astrosdude91
The GTP Music Cool Wall presents:

Avenged Sevenfold

Avenged_Sevenfold_2005.jpg

http://www.avengedsevenfold.com/

Origins: Huntington Beach, California, USA
Genre(s): Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Metalcore
Years Active: 1999-present
Label(s): Good Life, Hopeless, Warner Bros.

Mildly cool when they first came out...now? Standard Nickelback fare that the world doesn't need any more of.

Major identity crisis with this band, here. They can't seem to decide what they're all about. I liked Batcountry if only for it's reference in song/video at F&LinLV.

Good when it comes out, everyone's talking about it, saying yeah it's awesome, then about one or two months later everyone forgets about it.

PS: Mike Portnoy joined because Portnoy was one of The Rev's (A7X's old drummer) favourite drummers at the time (I think).

That isn't a reason though.. He was in DT a band that's been going on for more then twice as long and has released tons of amazing albums.

Maybe he couldn't afford his insane drum kits anymore. To bad have his kit isn't every going to be used in A7x.

Not bad but i have no interest in new metal stuff...

Mike is 2011 best drummer and 2011 best Metal drummer. Im pretty sure he still has his sponsors. Either way after more than 25 years of DT im sure he could afford it on his own anyway. Mike is way bigger than all Avenged Sevenfold put togheter. :sly:

Dunno... I don't like them.

Avanged Sevenfold always struck me as a wannabe metal band that actually consists of a bunch of emo guys (and, in my opinion, their music reflects that). And that's exactly the kind of people that seems to listen to them, at least around here: Emos who like to think of themselves as some hardcore heavy metal listeners.

I don't really want to offend anyone, that's just the impression I have of the artist. Also, I find their songs to be, you know, generic, at least from what I've bothered to listen to so far.

Well, I don't know what they exactly are, it's just the impression I've had... As I said, might be because of the people that typically seem to listen to Avenged Sevenfold around here :lol:

Come again???? They most certainly are considered by many to be an emo-metal band. I've never come across anyone who has tried to say they're NOT emo before.

;)

I'd say that used to apply to them...now the best description is crappy radio rock in the vain of Nickelback and Three Days Grace.

I just watched a video of theirs. It screams emo to me.
Scream? Emo? Get it? ^_^

Anyways:
Avenged_Sevenfold.jpg

That makeup. Totally not emo, right? :sly:

I'd say that used to apply to them...now the best description is crappy radio rock in the vain of Nickelback and Three Days Grace.

More like in vein of everything on the radio since 1980. Minus a few bands here and there.

As for the not emo part.. Their looks has nothing to do with their music. From everything I've heard of them, nothing screams emo. And because they implement screams into their songs doesn't make them emo either.

Anyways, who cares.

That isn't a reason though.. He was in DT a band that's been going on for more then twice as long and has released tons of amazing albums.

Maybe he couldn't afford his insane drum kits anymore. To bad have his kit isn't every going to be used in A7x.

The reason Portnoy left DT was because Mike wanted a two year break, to recharge. But the others didn't want to so Mike left. Mike offered to come back at a later date, but it was just after Mike Mangini signed to be the new drummer. Poor Portnoy :(

PS: Back on topic, M. Shadows doesn't fit in there visually, but they're all good friends (I think) so that's how it is.

My problem with A7X is the fact everyone at school is amazed by a new album for a month or two, then it's forgotten.

Here is a recent picture of the band,

orig-11922041.jpg

I don't know how you guys think they sound like nickelback though. I don't think they sound very emo either, and I know I'm not emo and I listen to them all the time. They don't derserve the hall-of-fame, but I think they are good.

I really like the band it's just there hits and singles kinda suck, (bat country, almost easy, unholy confessions are good). To enjoy this band you have to look deep Into there not so popular stuff. There only emo song is a song called "I won't see you tonight part 1". I think this band is a lot more talented then what you here on your local hard rock radio. Here are some songs if you want to listen to them

Unholy confessions - cool rift kinda boring song
Chapter four - good song top 5
Remissions - heavy awesome song top 5
Second heartbeat - fast heavy
I won't see you tonight part 1 - nice lyrics piano, melodic, top 5
Bat country - radio song but insane drum work and decent guitar
Blinded in chains - insane song best outro top 5
Mia- favorite song awesome solo top 5
Almost easy - short, drumming song
Dear god - country song
Buried alive - slow song, heavy ending top5
Tonight the world dies - nice song
Scream-awesome beat
Trashed and scattered - great song to listen if your mad

Look these song on YouTube or type in live in lbc, they sound much better live

Overall- A7X looks are stupid, not really hall of fame, makes some awesome songs, hits and singles suck, but at least there inspiring some kids to take up drumming and guitar. Check out the band you might like them and RIP Jimmy the Rev.

Last edited:
^I agree with you 100 percent. Some of my favorites that people probably haven't heard are:

The Wicked End
Sidewinder
God Hates Us
Natural Born Killer
Dancing Dead
Demons
Trashed and Scattered
A Little Piece of Heaven
Desecrate Through Reverance

I say they are good. Definitely not hall of fame material.

They aren't my favorite band, but I do enjoy listening to them on occasion.

Take up a new profession ..... please !!! There is nothing about this artist that even starts to get me interested in them.

A big huge meh, City of Evil has it's good points but the rest of their work does nothing for me.

Back