Formerly known as “Crooooooow”
Premium
United States
Dallas, TX
Frank Zappa
Frank+Zappa.jpg

Background information

Birth name Frank Vincent Zappa
Born December 21, 1940(1940-12-21), Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.
Died December 4, 1993(1993-12-04) (aged 52), Los Angeles, California, U.S.

Genres Rock, jazz, classical, avant-garde

Occupations Composer, musician, conductor, producer Instruments Guitar, vocals, bass, keyboards, drums, synclavier

Years active 1950s–1993

Labels Verve, Bizarre/Straight/DiscReet/Barking Pumpkin

Associated acts The Mothers of Invention, Captain Beefheart, Steve Vai

Notable instruments
Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster
Gibson SG
Gibson Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster
Synclavier

This is a toughy for me. I know who Frank Zappa is, but to be honest, I couldn't even name any of his songs. I don't really know what he sounds like.

MEH

Who other than Frank Zappa would call his kids "Moon Unit" and 'Dweezil" ? This guy is out there. :lol:

People vote HOF for MJ but not for Zappa? Wtf...

He is probably one of the smartest musicians to grace this planet. IMO he was one of the most innovative musicians in the twenty-first century next to Toni Iommi. He is the definition of HoF. He helped fight against music censorship along with many other musicians during the 80's. If all that isn't HoF nothing is.

Well said 👍

I'm not surprised to see a lukewarm reception for Zappa - most (indeed, the vast majority) of his material is, in one way or another, challenging and often not what alot of people would describe as enjoyable music. However, my Zappa playlist on my iPod of my favourite songs stands at 24 tracks long, and each one is something special in its own right... IMO, alot of his stuff is difficult to get into, and there really is no easy starting point. The compilation "Strictly Commercial" is where I started, and even then it took several years before I enjoyed much of it. "Orange County Lumber Truck" was the first Zappa track that really made me sit up and listen, however.

I can't really add much to what Prosthetic and Touring Mars said. Absolutely HOF.

I only voted meh because I don't know enough about him and his music to make an educated vote. Perhaps I shouldn't have voted. That probably would have been the smarter thing to do.

Back