PS3's HDMI to PC Monitor's VGA?

Ferrari_458

Premium
England
Cumbria
Thomas_George
I have just bought a new monitor for my PS3 to play on, just to find out it only has a VGA input, even though it has 1080p HD. Is there any way to get the HDMI of the PS3 to connect to the VGA of the monitor because I don't want to have wasted my money on a HD monitor for it to run in not HD. I also want to have GT5 in the most screen quality possible so to get it in HD is very important for me.

So is there any way?

Thanks in advance :sly:

You can't, bro. Sorry. :(

This is due to two reasons, first, HDMI interfaces have something called "HDCP" which stands for High Definition Content Protection which your monitor has to support in order to be able to display your PS3's image on them. The PS3 requires an HDCP compliant devices in order to work on them. Now, while most newer computer displays are compliant, HDCP only applies to HDMI and DVI interfaces. So if you had a monitor with both VGA and DVI, you could buy an HDMI-DVI adapter and it would work just fine, sans the HDMI audio.

Unfortunately there is only one very ugly work around for you: Buy a composite video (yellow video plug) to VGA adapter and connect your monitor this way. The downside: Composite video output doesn't support HD on the PS3 (I think). Not to mention that being an analog signal, VGA-only monitors usually have horrendous response times, so I imagine you'd get image ghosting-galore.

Just return it and check the monitor's specifications next time... if buying a monitor with only VGA and DVI outputs it MUST say it's HDCP compliant, if buying a monitor with an HDMI input don't worry about HDCP, just resolution.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but Coxis is correct. Return the monitor (hopefully you can :scared:) and pick up on that runs 1920x1080 with at least one HDMI input.

A few people in it's reviews mention it working in 1080p but it doesn't specify HDCP support so it's a bit of a gamble. It's also not cheap, it's like half the price alone of an ok monitor.

It's also not cheap
Exactly. If you're willing to pay an additional £60 to make it work, personally I'd be more inclined to bring the monitor back and pay up to an additional £60 for a better (response time, resolution, etc.) one. [/broken record] :P

that monitor must be very old if it only has VGA, i also think you should maybe return it and get a better monitor w/ DVI and get a cheap hdmi/dvi converter for $5 or a monitor that has HDMI.

Its not old but its a new LED one so its extremely thin and thats all they can fit on it I gather. It was a brand new LG from Argos

What's the model name/number? I can't imagine a modern monitor being sold as full HD with only a VGA input.

Also, it will be very easy to take back, so don't worry about that.

Just had a look online, and it seems Argos have 2 monitors that fit his description. This 21.5" at £140 and this 22" at £120 are both full HD with only analogue input!

If he wanted to stick with LG, then I'd suggest returning his current one and buying this 23" for £160 with DVI, D-Sub and HDMI inputs. Cheaper, more flexible and less hassle than messing around with an expensive convertor.

My Samsung 23" HD was about the same price, you can get very good monitors for around the £150 mark.

Back