PS3 Controller on PC (no adaptor needed).

• Thread starter RyanWreck
  • 5 comments
United States
AZ
RyanstencH
(I hope there wasn't already a thread for this. I searched and didn't come up with anything. The closest was a thread about buying an adapter in order to use Ps2 controllers with PC. I also apologize up front if this is breaking any rules. Once again I looked over the rules and didn't see anything I would be breaking.)

First of all, keyboard users, I want to ask; how the hell do you do it?!

But the main purpose of this thread is to share something with you. My wheel broke a little over a month ago so I had not been playing any PC racing-sims because using a keyboard is so annoying. Then I found out that I could use my PS3 Sixaxis on the PC. Yes, you can do it, no adapter needed since the PS3 pad uses USB, and best of all most of the better games support it. Now I know most of the hardcore sim guys will smell the stink of this thread a mile away but that's fine with me, I'm playing to the box seats.

This is what you'll want to do:

Go download these drivers:
http://dl.qj.net/SIXAXIS-driver-for-PC-PlayStation-3/pg/12/fid/11679/catid/518

1.) Download and extract the archive into a newly created folder on your (Desktop) for example
2.) Double click on "libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.10.1" in your new folder where everything is, and run through the installation process.
3.) Plug the SIXAXIS into your PC via your USB cable.
4.) Run ps3sixaxis_en.exe once. A black command prompt window will appear for a couple seconds. This is what is meant to happen as it is activating the new driver.
5.) When the window closes, press and hold the PS button on the Sixaxis controller for about 5 seconds.

If you want to see if the controller is being detected:

1. Go to Control Panel > Printers and Other Hardware > Game Controllers. (On Win7 just goto Control Panel > Classic View > Game Controllers)
2. Select the Playstation 3 controller and choose Properties. A dialog window will appear.
3. Move both the analog sticks and press the buttons. The cursor and bars will move in the Axis section and the numbers in the Buttons area will light up.
4. If output is displayed, the controller is properly detected and working fine.

I had to calibrate mine every time I plugged it back into to my USB port, but it is simple and takes no more than a minute each time. After it is calibrated you will want to learn where the buttons are assigned. It is usually something like this:

1. Select
2. L-Analog Stick pushed down
3. R-Analog Stick pushed down
4. Start
5. D-pad UP
6. ""RIGHT
7. ""DOWN
8. ""LEFT
9. L2
10. R2
11. L1
12. R1
13. TRIANGLE
14. CIRCLE
15. X
16. SQUARE
17. N/A
18. N/A
19. N/A

You should probably print this out so that when you play whatever game it is you want to play you can goto the Options > Controller Options (or whatever it may be) and assign the buttons where you want them to go (R2 accelerate, L2 Brake, etc, etc.) So far I have played GTR2, a handful of PSX emulator games, rFactor and the old Unreal Tournament with the Sixaxis. Most games that allow controllers will allow it, even a few Yahoo free games. Have fun!

Last edited:
I already knew this but thanks anyway, it still inspired me to plug it in and try again since I haven't in months. However I can't use it for PSX Emu games, but I don't think we can talk about that here anyway.

+Invisi Rep. 👍

A long time ago I got the drivers that you recommend above, but had problems.

I'd recommend Motion in Joy drivers, they work flawlessly:

http://www.motioninjoy.com/

I seen that but I was a bit apprehensive about trying it because half of the comments on their site claim these drivers caused damage to their computers or that they messed up their controller which will not work anymore for their PS3.

I seen that but I was a bit apprehensive about trying it because half of the comments on their site claim these drivers caused damage to their computers or that they messed up their controller which will not work anymore for their PS3.

Never had any problems with motion in joy myself, obviously can't speak for others, but I'd still recommend them highly! Strangely enough, I've had the best results using the 360 emulation mode.

With the libusb sixaxis drivers, my pc would only recognise the controller once in every 20 or 30 tries. I also can't remember if rumble was supported or not.

just curious, have you tried/tested the ps3sixaxis driver? i used to use it all the time on 32bit Vista, heck, using Xpadder, it WAS my mouse. Now i use Win7 64bit, and i don't have anymore Sixaxis controllers, just a DS3. Right now it doesn't work.

I tried that Motion in Joy, it cause more stress, Yeah it worked, but it didn't work RIGHT. Rumble CHECK, X button NOPE!!!

I tried to remap it with my fav program Xpadder, but the stupid MiJ program kept in sealed. GGGGRRRRRRR!!!!

Since it felt like the buttons (X O Triangle and Square) were mirrored and then rotated one button to the left, i decided it was NOT worth it. SCRAPPED.

Here i am once again, without a controller to play NFS:MW... THE ONLY PC CAR GAME I LIKE.

Now i'm pulling my hair over this, i have never been so frustrated. which is it? The Controller or the OS... is Ps3SixaxisEN not 64bit compatible? Or is it not able to detect a DS3???

ok... while i pray this is answered, i'll try to relax with some controlled breathing.
IN 12345
OUT 12345...

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Back