Opinions please: Will these upgrades require a new PSU?

• Thread starter Tyger
  • 12 comments
United Kingdom
UK
ReTyger
So I have a Dell i7 2600 3.4ghz, 12GB RAM with a relatively lowly GX560Ti. Hoping to update to a 750 such as this one (wish I could afford a 960+ but not for now) and perhaps bump up the RAM to 16GB. The stock PSU is around 450 or 460W if I remember correctly, should this still be enough or would it struggle? What are the symptoms of it not keeping up, and is it safe to try the set up and upgrade the PSU later if need be, or could I fritz something? Cheers in advance :)

That should be fine, a 750Ti probably consumes less power than the 560 since it's two generations newer. Also I could've sworn I got an email from Nvidia saying they'd upgrade any 750Ti purchases to 950s for free...

Edit: Maybe not, the email says "Order a custom PC...", so yeah, I guess not. Sorry!

Last edited:
So I have a Dell i7 2600 3.4ghz, 12GB RAM with a relatively lowly GX560Ti. Hoping to update to a 750 such as this one (wish I could afford a 960+ but not for now) and perhaps bump up the RAM to 16GB. The stock PSU is around 450 or 460W if I remember correctly, should this still be enough or would it struggle? What are the symptoms of it not keeping up, and is it safe to try the set up and upgrade the PSU later if need be, or could I fritz something? Cheers in advance :)

From the manufacturer's site:

GX560Ti: 210W for the device, system PSU should be min 550W.

GX750Ti: 60W for the device, system PSU should be min 300W.

You should be good to go with no PSU changes. Oh, and that device rating was on the Amazon page you posted too ;)

Ironically enough, I too have some GPU issues. have an six core CPU, but a measly 650 GPU. I know that my rig can handle a more powerful GPU, but when I had the rig built, he must have slipped in the 650 because of the VGA port on that particular card.

Speccy 1.png

Thanks guys, as you can tell I'm not overly au fait with this kinda thing, wrongly assumed the higher spec cards consumed more power, didn't realise their relative efficiency more than offsets that! Will take a look at some 760s too, price is a big factor though (you can say "well for a little more..." ad infinitum)

EDIT: Might take a punt on this one

Last edited:
I just put in my max bid, a little lazily, and it went right up to that. Can't really be bothered with last minute one-potato-two-potato bidding so I've likely missed out there.

Sorry to DP but just won the card for £100.00, seller messaged me to say sorry it got damaged (hmmm) but that it wasn't worth that price anyway, there are better around. A little confused as 750Ti cards seem to be around £100.00 on Amazon etc. and the (more scarce) 760 cards a fair bit more. What am I missing?

I got another 760 for £93.00 and a Corvair Bronze 550W PSU, not fitted any of it yet though. The 760 seems better if more scarce than the 750 and uses more power, hence the new PSU. Hoping I don't have any compatibility issues, as I have one or two pernickety games like Ark: Survival Evolved.

Back