PSVR Superformula with halo testing

• Thread starter Haitauer
  • 23 comments
Finland
Finland
HI-tauer
Just tought i'd post a little video here. Tried the newly added Superformula today, and thought the halo was a pain in usual tv screen at first. Then started to wonder if it is as intrusive in PSVR.

Its actually amazing how naturally you stop caring about the halo once you see in vr. One can even see the difference in a video recording of the vr. Its just so immersive its a whole different experience to drive these formulas in VR. I must say theres some 25% of picture cut by the recording - for example the wheel is very well visible in actual vr while driving. My driving line are all over the place in this video.. sorry about that.:lol:👍

If only we had the whole game available in VR - and a slightly higher resolution display in psvr. The experience would be nothing short of amazing then..

Last edited:
This is what I'm waiting for before making the jump to VR. Maybe PS 5 + next gen PSVR.

And your driving wasn't that bad 👍 :).

Imagine doing this week’s Race C like this? PS5 cannot come soon enough.

Just cant wait next gen. I think it was money well spend now PSVR is just around 200e. Most of the time you forget the resolution and the head trackin in psvr is second to none. Also all the fun ive had with move controllers in games like superhot and work simulator and the crazy immersion when flying Ace Combat vr with a hotas stick is worth every cent.

Atleast i will get acclimatization to vr nausea before next gen drops.. :cheers:

Ps. The lighting in GTS is just amazing. Makes everything inside car look very real. :)👍

Last edited:
Just cant wait next gen. I think it was money well spend now PSVR is just around 200e. Most of the time you forget the resolution and the head trackin in psvr is second to none. Also all the fun ive had with move controllers in games like superhot and work simulator and the crazy immersion when flying Ace Combat vr with a hotas stick is worth every cent.

Atleast i will be aclimatized to vr nausea when next gen drops.. :cheers:

Ps. The lighting in GTS is just amazing. Makes everything inside car look very real. :)👍
I've been weighing up the pros and cons of getting VR this gen and the nausea acclimatization was on the pro side, but the price is still to high down here in Australia for the use I'd get out of it. I've still been looking for one at a price I can justify to myself (and the wife ;)), either on sale or second hand, but had no luck so far, so I'll just keep looking I guess.

Yep completely agree, so much better in VR, couldn't stand the Halo in 2d. One of the best driving experiences I've had on PSVR, just need more content. Pikes Peak in DR1 and AC7, Mission 3 in the valleys, being the other standout experiences I've found. Worth every cent.

happily playing beat saber with my PSVR. I'll give GTS another try, but the resolution was awful on my last experience in GTS

Pikes Peak in DR1 and AC7, Mission 3 in the valleys, being the other standout experiences I've found

happily playing beat saber with my PSVR. I'll give GTS another try, but the resolution was awful on my last experience in GTS

Psvr resolution is a bit harsh, but you can get used to it. I think flying games are the crown jewel of any VR - the immersion in dogfight is insane and resolution is not an issue as the cockpit close by is ok quality and the low resolution scenery is so far most of the time it feels natural.

Res is a bit harsh like looking through a stocking at times, but the immersion well and truly makes up for it. I find getting the headset setup and located well helps a bit.

I drove the sf in vr at my friends house and man was it awesome. I even tried it at night bathurst with no lights and somehow didnt crash lmao.

Now when i try race c i just cant use cockpit because of the goddaman halo post blocking my view. In vr you just look past it and you can rip. almost forgot i was using a controller. But yeah they should fix regular cockpit view to make the halo less annoying because it isnt how it actually looks sitting in there. It isnt a solid post blocking your view.

I drove the sf in vr at my friends house and man was it awesome. I even tried it at night bathurst with no lights and somehow didnt crash lmao.

Now when i try race c i just cant use cockpit because of the goddaman halo post blocking my view. In vr you just look past it and you can rip. almost forgot i was using a controller. But yeah they should fix regular cockpit view to make the halo less annoying because it isnt how it actually looks sitting in there. It isnt a solid post blocking your view.

More head movement / shake and early look to apex would help. Also adjusting the view helps some.

I am so close to buy PSVR.

Only reason I dident already is because I fear the motion sickness. I can already become very sick and get a big headegg just from playing some games normally, mostly shooters. I dont have any problems in sim racing.

How was your expirience with motion sickness in GT sport, and Dirt rally ?

Only reason I dident already is because I fear the motion sickness. I can already become very sick and get a big headegg just from playing some games normally, mostly shooters. I dont have any problems in sim racing.

Got some slight sickness after first few times, but sickness stays away after few hours of play. Just stop playing when you start feeling sick.

I've been using PSVR on and off since it came out and GT Sport gives me no ill effects whatsoever. It all feels very natural (and awesome, particularly the SF). Dirt Rally on the other hand :yuck::yuck::yuck:

It can be a little random as to what feels fine and what doesn't.

Is there anywhere to compare lap times in PSVR?

Not used mine for a bit but will definitely try the SF car, would be nice to have some times to chase.

Yeah, at first I thought it was going to feel like driving with a thong over my face but after two turns and visually hunting for the next apex you don't notice it anymore. Essentially a non-issue just like all of the drivers said.

I've been using PSVR on and off since it came out and GT Sport gives me no ill effects whatsoever. It all feels very natural (and awesome, particularly the SF). Dirt Rally on the other hand :yuck::yuck::yuck:

It can be a little random as to what feels fine and what doesn't.
My experiences exactly. Gt sport I am fine. Dirt rally, not at all I can't handle two corners. The halo in the SF is non existent (not a bother) in VR. And tbh am not bothered by it in 2d either. Play cockpit view in F1 game with halo on and in GT sport race C all week no problems. If you can see it, it mean you are going straight so nothing to worry about, you need to see the apexes and there are no issues here. Awesome cars by the way, can't get enough.

The most disappointing aspect of VR for me was the lack of peripheral vision that I had imagined. The FOV when looking straight ahead is not that far apart from a 2D screen. Anyone else?

The most disappointing aspect of VR for me was the lack of peripheral vision that I had imagined. The FOV when looking straight ahead is not that far apart from a 2D screen. Anyone else?

Well in real life you would be wearing a race helmet which already limits your FOV. I would say VR FOV is pretty realistic.

Well in real life you would be wearing a race helmet which already limits your FOV. I would say VR FOV is pretty realistic.

I was about to say this. Wearing the PSVR headset does make your peripheral vision a little limited, but in games where you'd be wearing a helmet it actually adds to the immersion. In addition to racing games, Ultrawings springs to mind as does the diving experience on the demo disc.

And when a slight turn of the head means you can look directly at the apex of a sharp corner or where another car is makes a world of difference. Driving in VR feels very natural and I'm much more consistent with lap times as a result. Using pancake mode I feel half blind.

Cockpit view with the car normally gets better and better the more I use it, and VR makes it perfect!

Here’s an interesting challenge: Bathurst at night time.
Going down the mountain with only like 3% visibility is intense!

Back