PS5 to Release late 2020

• Thread starter AlanH49
  • 31 comments
Quick question, do you think that they will abandon the gt sport as soon as the ps5 comes out? You know... 3rd world problems, "fragile economy"

Even though a future Gran Turismo might feature on the PS5, this thread should still be in the Console and PC Gaming section. ;)

But its great news. The PS4 is getting old now, so a new generation is most welcome.

well on that wired article was reported this

Next, a version of Gran Turismo Sport that Sony had ported over to a PS5 devkit—a devkit that on quick glance looks a lot like the one Gizmodo reported on last week. (The company refused to comment on questions about how the devkit's form factor might compare to what's being considered for the consumer product.) Driving on the border between the track and the dirt, I could feel both surfaces. Doing the same thing on the same track using a DualShock 4 on a PS4, that sensation disappeared entirely. It wasn't that the old style rumble feedback paled in comparison, it was that there was no feedback at all. User tests found that rumble feedback was too tiring to use continuously, so the released version of GT Sport simply didn't use it.

I can see the reason behind these 8k demos of GTS

Has GT ever been a launch title before? If not, what’s the earliest it’s ever launched on a new console?

The PS1 was launched in Japan during December 1994 and September 1995 in NA. GT1 was launched in December 1997. GT2 was released in December 1999.
I think the longest wait we had was the wait for GT5. The PS3 was already 4 years old when GT5 launched. When Gt6 launched the PS3 was 7 years old.
We got GT Sport when the PS4 was about 3 years old.

Edit: Gt Sport launched when the PS4 was 4 years into its life cycle

Last edited:
Quick question, do you think that they will abandon the gt sport as soon as the ps5 comes out? You know... 3rd world problems, "fragile economy"
Even though PS5 has native Backwards Compatibility. I’d expect most major 1st Party titles to get an official update to take advantage of PS5. That would give PD some breathing space if they didn’t want to rush for PS5’s launch.

PS4 to PS5 will be as seamless a transition as we’ve seen to date. They want to encourage you to continue playing your PS4 library on PS5. Particularly online focused titles reliant on a thriving community. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Sport mode becomes cross-generational.

Even though PS5 has native Backwards Compatibility. I’d expect most major 1st Party titles to get an official update to take advantage of PS5. That would give PD some breathing space if they didn’t want to rush for PS5’s launch.

PS4 to PS5 will be as seamless a transition as we’ve seen to date. They want to encourage you to continue playing your PS4 library on PS5. Particularly online focused titles reliant on a thriving community. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Sport mode becomes cross-generational.
I expect (hope) the transition to PS5 will be like PS4 Pro. Existing PS4 games might get graphics updates to use PS5 capacity, instead of remasters. Difference will be that there'll be PS5 exclusives, where PS4 Pro had none.

Didn't we have a list of potential PS5 launch titles leaking a few months back? I seem to remember it featuring versions of Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima and "Gran Turismo 7"?

Nevertheless, after the gigantic mess that was the launch of Driveclub, releasing an updated, cross-gen version of Gran Turismo Sport on new consoles would be a safe bet, especially if the transition to new hardware is a seamless as advertised.

I expect (hope) the transition to PS5 will be like PS4 Pro. Existing PS4 games might get graphics updates to use PS5 capacity, instead of remasters. Difference will be that there'll be PS5 exclusives, where PS4 Pro had none.
I do think GT7 will be one of the showcase titles at PS5’s official reveal early next year. The development timelines all match-up. Other rumoured titles are a Bluepoint Demons Souls remake, Horizon Zero Dawn 2 etc. But a number of recent, and soon to be released, PS4 titles will obviously have significant updates for PS5. Likes of Death Stranding, Last of Us 2, Ghosts of Tsushima are probably already up and running on PS5 development hardware.

PS5 available mid 2020 with the VR option ok , that's all i want . GT7 can come after this , no problems , i will be perfectly entertained waiting for it.

Once the PS5 comes out and assuming the next Gran Turismo releases with it at or near launch, I'm pretty sure GT Sport will face the same fate as GT5 and 6 but GT Sport would literally be unplayable if the servers were to shut down.

I'd hate to fork up another $5-600 (my guess on price) for a console just to play online on Gran Turismo when we all know very well the PS5 will become obsolete eventually as well.

The way they talk about solid state drives is funny, because I cannot believe people still dont use them in their PS4s given the giant improvements they make.

I've said it for years and had SSDs in my consoles for years, they make a monumental difference in overall experience when compared to the stock garbage that comes with the console and given that they're cheap and easy to install it boggles my mind that people wont switch over.

The improvements for me have been huge in game installs, general ui speed, and any load screens, boot up times, and also game crashes of which I never get.

I've read in several sites , " Holidays 2020" , I thought it was the north hemisphere schools holidays in July ?

"Holidays" when used like that generally refers to the Thanksgiving through to Christmas period, so it's going to be late 2020 for the PS5 release.

The way they talk about solid state drives is funny, because I cannot believe people still dont use them in their PS4s given the giant improvements they make.

I've said it for years and had SSDs in my consoles for years, they make a monumental difference in overall experience when compared to the stock garbage that comes with the console and given that they're cheap and easy to install it boggles my mind that people wont switch over.

The improvements for me have been huge in game installs, general ui speed, and any load screens, boot up times, and also game crashes of which I never get.
Cerny discussed how an aftermarket SSD installed in a PS4 only gives modest gains. While the PS5 SSD, having been designed around it, is something like 10x-20x faster. It’s detailed in the previous Wired article.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/gamerant.com/ps5-spiderman-load-time/amp/

PS5 available mid 2020 with the VR option ok , that's all i want . GT7 can come after this , no problems , i will be perfectly entertained waiting for it.
I believe PS5'll only be released at the end of 2020, probably on October or November.
I've read in several sites , " Holidays 2020" , I thought it was the north hemisphere schools holidays in July ?
"Holidays" when used like that generally refers to the Thanksgiving through to Christmas period, so it's going to be late 2020 for the PS5 release.
Yes, capital H "Holiday" is a specifically United Statesian term that means the period from Thanksgiving to New Year* - although it's incredibly unlikely anyone would release anything in that week between Christmas and New Year because no-one's at home, the shops are only open half the time, and everyone buys gifts before and for Christmas, not after it.

Figure on the last week of November, first week of December.

*Every other holiday period is Vacation in the USA. Think of the Phineas and Ferb theme tune.

Has GT ever been a launch title before? If not, what’s the earliest it’s ever launched on a new console?
If the secondary releases count, then I believe it's GT HD Concept which was released a month after the PS3 was released. In PAL regions it was actually released on the same day as the PS3 was launched for the PAL regions.

Because it needs additional cost to even do such. Plus an SSD on a PS4 while does improve the performance in a way (mostly loading and copying, but not so much for the actual gaming itself), but its not as drastic and important as installing an SSD on the PC due to how computing generally works.

Because it needs additional cost to even do such. Plus an SSD on a PS4 while does improve the performance in a way (mostly loading and copying, but not so much for the actual gaming itself), but its not as drastic and important as installing an SSD on the PC due to how computing generally works.

It's not as drastic as a pc, but it's still a massive difference.

And it improved gaming with reduce load times in games (think red dead session switch load times) and also loads assets further in the distance way faster, with no "pop in"

Not to mention the lack if any crashes due to the standard drive being overloaded.

Additional cost or not, they're worth it.

Cerny discussed how an aftermarket SSD installed in a PS4 only gives modest gains. While the PS5 SSD, having been designed around it, is something like 10x-20x faster. It’s detailed in the previous Wired article.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/gamerant.com/ps5-spiderman-load-time/amp/

It cut loads time for me on bigger games by 50-60% .

All my games are digital, and therefore are heavily reliant on the type of drive, unlike people that use a disc.

Idk about you but installs/software installs being essentially instant as opposed to minutes, and loading screens/boot up times being cut by over half isnt what I'd call modest.

But I'm the one thst actually uses one and sees the benefit every day, so what do I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the best method for switching to an SSD if I currently run GT Sport off of the CD/Physical disk? Do I need to buy the digital version if I want to stop playing off the CD?

Latest Posts

Back