problems with S15 Silvia

• Thread starter cridrift
  • 5 comments
Italy
Italy
cry-drift
hi i was wondering why i can drift with basically any car but the nissan Silvia S15 doesn't feel smooth?
i tried balancing weight, tuning suspensions like other cars with the same weight balance etc
i always had problems in GT5,GT6 too with this car but still i can't understand why it's so twitchy.
no matter what i change in LSD or Suspension it kinda feels like it has a broken physic like if it grips a lot when countersteering, also the weight transfer probably might be a problem but it just doesn't feel smooth like any other car when sliding.

Probably best if you post your current setup, I'm happy to take a look/test drive.

I'll check my garage to see if I've tuned one yet, I definitely have an S13, but not sure about S15.

i tried many setups including the base setup with the maxed supensions and still had the same kind of feeling, while for example copying the same setup from the brz drift, which i'm currently running right now
2JZ engine maxed out (i tried with 580hp too)
no ballast cause the car has the same weight balance as the brz and very close to 50:50.
i tried different ride height with lowered front or rear and all the other settings.
probably the only think that maybe helped a bit is -0.30° (out) divergent front wheels with 0.15 (in) toe.
LSD i tried 60-60-50 as 20-60-60, kinda feel smoother with the last one even tho i remember using the first setting.
i'm also very rusty, i used to do 360entry but had problems with the s15 and loved the 350z for drifting which felt smoother and more controllable.

suspension:
front rear
100 100
5 5
35 35
45 45
2.35 2.35
5.1 1.5
0.30out(left) 0.10in (right)

Downforce 138 - 280 (tried with minimum too)

wide steering angle kit (even tho i prefer no wide angle kit)

top speed 230kmh/142mph (tried 320kmh/198mph, i just used a lower gear )

the feeling is like it suddently grips

I just dug out my S15 and did the engine swap.

First thing I noticed is that the car becomes much more of a handful with the 2JZ engine than stock. Sticking the Ultra Turbo on didn't make it worse and if anything helped a bit. I think this is partially because high power will be a handful in general, but also because the torque curve for the stock 2JZ engine drops off a lot at high revs. Possibly leading to the car wheelspinning less near redline and grip being regained. The High and Ultra turbos give a bit of a torque boost at higher revs so smooths this out a little.

Are you on CH tyres (GT community general use for drifting)?

I found that:
Lowering rear nat freq to 2.0 Hz
Lowering Front camber to -2.5 deg
...and setting the LSD to 5/5/5

made things feel smoother to me. The LSD will not be optimal like this, but let me know if these changes make the car feel any better and then we can tweak further.

Reasoning is that:
Lowering rear freq will give more understeer/stability, also making the rear axle softer and thus forces will come on a little slower, less twitchy.
Lowering front camber will give less initial bite and response when steering, again, making the car softer in response to countersteering.
Lower (more open) LSD all around will allow the car to rotate more at light or no throttle, but also not lock up as soon or as much at higher throttle, this lighter lock will give more gentle oversteer when you want to push the rear out.

Whereas a more locked LSD will give understeer/refusal to turn at light or no throttle, followed by massive oversteer as you open the gas, this will feel like a strong grip-slip transition.

Let me know how you get on with these settings :cheers:

I just dug out my S15 and did the engine swap.

First thing I noticed is that the car becomes much more of a handful with the 2JZ engine than stock. Sticking the Ultra Turbo on didn't make it worse and if anything helped a bit. I think this is partially because high power will be a handful in general, but also because the torque curve for the stock 2JZ engine drops off a lot at high revs. Possibly leading to the car wheelspinning less near redline and grip being regained. The High and Ultra turbos give a bit of a torque boost at higher revs so smooths this out a little.

Are you on CH tyres (GT community general use for drifting)?

I found that:
Lowering rear nat freq to 2.0 Hz
Lowering Front camber to -2.5 deg
...and setting the LSD to 5/5/5

made things feel smoother to me. The LSD will not be optimal like this, but let me know if these changes make the car feel any better and then we can tweak further.

Reasoning is that:
Lowering rear freq will give more understeer/stability, also making the rear axle softer and thus forces will come on a little slower, less twitchy.
Lowering front camber will give less initial bite and response when steering, again, making the car softer in response to countersteering.
Lower (more open) LSD all around will allow the car to rotate more at light or no throttle, but also not lock up as soon or as much at higher throttle, this lighter lock will give more gentle oversteer when you want to push the rear out.

Whereas a more locked LSD will give understeer/refusal to turn at light or no throttle, followed by massive oversteer as you open the gas, this will feel like a strong grip-slip transition.

Let me know how you get on with these settings :cheers:
i tried softening the natural frequency as you proposed but it feels worse in my opinion, it's just weird how it suddently snaps oversteer at some point, i tried changing controller sensitivity to 8 (i had 4) but still it feels weird.
i'm running on CH of course, using Dualshock.

example i have a 350z
suspensions:

Frontrear
height100100
anti roll bar66
compression3535
extension4545
nat. frequency1.902.10
negative camber2.51.6
toe angle0.000.20 convergent

LSD:

speed: 270kmh

maxed out with body rigidity too (original engine) same weight distribution as the silvia (53/47)

feels way smoother (engine has a smoother torque curve tho)

Back