PS5+GT7 = 4k 120hz and VRR?

• Thread starter redhed17
  • 15 comments
United Kingdom
The Pool Of Life.
After a long on and off search I finally got a PS5, as part of a bundle, but at an acceptable price. 🙄 I got GT7 too. 🙂 So far so good.

I have a TV that says it can do 4k 120hz, on one of the HDMI's, and recently had a firmware update to enable Variable Refresh Rate. The TV is a Sony Bravia XR XR55A80J.

The PS5 says that my TV is not VRR compatible. 🤔

I've been on the Sony UK site and trying to find any answers, or anywhere to ask any questions, is, lets say, quite difficult. :banghead:

Is the HDMI cable that comes with the PS5 the 2.1 standard, and capable of 4k 120hz and VRR? And is there anywhere I can check this in GT7, in the PS5 or on the TV?

Is the HDMI cable that comes with the PS5 capable of VRR?

If the PS5 HDMI is not up to the job, has anyone used any reasonable HDMI cables in the UK that are 8k 48gbps certified, ultra high speed 4k120 8k60 144hz and about 2m long?

Lots of questions, but after dropping this much cash, I want to know that it is all working as well as it should be. ;)

After a long on and off search I finally got a PS5, as part of a bundle, but at an acceptable price. 🙄 I got GT7 too. 🙂 So far so good.

I have a TV that says it can do 4k 120hz, on one of the HDMI's, and recently had a firmware update to enable Variable Refresh Rate. The TV is a Sony Bravia XR XR55A80J.

The PS5 says that my TV is not VRR compatible. 🤔

I've been on the Sony UK site and trying to find any answers, or anywhere to ask any questions, is, lets say, quite difficult. :banghead:

Is the HDMI cable that comes with the PS5 the 2.1 standard, and capable of 4k 120hz and VRR? And is there anywhere I can check this in GT7, in the PS5 or on the TV?

Is the HDMI cable that comes with the PS5 capable of VRR?

If the PS5 HDMI is not up to the job, has anyone used any reasonable HDMI cables in the UK that are 8k 48gbps certified, ultra high speed 4k120 8k60 144hz and about 2m long?

Lots of questions, but after dropping this much cash, I want to know that it is all working as well as it should be. ;)
GT7 won't run at 120Hz.

I had exactly this issue with my Samsung q80t bought specifically as it supports hdmi 2.1 etc. I did the update to enable vrr but got same message as you did " your TV does not support it".
With a lot of trial and error I found that I had to go into tv menu for the display/ screen and start enabling things like automatic switch to game mode etc. Then it worked and allowed me to select vrr on the ps5. I think what happens is if I turn my ps5 off, and don't quickly turn off my TV, it goes back into "TV mode" and didn't automatically go back into game mode when I went back on my ps5. If that makes sense 🤪

This might help

This is the guide I used to eventually sort mine out. Although once I enabled hdr and vrr I couldn't notice any discernable difference in the graphics 🤷‍♂️👍

Shakengandulf, that explains why I saw no difference even after I managed to enable vrr and hdr! I thought it was my old non HD eyes!! 👀 😆😆👍👍

Keep in mind, the game itself will run at 60Hz. Some elements will run even slower.

If you are seeing anything faster than that, it's your TV blending frames, which takes a moment, and means there's going to be some delay between your input and the display.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.

I now understand that GT7 is not 120hz, or VRR, ;) but I should be able choose VRR outside of the game in the PS5 itself, but it says my TV doesn't do it. :confused: Either Sony were lying about their firmware update for the TV, or Sony did not include a HDMI cable capable of it.

Not sure if the HDMI cable that comes with the PS5 may be not up 2.1 standard. The HDMI 'standard' seems to be quite sketchy, and getting more so from the people in charge of the specifications muddying it all up. The PS5 was pre the crazy HDMI changes though, but I can't find what the spec of the cable is.

Does anyone have any info about the PS5 HDMI cable specs and what is possible using it?

I now understand that GT7 is not 120hz, or VRR, ;) but I should be able choose VRR outside of the game in the PS5 itself, but it says my TV doesn't do it. :confused: Either Sony were lying about their firmware update for the TV, or Sony did not include a HDMI cable capable of it.

Not sure if the HDMI cable that comes with the PS5 may be not up 2.1 standard. The HDMI 'standard' seems to be quite sketchy, and getting more so from the people in charge of the specifications muddying it all up. The PS5 was pre the crazy HDMI changes though, but I can't find what the spec of the cable is.

Does anyone have any info about the PS5 HDMI cable specs and what is possible using it?
My TV has a HDMI 2.1 port and I use the cable that came with the PS5 and it works fine. VRR enabled and 120hz when applicable. When the VRR update dropped, my PS5 also didn't pick up on the TV being VRR compatible but a reboot worked.

Make sure you are using the right port on the TV.

Last edited:

HDMI cable is up to spec with latest speeds, which i believe is 48gbps. Nothing wrong with cable.

Did you check the settings which i previously commented?
HDMI signal format must be changed to VRR. If you haven't done this already.

They should simply provide an unlocked frame rate option, it's just so simple. But Kaz probably doesn't want that because it would be "unfair", like having rotation on the chase cam 🙄

It's supposedly hdmi 2.1

They should simply provide an unlocked frame rate option, it's just so simple. But Kaz probably doesn't want that because it would be "unfair", like having rotation on the chase cam 🙄
It barely runs 60 and VRR is not supported. There's not much space for improvements. They would need new resolution mode with tuned details. If adding one race takes 14 days that would take 10 years at least.

Last edited:
@redhed17 your TV did get the update, how do I know? I have the 77” version of your TV.

You have to change the HDMI format on the TV.

1. On the supplied remote, press the HOME button.
  2. Select Settings or the
    Gear icon
    icon.
  3. Select External inputs in the TV category.
  4. Select HDMI signal format and set to Enhanced format / VRR
Be aware, I ran into a sound delay issue when using VRR mode on the TV and bouncing sound back via eARC to my Sennheiser Ambeo.

For HDMI I’m using Chord C-View cables. They’re 48GB 2.1 certified. I use these for all connection to the TV.

40E12466-6CB6-4416-A26C-B7B3BB1FDCC5.jpeg

Last edited:
Well my tv said it does VRR but i haven't got it working until now i went and found the list of supported games its not many so far lucky i had dirt5 for free
  • Astro's Playroom.
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War.
  • Call of Duty: Vanguard.
  • Destiny 2.
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition.
  • DIRT 5.
  • Godfall.
  • Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered.
Tv is always in game mode and vrr on but not active until the game loads up then you can see it doing its magic on the overlay

@redhed17 your TV did get the update, how do I know? I have the 77” version of your TV.

You have to change the HDMI format on the TV.

1. On the supplied remote, press the HOME button.
  2. Select Settings or the
    Gear icon
    icon.
  3. Select External inputs in the TV category.
  4. Select HDMI signal format and set to Enhanced format / VRR
Be aware, I ran into a sound delay issue when using VRR mode on the TV and bouncing sound back via eARC to my Sennheiser Ambeo.

For HDMI I’m using Chord C-View cables. They’re 48GB 2.1 certified. I use these for all connection to the TV.
Thank you Sprite, this seems to have solved my problem of the PS5 saying my TV did not support VRR. 👍 ;)

I thought I had been through all the menus on the TV, but apparently not. :banghead: :lol:

Back