, but it is on my list. I know that car is sold as the "skyline coupe" in some contries (right?) and alot of it's guts come from the Skylines...and I prefer the body of the g35 to th Z....it is slightly over my price cap though. Maybe a used g35....hmmmm....

In reality I only would need to drive the car in snow a few months a year. I live in NYC, soon to be moving to San Francisco. So the only time the car would see snow outside of NYC is when I go to the mountains to ski....

I also want the car for track days...if the g35 is mostly skyline it sounds pretty good... but so does the FR 350z....

Importing an R34 is a touch out of my price range, but is ultimately what I'd love to do.
 
kensei
See. My love of the skyline is what got me looking at Nissan in the first place. I have yet to drive the g35, but it is on my list. I know that car is sold as the "skyline coupe" in some contries (right?) and alot of it's guts come from the Skylines...and I prefer the body of the g35 to th Z....it is slightly over my price cap though. Maybe a used g35....hmmmm....

In reality I only would need to drive the car in snow a few months a year. I live in NYC, soon to be moving to San Francisco. So the only time the car would see snow outside of NYC is when I go to the mountains to ski....

I also want the car for track days...if the g35 is mostly skyline it sounds pretty good... but so does the FR 350z....

Importing an R34 is a touch out of my price range, but is ultimately what I'd love to do.

What exactly is your price range? You stated that you might want 4WD vehicle so, I have made up some lists that I think would be good competitor for the Nissan 350Z. I am not sure if you are still up to consider something else, or what-ever, but these cars I would also consider.

Nissan 350Z
Infiniti G35 Coupe or Sedan
Infiniti G35x Sedan
Subaru WRX STi
Subaru Legacy

Those cars are all in the 30 grand area. The Legacy is a tad cheaper. Depends on what you want.
 
kensei
My one and only drawback is since it is an FR car how it behaves in the snow. I did grow up driving FR cars in the snow, learned to drive that way. With the right tires it shouldn't be THAT bad...or is it?

Sounds like you'll be fine then :)
 
kensei
See. My love of the skyline is what got me looking at Nissan in the first place. I have yet to drive the g35, but it is on my list. I know that car is sold as the "skyline coupe" in some contries (right?) and alot of it's guts come from the Skylines...and I prefer the body of the g35 to th Z....it is slightly over my price cap though. Maybe a used g35....hmmmm....

In reality I only would need to drive the car in snow a few months a year. I live in NYC, soon to be moving to San Francisco. So the only time the car would see snow outside of NYC is when I go to the mountains to ski....

I also want the car for track days...if the g35 is mostly skyline it sounds pretty good... but so does the FR 350z....

Importing an R34 is a touch out of my price range, but is ultimately what I'd love to do.

with snow tires, the car drives fine.
G35 is excactly a V35 Skyline in japan, just badges difference. and different side of steering.
 
If your looking at the 350Z maybe you should drop by the local Mazda dealership and take a look at there RX-8, they seem to be more comfortable, and more driver friendly. It'd also fair better on the snow, since its lighter and has 50/50 weight distribution.
 
I doubt it. 350Z should fair better in the snowy conditions, if you change the tires. The RX8 is too light and nimble, on snowy grounds it will spin and oversteer easier, at least this is what I think.
 
My budget is 30k'ish, prefer closer to 25k'ish. The base 350z if 26k, could probably find a used one for less, as well as the g35.

I was looking at the WRX, not the STI...that is more car than I need/want.

I don't really have to have a AWD car or specifically need one. I also looking at the Mini S and VW GTI both FF.

The thing is is that I really fell in love with the 350z on the test drive. The road was wet and the car felt very stable. Not that I pushed it or have that real life driving skill (this isn't GT we were talking about)...but the car felt silky smooth and bomber stable.

I don't care for the RX8 much, in game or real life. Though I am planning on test driving it. I do like the Miata but don't want and open car...if I was going to go that route I'd look for a good used Porsche Boxster.

I've also considered and Audi A4. I've driven one quite a bit, a 01 model, and it is a nice solid car...though rather boring.

Whatever car I get will be used for daily driving, long distance driving, and track days....the Z car has everything I could want...but the g35 is skyline ... gotta test drive that one.
 
I'd go with a used G35 if you can, Marginally slower than the Z but more comfortable :) Or wait till 2007 and make a nice payment on a GTR :)
 
The G35 coupe 4WD is coming to dearlerships soon, from what I've heard.
 
kensei
Importing an R34 is a touch out of my price range, but is ultimately what I'd love to do.

Have you considered importing an R33 or R32 GTR? I heard that you can import an R32 GTR for around $30k. If your thinking of taking a car on the track, the GTR is a great option....Even the R32 has the 4WD system so that will also be helpful in snow. The only downside is that the interior of both GTR's is extremely out of date compared to a 350Z. One other issue is that there is no High Octane 100 or 98 in America. If you feed a GTR HO91 it'll lead to engine knock. As for the GTR, I would get one here, but in Australia they cost $60k +! Damn dodgy AUD.
 
Akina Racer
Have you considered importing an R33 or R32 GTR? I heard that you can import an R32 GTR for around $30k. If your thinking of taking a car on the track, the GTR is a great option....Even the R32 has the 4WD system so that will also be helpful in snow. The only downside is that the interior of both GTR's is extremely out of date compared to a 350Z. One other issue is that there is no High Octane 100 or 98 in America. If you feed a GTR HO91 it'll lead to engine knock. As for the GTR, I would get one here, but in Australia they cost $60k +! Damn dodgy AUD.

I 'm a huge fan of the R32 or R33. I love the R34 and some of the much older skylines....
 
I have an R33 gtst and it is a great car. It doesnt have a twin turbo, .1 of a litre bigger engine or 4WD but it is still fast with good handling. The thing that I like about the GTR's is the wider rear flares...mmmmm phat...
Anyway, you should test drive the RX-8 which someone mentioned earlier. It won car of the year in an Australian magazine called Wheels. The thing is, if you want to get power out of it you really have to rev it all the way to the redline. As for the G35, it doesnt appear to be a track car like the RB models were and instead just a daily driver.

EDIT: I read in a magazine that Nissan are releasing a US only 35th Anniversary 350Z which has 17kw extra, 18inch 5 spoke alloys and will be available in 3 colours; Ultra Yellow, Super Black and Silverstone. Heres a crappy webcam shot of the picture.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 21.jpg
    Picture 21.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 32
Akina Racer
I have an R33 gtst and it is a great car. It doesnt have a twin turbo, .1 of a litre bigger engine or 4WD but it is still fast with good handling. The thing that I like about the GTR's is the wider rear flares...mmmmm phat...
Anyway, you should test drive the RX-8 which someone mentioned earlier. It won car of the year in an Australian magazine called Wheels. The thing is, if you want to get power out of it you really have to rev it all the way to the redline. As for the G35, it doesnt appear to be a track car like the RB models were and instead just a daily driver.

EDIT: I read in a magazine that Nissan are releasing a US only 35th Anniversary 350Z which has 17kw extra, 18inch 5 spoke alloys and will be available in 3 colours; Ultra Yellow, Super Black and Silverstone. Heres a crappy webcam shot of the picture.

hahaha....nice picture. :-P

There is a thread about that in the GT4 board. Plus the dealer I went to told me about it. I'm jsut looking at the base model...hahaha.
 
ND4SPD
If your looking at the 350Z maybe you should drop by the local Mazda dealership and take a look at there RX-8, they seem to be more comfortable, and more driver friendly. It'd also fair better on the snow, since its lighter and has 50/50 weight distribution.
The RX-8 is actually underpowered. This was proven and mazda was giving discounts. The Z has more torque so its better for traffic driving. Just get snow tires, and you will notice a huge difference. If not, upgrade your looks with some 19's width 8.5 in the rear or bigger.The Z also has NISMO upgrades and a twin turbo setup from Greddy i believe!
 
The 350Z can't compare to the 240Z looks-wise. But that's completely irrelevant.
 
240Z
The 350Z can't compare to the 240Z looks-wise. But that's completely irrelevant.

I like the old Datsun Zs quite a bit.

When I was young, this was circe 1980'ish, I remember my brother-in-law had one. I was only 6 then but it is the first car I can really remember ever riding in. It was an red/orange color with a tan'ish interior. I loved riding in that car. When I turned 16 and wanted my first car I asked him about what happened to it. Turned out it was sitting in farmers back yard, out behind the barn. We went and looked at it, priced out how much it would cost to get it running...turned out it was way more than I had. 15 years later I bet it is still sitting in the same place, though in much worst condition.

I do prefer the new 350z aesthetically though.

:-)
 
240Z
Where is it? I'm desprate for spares! :dunce:

If it still exists it is in Upstate NY buried under 2' of mud, 1 foot of snow and 2" of ice right now..

I'll ask about it over the weekend and report back what I find out.
 
Ugh...
I don't need tan interior pieces that badly.


Small cheeseburgers pwn.
 
No one, likes the RX-8 over the big clunky less agile 350Z?
 
RX-8 seems like the bigger, clunkier one to me. I'll wait for the new RX-7 thankyouverymuch.
 
If you've recently bought a Nissan 350Z then don't test drive an RX-8 and disassociate yourself with anyone that owns one. It will only make you cry. RX-8 pricing is as keen as the razorsharp handling. The competition is left in the RX-8's dust on all fronts. The most obvious car to compare it to is Nissan's 350Z which is a fantastic drive but doesn't come close to the RX-8 when the chips are down.
The styling of the Nissan still makes me chuckle, especially those goofy door handles, while the RX-8 seduces you with its stance and character.
The Nissan makes do with a V6 that seems unfussed but ordinary in comparison. Perhaps the closest you'll find is the 350Z but the RX-8 might pull a few drivers away from other marques as well.

Although it has been proved by car and driver, by putting an RX-8 against the Z on the track, the 8 gains the advantage when it comes to the twistys, and on the straightaway, the Z's power shows. Either way, both are great vehicles, but I suggest test driving both, before making a decision.:)
I dunno, to each his own. Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to cars, so you can stick to the Z while I stick with the 8.:)
 
The taillights on the RX-8 seem kinda goofy to me, and it looks like a flattened frog (and that awful factory body kit-:yuck: ). I just don't like the 4-door idea, anyway.

But, like you said, to each his own. :)
 
ND4SPD
If you've recently bought a Nissan 350Z then don't test drive an RX-8 and disassociate yourself with anyone that owns one


If I just bought a Nissan 350Z, I wouldn’t even want to test drive Mazda’s RX-8. Why would I want to? The Nissan 350Z is the better car all around. People seem to think the Nissan handles like crap, and it don’t. Overall I personally think for the money, the 350Z is a way better buy.

ND4SPD
It will only make you cry

Due to how hideous the taillights are. I am not too fond of that, or the all around looks of the Mazda RX-8.

ND4SPD
RX-8 pricing is as keen as the razorsharp handling

Ha-ha! The manual RX-8 is priced around 26 and that is base without any options. It isn’t that great especially with the amount of power and torque you get. I won’t say anything on the handling though, due to it is probably one of the best handling production car under $ 30,000. The Honda S2000 (A little over $ 30,000) will handle just as good as the RX-8 and can out-perform it on the straights.

ND4SPD
The competition is left in the RX-8's dust on all fronts. The most obvious car to compare it to is Nissan's 350Z which is a fantastic drive but doesn't come close to the RX-8 when the chips are down.

Ha-ha!!! You haven’t done your researching at all. You can’t say the RX-8 is faster than all of its competition, which it is not. It may be faster than some cars in some aspect but not all. I don’t know how you are judging what you just said. I know a lot of areas where the RX-8 are beaten by its competitor. There are other cars that can destroy the RX-8 on the straights… and there are others that can handle just as well as the RX-8 all in it’s own class. You’re funny.

ND4SPD
The most obvious car to compare it to is Nissan's 350Z which is a fantastic drive but doesn't come close to the RX-8 when the chips are down.

I strongly disagree, but of course, majority of your post are opinions. Therefore I can only disagree.

ND4SPD
The styling of the Nissan still makes me chuckle, especially those goofy door handles, while the RX-8 seduces you with its stance and character

Once again this is all opinion. I think the door handle is just fine. Have you even been near or in a 350Z? My cousin has one, I rode in it. Not one MAJOR downfall I can think of. There are minor like any other cars ever made. I think the RX-8 has horrible style doors, ugly taillights and all around not as attractive as the Z. (Opinion)
ND4SPD
.Although it has been proved by car and driver, by putting an RX-8 against the Z on the track, the 8 gains the advantage when it comes to the twistys, and on the straightaway, the Z's power shows. Either way, both are great vehicles, but I suggest test driving both, before making a decision.:)
I dunno, to each his own. Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to cars, so you can stick to the Z while I stick with the 8.:)

Never use Car and Driver as evidence, which is absurd. But I do agree that the RX-8 can out-handle the Z, but try to put it up against the Honda S2000. Now let’s see how hard it will be to out handling the S. They both handle about the same, both just as good in the twisty. And the Honda S2000 has a little more power too.

It may seems like I have a stick up my ass, but I am just bored. Ha-ha.
 
:lol: I understand, actually, everything but the last part, was all quoted from a magazine.
 
Back